I will remove it before the deadline (from a shop) 73 8.99%
I will ground my car and wait & watch for the order to change 375 46.18%
Mine are factory fitted and I can't remove them 39 4.80%
Voters: 812. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2012, 22:05   #421
BHPian

Re: Your reaction to the Sun Film Verdict? EDIT - Ban in effect post 25th July judgem

This is the article in TOI. This makes it confusing a bit for me. Now, is this applicable only in Bangalore or Rest Of India too? The article is too complicated for me to comprehend.

Help

Car owners need not wary of tinted glass - The Times of India

Quoting below:

====
BANGALORE: Even if you have an ordinary car and not a high-end, imported car, having tinted glasses, allowing 70 per cent of visibility is exempted. The cars which come out from the manufacturer shop with tinted glass will be exempted.

"The SC has prohibited use of black films of any Visual Light Transmission (VLT) percentage or any other materials on safety glasses, wind screens (front and rear) and side glasses of all the vehicle throughout the country. Be it any car manufactured by any company and irrespective of price, if comes out with a tinted glass, can be exempted from the ban imposed by the apex court," cleared MA Saleem, additional commissioner of police (traffic).

The SC order on ban on sunfilm states: In terms of Rule 100(2), 70 per cent and 50 per cent Visual Light Transmission (VLT) standard are relatable to the manufacture of the safety glasses for the windshields (front and rear) and the side windows respectively. Use of films or any other material upon the windscreen or the side windows is impermissible in law. It is the VLT of the safety glass without any additional material being pasted upon the safety glasses which must conform with manufacture specifications.

It further clarifies that if the manufacturer of the vehicle has manufactured it with tinted glass, assuring 70 per cent VLT and side glasses as 40 per cent VLT respectively and no black film or any other material can be pasted on the windscreens and side glasses of a vehicle.

Even the Section 52 of the Central Motor Vehicles Act 1988, states that the vehicle owner should not further change or alter any part of the vehicle, after the manufacture of the vehicle as contained in the certificate of registration.

====
Old 3rd August 2012, 00:13   #422
BHPian

Re: Your reaction to the Sun Film Verdict? EDIT - Ban in effect post 25th July judgem

Nothing confusing here.
Ban is applicable only for the additional materials(films) used to control VLT regardless of the percentage. If your cars, being any make and model, comes with factory fitted tinted glass manufactured according to the VLT norms, then it is exempted.
This simply means that films of any VLT percentage are banned. But manufacturer tinted glasses are permissible, if built according to the VLT norms.
Old 3rd August 2012, 01:06   #423
Senior - BHPian

Simple. If your car has factory fitted tinted glasses, you are exempt. If you have put aftermarket sun film on the glasses, you are breaking the law.
Old 3rd August 2012, 02:41   #424
BHPian

Yup nothing confusing there, straight up as explained above.

Anyway, I've taken off the films from my Alto (30% dark Garware, 3 years old), came off easily. Some regular drives to Gurgaon planned this week and the toll point has witnessed some rippings recently.
Old 3rd August 2012, 12:15   #425
BHPian

I took the wait and watch approach to see how things pan out. Looks like the ban is here to stay. There was a crackdown couple of days back in chennai and the cop was saying that they are facing a lot of heat from the commissioner's office to act on the sun film ban. So i removed the films after the 100 rupee fine.

One question to owners who have removed the films from the rear glass with defoggers: The guy who removed the films advised that removing it from the rear glass will definitely damage the rear defogger and he stayed away from it. Any pointers on whether it is safe to remove without damaging the rear defoggers?
Old 3rd August 2012, 12:52   #426
Senior - BHPian

Now its the proverbial Sh** hitting the ceiling , expect sterner enforcement which ,at least in Mumbai , was pretty lax and guys like me benefitted from it

" The Supreme Court today warned the Director Generals of Police and Commissioners of Police in all the states and union territories of contempt action if they fail to take action on use of tinted glasses in vehicles"

Full article link Remove tinted glasses on vehicles or face action: SC warns police - Indian Express
Old 3rd August 2012, 13:42   #427
BHPian

Sorry, my mistake. The reason I was confused was, if we have the VLT 70-50 exempted rule for cars which come out from the manufacturer shop with tinted glass then why cannot it be the same for 70-50 rule for tinted films? Apologies for my ignorance.

Note from Mod : Please DO NOT copy paste from word document. Use notepad or type directly into team-bhp text editor

Last edited by mobike008 : 3rd August 2012 at 15:25.
Old 3rd August 2012, 13:57   #428
Senior - BHPian

Why SC is so much hell bent on this SunFilm issue?

If they work that hard to clear the backlog of lakhs of cases jamming up the system and provide speedy justice then that will reduce the crime.

Indian judicial system right now is so much like a clogged toilet.
download2live is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 16:45   #429
BHPian

Read this today. Tinted glasses in vehicles: Police officials to face action | NDTV.com

SC says it will treat as contempt of court for cops not enforcing this.
Old 3rd August 2012, 17:03   #430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the VTEC guy View Post
Read this today. Tinted glasses in vehicles: Police officials to face action | NDTV.com

I really do not understand why no one is talking about the failure of the RTO's and the money made by manufacturers of these films and action to be taken on them!

If the law say's no film should be put on the glass, how for so many years it was ignored and allowed people to make money out of this business. Finally who has suffered - we who put them and tore them again due to a PIL by a spirited individual

In fact the cops should be questioned why they allowed people to flaunt the rule in the first place.

Last edited by sumathindra : 3rd August 2012 at 17:04. Reason: edits
Old 3rd August 2012, 17:04   #431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the VTEC guy
Well, if the verdict is going to stay, it might as well be implemented uniformly. So, if contempt-of-court gets the cops to move, so be it.

No point setting a precedent where people start disregarding orders because of the feeling that after a few days of "implementation" things can be back to square-one.
Not to mention all the ripping of costly films, lakhs of rupees of fines and policing effort that went in to initially implement the order.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 3rd August 2012 at 17:11.
Old 3rd August 2012, 17:14   #432
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by the VTEC guy View Post

Here is one more article about the same ruling/announcement...whatever.

Tinted glasses in vehicles: Act or face contempt action, SC warns cops - The Times of India

How jobless can the judiciary be in our country?

When there are lacs of cases rotting away in the wait for justice at courts of all levels, the Supreme Court considers the tints on passenger cars a prime issue of importance for the country's well being.

Wish I could use some more smilies.
n.devdath is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 17:25   #433
Senior - BHPian

I personally have seen a lot of antisocial elements in and around Delhi driving around with tinted glasses and doing all sought of nasty things. I believe it is a rootcause of quite a many crimes here.
I do not know if Supreme court is right or wrong but this is the easiest way of curbing the menace when the percentage law was not being enforced as it should have been.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 17:35   #434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
When there are lacs of cases rotting away in the wait for justice at courts of all levels, the Supreme Court considers the tints on passenger cars a prime issue of importance for the country's well being
In the court's defence, SC doesn't get to pick cases - the citizens bring their cases to the court. Anybody who can pay the court fee can get their case filed.
Regarding the pending cases, its likely that they are pending due to incomplete investigation. There would be hardly any pending for want of date for hearing.
Old 3rd August 2012, 17:45   #435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Regarding the pending cases, its likely that they are pending due to incomplete investigation. There would be hardly any pending for want of date for hearing.
Likely. but there are also lots of cases pending in lower courts due to these reasons. Some are stonewalled. I feel ashamed even to point at harishv's case against Skoda. I am not knowledgeable enough to comment on what happens at SC. Even more reason why they should have thrown the rulebook at cops and asked them to enforce the existing 50/70 visibility rule. Use common sense, anything that isnt visible should be checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
I personally have seen a lot of antisocial elements in and around Delhi driving around with tinted glasses and doing all sought of nasty things. I believe it is a rootcause of quite a many crimes here.
As it is, existing punishment for apprehended criminals is inadequate or delayed. This needs to be corrected before we start painting all common people with the same brush. In essence this is saying that we dont trust our own citizens. Well, maybe we dont deserve it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
No point setting a precedent where people start disregarding orders because of the feeling that after a few days of "implementation" things can be back to square-one.
Now after a two month lull, everyone will wake up again and try to work on a rule that nobody wants. Not the cops nor the common man. The guys with dark tints will still move around the same way, because no cop dare stop them. I mean, come on, do we really expect cops to stop a SUV with party stickers and pull the film off it? I would be surprised to see that happen. They are not even pulled over for otehr traffic offences, take numberplates in regional languages or fancy designs. Isnt that a risk too? Does anything happen there?

You and I would usually be aware of the rules and will most of the times have installed legally permissible films after asking the installer 10 times if it is withing legal limits.

Last edited by selfdrive : 3rd August 2012 at 17:47.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed