I will remove it before the deadline (from a shop) 73 8.99%
I will ground my car and wait & watch for the order to change 375 46.18%
Mine are factory fitted and I can't remove them 39 4.80%
Voters: 812. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2012, 18:39   #406
BHPian

Re: Your reaction to the Sun Film Verdict? EDIT - Ban in effect post 25th July judgem

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Any update on Goa? I will drive down on the 14th of August and will be there till the 19th.

I do not have any film on my front windscreen but have 50% visibility 3M film all round on the other glasses.

Fine is ok, it is the ripping which I want to avoid.
Dont worry,in most places the cops are not bothered about sunfilms.I have only seen some cops(panjim bus stand) stop people with jetblack films,only a fine, no tearing etc. but the only place where cops were active,dont know if they still are is the ponda area, i heard they used to fine any car which had sunfilms but this was done soon after the SC verdict was out.Dont worry much. enjoy your stay here
rambo1o1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2012, 19:07   #407
BANNED

Re: Your reaction to the Sun Film Verdict? EDIT - Ban in effect post 25th July judgem

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
Dont worry,in most places the cops are not bothered about sunfilms.I have only seen some cops(panjim bus stand) stop people with jetblack films,only a fine, no tearing etc. but the only place where cops were active,dont know if they still are is the ponda area, i heard they used to fine any car which had sunfilms but this was done soon after the SC verdict was out.Dont worry much. enjoy your stay here
Thanks Rambo, that was some genuine relief to me. So as long as I have my other documents right, it should be ok I guess.
Old 31st July 2012, 19:57   #408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Thanks Rambo, that was some genuine relief to me. So as long as I have my other documents right, it should be ok I guess.
I've seen cops tearing sun film at Dairy circle today morning around 10:30am, so this is a very subjective thing.. sometimes they let you off, some cops want to stop you and do the needful.
Old 31st July 2012, 20:26   #409
BHPian

I got my tints removed last month but retained the Wind Shield tints which are green. I have not been pulled over by cops as yet, though I pass hoards of them on ORR. I guess they are programmed to stop only the Black one's.

Last edited by aditbelw : 31st July 2012 at 20:27. Reason: Typo..
Old 31st July 2012, 22:28   #410
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
I dont see any reason why a judgement cant be reversed just because it was imposed for a certain period and "some people were impacted by the same
Ha Ha! Really is it that hard? I've seen this reason in many other judgments as well. Its very evident, but don't want to start a new debate here, so no use putting this in words here.
Old 1st August 2012, 03:07   #411
BHPian

Hey I saw an article in Tuesday's Times Of India paper where MA Saleem (the top traffic cop of Bangalore) has mentioned that only high end cars like Mercs, BMW, Jags, Honda and Toyota are allowed to run with tints as they are OEM. Indian cars are not permitted to have any film (stuck on). I feel that is unfair and unjust. Now a trick question: What if I install a black tinted windshield (no film) on my 'Indian' car? That would make it part of OEM (if sourced from MGA) no?

Cheers!
Rohan
Old 1st August 2012, 06:24   #412
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
Now a trick question: What if I install a black tinted windshield (no film) on my 'Indian' car? That would make it part of OEM (if sourced from MGA) no?
Question: Is such glass available ?
p.s: If yes, please let me also know
Old 1st August 2012, 09:23   #413
Distinguished - BHPian

So is it safe to now assume that the rule is going to stay? In the articles following the last hearing it was mentioned that the court is still going to hear the review petitions of the sun film industry. Its really surprising to believe that the sun film companies let this rule stay so easily without any fight. I am sure they could have sought some relief through the backdoor channels and also by creating some media noise.
Old 1st August 2012, 12:45   #414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey I saw an article in Tuesday's Times Of India paper where MA Saleem (the top traffic cop of Bangalore) has mentioned that only high end cars like Mercs, BMW, Jags, Honda and Toyota are allowed to run with tints as they are OEM. Indian cars are not permitted to have any film (stuck on). I feel that is unfair and unjust. Now a trick question: What if I install a black tinted windshield (no film) on my 'Indian' car? That would make it part of OEM (if sourced from MGA) no?

Cheers!
Rohan
That article itself is quite misleading. Just below the article title they say you can have sunfilms on cars but then in the highlight box it talks about OEM tinted windows.

Why so much confusion is what I do not understand, add to that newspapers releasing these articles creates some more confusion. Any how the monsoon season is here so we can make do without the films at least till next summer here in Bangalore.
Old 1st August 2012, 12:53   #415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Cheers!
Rohan
I read that headline, but I couldn't go through the article, the translation is this, high end cars with VIP number plates are owned by powerful people and in keeping with their usual procedures, cops won't dare to stop them.

MA Saleem can do a better job instructing the force to give priority to ambulances that are stuck in traffic, however that won't get him column inches in TOI.
Old 1st August 2012, 16:13   #416
BHPian

This is the clipping :
" High-end car? The sun film can remain
Jul 31, 2012, 01.34AM IST TNN[ Aparajita Ray ]

BANGALORE: Do you drive an Audi, Merc, BMW, Jaguar or Porsche that's manufactured outside the country? Then fret not about paying fine for the tinted glass, even if the traffic cop asks you to. The top cop of traffic police department confirmed that the tinted glasses fitted in cars manufactured and imported from foreign countries are exempted from the Supreme Court ban.

Confusion prevails among vehicle owners, even three months after the transport department and traffic police launched a crackdown on sun films in cars. "The apex court order clearly says that high-end cars manufactured outside the country and imported are exempted from the ban," said MA Saleem, additional commissioner of police (traffic).

Meanwhile, owners of high-end vehicles are complaining that cops have fined them. One such complainant said that the cop told him that he was given a daily target by his superiors to crack down on 20-odd vehicles having sun films. Under performance pressure, these traffic policemen, resort to collecting fine from vehicles which are exempted as per the SC order.

Saleem said: "We have never issued such diktats. About 12,000 cars in the city have been booked in the past two-and-half months for not removing sun films. If we would have still continued, this figure would have shot up drastically and unscientifically."

He said about 90% of cars have now removed sun films and the remaining 10% belong to the category of high-end vehicles which are exempted from the ban.

What do the rules say

While Section 100 of Central Motor Vehicles Act 1989 does not ban the use of curtains for car windows, the apex court has made it clear that it cannot be allowed, claimed Saleem, and added: "We are following the SC order."

Rule 100 of the Act stipulates 70% visibility for windscreens and 50% for windows. Traffic police and regional transport officers (RTOs) are empowered to inspect vehicles and penalize owners.

Which cars are exempted

High-end cars manufactured by companies like Honda, Ford, Toyota, Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche and Jaguar are exempted as they come with factory-fitted tinted glasses, and fall under the category of Original Equipment Manufacturer. The apex court order says the glass should be in the condition it was when delivered by the maker. Only owners of India-made vehicles, who have added tints to windows after purchasing their vehicles, will have to remove them.

"

The best part of this is Mr Saleem says, 90% of cars have removed sun film and rest 10% belong to the high end variety.

In nut shell, this seems a bad reporting by TOI. No where has the cops mentioned sun film, he was mentioning about the tinted glasses which comes as OEM, which is allowed as per SC order.
mannubhai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2012, 16:18   #417
Team-BHP Support

That is really stupid reporting. My Hyundai i10 Sportz has factory tints with 70% visibility. Didn't realize i10 was so high-end.
Old 1st August 2012, 16:23   #418
Senior - BHPian

HaHa... even my '03 Santro Zing has 70% visibility tinted glasses straight form factory... & it is not a premium hatch even.

I believe policemen are refraining from acting against these so called high end cars to avoid being posted to low revenue area, & reading between lines of the law.

Last edited by CARDEEP : 1st August 2012 at 16:24.
Old 1st August 2012, 16:31   #419
BHPian

I dont think its high end v/s low end. The way supreme court seems to have interpreted the law is -
'If the OEM glass came tinted from the manufacturer, there is no violation. Sticking films of whatever grade/visibility on the OEM glasses is not legal."
Further it has noted that putting curtains is against the spirit of that law and I think even that is not allowed.
So any car that has company provided tinted glass would be legal. Putting even 100% visible film (if there is such a thing) is illegal.
Old 2nd August 2012, 11:14   #420
BHPian

I had recently removed the sun film on my two cars. The biggest problem I seem to face, more than lack of privacy is the HIGH BEAM LIGHTS at night shining through the rear window onto my rear view mirror. Unfortunately my Zen Estilo does not have Vanity Mirror and as a result, I am literally blinded. I have realized people use High Beam Lights for no apparent reason on a well lit road. Sun Film helped block a bit of that high beam light before, now it has become really hard to drive.
BoeingDriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks