Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 20th September 2016, 20:27   #61
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Car registered outside Mumbai, but using in the city? PAY OCTROI, says the BMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Do we need to pay the Octroi along with it? And what's the amount charged for a pre-owned car registered outside the Mumbai city limits?
If transferring to an RTO inside Mumbai yes Octroi needs to be paid. Depends on your agent how much you pay
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2017, 07:01   #62
BHPian

Default Re: Car registered outside Mumbai, but using in the city? PAY OCTROI, says the BMC

Based out of Hyderabad. Chevrolet Beat, Ford Classic and Fiat Linea at home. All Telangana registered, all Diesel. I drive the Beat for short runs and Linea for long runs. Dad drives the Ford. Nobody else at home drives. Usage pattern Beat 10000 kms, Ford 16000 Kms and Fiat 16000 Kms a year.

I moved to Mumbai as wifey began working at Tata Memorial Hospital. The assignment is for 4 years. My Linea was stopped by a random traffic cop on my day 1 here.

I was planning on selling the Beat anyway since GM shut operations. I will be driving in and out of state a couple of times in a year. So, collecting toll bills and fuel bills will not be an issue. Linea is very dear to me and very comfortable for long drives. Other cars are also very dear with great memories attached. I usually don't sell and prefer to keep my cars till end of life as I try and keep them in top shape.

In this context, should I consider keeping the Linea in Mumbai and explaining to the cops every time they stop me that I am here for short term and show them the receipts? Or should I sell the Ford too along with the Beat ( which was anyway going away) and give Dad the Linea so I can get a used MH car for 4 years?

Linea bought a year ago, brand new. Ford and Beat 2012 registered bought 18 months ago and 12 months ago respectively. Fiat 15k, Beat 54k, Ford 48k on the odometer. No car close to its end of life, definitely. If that helps in any way.

Looking for suggestions.

Slightly OT, GST came saying one country, one tax. Why don't they do similarly for road tax, excise tax etc?

Last edited by bharatbits : 19th October 2017 at 07:25.
bharatbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2017, 12:08   #63
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Car registered outside Mumbai, but using in the city? PAY OCTROI, says the BMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbits View Post
Based out of Hyderabad.

Looking for suggestions. ?

If you travel regularly back and forth, I would recommend keeping toll receipts to show that you have just come in. Technically there is a 6 months to 1 year period for use in any other state. It also depends what route you drive, try changing the route to avoid seeing the same cop daily and therefore attracting his attention to your number plate.

I think you should use the linea for 1 year in Mumbai and then decide. If your wife or you again move out, then the issue is there for another state again.

I used a GJ car for 2 years without an issue. Once cop stopped the car and we showed them toll receipts and said car is visiting will go back shortly, end of story.

This is just a harassment to fill their coffers as all cops have some quota to fill. This nonsense will go on till 31/3/2018. After that no headaches for another 6 months.

GST does not bring in road tax and other taxes as every state has different rates. The GOI needs to quickly bring even all these taxes into GST and eliminate this rule of registration in different states. One nation one tax (different slabs apparently so not really one tax) and one registration with free movement anywhere.

Last edited by M00M : 19th October 2017 at 12:12.
M00M is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2017, 12:51   #64
BHPian

Quote:

I moved to Mumbai as wifey began working at Tata Memorial Hospital. The assignment is for 4 years. My Linea was stopped by a random traffic cop on my day 1 here.
I think it was your bad luck you were stopped the first day. I used a UP registered car in Mumbai between 2012-2017 and faced very little issues. Just once I was stopped because of the Registration and was promptly let off when I said I would be leaving soon. Few other times my car was towed or stopped for having tinted windows, the cops told me to get the MH registration done and let me go. Just keep a recent PUC from MH, once I showed a 1-2 year old PUC when I was stopped and had a hard time convincing them that I was just visiting, however they did let me go eventually.

Also how is it driving to Hyderabad from Mumbai? I drove once to Pune from Hyderabad but the roads are terrible.

Last edited by Foxbat : 19th October 2017 at 12:53.
Foxbat is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2017, 13:38   #65
BHPian

There are rules that are found in the books and there are some that our cops tell us. I moved from Assam to Mumbai in 2001. It was just impossible to keep driving in Mumbai with an AS registration plate - I was getting caught every other day. Everyone advised me to change it to MH-02 since I was living in Goregaon. I didn't bother to read the books, I got it changed to MH-02. Till date I am not sure if I could have got away with just paying octroi or a re registration was a must. I haven't seen similar incidents happening in other states where cars with registration plates from any state can be driven 'fearlessly'. And here we have BMC ever greedy with octroi resulting in out of Mumbai (but MH registered) vehicles being 'forced' to pay octroi, forget about vehicles from other states. That's why we see so many of MH-04 registered vehicles running in Mumbai city. What is BMC providing extra to its car owners in lieu of the additional taxes that they pay?

Last edited by skchettry : 19th October 2017 at 13:44.
skchettry is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2017, 14:22   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
Also how is it driving to Hyderabad from Mumbai? I drove once to Pune from Hyderabad but the roads are terrible.
I drove to Pune from Hyderabad couple of times.

Hyd to Bidar 220 Kms butter smooth roads.
Bidar to Solapur 140 Kms very very bad roads.
Solapur to Pune 220 kms very good roads.

Distances are approximate give or take 15 Kms.

There's a different route from Hyderabad, slightly longer which is fairly good. Hyd, Vikarabad, Chevella, Parigi, Gulbarga, Akkalkot, Solapur, Pune. Longer, slightly slower but you won't spoil your car's suspension and build rattles like on the Bidar-Solapur stretch.

NH work is on progress on the Bidar-Solapur stretch and once that's done it will be a breeze.

Last edited by aah78 : 19th October 2017 at 18:27. Reason: Quote fixed. Typos.
bharatbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2017, 14:29   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Based out of Hyderabad. Chevrolet Beat, Ford Classic and Fiat Linea at home. All Telangana registered, all Diesel. I drive the Beat for short runs and Linea for long runs. Dad drives the Ford. Nobody else at home drives. Usage pattern Beat 10000 kms, Ford 16000 Kms and Fiat 16000 Kms a year.

I was planning on selling the Beat anyway since GM shut operations. I will be driving in and out of state a couple of times in a year. So, collecting toll bills and fuel bills will not be an issue. Linea is very dear to me and very comfortable for long drives. Other cars are also very dear with great memories attached. I usually don't sell and prefer to keep my cars till end of life as I try and keep them in top shape.

In this context, should I consider keeping the Linea in Mumbai and explaining to the cops every time they stop me that I am here for short term and show them the receipts? Or should I sell the Ford too along with the Beat ( which was anyway going away) and give Dad the Linea so I can get a used MH car for 4 years?

Linea bought a year ago, brand new. Ford and Beat 2012 registered bought 18 months ago and 12 months ago respectively. Fiat 15k, Beat 54k, Ford 48k on the odometer. No car close to its end of life, definitely. If that helps in any way.

Looking for suggestions.

Slightly OT, GST came saying one country, one tax. Why don't they do similarly for road tax, excise tax etc?
Please don't bother, cops in Mumbai won't catch you or even notice your out of state car, they are not after all this at all. Keep the toll receipts and just explain when stopped if stopped which I doubt will happen even once in a few months.

My building has 4 DD registered cars, they run in Mumbai and go for outstation trips too, no one bothers or cares.
humyum is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote