Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2012, 16:19   #166
BHPian

Spotted the Brio Diesel at Rajouri Garden (New Delhi) today.

I am assuming that they were doing some kind of a testing, because there was a device on the dashboard and the guy on the passenger seat was having a laptop.

Couldn't take a photograph of the device as such but was able to capture the back. I am assuming that it was a diesel as it had a UP reg. red plate and there were no badges on the car.
Attached Thumbnails
*SCOOP* Honda Brio DIESEL caught. EDIT: Only for next-gen Brio in 2017-image2238346079.jpg  

*SCOOP* Honda Brio DIESEL caught. EDIT: Only for next-gen Brio in 2017-image4285851516.jpg  

*SCOOP* Honda Brio DIESEL caught. EDIT: Only for next-gen Brio in 2017-image3170342521.jpg  

*SCOOP* Honda Brio DIESEL caught. EDIT: Only for next-gen Brio in 2017-image1318354706.jpg  

*SCOOP* Honda Brio DIESEL caught. EDIT: Only for next-gen Brio in 2017-image1584704753.jpg  

Last edited by satyamkaushik : 8th June 2012 at 16:25.
satyamkaushik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2012, 01:14   #167
BHPian

re: *SCOOP* Honda Brio DIESEL caught. EDIT: Only for next-gen Brio in 2017

Honda has left out Rear Windshield/Tail-gate Defogger & Wash-wipe feature on Brio petrol.
But as visible from the pics, the Diesel variant(if its really so) also lacks the same, specifically Diesel cars are usually destined to heavy usage so such features are obviously needed(specifically Rear Defogger).
So, Rather than chopping onto the features for cost cutting for Diesel Brio again, Honda seriously need to Re-think something on this, as Skoda did it on Fabia top-end variants, which now comes again with Rear-wash wipe, defogger of its top end Elegance trim.
Old 9th June 2012, 01:19   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik View Post

I am assuming that they were doing some kind of a testing, because there was a device on the dashboard and the guy on the passenger seat was having a laptop.
Hi satyamkaushik,

Were you able to hear the diesel clatter and also, observed black smoke when it accelerated??

-Sajan
Old 9th June 2012, 08:59   #169
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post
Honda has left out Rear Windshield/Tail-gate Defogger & Wash-wipe feature on Brio petrol.
It is also possible that the mule was not equipped with some of the creature comforts.
Old 9th June 2012, 10:16   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik View Post

Couldn't take a photograph of the device as such but was able to capture the back. I am assuming that it was a diesel as it had a UP reg. red plate and there were no badges on the car.
It's the same car i spotted on Gurgaon Expressway. I noticed a GPS antenna kind of device on the windshield and some other equipment on front seat and there was a passenger on the rear seat.
Old 9th June 2012, 10:23   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Though the chopping off of these features would have helped Honda save some costs, I don't think that is the main reason behind these features being omitted.
The rear wash-wipe needs a motor to power them, and the rear defogger needs a module for its operation. These cannot be left open right? Usually in regular hatches, these motors and modules go inside the metal part of the hatch and are neatly kept out of view by a trim cover. But the Honda Brio's all glass hatch cannot do this trick.
Conversely, I think Honda could have included a trim cover for the glass hatch like the Volvo C30's glass hatch does, that way both the all glass hatch that Honda desired and the features that the customers desired could have been incorporated into the Brio.

The glass hatch of the Volvo C 30. Note the presence of the trim board, to cover up the auxilaries.
*SCOOP* Honda Brio DIESEL caught. EDIT: Only for next-gen Brio in 2017-c30.jpg
The glass hatch of the Honda Brio
*SCOOP* Honda Brio DIESEL caught. EDIT: Only for next-gen Brio in 2017-2011hondabriorearview.jpg

Last edited by aravind.anand : 9th June 2012 at 10:24.
aravind.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2012, 10:55   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajands

Hi satyamkaushik,

Were you able to hear the diesel clatter and also, observed black smoke when it accelerated??

-Sajan
I couldn't see any black smoke as such, but could hear a typical diesel engine sound, though it could have been from any other car as well, as there was a lot of traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman

It's the same car i spotted on Gurgaon Expressway. I noticed a GPS antenna kind of device on the windshield and some other equipment on front seat and there was a passenger on the rear seat.

Ya there was an antenna attached inside, hanging from the roof ( a pipe kind of a thing ;p ).

This time there was a device on the windscreen/dashboard, and a person sitting with a laptop on the front passenger seat and a person at the rear seat as well.
So they were three in all.

I tried clicking a pic from the side, but as i was diving it was difficult for me to take a shot, plus the driver i guess had sensed my intensions of taking a photograph and sped the car.

I am still wondering why would they be coming via Punjabi Bagh and Rajouri Garden ?
Does honda have, anything special here in west delhi ?

Last edited by satyamkaushik : 9th June 2012 at 10:57.
Old 9th June 2012, 11:18   #173
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Conversely, I think Honda could have included a trim cover for the glass hatch like the Volvo C30's glass hatch does, that way both the all glass hatch that Honda desired and the features that the customers desired could have been incorporated into the Brio.

The glass hatch of the Volvo C 30. Note the presence of the trim board, to cover up the auxilaries.
That's a good catch.

But I believe that there are two reasons why Honda did not attempt to install a rear-defogger and windshield-wiper in the Brio.

- The trim that can be installed behind the glass piece may restrict the small boot even further. The trim would protrude into the boot area like in the Volvo, but the Volvo is designed to have a larger boot and the trim is designed to be tucked away. In the Brio, the trim would foul with luggage.

- Costs. It's going to cost a helluva lot to install a rear defogger and wiper into the glass lid. The Brio was priced in such a way that it would stay on par with the i10. I'm sure these features would have pushed the price further up, and considerable too.
Old 9th June 2012, 11:23   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
That's a good catch.

- The trim that can be installed behind the glass piece may restrict the small boot even further. The trim would protrude into the boot area like in the Volvo, but the Volvo is designed to have a larger boot and the trim is designed to be tucked away. In the Brio, the trim would foul with luggage.
Precisely! Yes the Brio as such doesn't have much to brag about, and with a thick trim (the wiper motor is fairly large in volume) would dent its boot space further. Makes sense as to why Honda dint attempt this.
As for the cost, I think if the above constraint wasn't there, then Honda would have provided it, at least in the V model. The top end Hyundai i10 is priced way above the Brio right?
Old 9th June 2012, 13:06   #175
Senior - BHPian

Great catch. More of these tests being spotted means the diesel is around the corner and we may indeed have an announcement by year end or early next year.

I am on the look out for a diesel small car, maybe in the next 7-8 months.I have already started the search and have prepared an excel sheet on the cost dynamics of buying a car, both diesel and petrol which almost rules out a petrol car. Diesel Brio would be a very tempting proposition and I hope Honda does nt spoil the party by pricing it wrongly. Just keeping my fingers crossed on this one.
Old 9th June 2012, 17:28   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I will be the first in the queue for the CVT (petrol preferred). Thanks for giving me hope. I did hear some vague rumour that an AT may be coming in the Brio/Jazz by December.
My dad has already searching for a small automatic to replace his i10 Auto 2 years down the line. If Honda comes with it, then it will be our obvious choice. And if its diesel then it will be icing on the cake !
Old 9th June 2012, 17:44   #177
Senior - BHPian

while we are discussing rear wiper/defogger, i dont think these features are required in all markets. for e.g, in Chennai, you would probably never use the defogger. when i first moved to Gurgaon 3 years back, i used the defogger in the OHC during winter. till then, i had NEVER switched it on.

in my i10, i have rarely used the rear wiper.

for me these features are not deal breakers.
Old 9th June 2012, 22:39   #178
BHPian

Don't want to dampen the spirits .. but here is some news (authencity not guranteed) Twitter / hormazdsorabjee: For all of you asking, Bri
kmadhok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2012, 00:05   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
It is also possible that the mule was not equipped with some of the creature comforts.
Already its available without such creature comforts, you this time the possibility of happening the same can't be ruled out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Though the chopping off of these features would have helped Honda save some costs, I don't think that is the main reason behind these features being omitted.
The rear wash-wipe needs a motor to power them, and the rear defogger needs a module for its operation. These cannot be left open right? Usually in regular hatches, these motors and modules go inside the metal part of the hatch and are neatly kept out of view by a trim cover. But the Honda Brio's all glass hatch cannot do this trick.
Yes, you're right.
Rear wash-wipe feature might require special trim to accommodate wiper motor, etc.
But I guess, Rear Defogger doesn't require such complicated parts, instead its directly mounted to the tail-glass alone with its Wiring inserts on the either sides, as shown in the pic for Nissan Micra.
*SCOOP* Honda Brio DIESEL caught. EDIT: Only for next-gen Brio in 2017-nissan_micra_17.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
while we are discussing rear wiper/defogger, i dont think these features are required in all markets. for e.g, in Chennai, you would probably never use the defogger. when i first moved to Gurgaon 3 years back, i used the defogger in the OHC during winter. till then, i had NEVER switched it on.
Since, Brio Rear tail-gate is a Glass only & due to its small cabin, the mist formation can happen easily over there, under even milder conditions.
So, Rear defogger is a must in atleast North, North-East regions of India & Honda needs to do something for this, specifically if they can.

Last edited by CRtorquefan : 10th June 2012 at 00:09. Reason: Text editing
CRtorquefan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2012, 10:09   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...But I guess, Rear Defogger doesn't require such complicated parts, instead its directly mounted to the tail-glass alone with its Wiring inserts on the either sides, as shown in the pic for Nissan Micra...
The Micra has a metal hatch with a trim, so I initially thought the module/ regulator, which could be large could have been placed there. But well, when manufacturers are offering heated ORVMs, this can easily be done on the Brio! Rightly pointed out CR Torquefan! So now Honda has to offer this on the Brio soon enough. While Honda works on it, can existing Brio owners fit the rear defogger as an after market accessory?
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks