I will remove it before the deadline (from a shop) 73 8.99%
I will ground my car and wait & watch for the order to change 375 46.18%
Mine are factory fitted and I can't remove them 39 4.80%
Voters: 812. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2012, 16:17   #391
BHPian

Re: Your reaction to the Sun Film Verdict? EDIT - Ban in effect post 25th July judgem

Here, at trivandrum, the cops walk to the middle and forces the driver to stamp on the brakes. After ensuring a complete stop, the cops note the vehicle number, and asks the driver to follow them to the RTO testing ground. There they peel a small portion of the film using a blade, and orders the owner to peel the remaining film.

I have seen the complex procedure on a VW vento. The owner had got his eyes wet atlast
Old 27th July 2012, 16:43   #392
BHPian

Re: Your reaction to the Sun Film Verdict? EDIT - Ban in effect post 25th July judgem

I travel frequently across India on work and over the past couple of months, have kept my eyes open for the trends in sun films in various cities. Based on what I have seen, it appears enforcement is all in the hands of the local police with huge levels of subjectivity. For instance

Bangalore: I stay here and on an average, ~40-50% of cars still sport tints. Have not seen cops stop cars for this offence anywhere though many other BHPians have reported seeing cops in action. Most cabs have removed the films though.

Chennai: Whilst there are reports of fines, more than half the vehicles appear to have tints, including some really dark ones. Sporadic fining seems to be the norm of the day. All police / Govt cars that I saw have dark tints !!!

Mumbai / Pune / Coimbatore: Almost all vehicles have tinted films, as if nothing has changed. Got a 10 day old Ertiga as my cab y'day at Pune and it had dark films. When I asked the driver about it, his response was "Kuch nahin hoga sir.... All the cars have it and so I installed them too" !!!

Delhi / NCR: This is the only area where enforcement appears to be strict with virtually all cars being free of any sun films.

Shows the abilities of the regulators to enforce (rather, lack of it !!!) the absurd rule !
aroonanand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2012, 17:22   #393
Distinguished - BHPian

I still see a lot of cars with films out of which some have real dark films even on the windshield. I was stopped since I had dark films all around. This happened almost 3 weeks back when the checking was happening all around the city. But now, I dont see any such action from the police except checking for drunk drivers.

Cant stand the high beams at night!
Old 27th July 2012, 18:09   #394
BHPian

My friend drove down from from Pune to Delhi last week, and faced sun film trouble at only three points: near Udaipur, Jaipur and Delhi border. He has 30% dark films.
The Rajasthan stops were actually because his is a Delhi reg'd car and not based on the film. There he was issued a 300 INR fine both times and allowed to drive on.
At the Delhi border he was issued a 100INR fine and that's it. No ripping, no tearing.

From what I've observed, the Delhi cops atleast now are only stopping the heavier films and the ones with lighter shades are not stopped.
Old 27th July 2012, 19:28   #395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
I am not seeing this enforced anywhere in Tamilnadu apart from Chennai. If you visit Chennai, the probability of getting caught is very high.
When this ban came up initially I was in Nilgiris District and the policemen there took this very seriously and insisted on removing sun film on the spot.

Now when I went there again I could see hardly any vehicle sporting sun film. Kudos to The Nilgiris police
narchennai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2012, 20:11   #396
Senior - BHPian

I got fined today near turnbulls flyover near Toyota showroom. They were specifically fining for films. My second fine since the ban. Avoid that route post 10am.

Rs 100 and a nice jovial discussion. Cop wanted to know my sunglass & Watch brand and info on my RC radio lying on the parcel tray. I still have no intention to remove unless removed by cops. So not very serious, just achieving the monthly targets
Old 30th July 2012, 20:22   #397
BHPian

I got pulled over in JP Nagar today. Fined Rs.100. This is the first time I have been stopped in 3 months (?).

Come what may, I am not removing my sunfilms.

Last edited by veyron_head : 30th July 2012 at 20:26.
Old 30th July 2012, 20:28   #398
BHPian

The accessory shop near my place (which i cross by daily while going to office) was removing sun films every day from cars when this order was issues. These days, people are putting back the sun films. Also, a lot of cars i see on the road everyday still have the darker films installed.
Old 30th July 2012, 20:42   #399
Senior - BHPian

I've removed sunfilms on all 3 of our cars at home, however when i see many cars with dark films roam around freely and go scott free, i feel like a fool.

The whole objective behind the ban was to "stop" cars from being used for criminal acts. What if the cars which currently have films are used for such activities ?

I've not seen cops stop and check cars with sunfilms now, all the enthusiasm died 10 days since the deadline. There is no point in having such a ban when there is no effective enforcement of it. Only the law abiding citizens are inconvenienced, its hardly a deterrent to the criminals.

Post the ban, criminals have resorted to attacking in full public view. Like what happened in Assam and 2 days ago in mangalore, and ofcourse in true bollywood style, where a man was hacked to death on NH-4 after being followed by 5 cars! wonder what our law makers have to say now
Old 30th July 2012, 21:18   #400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
I've removed sunfilms on all 3 of our cars at home, however when i see many cars with dark films roam around freely and go scott free, i feel like a fool.
Out of every 10 cars i count, almost 7 of them still have the sunfilms on them and the cops just let them pass. Very rarely the cops swoop in and start stopping them. Also on facebook I saw pictures being posted of cars sporting sun films and BTP assuring that action will be taken.

I honestly miss my sun films

Last edited by sumathindra : 30th July 2012 at 21:18. Reason: edits
Old 30th July 2012, 21:22   #401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Cant stand the high beams at night!
Yes this is the real menace. I still can't understand why these morons keep the high beams while in busy city traffic.
Two days back I was returning from Kozhikode and in the weekend traffic got sandwiched between oncoming and trailing hi-beamers.
Old 31st July 2012, 10:46   #402
BANNED

Any update on Goa? I will drive down on the 14th of August and will be there till the 19th.

I do not have any film on my front windscreen but have 50% visibility 3M film all round on the other glasses.

Fine is ok, it is the ripping which I want to avoid.
Old 31st July 2012, 11:01   #403

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Any update on Goa? I will drive down on the 14th of August ..
I'm from Goa and have never been stopped nor seen any vehicle being stopped during my regular Margao-Panjim drives. I believe there isn't much action/enforcement North of the capital either. I was however fined once on my way to Karwar (past Canacona) and once just inside the Karnataka border on the same route for my 60%? 3Ms. Both times just Rs 100 fine.. No tearing.
However, considering it's near Independence day you are coming note that and Goa tends to have lots of police checking around then. Be prepared with your documents in order and a few Rs 100s.
.McLaren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2012, 14:49   #404
BHPian

Yesterday, one of my friend got pulled over. Being a light tint, he argued with the cops and finally the cops admitted his claim and let him go.

No fine, no tearing, no hassles.
Old 31st July 2012, 17:02   #405
Senior - BHPian

A colleague got fined Rs100 on Sunday at Chennai, but was not asked to remove it. He anyway did a DIY job of removing it and is left with gum residue all over the windows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo
I got fined today near turnbulls flyover near Toyota showroom. They were specifically fining for films. My second fine since the ban. Avoid that route post 10am.
Today at 8:30AM I crossed that place and noticed cops standing around and catching people, but could not make out what offense they were targetting.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 31st July 2012 at 17:04.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks