Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2012, 23:17   #106
Team-BHP Support

re: *SCOOP* Honda Brio DIESEL caught. EDIT: Only for next-gen Brio in 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Not sure if you can generalize. When I shifted from Matiz (3 cylinder) to 2nd generation Honda city, I was expecting it to be way ahead in refinement but found out that there want too much difference in terms of noise and vibration levels. In fact Matiz was smoother/quieter at idle! Both engines would become boomy at higher revs. But it could be different with many other 3 potters around (when I drove A-Star automatic, the vibration/imbalance was apparent).
You are right.

I'm not sure of the Matiz I've never driven one. But I have been in several. It doesn't feel too different from my Santro in terms of space to be honest. It was put together well and seemed to age alright.

And I will say that when I was around one, I could have sworn that it was no 3-potter. It's only that I'd remembered reading that particular fact that astonished me!

It seems very refined and clatter-less too.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 26th May 2012 at 23:19.
Old 27th May 2012, 01:47   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by badri View Post
I had owned an Accent CRDi for 5.5 yrs and I can vouch for the fact that the engine gets smoother as the revs build up. It is more noisy at lower rpms but as the revs build up, the sound would be more like a muscle car rather than a clatter. However, the engine would be turbine smooth even when the noise was high. I have seen a lot of people throw comments about how agricultural the accent CRDi engine was. For me it was smooth..so much so that I feel the engines of Vento, Rapid and Innova ( which I own now) are more noisy and crude...
Compare Apples with Apples & Oranges with Oranges.
Or In very simple words, Compare;
-Accent 1.5 CRDi with Old-Verna 1.5 CRDi.
Or
-Polo 1.2 TDi with Vento 1.6 TDi.
Or
-Beat 1.0 TCDi with Swift 1.3 DDiS.

Atleast these directly compared engines works on same piece of technology, so comparison would be much fairer & easier to understand.

Hope you've got what I've tried to explain in my previous post & what I'm trying to explain it here.
Old 27th May 2012, 07:27   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post
Compare Apples with Apples & Oranges with Oranges.
Or In very simple words, Compare;
-Accent 1.5 CRDi with Old-Verna 1.5 CRDi.
Or
-Polo 1.2 TDi with Vento 1.6 TDi.
Or
-Beat 1.0 TCDi with Swift 1.3 DDiS.

Atleast these directly compared engines works on same piece of technology, so comparison would be much fairer & easier to understand.

Hope you've got what I've tried to explain in my previous post & what I'm trying to explain it here.
Small correction, I should be comparing the Accent CRDi with Old Elantra CRDi which is essentially a similar engine with an additional cylinder.. In this case, the Elantra is definitely superior.

I agree with you on the point that I should not be comparing unrelated engines..however I wanted to answer to the statement that the Accent CRDi engine got clattery as revs rise. For me it was the opposite. The engine got better with increased revs and it was never clattery. Unfortunately I have not driven a beat diesel or polo diesel. So, I will reserve my comments to my Accent.

All said and done I'm quite excited about the probability of Honda diesel options coming to India. I hope that they would be class leading ( or at least matching) in terms of refinement,fuel efficiency and reliability.

Last edited by badri : 27th May 2012 at 07:36.
Old 27th May 2012, 15:56   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

A li'l birdie casually mentioned a hush-hush tie-up between Honda and Chevrolet for it's smaller diesel pots a few days back. Could it be that Chevy has lent the Beat's 1.0L XSDE Smartech diesel engine to Honda for the Brio? If that's the case, then I must say the Brio has found a nice little 3-potter for itself.

Nevertheless, excellent scoop Kpzen.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 27th May 2012 at 16:05.
Old 27th May 2012, 16:14   #110
Senior - BHPian

I frankly don't think that i will like a Chevy inside a Honda.I hope if this (brio diesel) is true Honda plonk's in it's own home grown engine.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2012, 04:33   #111
BHPian

Honda is one brand that has struggled to maintain its once rather inviable equity on the india market from being most wanted & very aspirational. Honda suddenly finds itself wanting. Inspite of the attractive portfolio it fails to achive its monthly number jus because they lack a diesel engine. Hopefully with the series of Diesel engine starting from Brio to Civic, it will help Honda regain its market stance.
Old 30th May 2012, 18:53   #112
Senior - BHPian

Brio diesel by Diwali 2012

Here is the link to the article;
Petrol price hike: Honda advances launch of diesel Brio to Diwali 2012 - Business Today
sarathlal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2012, 19:01   #113
BHPian

Awesome scoop! I had driven the Brio few months ago, and i must say the car is pretty nimble in the city. Hope Honda tunes the diesel just like the 1.5Dci or the 1.4 TDCi motor. The only thing the Brio lacks is "Torque".
Old 30th May 2012, 21:49   #114
BHPian

another link to the advance of brio diesel to diwali 2012

Honda to launch diesel Brio by Diwali Photos | Pictures - Yahoo! News India
Old 31st May 2012, 00:01   #115
BHPian

In the link below

There is a auto transmission, looks like a photo and not an artists impression. Its in the Diesel thread discussion, are we looking at a HONDA + DIESEL + AUTO option! God save competition if this is true and more so if this is slated for Diwali release!

Honda, what trick lies in the hat?
Old 31st May 2012, 00:23   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_and_machine View Post
In the link below

There is a auto transmission, looks like a photo and not an artists impression.
These are not the photos of diesel Brio as such but generic photos of the Brio when it was launched in Indonesia/Malaysia etc. Petrol Brio has CVT (abroad) and it may not suit the diesel engine. I feel it will be sometime before they develop an auto box for the small diesel.
Old 31st May 2012, 09:43   #117
BHPian

Honda to launch diesel Brio by Diwali

Honda seems to come to terms that launching diesel models by 2013 will be too late. The pace at which the petrol prices are rising.
The company was initially planning to launch the diesel model by 2013. However, with the increasing demand for diesel cars and the hike in petrol prices, the company is advancing the launch of Honda Brio by Diwali this year.
The order of launch will be:
1. Brio
2. City
3. Jazz

The Civic, Accord & CRV might be on also launched in parallel.

More Details

Mods, please merge post if already exist.
lavish_n is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 10:13   #118
BHPian

Re: Honda to launch diesel Brio by Diwali

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavish_n View Post
Honda seems to come to terms that launching diesel models by 2013 will be too late. The pace at which the petrol prices are rising.
1. Brio
2. City
3. Jazz

Its about time that the Honda guys woke up. I wonder whether they thought about it properly in a board room or whether it was a 'brilliant brainwave' that someone got. My money is on the latter - the boardroom discussion would have yielded positive results five years ago

Back to the topic - other guys better beware - Honda is still a hallowed name in India and is considered more premium than Toyota (my belief - Toyota owners please do not take offense). I just hope they don't price itself silly (Jazz style) and that they have sufficient inventory on stock for the huge demand that will emanate.

I will be a buyer for a City diesel the day its launched!
Old 31st May 2012, 10:32   #119
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Very good news indeed. A diesel Jazz will be really sweet. Again, hoping they don't kill the cars with pricing, especially since the market has no idea about honda diesels.
Old 31st May 2012, 10:42   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavish_n View Post
The company was initially planning to launch the diesel model by 2013. However, with the increasing demand for diesel cars and the hike in petrol prices, the company is advancing the launch of Honda Brio by Diwali this year.
1. Brio
2. City
3. Jazz

More Details

Mods, please merge post if already exist.

The article you've shared is from September 2011 and refers to the Diwali of that very year.
I doubt the launch will be happening anytime before 2013!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks