Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2012, 10:21   #181
Senior - BHPian

re: *SCOOP* Honda Brio DIESEL caught. EDIT: Only for next-gen Brio in 2017

The good thing is that Honda have finally come to grips with India's very skewed reality where diesel costs half the price of petrol and pushes diesel cars at a crazy rate. Am looking forward to Honda improving sales and regaining their rightful place in the Indian market.

If this engine is powerful enough I really hope they can put it into the Jazz and revitalise it's sales. That is for me the best car available under 10 lakhs in the market.
Old 15th June 2012, 17:18   #182
BHPian

Nice catch Prajesh!

Actually, a known source has confirmed that the diesel would be plonked into a SEDAN to be derived out of BRIO and this sedan shall possibly hit the roads by Dec 2012 ! Some concrete info is also available but is shhh.. for the time being.

Last edited by breezydrive : 15th June 2012 at 17:20.
breezydrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2012, 18:33   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
Nice catch Prajesh!

Actually, a known source has confirmed that the diesel would be plonked into a SEDAN to be derived out of BRIO and this sedan shall possibly hit the roads by Dec 2012 ! Some concrete info is also available but is shhh.. for the time being.

Diesel sedan based on the brio? And that too by december 2012? What will happen to the Jazz then? They cant price this sedan more than the jazz as it will compete with the city then. They will have to price it at par with the Jazz which may lead to cannibalization of the Jazz itself. Come on Honda, what do you have in your mind?
As an afterthought though, how come we have seen any test mules of the sedan yet?
Old 15th June 2012, 19:12   #184
Senior - BHPian

In world market also, Honda doesn't have anything in between Jazz and City.
And Jazz was their youngest boy until Brio came.

If its an altogether new vehicle, they need to test them somewhere no. If, infact something like this is coming and the 'world' didn't know, then need to appreciate their efforts .

But personally, I don't want something in between their current line up. They can bring in the Odyssey if they want :P
Old 15th June 2012, 20:56   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
As an afterthought though, how come we have seen any test mules of the sedan yet?
Somehow we have never seen Honda test mules till very close to launch time. Its either that they get their data spot on via simulation and not much road testing necessary or they do it when everyone is sleeping
Old 19th June 2012, 19:56   #186
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The 1st time a Brio Diesel is caught on VIDEO!

Spotted this UP-16-TC-1172 plate Brio on Marine Drive this evening. The number rang a bell from KPZen's thread, and I immediately noticed that there were no "H" badges. The brain is racing and there are only two words ringing aloud "BRIO DIESEL"

I ask the unsuspecting driver with my video camera running. The dude of course denies it, but my camera keeps running . Poor chap was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic and could do absolutely nothing, even though he saw the smartphone pointing at his bonnet.

High Points:

- Quite a contrast between the diesel clatter & my Civic's sports exhaust. Please focus on the clatter in the video

- Especially pay attention from the 24-second point onward

- The car was rather loud and clatter was too obvious. This, and the car that KPZen spotted, is 100% diesel. I heard it revving 5 - 6 times in traffic.

- He tried to run away once, and the Brio diesel felt really sprightly. Definitely has great pickup.

- Yes, there was noticeable smoke under hard acceleration.

If Honda were testing a regular plate Brio with full badges et al, I wouldn't even have noticed. The fact that they tried too hard to hide gave them away.

*SCOOP* Honda Brio DIESEL caught. EDIT: Only for next-gen Brio in 2017-20120619-17.46.45-medium.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 19th June 2012 at 20:14.
GTO is offline   (57) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 20:07   #187
Senior - BHPian

That sure as hell sounded like a diesel. The clatter is way to obvious . This car has the potential to change the market in the segment where it operates.
Old 19th June 2012, 20:08   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO

- Quite a contrast between the diesel clatter & my Civic's sports exhaust. Please focus on the clatter in the video

- Especially pay attention from the 24-second point onward

- The car was rather loud and clatter was too obvious. This, and the car that KPZen spotted, is 100% diesel. I heard it revving 5 - 6 times in traffic.
Super catch!

Sincerely hope they intend some serious amounts of damping for the production version, cos that sounded like the last gen Tavera engine!! With recent doubts raised by some owners on the build quality of the Brio, wouldn't want it turning into a rattle trap over time
Old 19th June 2012, 20:12   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Great Pick GTO, This is indeed a diesel Brio.

So now there are no ifs and no buts - sirf Honda Brio Diesel in the hut!

The clatter is bit on higher side when compared to i20, it's more like Fabia diesel.

This car is a definitive replacement for my WagonR in coming times, just praying that Honda prices it well.

Thanks

Last edited by bluevolt : 19th June 2012 at 20:14.
Old 19th June 2012, 20:15   #190
Senior - BHPian

Brio diesel, good one. Will it be in time for the extra tax proposed by our government? Or maybe in time for the diesel subsidy to be removed?

to be honest (and blunt), I dont really care for that now. My question is if there will be a Jazz diesel too.
Old 19th June 2012, 21:59   #191
BHPian

Very strange clutter sound; I have a feeling that it's not the FIAT MJD diesel engine. any guesses on whose diesel engine it might be ?
Old 19th June 2012, 21:59   #192
BHPian

A Jazz diesel is said to be in the pipeline but I doubt it comes out anywhere in the near future.

This is still a fantastic capture!

Could be a total game changer in the market. In my experience, I've had some of the best A.S.S from Honda and our Honda City was a total dream. Can't wait for this to pan out! Time to start saving up
Old 19th June 2012, 22:23   #193
BHPian

really a great catch GTO ! i second bluevolt for the engine clatter to be Fabia like . As like every body i would like to see Jazz first in Diesel Avatar . The Finishing touch to the video is what i liked most "100% Diesel" !! Is it your voice GTO ?!
Old 19th June 2012, 22:51   #194
Team-BHP Support

Finally all speculations laid to rest. Thanks GTO and thanks to Kpzen who first caught the car and got us aware of it.

It's a pretty noisy diesel and not like the modern ones from Hyundai et al. Sounds like a Figo clatter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnana View Post
"100% Diesel" !! Is it your voice GTO ?!
Oh that's GTO alright.
Old 19th June 2012, 22:52   #195
BHPian

This diesel clatter is just like the one on the beat diesel.

Most Viewed