Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2012, 12:57   #61
Team-BHP Support

re: *SCOOP* Honda Brio DIESEL caught. EDIT: Only for next-gen Brio in 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post
Yes indeed - sorry to play spoil-sport but this isnt the diesel Brio. I had caught the same car (reg no 1172) and the i-vtech badge was sitting there at the back.
These plates can be interchanged, basically a set of plates will be with the manufacturer and they can be used on multiple vehicles. Obviously the same number will not be used at the same time on multiple vehicles but definitely can be interchanged. Thats what i know off.

So cant write off the scoop.

KP superb catch and this would be a good competition and a brilliant business plan. Pricing will be the key, but knowing Honda it will be at a premium.
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2012, 13:11   #62
Senior - BHPian

I guess Honda finally understood that if they stick to the "Indian diesel ain't good enough for us" story, they would be history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
I am yet to see a modern diesel, whether its in the liva, or indica, or safari, or xylo, or swift.... which does not emit black smoke when under hard acceration from lowish rpms
Indeed yes. Many years ago I even opened a thread about a Swift-D emitting really dark smoke, but the thread was closed (ironically by you tsk) with the reason that it was speculation based on a one-off observation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987
I sure hope City, Jazz and City don't share the same 1.2 diesel in case that is the one being tested here
Why not ? Since the Brio and Jazz anyway share the same 1.2 litre petrol engine (with a minor change in tuning), they could both have this diesel engine in them.

And if the lowly 1.4litre engine of the Liva can be plonked in the upmarket Corolla and sold at 1.5 million or more, the Brio's diesel mill can be surely plonked in the City too.
It might be a bit of a stretch for the Civic, but most of the diesel-car buyers anyway do not buy diesel for driving pleasure.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 25th May 2012 at 13:13.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2012, 13:21   #63
BHPian

Wow. Great scoop kpzen. I have just got myself a Petrol Brio and looking at this scoop wish the Diesel version could have come earlier!With the recent hike in petrol prices, this should come as a welcome to all those buyers who didn't consider Honda because they only manufacture petrol engines. Its a high time coming( if it actually is) considering all the other major car manufacturers are already into diesel (Toyota,Tata, Hyundai, Maruti etc). The pricing would be something to look out for. Will the Brio diesel be as competitively priced as the petrol? Only time will tell.
Old 25th May 2012, 13:49   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Excellent Scoop Kpzen

I googled and found the specs of Honda Brio Diesel. It is a 1.2 Litre 4 cylinder churning out 70 bhp.
This source seems dubious to me. Honda already have a 1.6, 4 cylinder diesel mill in the works. No 1.2 diesel has been unvieled yet. So what seems to be the easiest is chop off a cylinder and you get a 1.2, 3 cylinder diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images...n%20stupid.gif
Why not ? Since the Brio and Jazz anyway share the same 1.2 litre petrol engine (with a minor change in tuning), they could both have this diesel engine in them.

And if the lowly 1.4litre engine of the Liva can be plonked in the upmarket Corolla and sold at 1.5 million or more, the Brio's diesel mill can be surely plonked in the City too.
It might be a bit of a stretch for the Civic, but most of the diesel-car buyers anyway do not buy diesel for driving pleasure.
They wont have to use a 1.2 in the city, a 1.6 diesel has been unveiled.
Old 25th May 2012, 13:49   #65
Team-BHP Support

What scares me about having a diesel in a Honda is the fact that the cars are a tad overpriced to begin with. And the diesel mill will only push the price-tag further up. That is going to be very disheartening.

The Jazz costs around 7.5-8 lakhs on the road. With a diesel engine, the price may shoot up to 9 lakhs. It may make more sense than the Swift or the i20 at this price point. But that's only to me. What about the hundreds and thousands of people who value features/equipment over refinement and engineering?

The Brio V-MT costs 6.5 lakhs on the road (Bangalore). The diesel V-MT should be not less than 7.5 lakhs, IMO.

Now for a car that appears to be small, and costing 7.5 lakhs is not going to go down too well with the general public. Sure, the Brio has more space than the Swift, but the exterior dimensions would leave several to believe that it's a whole segment below the Swift. And that will most certainly not help their case!

The City's diesel variant won't cost anything less than 11 lakhs and that's or sure. The Civic? I won't be surprised if the OTR price for the top-end diesel Civic is close to 20 lakhs.

Honda will have to think long and hard about the pricing of their diesel cars, lest they make the same mistake of charging a 'premium'.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 25th May 2012 at 13:51.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2012, 14:31   #66
Team-BHP Support

I think this is a great move by Honda, especially since they pin their hope on Brio to be car to bring in volumes. But I hope they don’t cut down on features (especially on safety) to keep the costs down for the diesel variant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I agree. If Honda gets into the diesel space, I guess they mostly will look to have the smaller one shared between Brio, Jazz and City, and the 1.6 for the Civic. An engine which is adequate for the Jazz, should do well in the City as well.

But, I think it’s a bit too early to discuss. We don’t have the engine specs yet right?
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2012, 14:41   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Spotted a similar badgeless white Brio with similar number plate, could not click a photo in the dense traffic. This was at the Park Plaza roundabout.
Old 25th May 2012, 15:34   #68
BHPian

Being a Owner of the Honda city type 2,i can almost say that the honda diesel will be an excellent vehicle.For ownership as well as drivability the honda diesel should be a favourite among the masses.
Honda's history with diesels began in 2003 which powered the civics back then.In that year Honda had developed their first Diesel engine which was a 2.2Liter 4cylinder i-ctdi engine.
And in 2007 honda made some advanced changes to the same engine which had emission performances equivalent to a petrol engine.
Imagine if honda had got those engines down from that year itself they would have had a huge share of the market by now.
I doubt whether Honda will share engines or use engines from another manufacturer.It will or might not feel like Honda.When they do introduce it on the Brio it should be an instant hit.however only if the pricing is right.Currently the same petrol unit of the jazz does duty in the brio.So im suspecting that following the diesel brio launch ,the launch of the diesel jazz shouldnt be too far away.
But then if the Brio and Jazz are launched together then Honda can suddenly get to munch of huge chunks off the market share.
Cross our fingers and lets wait in watch.
Old 25th May 2012, 15:53   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaumad View Post
I am not very sure it is a Diesel engine. Apart from the 1.6L that was announced by Honda recently, there is no official news of a 3rd Diesel engine. So, unless there is an official announcement from Honda about a Diesel Brio, I would not read too much into such roadtests.
Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I am not still not sure about a small diesel. The smallest diesel that Honda has currently is the 1.6 litre engine unveiled at the just concluded Geneva motor show which is expected to come in the City. The new engine is expected to be in use by the end of the year in the new Civic internationally. If they had a smaller engine, I am sure they would have unveiled it too.
Honda unveils 1.6-L diesel motor - News - Autocar India
Rightly said. But, it could very well be a 3 cylinder version of the 1.6 litre version. That would be 1.2 L. It could be used with a normal turbo and VGT to give different states of tune (Brio and Jazz?).

The City will likely get the 1.6 litre version sometime later.
Old 25th May 2012, 15:53   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The Brio V-MT costs 6.5 lakhs on the road (Bangalore). The diesel V-MT should be not less than 7.5 lakhs, IMO.
I checked prices of Figo and Brio VMT. Figo Titaniam Diesel Metalic is ~7.3 OTR Bangalore, and if Brio gets launched in Diesel at 7.5L OTR Bangalore i do not see a significant problem. Although i must add i am not aware of exact specifications on both and haven't done a feature-to-feature comparison.

Do you see that price as a problem? and Why? Asking as i am not aware of prices of all models in this segment.

As someone else stated, at the moment Figo is a very good package when it comes to Diesel, but i would wait for Brio as i have tasted Honda quality and i feel they would do a much better job than other manufacturers.
Old 25th May 2012, 16:13   #71
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful Scoop, I spoke to someone who denies the car even exists but will give you the benefit of doubt.

I would suggest Honda Sort the quality issues of this car and also improve the suspension and ride esp. when tackling speed breakers and figure a way to add a rear defogger and perhaps add the toothpicks to adjust Mirrors in the S variant at least.

Price wise I believe about 50-60k over the similar models is perfectly ok, and maybe they can consider get the CVT also, Petrol or Diesel I don't care.

Coming back to this car, I am not doubting anyone here this maybe a diesel but I am told this is just being tested for annual updates just like how the new City has, Please do read it's only what I am told and nothing more.

Regards,
Old 25th May 2012, 16:20   #72
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 26th May 2012 at 15:12.
punto_ is offline   Received Infraction
Old 25th May 2012, 16:38   #73
Senior - BHPian

He he. We can't confirm if its really true but we are already talking about the prices. But if it is the diesel Brio, then awesome news!

But seriously, it is high time each manufacturer, not just Honda, has a small diesel on their folio. With petrol prices hitting stratosphere, it won't be long before the Beat Diesel will be the #1 selling small hatch!
Old 25th May 2012, 16:41   #74
Senior - BHPian

Ha, all we need now is a diesel variant of i10 and WagonR and most manufacturers can simply shut down their petrol-hatch lines - especially with the recent Rs7.50 hike in petrol prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240
Price wise I believe about 50-60k over the similar models is perfectly ok
You mean the Brio-D being priced 60K more than the Brio-P ? I doubt that. It would be easily a 1-lakh increase over the equivalent petrol version.
Old 25th May 2012, 16:46   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
I checked prices of Figo and Brio VMT. Figo Titaniam Diesel Metalic is ~7.3 OTR Bangalore, and if Brio gets launched in Diesel at 7.5L OTR Bangalore i do not see a significant problem. Although i must add i am not aware of exact specifications on both and haven't done a feature-to-feature comparison.

Do you see that price as a problem? and Why? Asking as i am not aware of prices of all models in this segment.

As someone else stated, at the moment Figo is a very good package when it comes to Diesel, but i would wait for Brio as i have tasted Honda quality and i feel they would do a much better job than other manufacturers.
I've been in Viddy's Figo and trust me, I was actually surprised. It's such a phenomenal product and really worth the money you pay for it. The only problem I see is that it isn't powerful enough. But it still manages 90-110 km/h on the highway, with absolute ease.

Add to that the fact that it comes with some deal-breaking features like a boot that's probably twice its size and some equipment that Honda does not offer. Also, the quality of the interior is top-notch for a car that was subject to cost-cutting.

What works for the Brio is the lower running costs. But one can't comment on that just yet. We don't know what Honda's diesel mill is like. We're yet to see if it breaks Honda tradition of being reliable. But in all probability, they should be good.

Even after-sales-service is subjective. While Honda is pretty good on a large scale, Ford isn't known for its service-backup. That said, they have improved ten-fold in the last few years and are certainly not far behind the big wigs, Maruti, Hyundai and Honda.

Now let's spice things up a bit and bring in the Liva into the equation. More space, bigger boot, bullet-proof reliability, all in the same price-bracket. Check mate? Not quite. The Liva has its draw-backs too. Uninspiring interior on the whole (not that the Brio is great in the first place) and bland looks doesn't help the Liva's cause.

But the Liva is in the same price-bracket as the Brio, so you can't ignore it.

It's going to be tough for Honda to sell the Brio, just looking at the competition. Every car maker has upped their game and have had diesels for a long time in their range. If Honda doesn't play this car well, they're just going to be in the middle of the charts, with one great hit in one decade.

EDIT: I believe Honda would win if they manage to hold a price difference of not more than 50-60k over the petrol variants.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 25th May 2012 at 16:51.
suhaas307 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks