Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2012, 11:37   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: *SCOOP* Honda Brio DIESEL caught. EDIT: Only for next-gen Brio in 2017

Its great to see Honda testing the diesel Brio. Was long overdue. I can see them coming with a Diesel badged Brio in 8-10 months in a 1.2L avatar followed by a Honda City in a 1.5 L avatar. Will be a killing combination.
Old 25th May 2012, 11:39   #47
Senior - BHPian

This is wonderful scoop. Just last friday a Senior guy from Whitefield Honda came over and i mentioned to him that having two petrol sedans in my garage may start getting painful soon and it would be wonderful if Honda launched a Diesel car and an SUV as well. To which he responded

Sir Brio will come first with Diesel variant and then the other models will be planned. Looking forward towards this launch now.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2012, 11:40   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post
Yes indeed - sorry to play spoil-sport but this isnt the diesel Brio. I had caught the same car (reg no 1172) and the i-vtech badge was sitting there at the back. Only a few wires were hanging inside the car and the driver never went over 65km/h - probably doing some fuel economy runs.

More info on this car and the video - EXCLUSIVE VIDEO – Upgraded Brio coming? - Gaadi.com
The car you saw also had a Honda badge, a brio badge and as you said i-vtec badge.

But this car does not have a single badge.

Also as I said 1172 is not the cars registration number. It is a temporary test plate which is given to a manufacturers. The same number can be attached to many cars. You may also see multiple cars with 1172 registration.

Also, Kpzen drives a diesel Getz so he will know what a diesel engine sounds like when driving next to one with windows down. The black smoke on acceleration is also a give away.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 25th May 2012 at 11:41.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2012, 11:45   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Caught the Brio diesel on Gurgaon road.

Was casually cruising home from office & suddenly a fully debadged BRIO with UP red plates caught my eye.
No badges on the boot, all black rims and no H logo on the front grill.

Slowed down, rolled down my window and let it pass by. Could hear the diesel clatter. Also, observed black smoke during acceleration.

Its 100 % diesel.

Sorry for the horrible mobile pics.

Attachment 931700

Attachment 931701
Hello kpzen, this is my first post on teambhp and it begins with an amazing news about honda small car in diesel i will wait for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
So Honda has finally decided to up it's game. This comes as no surprise as Honda has seen it's market share dwindle by 20% to 30% range over the past year or two. Besides in a country like India, where diesel cars account for 60% of all passenger cars, Honda sales were on a self destruct mode. So, now the speculation, will this be i-DTEC 1.2 liter or 1.4/1.5 liter? If they price it right, it could pose a threat to the King - Swift. I expect it to hit the shelves by end of this year.

Thanks for the scoop!

Cheers!
Rohan
Hi rjalihal, this is very true observation they have very good products and after sales service but lack of diesel was putting them on the back foot now the koreans need to worry about and spruce up their after sales service as good amount of serious competion is heading their way.
Old 25th May 2012, 11:53   #50
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 25th May 2012 at 13:09.
Old 25th May 2012, 12:00   #51
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by mobike008 : 25th May 2012 at 13:49.
Old 25th May 2012, 12:08   #52
BHPian

Superd scoop!!

Ok, Honda is late in entering the diesel segment; but better late than never!!

In fact I feel this could favour Honda better. By the time they launch their diesel version, almost all other OEM's would be choked with diesel orders. A huge demand-supply gap is already foreseen for diesel cars. So when they launch their diesel option, they can be assured of a huge order booking atleast during the initial stages. A huge booking at the launch is the dream for any manufacturer!
Old 25th May 2012, 12:13   #53
Senior - BHPian

Well if Honda launches Brio with diesel mill then this will be the replacement for my WagonR. I am looking for a replacement in couple of years, so still plenty of time for Honda to test and start producing diesel powered Brio.

Other than Brio I will be satisfied only when Honda Launches every model of it's lineup including City/Jazz/Civic/Accord/CRV with a diesel engine.

It's time for Honda to brings a super refined diesel mill which brings the same smile when we floor the pedal of their i-VTEC motors.
Old 25th May 2012, 12:17   #54
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Excellent Scoop Kpzen

Honda would see unseen sales figures if they launch this car and price it sensibly. If it works for the Brio, then Honda can plonk the same engine into the Jazz and all car in the segment i20, Swift, Polo etc., will be in trouble.

I googled and found the specs of Honda Brio Diesel. It is a 1.2 Litre 4 cylinder churning out 70 bhp.

*SCOOP* Honda Brio DIESEL caught. EDIT: Only for next-gen Brio in 2017-honda-brio-specs.jpg

If the specifications are to be beleived, Honda has cut all the safety features in the car and this could help Honda price the car very competitively.

I am not sure how far the source Honda Brio Diesel E, Review, Price, Honda Cars India, Comparison, Images, Variants is authentic.

Last edited by MAS : 25th May 2012 at 12:18.
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2012, 12:21   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I don't think they have any agreement with Fiat.
So is it the case that Honda has developed the diesel engine by itself?
Old 25th May 2012, 12:33   #56
Senior - BHPian

Great news. Would be a nice office going vehicle for sure even if the diesel prices go up. Hope they can keep the price differential to within 1 lakh
Been long time to feel this excited about a car

Last edited by srishiva : 25th May 2012 at 12:34.
Old 25th May 2012, 12:36   #57
Senior - BHPian

I am not still not sure about a small diesel. The smallest diesel that Honda has currently is the 1.6 litre engine unveiled at the just concluded Geneva motor show which is expected to come in the City. The new engine is expected to be in use by the end of the year in the new Civic internationally. If they had a smaller engine, I am sure they would have unveiled it too.
Honda unveils 1.6-L diesel motor - News - Autocar India
Old 25th May 2012, 12:38   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

So finally, we will have a Honda that clatters, vibrates and emits black smoke.
End of an era....of "exclusive" high-revving smoothness.

But good to see that Honda has finally accepted that Indian diesel is good - as good as it gets.
Old 25th May 2012, 12:54   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

Luckily they didn't try to run you over this time. Your Peted 1.5L CRDI Getz would have been no match. :-)
Yeah, there's something between me and the BREEEO.
1st the petrol one and now the diesel.

The diesel was being driven by a normal driver, may be just taking the car from one point to another, whereas, the driver of petrol BRIO was from Honda Factory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
@kpzen, how was it holding on to the tarmac on Gurgaon-FBD Road (as it appears from the pic that you have posted)... I mean that this road has few curves & few sections where the there are inclines & declines. Did it (appear to) slow down on the curves or inclines (especially around the area where there are radars set up by the defense forces) & just before the proposed toll plaza when you drive from Gurgaon?
Can't comment on that.
It didn't seem like the driver was testing something specifically.

Last edited by kpzen : 25th May 2012 at 12:56.
Old 25th May 2012, 12:54   #60
BHPian

I am not very sure it is a Diesel engine. Apart from the 1.6L that was announced by Honda recently, there is no official news of a 3rd Diesel engine. So, unless there is an official announcement from Honda about a Diesel Brio, I would not read too much into such roadtests.

Most Viewed