Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2012, 14:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

Honda's small MUV (Ertiga's Rival)

Honda is also joining the people mover brigade by launching the Ertiga rival around 2014 end, based on modified Jazz platform. Engine specs are expected to be the 1.5 Litre petrol & (probably) 1.6 Litre oil burner. Here is link to ACI report on the same-

SCOOP! Honda plans Ertiga rival in 2014/15 - News - Autocar India

Seems that this segment will surely heat up by the next Auto Expo.
CARDEEP is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2012, 14:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda's small MUV (Eritga's Rival)

Prospective MUV customers will surely be smiling. One is eager to see the the oil burners from Honda in the different segments. 'When' is big question!
The Freed, I'm sure, will be spacious and cleverly packaged like the Jazz. I think Nissan is also expected to come out with their MUV sooner than later.
Old 21st May 2012, 14:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

Honda:
yay, please do bring the diesel mill and offer a good buyback for existing faithful. It remains to be see what impact the diesel mill has here
Old 21st May 2012, 15:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

Too late to respond. Ertiga would be refreshed by then. market would already have been crowded with multiple choices from various companies.

I have to admit, my respect for launching products have gone up for Maruti by many folds.
amtak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2012, 15:35   #5
BHPian

But why in 2014/15? I am pretty sure they'll try to harp on the "H" badge and try to wrest away customers from Maruti etc. And as amtak mentioned, we'd have a slew of MUVs by then as most other manufacturers would probably be able to chop up their large SUV / people movers into a smaller version and sell. I am thinking a baby Innova, Minnova?

Good luck to Honda. I just want to see a Honda diesel!
Old 21st May 2012, 15:40   #6
Team-BHP Support

Autocar is projecting as if the Freed is an all new car to rival the Ertiga. Infact, in SE Asian markets it’s the other way around. Freed is already manufactured in Indonesia, and the Ertiga is launched there as a direct rival.

But yes, it will be a good addition to the Indian market. It’s an extremely clever package, and the dimensions are almost identical to the Jazz. What I don’t understand is, why they need to wait until 2014/15. IMHO, they should think of bringing in the current Freed, to cash on the 7-seater rage.
Old 21st May 2012, 15:54   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
What I don’t understand is, why they need to wait until 2014/15. IMHO, they should think of bringing in the current Freed, to cash on the 7-seater rage.
perhaps they want to wait till they have the diesel mill and launch it then? launching a petrol only vehicle may not make sense as the Freed would be written off by the Indian diesel loving public and a later diesel launch may not help if it is years away.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2012, 16:38   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
perhaps they want to wait till they have the diesel mill and launch it then? launching a petrol only vehicle may not make sense as the Freed would be written off by the Indian diesel loving public and a later diesel launch may not help if it is years away.
That’s true, but if they are thinking of 2014-15 timeline, it may be a bit too late. Most probably, the market will be flooded with MPVs by then.

IMHO, a 1.5L Petrol Freed may still work for Honda. It can be slotted in between the Jazz and the City, and it may still find buyers due to (1) because it’s a Honda, and (2) a fully loaded Freed maybe more attractive for those who are currently going for the likes of City CE.
Old 21st May 2012, 17:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda's small MUV (Ertiga's Rival)

Stop dreaming guys ... Honda will not make it till 2015 at least. They still struggling to bring oil burner, forget about this car in 2014. Till the time its in market, you will have at least 5 more options than Ertiga from all manufacturers. That time no body will hardly notice about it. So better Honda forget about it if they are planning for it. Till 2015 Ertiga must have sold around 2.5 Lacs cars already
Old 21st May 2012, 19:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

Every manufacturer has one similar to Ertiga. But Maruti opens the sector up by deriving the first starter advantage. See this link for the VW 7 seater which was recently launched in Malaysia.
News and Link - rushlane
Volkswagen Sharan MPV seven seater launched in Malaysia | Rush Lane
Old 21st May 2012, 19:08   #11
Senior - BHPian

It appears to be a good product, but Honda is always "late" into the segment (Read Brio). Market in 2014 for small MUVs would be almost saturated with Ertgas, NV200s, Hyundai Entourage and rivals in the competition. It would also face heat from compact SUVs (Read mini xylo with 7 seats) etc.

Honda will probably cater to one looking to replace his 3 year old mini MUV/SUV or wants to degrade from an Innova (due to size and frequent use in city).

Anyway - Best of luck to Honda and I hope they bring in a de-tuned / smaller capacity 1.5 of the 1.8 diesel planned for Civic / CR-V
Old 21st May 2012, 20:04   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Every manufacturer has one similar to Ertiga. But Maruti opens the sector up by deriving the first starter advantage. See this link for the VW 7 seater which was recently launched in Malaysia.
News and Link - rushlane
Volkswagen Sharan MPV seven seater launched in Malaysia | Rush Lane
What you mentioned is true Rajeev. And that first starter advantage is indeed a big one IMO.

That said, the MPV you mentioned – Sharan, is nothing like the Ertiga. It’s a massive car (bigger than Innova), and will easily cost more than 20-25 lakhs if launched in India. Very unlikely to happen in near future. They have a small Golf based 7-seater called the Touran, which actually is a nice prospect for India. Again, that one may not come cheap.
Old 21st May 2012, 23:27   #13
Senior - BHPian

I, for one, will eagerly wait for the FREED!!

Is the mini-Xylo canned? I saw on TV today morning (ET Now??) that M&M have scrapped the mini-Xylo and instead building an all-new compact MUV..
Old 22nd May 2012, 08:31   #14
BHPian

In a recent Autocar India show, Hormad mentioned about Honda planning to come up with Brio saloon diesel in 2013 and another diesel MUV to compete with Ertiga in 2014. Hopefully Honda will launch these models earlier !

venks
Old 22nd May 2012, 08:41   #15
Team-BHP Support

Seems to be a nice offering from Honda. Hopefully they are delaying launches until the diesel engine is ready.

But if they want to compete with a MS, they would have to play the pricing game very very well.

Sedans - fine; but I doubt the Indian market will warm up to an over-priced MUV.

Most Viewed