Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2012, 19:46   #286
Senior - BHPian

re: *SCOOP* Honda Brio DIESEL caught. EDIT: Only for next-gen Brio in 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
I just hope they have an AT version of this!! Would be the ideal car for my wife!
Heard from the MD of Dakshin Honda that an Automatic version of the Brio is in the pipeline. Maybe in a month or so. So just hold on for a while.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2012, 09:56   #287
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
Heard from the MD of Dakshin Honda that an Automatic version of the Brio is in the pipeline. Maybe in a month or so. So just hold on for a while.
The AT will be Petrol, and not Diesel. I think this has been reported on this thread a few times earlier. I got confirmation from the GM of Pushp Honda about a month ago. Also, Hormazd had reported this (I think in his tweet). There were various reports of August / Sept / Oct / Nov and even Dec. The latest I have is the festival season, i.e. Dusshera to Diwali.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2012, 23:20   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
The AT will be Petrol, and not Diesel. I think this has been reported on this thread a few times earlier. I got confirmation from the GM of Pushp Honda about a month ago. Also, Hormazd had reported this (I think in his tweet). There were various reports of August / Sept / Oct / Nov and even Dec. The latest I have is the festival season, i.e. Dusshera to Diwali.
Yes, it will be in petrol indeed. Should be a success given the appeal the Brio and the easy drivability of the Brio.
Old 12th August 2012, 14:27   #289
Senior - BHPian

Perhaps the Brio AT will be a hit, perhaps not. But it sure will eat into sales of the i10 AT and maybe even the A-Star AT given Honda's reliability, brand cache and given that even their AT transmission cars are generally quite fuel-efficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
First diesel Honda will be the City, which will be powered by a 1.6 i-DTEC, fine-tuned for maximising FE. Expected launch - June/July 2013. No info on the pricing yet, but expect at least ~ 1.25L-1.5L above the corresponding petrol variants.
Excellent to hear the City will be the first recipient of a Diesel heart, it needs it badly. Market sentiments are just too negative towards Petrol cars, no matter how good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
No diesel AT in the cards for the next few years at least.
This, however, saddens me somewhat. Hyundai is having a field day with the Verna Diesel AT doing quite decently and it has no competition in its price band! The two cars I feel can really take thump it with a decent Diesel AT, the Fiesta and Vento, seem to be held back by some kind of policy paralysis on the part of Ford and VW. A City Diesel AT in S and V variants would do exceedingly well. Of course, I base that off nothing more than gut feel, but I wish Honda has a rethink on this if there will indeed be no Diesel AT.

Last edited by iliketurtles : 12th August 2012 at 14:37. Reason: Just saw RavenAvi's post, had to offer my 2 cents
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2012, 14:34   #290

Eventhough based in Kerala, I am in Chennai for a week for some business purposes.

I spotted the two Diesel Brio's which are undergoing testing in the hotel parking lot where I am staying. One (dark dented car) is equipped with a big Diesel Tank in the rear seat which makes it grounded to the floor. Other one is white. Laptops are always connected to it. Both dont have any labels or badges even on steering wheel.

Yesterday night I had to park my car, criss cross and had blocked the way (due to limited parking space in the hotel) for these two Brios. So the watchman called me in the morning and I went downstairs to see the two Brio's with their driver's. I quickly relocated my car from their way and sat in my car observing them. Both of them where speaking Hindi and I noticed them writing on their log book and observing the readings in their Laptop which is connected to the car. The car was idled. Its definitely sounding like a diesel. But its sound was much lesser in comparison to my Cruze.

The guy in charge of the white Brio has now opened the Hood. Yes you guessed right, I had some goosebumps coming all over. Can I see the engine? The second guy has gone to take water. So I got out of the car and slowly started walking without getting into the eyes of the guy who is dealing the issues under the hood. But when I was only couple of meters away from the car he closed the Bonnet and looked at me with a question mark on his too damn serious face.

I smiled at him and asked 'Is this a Diesel'?. He with a very serious expression just looked the sky and said ' Its a top secret & I cant tell you'. I again smiled at him and told 'If it is a 'top secret' dont tell me. But I can surely understand from the sound that its a Diesel and I have been seeing this car for 2-3 days now. I am happy to read somewhere that engineers of Honda India are behind this diesel engine and it will be a world first of its kind. You guys are making Indians proud.'

Then I understood he also knows how to smile. I coundnt get more information. Will try next time if I meet them again. Hopefully...
arawinth is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th August 2012, 16:29   #291
BANNED

At the moment the only ATs in the segment or thereabouts are Dzire, A Star, i10 & i20. Of these as far as I know all barring the A Star are (pathetic) 3+1 dinosaur transmissions. Looking at the excitement here about the Brio AT I am sure it will sell well. Incidentally, it may be more economical to run than the Hyundai and Dzire Manuals.

Now with SIEL out of the way we can expect Honda to become more active. So wait and watch.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 13th August 2012 at 07:01. Reason: merging post
Old 12th August 2012, 16:39   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arawinth View Post
Eventhough based in Kerala, I am in Chennai for a week for some business purposes.

I spotted the two Diesel Brio's which are undergoing testing in the hotel parking lot where I am staying. One (dark dented car) is equipped with a big Diesel Tank in the rear seat which makes it grounded to the floor. Other one is white. Laptops are always connected to it. Both dont have any labels or badges even on steering wheel.

Yesterday night I had to park my car, criss cross and had blocked the way (due to limited parking space in the hotel) for these two Brios. So the watchman called me in the morning and I went downstairs to see the two Brio's with their driver's. I quickly relocated my car from their way and sat in my car observing them. Both of them where speaking Hindi and I noticed them writing on their log book and observing the readings in their Laptop which is connected to the car. The car was idled. Its definitely sounding like a diesel. But its sound was much lesser in comparison to my Cruze.

The guy in charge of the white Brio has now opened the Hood. Yes you guessed right, I had some goosebumps coming all over. Can I see the engine? The second guy has gone to take water. So I got out of the car and slowly started walking without getting into the eyes of the guy who is dealing the issues under the hood. But when I was only couple of meters away from the car he closed the Bonnet and looked at me with a question mark on his too damn serious face.

I smiled at him and asked 'Is this a Diesel'?. He with a very serious expression just looked the sky and said ' Its a top secret & I cant tell you'. I again smiled at him and told 'If it is a 'top secret' dont tell me. But I can surely understand from the sound that its a Diesel and I have been seeing this car for 2-3 days now. I am happy to read somewhere that engineers of Honda India are behind this diesel engine and it will be a world first of its kind. You guys are making Indians proud.'

Then I understood he also knows how to smile. I coundnt get more information. Will try next time if I meet them again. Hopefully...
Great spotting.

Just be careful.
When i caught the brio petrol, these guys tried to sped away and when they couldn't. They almost tried to run over me.
Old 13th August 2012, 00:09   #293
Senior - BHPian

Met a friend who works at Munjal Showa and he claims that he Brio Diesel will be launched in Jan,13. They have committed to supplying parts and he says its a gem of an engine. Apparently it will blow everyone away !!
nik_kapur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2012, 13:04   #294
Senior - BHPian

Guys!

Not that it is a big news but I can confirm 100% that the Brio diesel is undergoing extensive testing. I saw a caravan of 3 Brios, while returning from West Delhi (close to Dhaula Kuan, for those who are familiar with Delhi).

As I went close to the cars and while driving in adjacent lane to the Brios, I could hardly hear the diesel clatter. But I could make out from the diesel thrum that it was a diesel. I am telling you guys, the engine "will be" super refined one. None of the cars had any badging at their rear

I still think India loves Honda;just that we love diesels more and Honda doesn't have one right now.This will sell like hot cakes. A sure success, if they can price it below Swift (which they should)
Old 13th August 2012, 14:59   #295
Senior - BHPian

I never bought a honda till date coz their petrol cars were priced at a premium and they had no diesel. But with the recent price corrections in the City / Jazz and an excellent pricing strategy with the Brio, I would not be averse to owning a honda in the future.
But my question is, Honda were never the pioneers in diesel tech, so how good would their diesel units be? We have to wait and watch for sure. The brio diesel will be a block buster in india for sure, but personally I would want to wait and watch how the diesel unit does in the initial period.
Old 13th August 2012, 18:19   #296
Senior - BHPian

Lazy Monday moring and me driving off to office, I see a Urban Titanium coloured Brio quite a few cars ahead of me. I see that the bumper is broken and the owner has annoyingly stuck a dark grey tape to mask the crack. I wonder why he had taken such cheap measures to take care of a new car like the Brio. Then as I overtakr it, I notice that he has done the same for the sides too! Really cheap, it looks hideous, as if he was trying to camouflage his car only, I comment to myself and overtake him.

And then I reaqlised - Wait! Camauflaged? I look at the rear view mirror and notice the Red UP registration plate. Oh my god, its the Brio Diesel being tested, my pulse raced and I slowed down to allow him to overtake me. I switched off my music system, lowered my window and put the mobile out to take a video (video is the only way to prove that this Brio was diesel)
The driver upon noticing that I am shooting a video, suddenly slowed down from about 40 kmph to 20 kmph! The bus behind him hinks at him and he floors the pedal in 1st/2nd gear thus making a diesel roar as I capture it in my mobile, but the driver uses his indicators and slows down and vanishes into the traffic, smartly avoiding my mobile camera. But I managed to get a decent (strictly) video for you guys. And the Noise was comparable to the MJD diesel, very similar to it.

Last edited by aravind.anand : 13th August 2012 at 18:22.
aravind.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2012, 18:53   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
And the Noise was comparable to the MJD diesel, very similar to it.
Have they by any chance plonked the 'national diesel engine' into the Brio ?. That would be a smart move by Honda
Old 13th August 2012, 20:01   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Lazy Monday moring and me driving off to office, I see a Urban Titanium coloured Brio quite a few cars ahead of me. I see that the bumper is broken and the owner has annoyingly stuck a dark grey tape to mask the crack. I wonder why he had taken such cheap measures to take care of a new car like the Brio. Then as I overtakr it, I notice that he has done the same for the sides too! Really cheap, it looks hideous, as if he was trying to camouflage his car only, I comment to myself and overtake him.

And then I reaqlised - Wait! Camauflaged? I look at the rear view mirror and notice the Red UP registration plate. Oh my god, its the Brio Diesel being tested, my pulse raced and I slowed down to allow him to overtake me. I switched off my music system, lowered my window and put the mobile out to take a video (video is the only way to prove that this Brio was diesel)
The driver upon noticing that I am shooting a video, suddenly slowed down from about 40 kmph to 20 kmph! The bus behind him hinks at him and he floors the pedal in 1st/2nd gear thus making a diesel roar as I capture it in my mobile, but the driver uses his indicators and slows down and vanishes into the traffic, smartly avoiding my mobile camera. But I managed to get a decent (strictly) video for you guys. And the Noise was comparable to the MJD diesel, very similar to it.

Brio Diesel caught testing.MP4 - YouTube

I Spotted the very same Brio last week !
Where did you spot it? Looks like the Airport road near Meenambakkam.
Old 13th August 2012, 22:44   #299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992 View Post
I Spotted the very same Brio last week !
Where did you spot it? Looks like the Airport road near Meenambakkam.
Exactly, this was near the Radisson signal about 2 kms before the airport. The car seemed to be quite peppy within city limits, hope it has little or no turbo lag, as turbo lag in a city car isn't very pleasing.
Old 14th August 2012, 21:54   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Exactly, this was near the Radisson signal about 2 kms before the airport. The car seemed to be quite peppy within city limits, hope it has little or no turbo lag, as turbo lag in a city car isn't very pleasing.

Yes, hope it's as peppy as the MJD and Figo's TDCI. The acceleration is quite good ,my Santro couldn't keep up with it !

Most Viewed