Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2012, 09:35   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: *SCOOP* Honda Brio DIESEL caught. EDIT: Only for next-gen Brio in 2017

This could be CVT version as well. Diesel+CVT would be something!
Old 25th May 2012, 09:39   #32
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
This could be CVT version as well. Diesel+CVT would be something!
I will be the first in the queue for the CVT (petrol preferred). Thanks for giving me hope. I did hear some vague rumour that an AT may be coming in the Brio/Jazz by December.

Last edited by sgiitk : 25th May 2012 at 09:59.
Old 25th May 2012, 09:39   #33
BHPian

Well this is great news, thanks for the scoop, now the only aspect of concern is the launch to market, Honda desperately needs an oil burner in the market - I hope they time it sooner than later, this is a good responsive move considering the shift in market dynamics leaning towards oil burners. They are already late - hope they don't delay longer.

On a side topic - considering Honda after sales does not have experience managing diesel engines, I am not sure if I would want to be the first ones trying this out.

Best - ML
Old 25th May 2012, 10:04   #34
BANNED

@Motoringlover; Sorry for the mistake (now corrected) in my post - wrote diesel for CVT which was obvious by the term in parentheses petrol preferred.

I agree that the dealerships may not be adept in handling diesels, but then one can easily expect the engine to last for 100k+ by which time it will probably with its third owner. My problem is that I must have an AT small car (the boss does not drive an MT, and I will also like one) and the options (i10, i20, Dzire) are pretty pathetic.
Old 25th May 2012, 10:12   #35
BHPian

Great scoop!! Really a awesome move by Honda! Brio has been my favourite hatch ever since it was launched. Only hassle was lack of diesel.

I think if it does get launched I'm surely gonna bring it to my stable!

Awesome!
Old 25th May 2012, 10:13   #36
Senior - BHPian

Funny, India gets (if this is true) a small Honda diesel before Europe, a market which Honda is just letting slip away from them, thanks to the lack of a small diesel.
Old 25th May 2012, 10:37   #37
BHPian

Wow that's indeed good news. The missus was smitten by the Brio ever since it was launched and was about to go ahead book it this weekend. Her running isn't high to scare my wallet. With this news maybe I can convince her to wait a bit.
Old 25th May 2012, 10:41   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
According to this video, this car (same number) is on re-test for ARAI mileage and is a petrol. From gaadi.com

Upgraded Honda Brio petrol caught on test - YouTube
Yes indeed - sorry to play spoil-sport but this isnt the diesel Brio. I had caught the same car (reg no 1172) and the i-vtech badge was sitting there at the back. Only a few wires were hanging inside the car and the driver never went over 65km/h - probably doing some fuel economy runs.

More info on this car and the video - EXCLUSIVE VIDEO – Upgraded Brio coming? - Gaadi.com
BunnyPunia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2012, 10:44   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashnerd View Post
Great scoop. Could it be Fiats 1.3L national engine under that hood? Or maybe a Renault? This should get Honda back on the front foot again if they price it sweet.
I don't think they have any agreement with Fiat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post
Yes indeed - sorry to play spoil-sport but this isnt the diesel Brio. I had caught the same car (reg no 1172) and the i-vtech badge was sitting there at the back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I am still not sure if its a diesel. I would have expected Honda to launch it in City first given that a 1.6 litre engine is already in the works.
Reliable sources have confirmed that a Brio diesel is being launched soon. A smoke emitting Petrol Honda Brio is unlikely. I'll give kpzen benefit of doubt as I am sure he can distinguish between a Petrol and Diesel engine sound.
Old 25th May 2012, 10:48   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Reliable sources have confirmed that a Brio diesel is being launched soon.
With due respect to the sources, even a diesel City was coming and then it wasn't coming (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...rs-away-6.html).
It is indeed true that one day, most Honda offerings will have diesel option - no doubt about that. My only point - it might not be so soon. The car I saw clearly had the i-vtec badge. My 2 cents
Old 25th May 2012, 11:08   #41
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Funny, India gets (if this is true) a small Honda diesel before Europe, a market which Honda is just letting slip away from them, thanks to the lack of a small diesel.
I also heard that in 2010 for the first time diesels outsold petrols in Europe. This is a market (except France) where diesel and petrol prices are about the same!
Old 25th May 2012, 11:10   #42
Senior - BHPian

Mod Note : As per the recent mass PM, please do NOT use acronyms when referring to cars. You are ONLY permitted to use the full Make & Model name. Any further usage of acronyms will invite severe Moderator action on your account. Thanks

Last edited by GTO : 25th May 2012 at 11:28. Reason: Refer to Mod Note in your post
Old 25th May 2012, 11:30   #43
Senior - BHPian

@kpzen, how was it holding on to the tarmac on Gurgaon-FBD Road (as it appears from the pic that you have posted)... I mean that this road has few curves & few sections where the there are inclines & declines. Did it (appear to) slow down on the curves or inclines (especially around the area where there are radars set up by the defense forces) & just before the proposed toll plaza when you drive from Gurgaon?
Old 25th May 2012, 11:33   #44
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Super scoop! Honda does have intentions of developing a 1.2L diesel engine, and I'm pretty sure that's the one under the hood of this Brio. A 1.5L mill would be overkill for the li'l hatch, and I doubt the front part of the light Brio monocoque could carry such a large engine too. Then, there is the question of a 1.5L turbo diesel fitting into the engine bay.

The Brio petrol is priced very well. That automatically leaves room for a well-priced diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
Besides in a country like India, where diesel cars account for 60% of all passenger cars
More importantly, if you count cars that offer a diesel engine, the split is more like 75:25 in favour of the diesel variant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
According to this video, this car (same number) is on re-test for ARAI mileage and is a petrol. From gaadi.com
Both are clearly different cars. Plus, Kpzen clearly mentioned hearing diesel clatter as he passed by, and black smoke too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Not so funny if you bring in the i20 that sells more in India than any single European country.
Old 25th May 2012, 11:34   #45
BHPian

Really a great scoop. Since they are testing the diesel engine on Brio, they are really backing this wonderful hatch which would offer total value for money when launched. On my wish list Jazz too should get a diesel engine with AT which will ultimately turn it into a complete package for potential customers.

With petrol price adding more woes i think a petrol head like me would be more than happy to get a diesel car in near future.

Most Viewed