I will remove it before the deadline (from a shop) 73 8.99%
I will ground my car and wait & watch for the order to change 375 46.18%
Mine are factory fitted and I can't remove them 39 4.80%
Voters: 812. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2012, 16:01   #346
BHPian

re: Your reaction to the Sun Film Verdict? EDIT - Ban in effect post 25th July judgement

Any news about the sun film verdict in Supreme Court that was supposed to happen today?
Old 19th July 2012, 16:49   #347
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Your reaction to the Sun Film Verdict? EDIT - Ban in effect post 25th July judgement

I guess it would take some time for the competent judges to pass a stay order on the previous verdict. The petitioner will have to present his case and will have to be heard fully. The way the legal system works here, I am not expecting any quick outcome.

I still feel that this whole hubaloo on sun films is going to die down after a while. THe police are active now and will be for a while. But after, say one year down the line most motorists would have removed the sun films and new car owners will not bother putting films on their cars. As a result the police will lose motivation and the intensity of checks will reduce. Once people realise that policing for sun films has died down, they will once again start putting tints on their cars. THe word will slowly spread that the police are not checking for tints anymore. So if someone wants to become famous, they can wait for this to happen and file a PIL in the Supreme court to ban glasses from windows

THe law as per the MV Act has been in effect since ages. If police wanted to challan offenders they could have done so even before the supreme court verdict came out.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 19th July 2012 at 16:55.
Old 19th July 2012, 17:35   #348
BHPian

Still waiting for the verdict. Searched the net. No news on the verdict.
Old 19th July 2012, 17:38   #349
Distinguished - BHPian

I had been pinning a lot of hopes for some positive news today. It has been an agonizing wait for 2 + months now. But since there is no news coming out I guess the order stays as it is.
Old 19th July 2012, 20:21   #350

Deccan Herald (Don't spare the rich, remove black films from cars: SC)

Don't spare the rich, remove black films from cars: SC
Old 19th July 2012, 22:11   #351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alive2Drive View Post
Still waiting for the verdict. Searched the net. No news on the verdict.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I had been pinning a lot of hopes for some positive news today. It has been an agonizing wait for 2 + months now. But since there is no news coming out I guess the order stays as it is.
Bad News - the Ban stays. The status Quo continues

The sun-film ban by supreme court is in effect and not to be lifted in the near future. Supreme court has said nothing can be "pasted" on the windscreen, so theoritically, i guess curtains and "chipkoos (vaccuum suction blinds)" are allowed.
Old 19th July 2012, 22:58   #352
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Bad News - the Ban stays. The status Quo continues

The sun-film ban by supreme court is in effect and not to be lifted in the near future. Supreme court has said nothing can be "pasted" on the windscreen, so theoritically, i guess curtains and "chipkoos (vaccuum suction blinds)" are allowed.
I feel sorry for our system man. One idiot goes with a PIL and everyone has to suffer. Basically I get punished for trying to follow the law by opting for certified good quality, legal Vkool films. Royal waste of 15k.

Whats more surprising is that the auto industry and Sun film companies maintaining silence over the whole issue.
drmohitg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th July 2012, 23:14   #353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Whats more surprising is that the auto industry and Sun film companies maintaining silence over the whole issue.
I guess auto sun film makers are waiting for more people to remove the tints. Once there are enough people with sun-film less cars, they will initiate a stay order.

Facing reality - Policing is not effective, strong and binding in india. Its only the informed community like us who removes films on an average. This is synonymous to "helmet" rule in chennai. Policing was strong for a couple of days and everyone bought helmets, when the helmet compulsory rule was announced. Once they saw good money, the police stopped helmet checking. Now-a-days in Chennai, you can still see people riding without helmets in front of police.
Old 19th July 2012, 23:28   #354
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
I guess auto sun film makers are waiting for more people to remove the tints. Once there are enough people with sun-film less cars, they will initiate a stay order.
What hurts more is the enforcement of the rule is not same everywhere. On one hand where the delhi police went crazy, I don't see any activity at all in vadodara or ahmedabad regarding sunfilms.

Edit: The deccan herald article still maintains that the judges are going to listen to the counter arguement too. So I guess there is still some hope.

Last edited by drmohitg : 19th July 2012 at 23:29.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2012, 11:24   #355
BHPian

Quote:
What hurts more is the enforcement of the rule is not same everywhere. On one hand where the delhi police went crazy, I don't see any activity at all in vadodara or ahmedabad regarding sunfilms.

Edit: The deccan herald article still maintains that the judges are going to listen to the counter arguement too. So I guess there is still some hope.
Spot on! What surprised me is how did the RTO also flaunt the rules? In the first place when sun films have been illegal from the beginning how was it allowed on vehicles in the first place? This clearly indicates that even the RTO was not aware of the law . Now they wake up and collect fines.
Old 20th July 2012, 11:28   #356
BHPian

any such discrepancies in the law is a potential gold mine for RTOs to fleece money. They thrive on such ambiguities.
Old 20th July 2012, 18:49   #357
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post

THe law as per the MV Act has been in effect since ages. If police wanted to challan offenders they could have done so even before the supreme court verdict came out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
Spot on! What surprised me is how did the RTO also flaunt the rules? In the first place when sun films have been illegal from the beginning how was it allowed on vehicles in the first place? This clearly indicates that even the RTO was not aware of the law . Now they wake up and collect fines.
What I don't understand is this argument of saying films were illegal all the while till now and the SC has merely directed proper enforcement of the existing rule from May 5th. I don't believe that is the case.

If films were indeed illegal all this while, How did the government/sales tax departments register these as legal aftermarket accessories, and how was the government collecting VAT and sales tax on the sale of sun films all this while? That also would be illegal money now.

Will the government refund the dealers all the VAT/taxes collected on sunfilm sale till date?
Old 20th July 2012, 19:36   #358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitayu View Post
any such discrepancies in the law is a potential gold mine for RTOs to fleece money. They thrive on such ambiguities.
Well, RTO knows that driving a 2wheeler on the wrong side is against traffic laws. IS enforcement so strong that no-one drives on the wrong-side? Sun Film was allowed provided the permissible 70/50 rule was observed. So Many people flouted the rule, so some genius filed a Petition and banned Sun film usage across cars.

totally agree on the Ambiguity part. In a document, if "R" looks like "D", the govt official would abuse and shout for not being clear and probably request/order to re-fill the document. I feel ambiguity is on purpose so as to fleece people.

Quote:
Oh - this is news to me. I even searched the internet but am not not able to get concrete info on when the hearing is scheduled.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 20th July 2012 at 19:42.
Old 20th July 2012, 20:04   #359
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
What I don't understand is this argument of saying films were illegal all the while till now and the SC has merely directed proper enforcement of the existing rule from May 5th. I don't believe that is the case.

If films were indeed illegal all this while, How did the government/sales tax departments register these as legal aftermarket accessories, and how was the government collecting VAT and sales tax on the sale of sun films all this while? That also would be illegal money now.

Will the government refund the dealers all the VAT/taxes collected on sunfilm sale till date?
Courts never make the law. They only interpret the law.

Sunfilms as a goods are not illegal. It is not a contraband substance and is a tradeable commodity. One of its uses is in cars. You can still purchase sunfilms and fix it on your home window if you want. Drinking and driving is an offence. But that doesn't make sale of alchohol illegal, does it?
Old 20th July 2012, 20:08   #360
BHPian

Well here you go !!!. The next hearing in on July 25th.

https://www.facebook.com/movementagainstsc?ref=stream
bkishore_77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks