Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2012, 11:11   #331
AWD
BHPian

re: *SCOOP* Honda Brio DIESEL caught. EDIT: Only for next-gen Brio in 2017

Isn't Honda turning out to be "Nokia" of the Auto sector! From a high vantage point its almost off the horizon. Their top executives either totally miss-judjed or were ill-informed or were too confident about the Indian market. A timely inclusion of what Consumers wanted could have secured their position at the top.

By 2014 or so, there will be an array of diesel models in the market by almost each & every car-maker, Honda then will have to fight tooth & nail to make an entry. Since this is India & anything could change drastically by just one little move by the Govt. & any further hike in diesel prices or duty on diesel vehicles could again bring Honda to life. So Honda can find solace in this!
Old 28th October 2012, 09:49   #332
Team-BHP Support

Moderator's note: This thread is for the Brio diesel hatch and not for the upcoming Sedan version of Brio.

Discussions pertaining to the saloon version should continue in https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-2013-a-5.html

Thanks,

Team-BHP Support
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2012, 10:58   #333
Senior - BHPian

I saw 4 Brio on Delhi Gurgaon Expressway being driven at 120 kmph on Saturday. 3 of them had no badging and one was i-vtech and all of them had some small instrument attached to the internal rear view mirror.

I think that the 3 unbadged were diesel as they had fuel spillage mark near the fuel lid (I may be wrong on this front but being driven without badges creates suspicion ). However two had minor damages (dents on bumper and small dent on rear door).
Attached Thumbnails
*SCOOP* Honda Brio DIESEL caught. EDIT: Only for next-gen Brio in 2017-20121027957.jpg  

sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2012, 16:54   #334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
I saw 4 Brio on Delhi Gurgaon Expressway being driven at 120 kmph on Saturday
It might be Diesels. There is a small difference in bumper for exhaust tail pipe.

*SCOOP* Honda Brio DIESEL caught. EDIT: Only for next-gen Brio in 2017-brio.jpg

Cheers!
myavu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2012, 15:50   #335
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Got some bad news guys.

Remember this scoop? Here is some news on the Brio Diesel.

There are chances that the 1.2L 3-cylinder diesel engine might not make its way to the Brio at all. Primary reason = NVH issues. Honda is extremely concerned about the loud noise (evident in the video on the 1st page of this thread), vibrations inherent to a 3-cylinder in a light car, and what the two would do to Honda's brand name.

Not writing off the possibility of a Brio diesel just yet, but I guess it's critical for engineers to solve the NVH problem if the car is ever to see light of day.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th November 2012, 15:53   #336
Senior - BHPian

If Mahindra can get acceptable refinement in their 3 Cylinder Diesels, then a company like Honda better get that right. I feel this is due to their total lack of expertise when it comes to oil burners. Otherwise, a company like Honda would NEVER take so long to get diesels into a market that has a penchant for the dirtier fuel.
Old 9th November 2012, 15:58   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Got some bad news guys.

Remember this scoop? Here is some news on the Brio Diesel.

There are chances that the 1.2L 3-cylinder diesel engine might not make its way to the Brio at all. Primary reason = NVH issues. Honda is extremely concerned about the loud noise (evident in the video on the 1st page of this thread), vibrations inherent to a 3-cylinder in a light car, and what the two would do to Honda's brand name.

Not writing off the possibility of a Brio diesel just yet, but I guess it's critical for engineers to solve the NVH problem if the car is ever to see light of day.
But, can't they use the 1.5L diesel motor from the sedan? Even that will attract less taxes.
Old 9th November 2012, 16:27   #338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got some bad news guys.
It would be disappointing if this actually happens. If a company like VW doesnt care about NVH for a 1.2 TDI for a 7-8 lac Polo Hatch , i frankly dont think Honda should bother much for a 5-6 lac hatch. If they pull the plug on this they will be losing on volumes big time and the Hyundai would be the happiest for the future i10 diesel .
Old 9th November 2012, 18:46   #339
BHPian

Extract from the latest Honda News -

New Delhi, Nov 9:
Japanese car major Honda today said it will launch its first diesel vehicle in India next fiscal and it will be an entry-level sedan, named Amaze, developed on the platform of its existing small car ‘Brio’.
“The new entry sedan will be called the ‘Amaze’, and will be launched in Thailand and India... The details of the model will be announced later this month in Thailand and next financial year, 2013-14, in India,” Honda Cars India said in a statement.
Asian Honda Motor Co today unveiled the name of the entry-level sedan that will be developed on the platform of Brio, it added.
“In India, the Honda Amaze will be available with a petrol engine and a newly developed diesel engine and will be positioned in the entry-level sedan segment for the Indian market,” the company said.
In Thailand, the model will be equipped with only a petrol engine, it added.
Without sharing details, the company said: “These models will be introduced to the market at affordable prices realised by increasing cost competitiveness through local sourcing and production.”
Honda plans to introduce the Amaze to accommodate the diversifying needs of customers in automobile markets in Asia, where competition is intensifying, it added.
Talking about the model’s features, Honda said: “The car offers amazing power delivery yet with class leading fuel efficiency, while sustaining core Honda values to appeal to the growing base of middle-class customers aspiring to own a Honda Sedan.”
rony180 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2012, 22:27   #340
Distinguished - BHPian

I am happy if they are not launching the 1.2L diesel because of NVH issues. Shows their commitment to quality than dishing out something for the sake to customers in the Indian market unlike some premium brands. From another forum, I read that they could very well use the 1.5L engine in Brio too since it is eligible for excise concessions. Could be another hot hatch in the making!
Old 9th November 2012, 23:27   #341
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I read somewhere that this engine is being developed by ex-F1 engineers & its going to be available in 2 states of tune to power its future models like the City & Brio based MPV.
They should just plonk this engine in the Brio rather than develop an all new engine & also the pricing would be the key!
Old 9th November 2012, 23:49   #342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I am happy if they are not launching the 1.2L diesel because of NVH issues. Shows their commitment to quality than dishing out something for the sake to customers in the Indian market unlike some premium brands. From another forum, I read that they could very well use the 1.5L engine in Brio too since it is eligible for excise concessions. Could be another hot hatch in the making!
+1
The market already has a lot of option to chose from. No point compromising quality while not able to churn out the desired numbers. It will only spoil the brand image which is built over the years.
Old 10th November 2012, 09:41   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS
I read somewhere that this engine is being developed by ex-F1 engineers & its going to be available in 2 states of tune to power its future models like the City & Brio based MPV.
I don't think that Honda retained any F1 engineers or anything related, when they sold the team to Ross Brawn. It could very well be pure sensationalism when reports say that the engine is being developed by ex-F1 engineers.

I really want Honda to succeed in their diesel endeavor, it will also make me happy as a Honda owner.
Old 6th February 2013, 16:33   #344
Senior - BHPian

Recent sightings of the Honda Brio Diesel under test in India:

http://indianautosblog.com/2013/02/h...ed-again-62587

Courtesy IAB & Auto Adrenalin's Facebook page.
Old 6th February 2013, 17:08   #345
Senior - BHPian

Should be challenging to manage the NVH of Brio with diesel owing to its design and construction specially in the engine area. Hope they overcome that.

Most Viewed