I will remove it before the deadline (from a shop) 73 8.99%
I will ground my car and wait & watch for the order to change 375 46.18%
Mine are factory fitted and I can't remove them 39 4.80%
Voters: 812. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2012, 10:02   #376
Senior - BHPian

Re: Your reaction to the Sun Film Verdict? EDIT - Ban in effect post 25th July judgem

Been to JC Road, Bangalore yesterday and saw at least four cars installing sun films, lighter shades within less than one hour I spent there. Looks like cars moving back to sun films.
Old 26th July 2012, 10:32   #377
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ban Still continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath
I doubt they can just reverse what they ruled earlier because
1) They were only interpreting the rules as "films not allowed, but factory OE glass meeting the prescribed VLT is OK". And given that they are the apex court, I am sure they would have studied the law minutely to avoid a wrong interpretation.

2) After having the police machinery direct resources/time for enforcing this ban and after many thousand people removed the film for which they had paid thousands of rupees, it would be unjust for those that heeded the order and removed it, if they reverse the order without valid reason.

Quoting from the link, their reasoning seems clear and has no ambiguity:
“We found that rules were not being followed. We have only interpreted the rules. We have said that law permits glass and nothing else. Your films may be great, but how can we change the rules,” the bench remarked.

So, for those that want to have respite from the sun or other reasons, there still exists a possibility since the article says "In its judgment, the apex court had said that car manufacturers may produce vehicles with tinted glass having Visual Light Transmission (VLT) of 70 per cent for the safety glass windscreens (front and rear) and 40 per cent VLT for side glass window panes respectively." And maybe enterprising folks would start manufacturing tinted glass for the cars already on the road. That should cover the grouse of existing car users who had to remove their tints.

This avoids leaving the interpretation of the VLT to the sun-film vendor who "decides" what is RTO-allowed and finally ending up in a scenario where cars run around with jet-black windows.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2012, 10:42   #378
BHPian

Re: Ban Still continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I doubt they can just reverse what they ruled earlier
“We found that rules were not being followed. We have only interpreted the rules. We have said that law permits glass and nothing else. Your films may be great, but how can we change the rules,” the bench remarked.
I couldn't agree more. Going back on the judgement will only give rise to public wrath especially who have removed it. I guess it is time to ensure that the law is enforced and everyone abides by it. Honestly by now I have got used to "without" the shades!

Last edited by sumathindra : 26th July 2012 at 10:43. Reason: edits
sumathindra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2012, 11:14   #379
Senior - BHPian

Re: Your reaction to the Sun Film Verdict? EDIT - Ban in effect post 25th July judgem

This is a case of judicial overreach and an opportunity for otherwise ineffective law enforcement to go on a power trip. Visibility should be measured from the driver seat, 35% VLT film is quite good on a rainy day in most parts of India.

The speed camera is another law enforcement tool that is becoming a menace, it penalizes those "criminals" doing 71 in 70 kmph zone. The enforcement is carried out by cops who look the other way when a trailer truck goes the wrong way on an tolled highway, nothing wrong there as it will be well within speed limits I guess.
avira_tk is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 26th July 2012, 14:00   #380
Senior - BHPian

I dont see any reason why a judgement cant be reversed just because it was imposed for a certain period and "some people were impacted by the same"

that gives a wrong connotation that errors once done are done and you have to live with it.

the "sun film" judgement was very shortsighted. the larger population uses the same to protect from the harsh sunlight ( which some cities may not be exposed to ) and of course privacy.
I have noticed that without the sunfilm, we end up using the a/c more in a city like Chennai whereas maybe in a place like Bangalore one may not notice the absence of the sun film ( from the heat point of view). One can imagine the savings in fuel that this simple application brings

if crime is a concern, the police machinery has to be geared to handle it differently. I dont understand, how cards plying in the city without sun films is helping the cops curb crime !
narayan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2012, 14:34   #381
BHPian

In India as we get more affluent, the reason to avoid SUN becomes more and more justified for whatever reasons.

And I had to pay a big price for this, I was recently diagnosed for Vitamin D deficiency.
Later I realized that I hardly face sun in my day to day activities.

Though I have started taking supplements but it can't meet full requirement.

Human Body relies on ultraviolet light of UVB type to synthesis Vitamin D, as its rarely found in food sources.
Anything like sunscreen lotions that blocks UV rays also block the useful UVB rays.

The consequences of Vitamin D deficiency can be dangerous.

So guys don't be so shy of SUN, its good for you and your family.
born_free is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2012, 15:02   #382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by born_free View Post
Human Body relies on ultraviolet light of UVB type to synthesis Vitamin D, as its rarely found in food sources.
Anything like sunscreen lotions that blocks UV rays also block the useful UVB rays.

You are right about SUN helping in synthesis of Vitamin D, but nowadays docs are not advising you to spend lots of time in the sun without proper protection due to side effects of sun exposure, outweighing the benefits.
My son too has Vit D deficiency and lots of people(not medical folk) advised us to take him out in the sun everday for 1 hour or so , but none of the pediatricians we have consulted so far have recommended it.
Old 26th July 2012, 16:36   #383
BHPian

This is an other useless law to make the lives of millions of law abiding citizens that much more difficult. I wonder how many Kms the Honourable Judge has to travel in baking sun , or if he reall minds about efficiency of the cooling system.

I plan to keep it as such and will pay the fine if stopped.
Old 26th July 2012, 17:45   #384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I doubt they can just reverse what they ruled earlier because
1) They were only interpreting the rules as "films not allowed, but factory OE glass meeting the prescribed VLT is OK". .....
where cars run around with jet-black windows.
Well, in that case, the court has NOT suggested what to do for "old" vehicles. I have a 2007 santro and it did not come with factory tints as an options at all. At least this rule should have been supplemented by an option to get it tinted by the manufacturer(manufacturer, invests on equipment).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
I couldn't agree more. Going back on the judgement will only give rise to public wrath especially who have removed it. I guess it is time to ensure that the law is enforced and everyone abides by it. Honestly by now I have got used to "without" the shades!
Yes - court would get the wrath, but in long run, people would slowly forget that and move on, by using films.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
This is a case of judicial overreach and an opportunity for otherwise ineffective law enforcement to go on a power trip. Visibility should be measured from the driver seat, 35% VLT film is quite good on a rainy day in most parts of India.
Totally Agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss View Post
This is an other useless law to make the lives of millions of law abiding citizens that much more difficult. I wonder how many Kms the Honourable Judge has to travel in baking sun , or if he reall minds about efficiency of the cooling system.

Z and Z+ security people are exempted and every other man would have a connection with the politicians. Its only us, the common man who has to face the music.

OVerall, i fail to understand one thing - everything is being compared to USA, Gulf, UK etc,, but why cant india have one rule different from other countries.

Secondly, There was an ATM Theft in New-Mumbai, the thieves were helmet-clad, to cover the case, so would helmet ban be next or would court come up with some transparent helmet, where one's face can be seen?
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2012, 19:03   #385
BHPian

I had so much respect for the Supreme Court, they have done things to the government what opposition hardly did, but that was until this judgement was passed. Though they could clearly see they acted in haste, I dont understand why they are so hesitant to hear other opinions.

I have been fined twice already, once near Ampa skywalk and the next in the ECR. Have I removed my tints, NO..
k149in is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2012, 19:44   #386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
You are right about SUN helping in synthesis of Vitamin D, but nowadays docs are not advising you to spend lots of time in the sun without proper protection due to side effects of sun exposure, outweighing the benefits.
My son too has Vit D deficiency and lots of people(not medical folk) advised us to take him out in the sun everday for 1 hour or so , but none of the pediatricians we have consulted so far have recommended it.
Daewood,

As always, one must know at what time the exposure to sun should happen. The best time to get the max direct benefit is EARLY morning when there are minimal UV ray related problems. As day progresses more and more of the atmosphere is filled with harmful UV rays.

I and my wife run a birthing center. Newborn babies are prone to get jaundice in the first 2-3 days of their lives. We recommend best way is to bring them to sunlight early in the morning for 30 mins.

- Krishnan
ksakotai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2012, 10:36   #387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by k149in View Post
I have been fined twice already, once near Ampa skywalk and the next in the ECR. Have I removed my tints, NO..
Paying fines is one thing, but what if the cops demand that you remove the tints at that very moment? I wouldn't want some careless nut trying making a buck ripping off the films without taking the time to make sure he does a proper job.

In my humble opinion, I think it's over. When some of us complied to the SC order, with the intention of being on the right side of the law, or just to avoid the hassle, the entire community of car owners buckled as a whole.

Any further efforts to have the order reversed is nothing but

I was counting on the fact that the SC would admit that by passing the order they'd effectively changed the Motor Vehicles Act, but now that they argue they just interpreted the existing rule, I think we've lost all hope.
Old 27th July 2012, 14:40   #388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by born_free View Post
In India as we get more affluent, the reason to avoid SUN becomes more and more justified for whatever reasons.

And I had to pay a big price for this, I was recently diagnosed for Vitamin D deficiency.
Later I realized that I hardly face sun in my day to day activities.

Though I have started taking supplements but it can't meet full requirement.

while your point is correct about the exposure to sun and the benefit it gives, please be guided by the fact that driving around in a car with no tints does not do any good to your Vit D levels. you need to expose a large surface area of your body and be in open sun light for atleaset 2-3 hrs for a reasonable amount of VitD to be produced.
Old 27th July 2012, 14:56   #389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Been to JC Road, Bangalore yesterday and saw at least four cars installing sun films, lighter shades within less than one hour I spent there. Looks like cars moving back to sun films.
Other day, under Agara flyover, I saw a couple of cops pulling over cars with visible dark tints. So police can stop you any time.

The sun film rule will be like insurance or DL rule. All is fine till caught.
Old 27th July 2012, 15:15   #390
Senior - BHPian

Removed my sun films on all cars months ago.

Last edited by aseem : 27th July 2012 at 15:23.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed