I will remove it before the deadline (from a shop) 73 8.99%
I will ground my car and wait & watch for the order to change 375 46.18%
Mine are factory fitted and I can't remove them 39 4.80%
Voters: 812. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2012, 14:19   #106
BHPian

re: Your reaction to the Sun Film Verdict? EDIT - Ban in effect post 25th July judgement

Looking at business loss / opportunity perspective:
1. Ban means - no more manpower required. Labour/work loss
2. Ban means production stop, distribution impact, huge cash crunch to the manufacturers/dealers
3. Ban means - shifting industry/products or innovate
4. Invasion of Privacy / Distraction looking at other cars (i mean - playing kids/pets, soft toys and/or may be some distinctive interior modifications!. No offense here. But i tend to respond, when i see a beautiful kid making naughty faces from the other car & end up getting honks from behind :()

On the other hand,
1. Removal means petty cash business, but huge volume (though short term !)
2. The Glass company innovate and price their products little high making permissable tint level
3. Transparency - which may reduce unsolicited activities / commuters. National Security !

Btw - What happened to the Plastic bags industry post ban in many states ?.

How about Sun Shade sheets available ?. No ban on them & it is less expensive as well - just the hassle of in & out regularly !.

Last edited by gjiyap1 : 17th May 2012 at 14:22.
Old 17th May 2012, 14:29   #107
BHPian

re: Your reaction to the Sun Film Verdict? EDIT - Ban in effect post 25th July judgement

Can we do something about this? Create a chakka jam right in MG Road? Have a coordinated effort for this to happen on a particular day / time across all cities? We need to raise awareness of this situation and this is, in all reality, a money making exercise provided by the Supreme court.

Since the courts are on leave till June 4th, I'd believe that any PIL or case filed will have to wait its turn. Hence the idea of raising this issue so that the nation and the Supreme court can take notice.

[Not trying to incite rebellion, guys! ]
Old 17th May 2012, 14:40   #108
BHPian

Karnataka Police orders removal of sun films from vehicles by May 31 - The Times of India
Old 17th May 2012, 15:18   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
I am hoping it stays this way. Would be very interested in Trichur and Palghat, which are the places I take my car. Do post when they decide to use the new source of income!! Until then no long drives.

I am hoping this is not true, and they give us a respite till the summer is off.

And to add to this, they are planning to increase the petrol cost by Rs.5 and Diesel by 3 as per today's news. So our courts and govts. are hell bent on causing maximum misery to the common people.
Raghu I guess that is not going to happen
Cops set to enforce no-tinted glass rule in Chennai from today - The Times of India
if the article is to be believed we are in for harsh days ahead.To top it the heat traffic diversions if this was not enough now fuel price hike Baabus will have a good time while the Aam Junta keeps suffering
Old 17th May 2012, 16:01   #110
BHPian

Admittedly a do-gooder had moved the Supreme Court to get the film removed. The advantage wi be to the glass manufacturer to manufacture tinted glass.

My question is whether the car window pane glass will accept dye coating directly as Supreme Court is silent on original tinted glass. If yes, what tint is acceptable.
Old 17th May 2012, 16:18   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by prskumar View Post
Went to 3M HSR Layout, Bangalore for removing sun film. But they said from today, they have stopped removing films from cars in the company owned outlets.
This is not correct. I did go to the 3M Center (HSR Layout) today and as per them, they are are removing sunfilm on atleast 15 cars a day and are totally booked till Monday.

I saw about 4 vehicles getting 'de-nuded' while I was there.
Old 17th May 2012, 16:37   #112
BHPian

I will ground my car and wait for a saner option.

I am for tints, not the completely dark ones thogh. It is very uncomfortable with people looking through the glass, especially near the signals. The windows are always rolled up but still makes me feel vulnerable.

I am because the SC considered only one angle of the issue. If they wanted to enforce this, they could have directed the automobile companies to provide an option for tinted glass before asking us to get the tints removed.
Old 17th May 2012, 16:45   #113
BHPian

I have CR70 (70% transparency) for the front windshield and RE50 (50% transparency) for front and rear windows and rear windshield. Does this rule mean I have to change to CR70 on the rear windshield too? All are 3M branded. Or do I have to remove all of this completely which is totally ridiculous.
Old 17th May 2012, 16:46   #114
BHPian

Parking it, till this stupidity passes.
Issues like privacy, looks etc aside

Who is going to compensate in case my rear windshield's defogger gets damaged ?

Most of us here on BHP spend good money on tints, upwards of at least INR 5000/- , what about that money

and lastly, (personal opinion) i HATE stepping into a baking car after its parked in the sun for a bit. We're in a tropical country !

So, yes...garage until this dies down, and it eventually will.

Been using another car which runs VLT 50's on the side with no problems whatsoever.
Old 17th May 2012, 16:50   #115
Senior - BHPian

Wow you should see the FB page of Save Aam Admi which is the NGO that filed the PIL that has brought out this thread that we are discussing every hour. They it seems filed a 600 page PIL encompassing all the loop holes of what they are proposing. Some of the reasons given are so childish you cannot help but laugh. I don’t know from where they get the funds and time to do these things that ultimately inconveniences a “Aam Admi”

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchan View Post
I have CR70 (70% transparency) for the front windshield and RE50 (50% transparency) for front and rear windows and rear windshield. Does this rule mean I have to change to CR70 on the rear windshield too? All are 3M branded. Or do I have to remove all of this completely which is totally ridiculous.
Yes you have to remove any film, though you may escape with the CR70 as it looks like normal glass but if someone observes too close they will see the 3m watermarks

Last edited by motomaverick : 17th May 2012 at 16:52.
Old 17th May 2012, 17:16   #116
BHPian

Quote:
It is the ridculous option, of course. You will have to remove all the films.

Last edited by Pallavi : 17th May 2012 at 17:17.
Old 17th May 2012, 17:24   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you check with lux meter on the windshield & side windows with sun film stuck on the glass, it would exceed VLT limits. Thats the reason you have to remove it.
Old 17th May 2012, 18:01   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
If you check with lux meter on the windshield & side windows with sun film stuck on the glass, it would exceed VLT limits. Thats the reason you have to remove it.
The prescribed VLT limits of 70% for front and rear and 50% for the sides are the minimum. Not sure what you mean by exceed here. If the final VLT is less than the prescribed minimum, it is illegal and has to go.

Having said that, the SC ruling is clear in stating that "ALL" sun films have to go, as the prescribed VLT is for the OEM glass.

Rajan
Old 17th May 2012, 18:54   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudradeep

This is not correct. I did go to the 3M Center (HSR Layout) today and as per them, they are are removing sunfilm on atleast 15 cars a day and are totally booked till Monday.

I saw about 4 vehicles getting 'de-nuded' while I was there.
They are only removing 3m films and not any other brand as that is messy according to them.

BTW Bangalore folks can relax a bit as last date for film removal has been extended to 5th June now. It's there on BTP Facebook page .
Old 17th May 2012, 20:21   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knownstrangerr View Post
Raghu I guess that is not going to happen
Cops set to enforce no-tinted glass rule in Chennai from today - The Times of India
if the article is to be believed we are in for harsh days ahead.To top it the heat traffic diversions if this was not enough now fuel price hike Baabus will have a good time while the Aam Junta keeps suffering
Finally its on the Chennai Traffic police's Facebook page

Its interesting to see that none are hiding their frustrating on this ruling. That said no dates are mentioned. Let us see how this unfolds and how they keep a tab on the number of instances an offender has been caught

Last edited by raghu.t.k : 17th May 2012 at 20:23.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks