Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2013, 21:39   #31
BHPian

Re: Car registered outside Mumbai, but using in the city? PAY OCTROI, says the BMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Hi, I am yet to get it registered in Andheri. I was waiting for the previous owner to get the Bank NOC and will now start the process in maybe 10 days. In between i had spoekn to one of my known RTO agents and he mentioned that the Transfer plus Octroi of a MH04 vehicle to Andheri can be done easily and cheaper as well (i guess by greasing some palms at the Octroi Center).

Shall let you know as and when i apply.

Cheers,
Raj
Hi,
It would be great if you can provide more details.. I'm buying an MH04 car and need to get it transferred as I too am staying in Goregaon.
Old 15th March 2013, 02:04   #32
BHPian

Re: Car registered outside Mumbai, but using in the city? PAY OCTROI, says the BMC

This is what happened to a friend a couple years ago. The cops impounded his car because it had a non-Mumbai number plate - it was registered in Diu where he happens to have a factory. They asked him to provide service receipts from Diu which he did not have - they asked him to pay octroi over a few lakhs since it was a fairly expensive sedan. He took the cops to court where his lawyer argued that since he had a factory in Diu and had not cheated anyone by falsifying addresses, the action of the cops amounted to infringing on the car owner's constitutional right of free movement within his country. The cops had not only to return the car but pay a small compensation too.
invidious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2013, 08:44   #33
BHPian

One more query, once i buy a car having Thane Registration (MH-04) can i change the registration to Mumbai (MH-03/01/02) since i stay in mumbai. I feel this will save a lot of hassles. How much does this re-registration cost ?

Also do i have to pay road tax again in Mumbai or is road tax state specific, so once paid in thane, it does not have to be paid again?
Old 29th May 2013, 09:17   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinu_joseph View Post
One more query, once i buy a car having Thane Registration (MH-04) can i change the registration to Mumbai (MH-03/01/02) since i stay in mumbai. I feel this will save a lot of hassles. How much does this re-registration cost ?

Also do i have to pay road tax again in Mumbai or is road tax state specific, so once paid in thane, it does not have to be paid again?
When you buy a MH registered car (Thane/Pune/Sangli/Nagpur registration, does not matter) and transfer the registration of the car to yourself at a Mumbai address, the registration number remains the same. You need not pay road tax again as this is State specific. At the time of registration transfer, you will need to pay octroi, albeit at a depreciated rate, in order to be able to complete registration transfer formalities.

As long as the address in your RC says "Mumbai", you should not have any problems. If stopped, cops should see the address in the RC and not hassle you any more.
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2013, 09:22   #35
BHPian

Thanks kiloalpha. Also can you advice on the following, I am buying a second hand car from Thane and planning do the registration formalities in Mumbai. However the car will be primarily used in PUNE (as my office is there), but weekends it will be back in Mumbai (which is my home is). In such a scenario, do i need to register the car in Pune ??
Old 29th May 2013, 10:23   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berj79 View Post
I think this is to bust all the people who bought cars with fake thane/panvel addresses to avoid octrio?
A number of RTO officer's get money to register car's on fake addresses why doesn't the government go after them? For customer's it's a double whammy. First they have to grease the palms of these babu's and year's later the government decides to 'crackdown' on errant car owner's and make them pay the charges with penalty. Why is there never a crackdown on the corrupt officer's? These people always get away and until that happens corruption will never end. It takes two to tango, if the car owner was at fault so was the RTO officer who did the registration.

As for this rule, Octroi will end in September / October only to be replaced by LBT. Why should there be different rates of tax & registeration in different areas? Why can't there be a standard rate across the country? Abolish all excise, VAT, Service tax, Octroi, LBT etc. Just have a GST in place. Why can't the government make life simple for everyone including themselves!?
amit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2013, 18:00   #37
BHPian

Hi everybody
I have been seeing such crackdowns on and off for the last 20/25 years.
Cars used to be registered in Daman or Gujarat where the taxes were quite a lot lower.
The Maharashtra government cracked down on out of state registered cars.
The next wave was to have the cars registered in Thane/Panvel/Bhiwandi where the taxes were lower.
Mr. Amit has rightly mentioned that it is with the collusion of RTO and the dealers that the vehicles are registered at fictitious addresses. At the same time the owners are at fault for agreeing to save some money. Unfortunately the owners are the only ones who suffer. The others get away scot free.
Regards
Old 29th May 2013, 23:09   #38
Senior - BHPian

My cars were regularly registered in GOA since we maintained a legit holdiday home there. Once I was pulled over by cops and a revenue and excise commitioner I recall was sitting in an amby with lights etc. I told them I live in Goa on being asked where I lived...then they asked for license which was mumbai RTO, they asked why so? I stated I live in both places therefore keep shuttling. Next they said "if the car remains in Mumbai for more than 6 months I must get it transferred. I said I keep shuttling, he said prove it, I showed him toll receipts bundle lying in glove box some were from barely 3 months. He said ok go! It's another thing back on those days I went to GOA every three months!! Moral of the story be prepared to be grilled, and if a senior guy is sitting its not going to be 50 but fairly higher or he may even decide to make it official as the amount involved could be high and may not risk accepting a bribe on it.

Last edited by canonball : 29th May 2013 at 23:11.
Old 30th May 2013, 07:12   #39
Senior - BHPian

This ongoing scam by RTO is nothing but simple plain bullshit. A car registered anywhere in Maharashtra can be used in any city within Maharashtra without re registration or number changed, that is the law. If Mumbai RTO officials feel that one needs to pay octroi to use the car within Mumbai, let them stop state govt ST buses from plying within Mumbai limits bearing a non Mumbai RTO number. What they are doing has no legal sanctity, and if you encounter such moronic/corrupt official ask him to make a legal challan stating that you need to pay octroi and watch him vanish in a jiffy
Old 30th May 2013, 11:58   #40
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Actually while one is allowed to register a vehicle anywhere in Maharashtra and use in another place, that other address does have to be legal. Many times a false address is provided for registration outside Mumbai / Thane to evade Octroi and this definitely needs to be caught / stopped.

Also when one is buying a second hand vehicle registered in some place in Maharashtra many tend to give the dealer / agent a fixed charge to get the vehicle registered again without paying octroi (if the buyer happens to stay in octroi zone and the vehicle is earlier registered outside it.

The RTO is generally quite strict now about checking for genuine address while registering. They do not really bother too much for vehicles registered in another zone where octroi is applicable.
Old 30th May 2013, 15:30   #41

I think there is a misconception on this forum on what the BMC intends to tackle. The root problem is that cars are being registered with out of Mumbai addresses but are used entirely within Mumbai city limits. The addresses to which they are registered are fictitious, with the intent of avoiding octroi and other taxes. Not only is this unethical but downright illegal. Imagine a hit and run situation where a license plate that was recorded by eyewitnesses is traced to a fake address. However, as some members have pointed out, the blame should also be shared by the dealers and the RTOs that have registered these vehicles without performing any address verification. Some form of address proof should be demanded by RTO / dealers for registration - attested bank statements at the very least.
Old 30th May 2013, 15:58   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_wheel View Post
The addresses to which they are registered are fictitious, with the intent of avoiding octroi and other taxes.
Hello,

Though some of the addresses of the Cars registered outside Mumbai (say Thane RTO, Panvel or Vasai RTO) may be fictitious, but the real intention is definitely to save Taxes.

Notice the registration numbers of fleet taxis, company pick-up & drop buses & you will see that most of these vehicles are MH-43 (Panvel RTO) & MH-48 (Vasai RTO) regsitered. MH-04 (Thane RTO) is now out of choice because since 2010 the taxes in Thane are at par with Mumbai.

The strategy these transport companies adopt is very simple - open / register a small office in Navi Mumbai or Vasai / Virar & then operate the business in Mumbai. Ideally speaking these vehicles should not be allowed parking space within city limits.

Thanks,
Old 30th May 2013, 16:04   #43
BHPian

Hey Jignesh,
Looks like a typo from your end.

MH-43 is Vashi RTO with 1% Cess
MH-46 is Panvel RTO with No Cess

So even among Navi Mumbai, beyond Belapur i.e Khargar and beyond falls under MH-46 Panvel RTO.

Mumbai always had 4.5% octroi, unless it is increased now and Thane I heard has 5.5% octroi. Earlier guys used to register in Thane MH-04 instead of MH-01 / MH-02 / MH-03 in suburban Mumbai.

Cheers
MKP

Last edited by mkpiyengar : 30th May 2013 at 16:05. Reason: typo corrected.
Old 30th May 2013, 16:32   #44
Senior - BHPian

Many a times vehicles are registered in other cities than Mumbai with addresses of the relatives. A simple rent agreement, a Police Verification (of course greased one) and an affadavit is used to register vehicles. The address is geniune but of the relative for eg electricity bill is used as address proof. In such cases BMC will not be able to stop such vehicles from plying in Mumbai since the reasons given by the user in case of any checking would be simple one saying they are visiting. BMC cant monitor such vehciles on day to day basis. The only problem which could arise is when the vehicle is to be sold off, the NOC needs to be obtained from the registered RTO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpiyengar View Post
MH-43 is Vashi RTO with 1% Cess
MH-46 is Panvel RTO with No Cess

So even among Navi Mumbai, beyond Belapur i.e Khargar and beyond falls under MH-46 Panvel RTO.

Mumbai always had 4.5% octroi, unless it is increased now and Thane I heard has 5.5% octroi. Earlier guys used to register in Thane MH-04 instead of MH-01 / MH-02 / MH-03 in suburban Mumbai.
Navi Mumbai has also implemented LBT with 4% being charged on vehicle ex showroom cost, so no longer the option of 1% cess will entice customers to register the vehicles with MH43 RTO.

Thane had 5% octroi earlier which has now been replaced by LBT and the rate still remains the same. However dont understand why LBT is charged at higher rate than other Municipal corporations. Pune charges 2% LBT (or Octroi as earlier) for vehicles less than 10L.

Last edited by aah78 : 31st May 2013 at 06:47. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 30th May 2013, 17:11   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_wheel View Post
I think there is a misconception on this forum on what the BMC intends to tackle. The root problem is that cars are being registered with out of Mumbai addresses but are used entirely within Mumbai city limits. The addresses to which they are registered are fictitious, with the intent of avoiding octroi and other taxes. Not only is this unethical but downright illegal. Imagine a hit and run situation where a license plate that was recorded by eyewitnesses is traced to a fake address. However, as some members have pointed out, the blame should also be shared by the dealers and the RTOs that have registered these vehicles without performing any address verification. Some form of address proof should be demanded by RTO / dealers for registration - attested bank statements at the very least.
This is presently impossible. Reason? RTO now couriers original rc smart card to the address registered at time of booking. So if you give fake address, you don't get your rc book, simple. What you said used to happen earlier before the computerisation of registration process and rc smart card.

Most Viewed