I will remove it before the deadline (from a shop) 73 8.99%
I will ground my car and wait & watch for the order to change 375 46.18%
Mine are factory fitted and I can't remove them 39 4.80%
Voters: 812. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2012, 22:22   #451
BHPian

Re: Your reaction to the Sun Film Verdict? EDIT - Ban in effect post 25th July judgem

i guess they are going to start in hyderabad this week, talk has started in facebook by the hyderabad traffic police . , end of good times
Old 5th August 2012, 23:09   #452

Re: Your reaction to the Sun Film Verdict? EDIT - Ban in effect post 25th July judgem

For some reason, Mumbaikars have been spared so far. I guess, the Mumbai traffic police has far more things to worry about than to check for sunfilms. In any case, even existing laws related to helmets, 2-wheeler restriction over certain flyovers etc. are hardly enforced.

As an aside, I wonder how the judiciary would react, if someone filed a PIL stating that since drunk driving is a major cause of accidents, alcohol should be banned altogether. Especially by quoting the sun-film judgement as a precedent.
green_wheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2012, 23:31   #453
BHPian

It seems like the drive against sunfilm is picking up heat in chennai. According to the News, Police are planning to become strict against repeated offenders. So today, I finally went to a sun film dealer and had my 3M films removed. The dealer charged Rs.400/- for removing sunfilms from the 4 windows alone. He told no need to remove from the front and back windshields. I was hesitant, told them to remove from the 4 galsses frst, then I will make my mind.

The removal was neatly done. I checked the visibility from the front it looked ok, but still the rear visibility was a problem. Then realized that when the cops see my rear glass, I will be long gone, so decided to leave it on. For the first time in months, we took the car out with peace of mind. But my wife doesn't like it one bit (due to constant stares from outside). Guess thats the price you pay for being a law abiding citizen.

Last edited by Optimus7 : 5th August 2012 at 23:37.
Old 6th August 2012, 11:11   #454
BHPian

Can Sun film be endorsed into your RC book as long as the 70/50 VLT rule is adhered to?

Supreme court seems like considering sun film as an "unauthorized" modification - cant this be solved by RTO endorsement?

Lack of governance and Supreme court taking the role - Court-ocarcy!
Old 6th August 2012, 11:54   #455
BHPian

Not sure if I agree with the SC verdict, but a law is a law. Unfortunately in Hyderabad, people make their own laws . So far, I haven't seen a single board on the subject (either official or shops advertising removal). Infact, I have seen some new vehicles getting really dark tints. I guess if the hyd police start taking this seriously, we won't see the much longer.
I'll consider removing mine once I see see the police acting on this.
Old 6th August 2012, 19:00   #456
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_wheel View Post
As an aside, I wonder how the judiciary would react, if someone filed a PIL stating that since drunk driving is a major cause of accidents, alcohol should be banned altogether. Especially by quoting the sun-film judgement as a precedent.
Or maybe against automobiles itself, since they cause pollution, accidents, and are crime accessories. Na rahega baans na bajegi baansuri

On a serious note, courts can't ban alchohol unless there exists a legislation for the same. Courts don't make the law , remember.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 6th August 2012 at 19:01.
Old 6th August 2012, 19:50   #457
BHPian

Pune guys - here is the update on Pune Traffic Police website saying they have started fining cars with tinted glass who block visibility beyond the permissible limit.

http://punetrafficpolice.gov.in/inde...-glass---.html

Have anyone of you got fined yet?
Old 6th August 2012, 20:49   #458
BHPian

A sunfilm dealer called me and told that a really light shade of sunfilm has come from 3M, but it is not officially sold. If I need it, then he can purchase it for me, and it will cost me 4000 bucks. I went to his shop to check it, it was light alright, but cops can easily make out the tint, leaving us vulnerable for fine.

The dealer told me that cops are catching vehicles which have a really dark shade but don't bother about lighter shades. I didn't believe it, refused his offer and left. Hope people are not lured by these kind of people.

Still a lot of cars are plying with very dark films, hope to see some concrete action from police.

Fair or not, but a order has been passed, which has to be respected and followed. We are the same people who are fed up with bending of rules, corruption and lack of discipline in the society. I believe its the responsibility of people like us to set up an example for others to follow. (I am forcing my dad, in Madurai, to remove his tint too).
We Indians always tend to follow what others do, when people see a lot of cars without tint, they will remove it too.
Old 6th August 2012, 21:09   #459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironshark
Pune guys - here is the update on Pune Traffic Police website saying they have started fining cars with tinted glass who block visibility beyond the permissible limit.

http://punetrafficpolice.gov.in/inde...-glass---.html

Have anyone of you got fined yet?
From my knowledge of Marathi, the Pune police is interpreting by VLT alone. Kudos to them for being reasonable.
Old 6th August 2012, 21:11   #460
BHPian

An extract from my communication with BTP and their response...

Sumathindra RaoBangalore Traffic Police
10 hours ago ·
BTP, one simple question: Why is it that car's are still sporting sunfilm's and plying on the roads? It is very clear directive given to the RTO to act on them strictly! I got my car's sunfilm's removed on day one after the judgement. Is this what you have to see for following the LAW???

Bangalore Traffic Police Dear Sumathindra,we are campaigning through hoardings and raising the spot fine and raising violations through FTVR.When spot fine is not making any difference among road users, then to curb violation,we have to enforce it in more stringent way, will certainly make some action plan to bring awareness among them.Thank you.
9 hours ago · Like · 1

Sumathindra Rao Well I appreciate the quick response. However one simple rule of any activity is a "time line". Imposing fines honestly will not make any dent in their pockets and will continue to drive the cars with the films! The fines will add to your treasury only. One has to come with a definite timeline and concrete plans to defaulters who go beyond timelines. This must be a top down approach from governance to the masses. Currently there is ambiguity in the governance itself and the masses are taking advantage of this...
9 hours ago · Like · 1
Old 6th August 2012, 21:59   #461
BHPian

Finally got the sun film removed from my car. Now I can drive peacefully. Hope some one changes the age old Motor vehicle act to add sun film as a legal accessory.
Old 6th August 2012, 22:03   #462
BHPian

I wonder why the fine is too low? It should be atleast 500 bucks. Otherwise its going to be very difficult for cops to implement the rule.
Announce a free sunfilm removal drive at all RTO offices for a month, after that increase the fine to 500 bucks. Maybe thats a start.
Old 6th August 2012, 22:10   #463
BHPian

The fine is 1000 INR in Haryana, perhaps the steepest in the country. In Delhi it is 100.
A law like this in today's carbon footprint conscious society is really poor.
Old 6th August 2012, 22:12   #464
BHPian

I was in Goa for the weekend and was suprised to see more than half of all GA and most MH and KA-22 cars still sporting sun films there. Sosegad seems to be the outlook there, plus fuel is dirt cheap! I am sure this sun film fiasco will die out by 2013. By then some other major incident would have taken place and the supreme court/cops will be all gung ho over that one. I refuse to abide and will wait it out! Patience brings greater rewards!

Cheers!
Rohan
Old 6th August 2012, 22:22   #465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
I was in Goa for the weekend and was suprised to see more than half of all GA and most MH and KA-22 cars still sporting sun films there. Sosegad seems to be the outlook there, plus fuel is dirt cheap! I am sure this sun film fiasco will die out by 2013. By then some other major incident would have taken place and the supreme court/cops will be all gung ho over that one. I refuse to abide and will wait it out! Patience brings greater rewards!

Cheers!
Rohan
Rohan, are you still in Goa? Well if not check what appeared in today's news paper. Henceforth my ride will now be called the "NightRider" for obvious reasons.
Your reaction to the Sun Film Verdict? EDIT - Ban in effect post 25th July judgement-42013859.jpg

Last edited by richie4u : 6th August 2012 at 22:26.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks