Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2012, 22:56   #196
BHPian

re: *SCOOP* Honda Brio DIESEL caught. EDIT: Only for next-gen Brio in 2017

Awesome catch GTO. Just after the discussion of the Brio Diesel at the Mega-Meet on Saturday.

What was the first impression ? Was it louder compared to other hatches in the segment ? Did the engine sound peppy ?

Just can't wait to see this getting launched. It will be interesting to see how it gets priced.

If Honda manages to price it well, it could result in the competition sweating. If its a 1.2 / 1.3 L diesel engine and priced somewhere near Chevrolet Beat D / Ritz D, it may do wonders to Honda's fortunes in India in the hatchback segment.

Currently the difference in pricing between Beat 1.2 petrol and Brio 1.2 is hardly 30k - 50k across variants.

Difference between Ritz petrol and Brio is roughly 15k - 20k

Will Honda be able to re-create the magic of late 1990's, early 2000's when it first launched the City in India ? Fingers crossed.
Old 19th June 2012, 23:42   #197
Senior - BHPian

I saw one toaday at Dwarka too. No badges whatsoever, steel wheels and red plates (and it was red in color too. I think "habanero red" is the terminology used by Honda). Could not listen to the diesel clatter as I was being closely followed by a 10000 year old jeep

Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 23:53   #198
Team-BHP Support

What was desperately needed was a video of the Brio Diesel and its engine-clatter. And we've got just that! Are we lucky or what!

This could just be the scoop of the year!

I don't think we should be worried about the 'excessive' clatter from the motor. Perhaps Honda hasn't addressed the NVH levels yet and are just testing the engines for the time being. The launch is still at least 6 months away.

I wonder how they are going to distinguish the diesel Brio from it's petrol sibling. A different grill up front maybe? Or just some badge-work? Hmmm..

Great stuff Rush! *thumbs up*

Last edited by suhaas307 : 20th June 2012 at 00:22.
Old 20th June 2012, 00:10   #199
Senior - BHPian

Great scoop GTO!

The diesel engine sounds very crude in an old school way. Any chance its a 3 cylinder engine ? That clatter so reminds me of my Polo tdi. Once its launched, the Ritz, Beat and to an extent the Swift will see a dent in sales i guess.

I hope Honda gets it as soon as possible, before the ridiculous tax on diesel cars is imposed.
Old 20th June 2012, 00:15   #200
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Excellent catch GTO.

The engine sounds very crude and not too refined. May be the driver was trying hard to get away from your hawk eyes. I just hope that Brio is able to take the harsh vibrations of the oil burner.
Old 20th June 2012, 04:30   #201
BHPian

This is like finding kryptonite!! Great catch GTO..
Now am more confused, was just pondering whether to go for Brio or the 'Why so serious?' Jazz.. Sometimes less choice is a good thing after all.. but ofcourse lot of shoppers like me are sitting on the wall, thanks to Mr.Jaipal Reddy..
Fellows any inside info on the launch date yet..??
Old 20th June 2012, 09:00   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The 1st time a Brio Diesel is caught on VIDEO!
If Honda were testing a regular plate Brio with full badges et al, I wouldn't even have noticed. The fact that they tried too hard to hide gave them away.
Maybe I am being cynical, but maybe Honda's marketing department actually wanted the test mule to be scooped. Free publicity from enthusiasts - I am sure they know that non-petrolhead janta will come to us for car news, advice, opinions, etc.

When I think of a diesel Honda Brio, I am thinking "death knell for Ford Figo".

Also, the high degree of clatter could mean that Honda has taken their new 1.6 diesel mill, chopped off one cylinder and bored it out to make it a 3-pot 1.3?

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 20th June 2012 at 09:03. Reason: added text
Old 20th June 2012, 09:12   #203
BHPian

Whatever it is. If Honda is looking the diesel way then the City and Jazz should be put up for offer along with the Brio. They are going to storm all segments if they do that. My next upgrade would most likely be the Jazz and if the price difference is not shocking I will go for the Jazz diesel.
Wait this is going too far. Lets just wait and watch what Honda is upto
Old 20th June 2012, 09:57   #204
BHPian

Super scoop GTO sir. It is a diesel and sounds like one. I am surprised that Brio is being tested far from its factory in UP. Or they drove it to Mumbai all the way. Would have gone unnoticed on the highways. Perhaps that would be an average check as well because if they are launching a diesel to match what the Beat diesel claims , Chevy better watch out and same with the others. Honda is very very late with a diesel but all the same they will make a dent in the market share of the current diesel hatch folk. Awaiting to hear of its launch soon. Thanks a ton for sharing.
Old 20th June 2012, 10:06   #205
BANNED

Quote:

Spotted this UP-16-TC-1172 plate Brio on Marine Drive this evening. The number rang a bell from KPZen's thread, and I immediately noticed that there were no "H" badges. The brain is racing and there are only two words ringing aloud "BRIO DIESEL"

We get to hear GTO's voice, 100% DIESEL

A very nice catch there. So the Brio Diesel talks now stands Vindicated
Old 20th June 2012, 10:27   #206
BHPian

That indeed is a great video scoop! Thanks GTO.
Reconfirms, Honda is finally learning their lessons !
Waiting to see what power this car would have !
Old 20th June 2012, 10:39   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Spotted this UP-16-TC-1172 plate Brio on Marine Drive this evening. The number rang a bell from KPZen's thread, and I immediately noticed that there were no "H" badges. The brain is racing and there are only two words ringing aloud "BRIO DIESEL"
Nice catch there GTO! The sound in the video proves it is indeed the Diesel version under test. Honda seems to have spread out the test cars everywhere, i spotted another test car last week, apart from this one i posted earlier: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post2798025
Old 20th June 2012, 10:40   #208
Senior - BHPian

200% diesel . Brio petrol is so quiet from outside compared to even other small petrol cars. BTW Brio diesel seem to be fairly noisy, possibly due to being a 3 potter?
Old 20th June 2012, 11:28   #209
Senior - BHPian

Great catch GTO ! Honda has kept the secret pretty well about the engine ! I may have guessed the engine to be 1 litre multijet ( based on the clatter ) . But GTO says its a responsive engine , so I guess its something else .
Old 20th June 2012, 12:38   #210
BHPian

Good Scoop. Now this is going to bring in fight to the Maruti Swifts and Ritzs. Till now there was no real pressure on Maruti, but a Honda diesel will set the cat amongst the pigeons.

Most Viewed