Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2012, 17:00   #76
AWD
BHPian

re: *SCOOP* Honda Brio DIESEL caught. EDIT: Only for next-gen Brio in 2017

Launch could be by 2014 only. For a first off diesel product, Honda should play it safe by offering a proper 4 cyl. engine in Civic, Accord & CRV. Follow up the success with smaller capacity engines in City, Jazz & Brio. Jumping in the arena with a 3cyl. engine might not be the best step to take.
Old 25th May 2012, 17:15   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Launch could be by 2014 only.
ET says diesel Brio launch is in 1st half of 2013. Diesel Jazz probably in Jan 2014. But diesel City will be in Oct 2013. There is also mention of Brio sedan (2TP) again with diesel along with diesel hatchback.

Link: Honda Siel likely to launch diesel cars in early 2013 - The Economic Times
Old 25th May 2012, 17:25   #78
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Launch could be by 2014 only. For a first off diesel product, Honda should play it safe by offering a proper 4 cyl. engine in Civic, Accord & CRV. Follow up the success with smaller capacity engines in City, Jazz & Brio. Jumping in the arena with a 3cyl. engine might not be the best step to take.
As much as we cringe about the lack of power and refinement in 3-pot mills, it's without a doubt that they promise the best FE, and fuel-economy is what this country asks for all the time!

Now, I'd normally agree with you. 3-pot engines lack power, performance and refinement, and they feel like a step backward.

But have a look at the top sellers from Maruti's hatchback segment. The Wagon-R, the Alto K10, etc. They sell like hot cakes.

The 3-cylinder powered Fabias and Polos have done well in our market, despite commanding a premium in maintenance.

Ford's EcoSport is slated to feature the famed EcoBoost engine, which is essentially a 3-pot mill with a turbocharger for that much needed shove.

Agreed, for a petrol engine, naturally-aspirated 3-cylinders may not make sense (other than for economy). The Hyundai Eon for example, would have been better of with the Santro's 1.1 engine. But that would render the Santro useless in Hyundai's portfolio.

But a 3-cylinder diesel shouldn't be a problem, I think. They produce adequate torque for city drives and the occasional long haul.

That said, I'd still prefer Honda to stick with 4-pot mills.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2012, 17:44   #79
BHPian

Great scoop kpzen ! Now this is no more a speculation, Honda has to introduce diesel mil if it has to survive in Indian market. I am pretty sure Brio diesel would hit the road in early 2013.

venks
Old 25th May 2012, 17:45   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
EDIT: I believe Honda would win if they manage to hold a price difference of not more than 50-60k over the petrol variants.
+ 1. The Brio starts at 4 lakhs ex show room i guess and tops up at 5.2 lakhs. If Honda brings 3 versions of the diesel and manages to price the lowest one at 4.6 a mid variant at 5.2 and the top just below 6, it will have a decent shot at success, I guess. After all it will manage to undercut the swift price quite well. More than undercutting the swift, it needs to keep a look at the Jazz pricing if Honda Plans to bring in the Jazz diesel. The Jazz starts at 5.75 and tops up at 6.3 lakhs. Even two models one at 6.5 and other at 7.2-7.4 would be a good proposition. But the moot question is, Will Honda price it that competitively? Or will they just instinctively overprice it as usual? I have a feeling they would nt go wrong on the pricing front as and when they launch the diesel mills.

Ofcourse all this is subject to the mills actual performance and assuming the diesel would be as good as the petrols that we are so used to seeing from Honda. Interesting times ahead for sure.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2012, 18:19   #81
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
ET says diesel Brio launch is in 1st half of 2013. Diesel Jazz probably in Jan 2014. But diesel City will be in Oct 201
That would be pretty quick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
As much as we cringe about the lack of power and refinement in 3-pot mills, it's without a doubt that they promise the best FE, and fuel-economy is what this country asks for all the time! 3-cylinder diesel shouldn't be a problem, I think. They produce adequate torque for city drives and the occasional long haul
I agree a 3-pot motor would be just about ideal for Brio but what I meant with my above statement was that Honda is yet to make a name for itself in India in the Diesel arena. A 3-pot motor to begin with might not give it the right impetus, could be detrimental to later on offerings like Civic/Accord diesel.

From a pure marketing perspective, Honda should first showcase its tech, set an example & like it did with petrols, show the World that its got the best diesel tech. too. Then, go on to offer units with cyls. shaved off.

In case a 3 cyl. engine to begin with does not stand the test of time, Honda will loose its advantage. Other than this particular issue, Im ok.
Old 25th May 2012, 18:25   #82
Senior - BHPian

Considering for a moment that it may be a 1.2l engine, loudly thinking on the options for sourcing such a mill-

1. Remove 1 cylinder from the 1.6 engine to arrive at 1.2l 3 cyl
The question is have they pulled up a quick one already without anybody's notice?

2. Pick up a 1.2 pot from other manufacturers such as Skoda/ VW
Do they have any alliance of any sort with any other manufacturer to talk about in the past?

3. Is it a 1.2l at the first place since most others are bigger (except Beat)
They will have a lot of options to choose from- 1.3 national D / 1.4 D4-D / 1.5 DCi. Again whom will they source it from?
Old 25th May 2012, 18:44   #83
BHPian

So if this is indeed a diesel does that mean Honda Siels Indian engineers were given access to the global 1.6 L diesel and they chopped off a cylinder?

I doubt Honda Japan would do this overnight, i.e; give an "upcoming" international engine to India alone and let it's engineers do the splicing all by themselves (which was the case for the 1.2 petrol)

And Honda is too obsessed with its own engine tech, to go and ask/try out/ink an agreement with either Fiat or GM for a brio with a non honda diesel engine!
Old 25th May 2012, 19:02   #84
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, super Scoop - this one is all over Facebook with several shares!

Finally Honda is getting serious with introducing a Diesel engine powered car for India (they don't have a choice anyways so they have to deliver or perish). What's more interesting is their decision of entering the Diesel market with a hatch/small car segment offering - right where they can hit the other competitors. Just hoping they don't goof up on the Pricing aspect.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2012, 20:00   #85
BHPian

Pricing will definitely be high. Honda has a share of loyal customers. And they will go for diesel even if priced high. Quality control is one of the best in industry. Honda diesel will definitely be a success. It wont swipe the market though..
Old 25th May 2012, 21:30   #86
BHPian

super scoop KP!!

I liked the brio look and feel, if its got diesel and priced correctly I will definitely own one. after the recent price hike, this is the way to survive in the market.

Honda please bring the car ASAP
Old 25th May 2012, 23:40   #87
Senior - BHPian

Brio automatic coming by diwali.

Brio spotted testing by KPzen is indeed a 4 cylinder diesel "below 1.5 litres". Launch in first half of 2013. This engine will make its world debut in India. Not much info available.
sidindica is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th May 2012, 23:48   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Brio automatic coming by diwali.

Brio spotted testing by KPzen is indeed a 4 cylinder diesel "below 1.5 litres". Launch in first half of 2013. This engine will make its world debut in India. Not much info available.
Great info, but can the small-tight engine bay of Brio accommodate a 1.5 diesel? I also think it will make such a small car very 'nose heavy'.
Old 25th May 2012, 23:51   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Great info, but can the small-tight engine bay of Brio accommodate a 1.5 diesel? I also think it will make such a small car very 'nose heavy'.
The final CC is not known or disclosed, therefore have safely written "below 1.5 litres". It can be anything below it. Remember the Indian "small car" taxation structure? diesel=below 1.5 litres and under 4 m for lower excise.
sidindica is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2012, 00:16   #90
Senior - BHPian

Is this confirmed? Would really love it with a CVT for my wife,

Regards,

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Brio automatic coming by diwali

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks