I will remove it before the deadline (from a shop) 73 8.99%
I will ground my car and wait & watch for the order to change 375 46.18%
Mine are factory fitted and I can't remove them 39 4.80%
Voters: 812. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2012, 23:25   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Your reaction to the Sun Film Verdict? EDIT - Ban in effect post 25th July judgement

I am using a two-wheeler at the moment, but after a couple of days, I will have to switch back to a four-wheeler. My sun-films on both cars are extremely old and due for replacement.
So, it is a wait-and-watch situation here in Pune (just like the 50% voters who are waiting for some magic to happen).
Old 15th May 2012, 23:45   #32
BHPian

re: Your reaction to the Sun Film Verdict? EDIT - Ban in effect post 25th July judgement

Planning to remove it DIY way over the weekend, don't want to get into trouble with cops.
Old 16th May 2012, 00:25   #33
BHPian

I had the darkest of tints on my car. Yeah, the CS5 with 5% VLT I was contemplating removing it for sometime now and go in for a lighter shade since it made night driving a real problem. So, the SC ruling came in as a blessing in disguise. I have someone to blame now

I am getting it done tomorrow at the 3M center.

PS : I saw that there was a huge queue in front of Madhavan park (Jayanagar, Bangalore) today morning for removal of the films. In fact, the police had taken assistance of a few boys who waved down cars and requested them to get the tints removed! I was waved down too. I politely refused and told them that I would get it done by the 19th.
Old 16th May 2012, 00:39   #34
Senior - BHPian

I've got Llumar sunfilm, cost me nearly 20k, and they were meeting the then permissable RTO norms on visibility. I'm convinced the judiciary has erred in this case, and I definitely foresee a rollback, so I'm sticking with my films. Luckily I'm in Bombay, and there's no action here yet, so I'm holding out.
Old 16th May 2012, 01:26   #35
Senior - BHPian

Both my cars are in Mangalore. Figo has no tint yet. Thankfully i delayed tinting car by couple of weeks since i was busy from the time car was bought. By then this verdict came in. My Zen has VLT 30 tint though. I will ground the zen and use only for local commute in my place where there are no cops and i use figo diesel anyways for most of my commutes. So no worries for me. Only if by chance i get caught on zen,i will pay fine and then remove.

Hope SC will change judgement to 50 and 70 for side and front soon.
Old 16th May 2012, 01:30   #36
BHPian

fine 100 + free removal is this practical? Fine I guess so, but free removal, I am 100% sure the police do that have that operational capacity. I saw at a shop, that the pro who removes and puts in new films takes close to 15 min on each car, I am sure the cops are at least 5 times less efficient at that (its not their day job!). Just an observation at Whitefield traffic light in BLR, the approx number of cars with films has not really drastically come down in the last few days. So come 19th, I am not sure if the numbers of cars flagged down, can get a free removal ( a cop with a shaving blade).

But interesting to see 1 in 2 BHPian (atleast those who voted) planning to wait it out (seriously is it just a angry reaction to the rule, or do you really think you can wait it out. Very day of delay from the service station when my car is up to servicing or repair seems like forever, my experience of grounding the car comes that feeling). With the rains in BLR, using a 2 Wheeler as an alternate means of travel is a tough call!
Old 16th May 2012, 01:34   #37
BHPian

I am travelling for a week starting the 19th and so my car will be grounded (sort of). I am hoping that I don't need to remove them as the vista has a huge glass house and tends to warm up pretty quickly in the sun. Any ways, mostly use the office transport to commute.

I am actually planning to initiate a counter PIL...

"Ban the growth of trees, shrubs above certain height (1.5ft??) most 'illegal' activities take place behind the bushes. Recent incident of a security guard getting shot at Pune University campus - eg.

Something like this will makeprobably them realize the idiocy of such an order.
torquecurve is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 02:12   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
I am travelling for a week starting the 19th and so my car will be grounded (sort of). I am hoping that I don't need to remove them as the vista has a huge glass house and tends to warm up pretty quickly in the sun. Any ways, mostly use the office transport to commute.

I am actually planning to initiate a counter PIL...

"Ban the growth of trees, shrubs above certain height (1.5ft??) most 'illegal' activities take place behind the bushes. Recent incident of a security guard getting shot at Pune University campus - eg.

Something like this will makeprobably them realize the idiocy of such an order.
Even easier to justify, ban the sale of knives. Most murders in India happen with knives, recent case of Mr.Palande chopping up his victims, Mr.Jerome & Maria etc...are all cases to buttress the fact that knives are dangerous and need to be banned. Heck, even Dawood used to carry a knife.

Once the SC agrees to this, I'm going to ask for a PIL to ban MP's and MLA's. Most of them are known to have criminal backgrounds.

Ah, the wisdom of our learned judges.
Old 16th May 2012, 06:24   #39
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy
Fine Rs.100
Cops pulling the film off Free

If and when you get stopped, the cops will pull out your film or worse slash with a blade, so you are forced to pull out.

Rajan
Film is placed from inside and I don't think the cops are as stupid as that to try and slash with blades etc. I am waiting till the last possible moment before pulling off the film.
Old 16th May 2012, 07:03   #40
BHPian

I did a DIY and got my sunfilm off. I initially wanted to wait and watch. Worst case drive with windows rolled down for a few days. My daily drive is through central BLR roads where I doubt traffic police would stop vehicles as it would cause a huge pile up of traffic behind.

BLR Police however took a very mature step. They gave people enough time to remove films unlike some others. They took a step further and arranged for camps (how effective these are is a different story) where people could "officially" remove films without a charge. They have been spreading the message constantly through their FB posts.

This made me change my mind. I removed my sun films. Agreed that the law is debatable, but if the implementing agency is serious about doing so and is trying to help you adapt to the new rule, why not comply and support them. my 2c.

Last edited by sachinayak : 16th May 2012 at 07:06.
sachinayak is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 07:24   #41
Senior - BHPian

I have not removed them from any of the cars and i dont plan on removing them.The ruling is absurd , the heat is unbearable and if a cop does stop my car i am pretty sure i can tackle him either verbally or otherwise. On a different note , what the BLR police did was very commendable. Giving some time to the motorists to remove their tints.Maybe you guys can send in some of your force to teach our highly incompetent traffic morons some sense.
Old 16th May 2012, 08:27   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
I have not removed them from any of the cars and i dont plan on removing them.The ruling is absurd , the heat is unbearable and if a cop does stop my car i am pretty sure i can tackle him either verbally or otherwise. On a different note , what the BLR police did was very commendable. Giving some time to the motorists to remove their tints.Maybe you guys can send in some of your force to teach our highly incompetent traffic morons some sense.
I second your views here, the Govt. seems to have lost it completely, i guess the dust will settle soon & everybody would be back with new films thereby benefiting the companies like garware, 3M .The heat is unbearable & harmful, my car is parked daily for 8 hrs. minimum in direct sunlight, its a boiler when i open it up even after having 50% visibility, i cant & don't want to imagine what it would feel like without them. All govt. can do is harass & question a common man on petty things like this & let go the big shots & big problems of the country.
Old 16th May 2012, 08:46   #43
Senior - BHPian

I got the sides (3M RE35) removed but the front CR70 and rear RE35 is still intact. Crossed few barriers (Delhi & Gurgaon) after that and the cops seem to be ok with that.
Old 16th May 2012, 08:55   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Combination of "wait and watch" and "shall do it before the deadline". My Swift has too-dark film which is 6 years old and is better off removed. Vento has dealer-fitted then-legal expensive Llumar film which I am loathe to part with without a fight, so will wait for the learned ones to return from vacation and change their verdict!
Old 16th May 2012, 09:24   #45
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

A very mature and fair point of view. Greatly appreciated! I will probably take heart from your example and comply too, but only towards the end date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
This made me change my mind. I removed my sun films. Agreed that the law is debatable, but if the implementing agency is serious about doing so and is trying to help you adapt to the new rule, why not comply and support them. my 2c.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 16th May 2012 at 09:26.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed