Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2012, 15:40   #1
BHPian

Skoda to replace stolen badges for free

For those from Mumbai, time to get a free Skoda badge!!

'The next time you send your Skoda in for service with a missing badge in Mumbai, be prepared for a pleasant surprise. As a goodwill gesture to its customers, Skoda Auto India has decided to replace missing badges for free. With the badges costing anywhere between Rs 600 for the Fabia's front badge to Rs 1,500 for the Yeti's rear badge, it is a move that will be appreciated by anyone who's had the irritating experience of driving around with a blank space on the nose or the boot-lid.

Skoda hasn't decided on what to do if your car goes back with a missing badge for a second time. Also, this offer is on primarily in Mumbai, because of the sheer number of orders for replacement badges from this region. With badges being replaced for free, the chances of people re-buying these stolen badges from dodgy street shops should drop. This reduced demand should hopefully curb thefts as well'

Skoda to replace stolen badges for free - News - Autocar India
vinair is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2012, 16:09   #2
BHPian

Re: Skoda to replace stolen badges for free

Haha!! Nice initiative by skoda. Although the chances of logo getting stolen from my car are low, if it does ill remember to put in as much feviquick as possible on the new one, so its impossible to remove.

Last edited by Y@SH : 23rd May 2012 at 16:11.
Old 23rd May 2012, 16:12   #3
Team-BHP Support

This is rather a pleasant surprise. VW and Skoda vehicles have borne the maximum brunt of logo thefts.

It is quite unlike the VW group to be so nice to it's customers; I just hope this goodwill gesture is not misused in whatever way.
Old 23rd May 2012, 16:21   #4
BHPian

Nice gesture there by Skoda !!
I was highly irritated for 3 days during which the Ford badge from the front grill of my ride was stolen.
This time I applied Fevi Quick and Araldite before putting it in place again
Old 23rd May 2012, 16:35   #5
BANNED

Second nice initiative from Skoda, first being "Skoda Introduces ‘If You Drink, We Drive’ Campaign".

But why both these initiatives only in Mumbai and why not in other Major cities ?
IMO they should start offering these services in other cities as well.

Last edited by mohammedismail : 23rd May 2012 at 16:50.
Old 23rd May 2012, 16:54   #6
Senior - BHPian

This is indeed a wonderful initiative from Skoda and must be followed by other manufacturers too.

Great news for us Skoda owners...
Old 23rd May 2012, 16:58   #7
Team-BHP Support

A good initiative but I think a nominal amount like Rs.200 should have been better. It prevents misuse by some users.

Skoda had to do it since their badges are one of the most expensive along with VW. Only because of the cost of badges did this crime come about.

Why do you think Maruti badges aren't stolen as much because they cost less than 100 bucks to replace.

If the badges are priced less the crime will stop automatically.
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2012, 17:13   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Agree with Vid. As a VW owner I face the same problem- people want to steal my badges . VW dealer sells the logos for about 1700/- each when I last checked. This is why lots of owners prefer their rides goes around debadged.I myself let it ride "nude" for quite a while but later got them replaced.

All I want as an owner is that the price be brought down to some reasonable level, e.g. Honda badges cost some 325/- or so each. The moment anything is made free, people misuse it. Won't be suprised to find EVERY car that goes into Skoda for a service is stripped of its badge beforehand so that owners have a spare set at the end of it!
noopster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2012, 17:28   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow.

And they should also revise the price of the badges such that stealing those becomes pointless.
Old 23rd May 2012, 17:33   #10
BHPian

Badge thefts is a global phenomenon. It is for this reason that the 'Spirit of ecstasy' dives beneath the bonnet in a Rolls. Brilliantly executed if i may. Us lesser mortals will have to live in fear i guess.
revintup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2012, 18:02   #11
BHPian

I hope VW also does the same and replaces badges for all polos.
Old 23rd May 2012, 21:32   #12
BHPian

It is a good gesture from Skoda indeed.

As Vid said, companies should make the logo cheaper and customers should purchase logo from dealerships only. If companies initiate some steps in this direction the logo theft can be controlled to some extent.

Another option could be make the logo as built in part of the grille and boot lid. Some thing similar to Mahindra Verito.
Old 24th May 2012, 07:09   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post
Haha!! Nice initiative by skoda. Although the chances of logo getting stolen from my car are low, if it does ill remember to put in as much feviquick as possible on the new one, so its impossible to remove.
Tried that on one of my cars - created more problems because the thief tried to pry the badge out and in the process created a lot of scratches. End result: I had to repaint that section. So, it is probably better to leave it alone - the cost of a badge might be substantially less than repainting that area especially since one cant just paint the area where the badge resides (due to paint mismatch) - one has to paint practically the whole section.
Old 24th May 2012, 07:27   #14
Senior - BHPian

Good gesture from Skoda considering that have the distiction of their vehicle badges being stolen/flipped maximum. But why limit to only Mumbai, I am sure the issue/recors must be very much similar in other Metros too. I hope Skoda listens and passes the benefits to other city customers too.

I hope other car manufacturers too take a cue from this and offer free badges, feel very sad to so many cars on road with the logos.
Old 24th May 2012, 10:19   #15
BHPian

Good one Skoda!
Isn't it possible that the badges are to be replaced to the new design, and Skoda trying to get rid of the stock, and earn a good name in the process? Noopster may know!
Name:  180pxSkodaLogo2011withText.png
Views: 2105
Size:  43.0 KB
2cents is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed