Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2012, 17:03   #1

Car registered outside Mumbai, but using in the city? PAY OCTROI, says the BMC

BMC says that Octroi is applicable for vehicles used within Mumbai limits even if the vehicle is registered at another RTO.
Read the article in TOI today. Mentioned below is the link.

Article Window
Old 18th May 2012, 17:19   #2
BHPian

re: Car registered outside Mumbai, but using in the city? PAY OCTROI, says the BMC

This is extremely difficult to enforce in my opinion. A good move nevertheless! A better move would be to abolish Octroi.
mohandasnikhil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2012, 17:57   #3
BHPian

re: Car registered outside Mumbai, but using in the city? PAY OCTROI, says the BMC

MH is the only state in India that still levies octroi (i think only Mumbai, Pune, and Nasik have it) - it should move on an abolish this thing.

how and who would determine whether the vehicle is being "used" in mumbai. i remember that few years ago, cooperative housing socities in Thane had got notices to enlist those cars bearing non MH04 number in their parking spaces and send it to RTO so that RTO force them to transfer.

Last edited by infotech58 : 18th May 2012 at 17:59.
Old 18th May 2012, 18:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek_shah View Post
BMC says that Octroi is applicable for vehicles used within Mumbai limits even if the vehicle is registered at another RTO.
Read the article in TOI today. Mentioned below is the link.
Article Window
It is very difficult to enforce the same. How will one prove that say a Thane vehicle has been in Mumbai Octri limits and being used in Mumbai only. There are numerous vehicles that are being driven from Thane and suburbs to Office in Nariman point.

It is very difficult to enforce the same. It would have been easier if the vehicle had electronic tracking (like EZEEPASS). given the current scenario, its difficult.
Old 18th May 2012, 19:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car registered outside Mumbai, but using in the city? PAY OCTROI, says the BMC

What happens when I visit from Pune to Mumbai?
What happens when I shift from Pune to Mumbai?
Old 18th May 2012, 19:34   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car registered outside Mumbai, but using in the city? PAY OCTROI, says the BMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
What happens when I visit from Pune to Mumbai?
What happens when I shift from Pune to Mumbai?
I hope they do not pass a judgement like Sun-Film.

Order: Collect Octroi from all cars visting Mumbai
Govt enforcers: Its not possbile.
Order: Why
Govt enforcers: we cannot track the same
Order: Collect Octroi from every vehicle registered for the past 15 years from all RTO regions falling within a 200 km radius from Mumbai City

Last edited by scopriobharath : 18th May 2012 at 19:37.
scopriobharath is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th May 2012, 21:40   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath
Order: Collect Octroi from every vehicle registered for the past 15 years from all RTO regions falling within a 200 km radius from Mumbai City
Errr. What if I sold the said <15 yr old car.
Also, why are you giving advise which is going to be detrimental. What if some one takes it to heart and follows it.
And yes, I noticed the smileys
Old 18th May 2012, 21:52   #8
BHPian

Wow...this seems to be heading the way of the now infamous sun film edict. I mean say I am back at home in Mumbai for vacations from Pune with a Pune registered vehicle?
Our bureaucracy has a tendency to go in for ill conceived rules and regulations which fail miserably when it comes to implementation.
On another front- Octroi should be done away with altogether.
Old 19th May 2012, 03:48   #9
BHPian

This is rubbish, used cars don't have octrio duty in nasik & pune, what if one buys a used car from nasik & has a residence over there as well as in mumbai. why should he pay octrio if he is traveling to bombay-nasik with the car? This is just stupid..
Old 19th May 2012, 04:42   #10
BHPian

Yay another useless idea from our leaders

As everyone said impossible to enforce, waste of time, will be eventually used to harass a handful of motorist
fre2bpowerless is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 09:47   #11
Team-BHP Support

How do they calculate octroi for different cars (read engine size)?
Old 19th May 2012, 13:00   #12
~~h
BHPian

One must ignore the news and move on.
The same havoc happened in housing socity drive, I don't think it did any mass damage.

Secondly, how are they going to enforce it ? Mumbai traffice cops have the best manners the world if you are caught in an offense, they always treat you with respect (even if you can't speak local language)and the maximum damage is 50 Rs.
Old 19th May 2012, 13:39   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~h View Post
The same havoc happened in housing socity drive, I don't think it did any mass damage.
What havoc they did? this is just plain stupid, we no more a democratic country? if i have a house elsewhere outside city limits i should have a choice where to register/park it.
Old 19th May 2012, 13:48   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~h View Post

Secondly, how are they going to enforce it ? Mumbai traffice cops have the best manners the world if you are caught in an offense, they always treat you with respect (even if you can't speak local language)and the maximum damage is 50 Rs.
No way.
Its because of such lackadaisical attitude of our society that idiots at the helm are allowed to go ahead with such hare-brained ideas and laws.

In fact we have idiots at helm exactly for these reasons!
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 19:15   #15
BHPian

I think this is to bust all the people who bought cars with fake thane/panvel addresses to avoid octrio?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks