Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2012, 10:33   #271
BANNED

re: *SCOOP* Honda Brio DIESEL caught. EDIT: Only for next-gen Brio in 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
I told the dealership that i had read on tbhp about a diwali launch of Brio diesel. They said production had started but stopped again.(i couldnt get them to speak in detail about this)
They are postponing the launch to late 2012 or early 2013.
It is expected only by mid 2013. Deepawali is for the Petrol AT.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2012, 23:30   #272
Senior - BHPian

Just thought of sharing that I have been regularly seeing a sea-grey coloured Brio diesel in Udyog Vihar (Gurgaon) over the past couple of weeks, especially around 6PM. To be precise, the location was near the TCS office right across the CRPF camp. The car does not have any logos & carries some red coloured number plate.

Also, I noticed that the car had an audible clatter but it was not annoying. I kind of liked the sound of the engine.
Old 2nd August 2012, 22:32   #273
Distinguished - BHPian

Brio AT coming in November. Almost same specs as the Thai CVT version, except for a few India-specific features. Variant will be V AT. Price - ~ 5.75L.

Honda's diesel lineup in India to start from next year. Testing to continue till Feb 2013.

Brio diesel will be 2nd diesel offering from Honda. Expected launch - October/November 2013. To be powered by a 1.4 L i-DTEC, indigenously developed by Honda's engineers, and will be a world-first, India-specific launch.

First diesel Honda will be the City, which will be powered by a 1.6 i-DTEC, fine-tuned for maximising FE. Expected launch - June/July 2013. No info on the pricing yet, but expect at least ~ 1.25L-1.5L above the corresponding petrol variants.

No diesel AT in the cards for the next few years at least.
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2012, 22:56   #274
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

First diesel Honda will be the City, which will be powered by a 1.6 i-DTEC, fine-tuned for maximising FE. Expected launch - June/July 2013. No info on the pricing yet, but expect at least ~ 1.25L-1.5L above the corresponding petrol variants.
Can't imagine the fate of other cars once Honda comes with those diesel engines. The kind of loyalty Honda enjoys is unmatched by other car makers. And a diesel heart in a already proven car like the city can do wonders for Honda.
Old 2nd August 2012, 23:02   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Can't imagine the fate of other cars once Honda comes with those diesel engines. The kind of loyalty Honda enjoys is unmatched by other car makers. And a diesel heart in a already proven car like the city can do wonders for Honda.
But i'll doubt the reliability of the engine that Honda is gonna put in. They sure are one of the best players in the petrol engines, but for Diesel's i would prefer to stick with FPT or the VW group of engines.
Old 2nd August 2012, 23:06   #276
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naparajito View Post
But i'll doubt the reliability of the engine that Honda is gonna put in. They sure are one of the best players in the petrol engines, but for Diesel's i would prefer to stick with FPT or the VW group of engines.
Well I am not aware of the reliability of the engine as of now so I would rather not comment on it. But having said that I am pretty sure that the common man ( people outside the forum) would never think that deep and would rather lap up a Honda diesel 9 out of 10 times. These are the same people who opt for close to 5000 vernas every month even though the car has not got the best of handling abilities. Hope you understood the point I am trying to make.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2012, 23:17   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Well I am not aware of the reliability of the engine as of now so I would rather not comment on it. But having said that I am pretty sure that the common man ( people outside the forum) would never think that deep and would rather lap up a Honda diesel 9 out of 10 times. These are the same people who opt for close to 5000 vernas every month even though the car has not got the best of handling abilities. Hope you understood the point I am trying to make.
Yes you are indeed very correct, but what i'm trying to say is will Honda be able to make a diesel motor which as good as any european one's? Ex- the 1.5K9k motor that you use in your Sunny. I understand its a not a very high tech one, but will Honda be able to compete against it?
See, i believe some things are best to some people,
Petrol motor= Honda/Suzuki
Diesel motor= FPT/VW/Renault/Citroen

And from this you can see is, Japanese people are masters in making good petrol engines, but i really doubt them in making a diesel one!
Old 2nd August 2012, 23:23   #278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

And from this you can see is, Japanese people are masters in making good petrol engines, but i really doubt them in making a diesel one!
Toyota makes some really good diesel engines, but you may call that an exception rather than a norm for Japanese manufacturers. I don't think there is a lot of market for diesel cars in Japan because of some really strict emission norms. That said, I remember reading on another thread that the Mazda Sky Active diesel tech on the CX-5 is the first car ever that sells more diesel models than petrol in Japan. Probably Mazda also has a good one up their sleeves.
Anyway, the debate here should be the Honda diesel engines. I believe they have a good product that they sell in Europe, but it is probably not ready yet for India. But when they do come in with one, I foresee them selling bucket loads of diesel cars. It is something that the Indian market was waiting for, Honda brand + diesel economy..
Old 2nd August 2012, 23:31   #279
Senior - BHPian

Particularly about Renault, the 1.5 DCi is honestly an exception because the other higher cubic capacity versions of their DCi lineup are plagued with problems. The internet has quite a few stories about things going wrong with the elder cousins of the 1.5 K9K.
Quote:
Diesel motor= FPT/VW/Renault/Citroen

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 2nd August 2012 at 23:32.
Old 8th August 2012, 11:57   #280
BHPian

DIESEL BRIO SPOTTED IN CHENNAI!!

Hello BHPians,
This morning, When i was on the way to college, I saw a Brio. At first, i thought it was just another Brio. But, when it started pulling away, i noticed that it didn't have any badges and it had a Red Uttar Pradesh reg plate.
I then remembered this thread, it was the very same Brio! Same color but, it looked like someone had rear ended it. It had a big dent on the rear bumper. I tried following him but he sped away. Sorry, wasn't able to click any pictures :(

Last edited by saadat1992 : 8th August 2012 at 11:58.
Old 8th August 2012, 12:51   #281
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday saw four Honda Brios being tested on NH-1 (Delhi - Amritsar). They were moving in a convoy and all of them had more than one occupant inside. I am guessing they were testing the diesel and/or the petrol AT.

Quote:
Isuzu was known to make the best diesel engines. I also feel the Toyota diesel engines are quite good. The engine in the Qualis was a hallmark of reliability.
Old 8th August 2012, 13:55   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992 View Post

Hello BHPians,
This morning, When i was on the way to college, I saw a Brio. At first, i thought it was just another Brio. But, when it started pulling away, i noticed that it didn't have any badges and it had a Red Uttar Pradesh reg plate.
I then remembered this thread, it was the very same Brio! Same color but, it looked like someone had rear ended it. It had a big dent on the rear bumper. I tried following him but he sped away. Sorry, wasn't able to click any pictures :(
Besides the dent did it have some strips of polythene or some material stuck on the rear ? The HMSL looked weather worn and there was a "seth" (no offence meant) kind of guy sprawled on the back seat taking notes every 10 min or so.

The driver never exceeded 60 km/hr on ECR and at that speed the noise on the outside is mild (atleast compared to my Indica V2).

Have clicked some pics and a video with my phone cam (only 2 MP, so dont have any expectations) will try to post them tonight.

Disclaimer : Just a wild guess here. The turbo seems to come alive at around 2000-2200 rpm since every time I moved from 2nd - 3rd (I upshift at that RPMs on my car), I could see that the Brio was also pulling away leaving me in a puff of smoke. It is a light smoker as far as I could see.
Old 8th August 2012, 14:02   #283
BHPian

I just hope they have an AT version of this!! Would be the ideal car for my wife!
Old 8th August 2012, 14:06   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992 View Post

Hello BHPians,
Well, I too did spot this brio near Madya Kailash junction at around 7:35am. The Brio had no Honda badge in the front, was very dirty and grey in color. Knew this would be the new diesel Brio as I had seen this in tbhp/GH scoops.
Old 8th August 2012, 19:43   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
Well, I too did spot this brio near Madya Kailash junction at around 7:35am. The Brio had no Honda badge in the front, was very dirty and grey in color. Knew this would be the new diesel Brio as I had seen this in tbhp/GH scoops.
Yes, the very same Brio. It was weathered and had no badges. I knew that it was the diesel because of the smoke when it sped away.
I spotted it near the Kodambakkam bridge at 7am.
That guy was confused on which route to take, he first went to the right and then took a sharp left before the bridge and disappeared.

Most Viewed