Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2012, 22:05   #301
Senior - BHPian

re: *SCOOP* Honda Brio DIESEL caught. EDIT: Only for next-gen Brio in 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992 View Post
Yes, hope it's as peppy as the MJD and Figo's TDCI. The acceleration is quite good ,my Santro couldn't keep up with it !
I wanted to find out how fast and peppy the Diesel Brio is, but unfortunately the driver played a spoilsport and ducked into traffic and ran away
But the stamp on the accelerator he did resulted in a surge (in engine roar) and the car din't quite surge ahead like it sounded. Reminded the Punto MJD, where a stomp of the accelerator in the 1st gear does nothing to the speed of the car, but increases sound only.
Old 14th August 2012, 22:15   #302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
But the stamp on the accelerator he did resulted in a surge (in engine roar) and the car din't quite surge ahead like it sounded. Reminded the Punto MJD, where a stomp of the accelerator in the 1st gear does nothing to the speed of the car, but increases sound only.
That's the problem with most diesels. Only petrol cars rocket up when you step down in the first gear. But, in diesels, you can enjoy that kind of acceleration in 2nd gear. For instance, Figo diesel's 2nd gear acceleration is MIND BLOWING.
The one i drove had K&N filter in it, not sure about Figos without K&N filter. Guess, there wouldn't be much difference.

My guesses are that Honda will tune the engine in such a way that both Performance and mileage aren't compromised, just like the Swift's MJD!
Old 22nd August 2012, 17:10   #303
Senior - BHPian

Spotted again : Unlike the 1st time, cars are now bruised and battered all around.
Two of them together.

*SCOOP* Honda Brio DIESEL caught. EDIT: Only for next-gen Brio in 2017-imag0372.jpg

*SCOOP* Honda Brio DIESEL caught. EDIT: Only for next-gen Brio in 2017-imag0371.jpg

Last edited by kpzen : 22nd August 2012 at 17:11.
kpzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2012, 09:29   #304
BANNED

Read somewhere that the Petrol AT will be officially announced / released in October. Waiting for the specs!!
Old 10th September 2012, 14:17   #305
Senior - BHPian

I think, I saw the AT version test car today but couldn't click as i got stuck in a slow moving toll lane.
There were 3 Brios, camouflaged partially with all badges stripped off.
Two of them had the typical crdi motor noise and the 3rd one was silent as a petrol honda.
kpzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2012, 17:27   #306
Senior - BHPian

Saw two silver diesel Brios early in the morning today, in Gurgaon (Udyog Vihar). Was at a roadside vendor for tea & due to the rush of factory workers in that area, the cars were caught up. Didn't have my cell on me (forgot it in my car) to click any pics.

The windows of one of them (the one in front of me; the other was ahead) were rolled down & I was able to speak with the "boy" behind the wheel. It was most definitely a diesel & this time it wasn't as noisy. That boy looked like he had simply been hired to drive the car around & had no knowledge except "swift jaisa engine hai". Could it be another incarnation of the MJD? I don't know if he said this to dodge my questions or if it's really true or what. Just thought I would share here.

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 10th September 2012 at 17:29.
blackfire_9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2012, 09:58   #307
BHPian

WardsAuto of America speculates 1.2 ad 1.4 L capacity for Honda India diesels. Possibly from FIAT or Maruti.

Quote:
Honda’s new strategy for India depends on its ability to develop 1.2L and 1.4L diesel engines, possibly buying them from Fiat or Maruti Suzuki for the short term.
Source:http://wardsauto.com/management-amp-...comeback-india
sarthakgupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2012, 12:39   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarthakgupta View Post
WardsAuto of America speculates 1.2 ad 1.4 L capacity for Honda India diesels. Possibly from FIAT or Maruti.
I guess this is what was speculated elsewhere as well initially, but there aren't much details to validate the same & we need to wait for the launch.
Old 13th September 2012, 12:53   #309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarthakgupta View Post

Source:http://wardsauto.com/management-amp-...comeback-india
Why Maruti? I don't think they make any diesel engines, but procure diesel engines from Fiat.
So FIAT engines will now find home behind the straight H logo, nice.
Old 14th September 2012, 02:22   #310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry

Why Maruti? I don't think they make any diesel engines, but procure diesel engines from Fiat.
So FIAT engines will now find home behind the straight H logo, nice.
Maruti does manufacture 1.3 DDiS under license agreement from Fiat (specific no. of copies though). Moreover, Fiat provides the same engine to Maruti for any of its need above the agreement via Fiat's JV with Tata.

However, what I don't understand is, How Maruti will be able to sell diesel engine to Honda? They can't make enough copies for their models at all. I will say this is more of a speculation.

Last edited by Nitrous Power : 14th September 2012 at 02:25.
Old 14th September 2012, 11:23   #311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
Maruti does manufacture 1.3 DDiS under license agreement from Fiat (specific no. of copies though). Moreover, Fiat provides the same engine to Maruti for any of its need above the agreement via Fiat's JV with Tata.

However, what I don't understand is, How Maruti will be able to sell diesel engine to Honda? They can't make enough copies for their models at all. I will say this is more of a speculation.
On the contrary, I believe Honda either got into arrangement (like Maruti Suzuki) to procure MJDs from Fiat India, or got the licence for Fiat MJD which they have plonked into the Brio.

Their Earth Dreams 1.6L Diesel is yet not ready, how on earth they could have developed a small diesel (derivative of 1.6L 4-Cylinder diesel) for the Brio before the Civic, which they are testing.
Old 14th September 2012, 11:50   #312
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
On the contrary, I believe Honda either got into arrangement (like Maruti Suzuki) to procure MJDs from Fiat India, or got the licence for Fiat MJD which they have plonked into the Brio....
If this had happened, there would have been enough publicity in the papers right? We duly got to know everything about Maruti buying the 1.3 & later signing in for the 1.6MJD thru papers.
Old 14th September 2012, 12:20   #313
Senior - BHPian

+1, I think there would have been some news in the media, had Honda been using the 1.3 MJD.

By the way, when did Maruti sign up for the 1.6 MJD? Is it for the SX4? If yes, then this must be the 1.6 liter MJD-2 because the international markets already see Suzuki using Ford's 1.6 TDCi as DDiS in their SX4, which is another great oil burner & it's all-aluminium (Source: Google).

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
If this had happened, there would have been enough publicity in the papers right? We duly got to know everything about Maruti buying the 1.3 & later signing in for the 1.6MJD thru papers.
Old 14th September 2012, 22:17   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP

On the contrary, I believe Honda either got into arrangement (like Maruti Suzuki) to procure MJDs from Fiat India, or got the licence for Fiat MJD which they have plonked into the Brio.

Their Earth Dreams 1.6L Diesel is yet not ready, how on earth they could have developed a small diesel (derivative of 1.6L 4-Cylinder diesel) for the Brio before the Civic, which they are testing.
Please go thru the quote that I replied on. It's talking about Honda getting 1.3 NJD from Maruti/Fiat. What I meant was Maruti can not provide 1.3 MJD to Honda as it is not their proprietary engine. It has to be Fiat that can provide 1.3 MJD to Honda.
Old 15th September 2012, 00:05   #315
Senior - BHPian

Could this be an engine from Peugeot or other compact diesel makers?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks