Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your line of thought?
It's worth waiting in queue to fill up on the eve of a fuel price hike 35 5.80%
The saving is too negligible considering the effort, time etc. It's not worth it 568 94.20%
Voters: 603. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2012, 21:15   #136

Re: Ridiculous! Waiting in a petrol pump queue on the eve of a price hike

I voted for the second option. The value of my time and effort involved in waiting in such a long queue is more than the savings I would make.
Old 31st May 2012, 00:40   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suess View Post
Hi Rock n Rollz, what is that 8 in your calculations? You won 8 cars? or you did 8 full tanks in 8 hours?
I think this was obvious but yes it was 8 hours?
Quote:
That's Civic owner has to have his civic seized! After owning some 15lacs Rs car he is still cheap! and that cheap attitude what is the cause of all evils or most of the evils prevailing in our society. That "money is eveything" attitude! I am sure his driver must be thinking "what a loser sirrrr"!
I think those comments are uncalled for. Owning a 15 lac car does not mean one should stop saving money. If the only aim in life is to own a Civic, then I am speechless.

I still fail to see whats wrong in people trying to save money? What you think as cheap, some people (including me) see as "rational utilization of resources". By the way I have seen this Civic owner colleague right from his Zen days. He has always used his money and time judiciously. I am sure and I wish he upgrades to an Accord in a year or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Mind sharing what is this calculation of 200*8?? I failed to understand that. Did you went to petrol bunk 8 times, emptied the tank at home and refilled? Please enlighten about this calculation.
Now that we have two friends curious about that calculation here it goes. This is my way of finding the worth of my time. Please note that this is just a thumb rule.

So if my monthly take home salary is 60000 Indian National Rupee (INR). That means my projected earning potential for a day is INR 60000 / 30 days = INR 2000 (per day). A day = 8 working hours here. So that means I would make INR 2000 / 8 hours = INR 250 in an hour. So if I get a chance to save/earn, on an average anything >INR 250 by spending upto 1 hour of my time, I am generally game for it. e.g. DIY jobs like removing sunfilms (cheap?? yeah). Like I said this is just a thumb rule. And common sense, emotions, brain etc do overrule such decisions time and again.

I hope I have made myself clear this time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
And about point 2, I've the same question, if someone doesn't have anything else to do then does that mean that he/she should go and create traffic jams all over the city by causing immense inconvenience to others?
Did I ever say that one should park his/her car bang in the middle of the intersection and create traffic jams if they do not have anything better to do? Please read the post thoroughly before making assumptions.

Sorry guys. I know where you all are coming from but to ridicule people for trying to save money does not fly with me. I work really hard to earn/save money in a legal way so that I can spend it on my car/family/charitable activities I support .

Last edited by Rock 'n' rollz : 31st May 2012 at 00:45.
Old 31st May 2012, 12:05   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock 'n' rollz View Post
So if my monthly take home salary is 60000 Indian National Rupee (INR). That means my projected earning potential for a day is INR 60000 / 30 days = INR 2000 (per day). A day = 8 working hours here. So that means I would make INR 2000 / 8 hours = INR 250 in an hour. So if I get a chance to save/earn, on an average anything >INR 250 by spending upto 1 hour of my time, I am generally game for it
That is one way of looking at it.
Another way is, so does it mean that 1 hour in your life just costs Rs 250/-

It would depend right ? , if that 1 hour was spent with your family going somewhere/ Socializing / having a beer with your friends/family or anything else. It would be worth more than Rs 250/-.

Again when I say You , I don't mean "you". But the principle that we are talking about which applies to everyone.

Last edited by Fillmore : 31st May 2012 at 12:09.
Old 31st May 2012, 15:34   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock 'n' rollz View Post
I think this was obvious but yes it was 8 hours?

I think those comments are uncalled for. Owning a 15 lac car does not mean one should stop saving money. If the only aim in life is to own a Civic, then I am speechless.

I still fail to see whats wrong in people trying to save money? What you think as cheap, some people (including me) see as "rational utilization of resources". By the way I have seen this Civic owner colleague right from his Zen days. He has always used his money and time judiciously. I am sure and I wish he upgrades to an Accord in a year or two.

Now that we have two friends curious about that calculation here it goes. This is my way of finding the worth of my time. Please note that this is just a thumb rule.

So if my monthly take home salary is 60000 Indian National Rupee (INR). That means my projected earning potential for a day is INR 60000 / 30 days = INR 2000 (per day). A day = 8 working hours here. So that means I would make INR 2000 / 8 hours = INR 250 in an hour. So if I get a chance to save/earn, on an average anything >INR 250 by spending upto 1 hour of my time, I am generally game for it. e.g. DIY jobs like removing sunfilms (cheap?? yeah). Like I said this is just a thumb rule. And common sense, emotions, brain etc do overrule such decisions time and again.

I hope I have made myself clear this time around.

Did I ever say that one should park his/her car bang in the middle of the intersection and create traffic jams if they do not have anything better to do? Please read the post thoroughly before making assumptions.

Sorry guys. I know where you all are coming from but to ridicule people for trying to save money does not fly with me. I work really hard to earn/save money in a legal way so that I can spend it on my car/family/charitable activities I support .
Two things:

1. No one is against saving money here.
2. We are not discussing about "should we save money by doing this/that or not?

By going your 8 working hours per day logic should we conclude that if one save 10Rs in ebay auction in a fraction of second he would become Millionaire by the end of the day!

See, that's the whole point these 300Rs saved by Civic owner(just for an example, I perosnally have nothing against him) are rare occurance in lifetime so, I am sure it wouldn't change anything in his life/goals etc. But if we all thinks like him and go line up on bunks before each hike we are just becoming part of the chaos ensuing(people getting hurt in fights, due to fuel shortage and in traffic jams) and in fact starting the chaos.

Last edited by Suess : 31st May 2012 at 15:51.
Old 31st May 2012, 17:54   #140
BHPian

So as the price going to reduce by 1.60 effective tonight, so are we going to expect some queues on petrol pump to get some costly fuel this time :-)
sam003 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 18:09   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

I can't help but laugh at people who do this. How much do they think they will save? It's only a matter of time before they run out of fuel and queue up for petrol at the new revised prices! Getting used to it is the best policy. Is this a particularly Indian phenomenon? Prices abroad keep fluctuating up and down multiple times a month and you don't see queues like the ones you see here.

Cheers!
Old 31st May 2012, 18:20   #142
BHPian

I am surprised there are 24 t-bhpians who voted for option 1. No offences meant against the whatever saving is achieved but, to me it seems fairly illogical. Now with the price cut, people would be calculating how much did they "really" saved, right?
Old 31st May 2012, 18:28   #143
BHPian

Fortunately the tanks of both my cars were near empty and the fuel pump near my home did not have a long Q.

Happy that I and my wife rushed to the pump as soon as I read a tweet of petrol price hike :-).
Old 31st May 2012, 18:39   #144
Senior - BHPian

Rush to the petrol pumps as The price of petrol has been slashed by Rs 1.60. You never know when they will increase it again.

I am really fed up of all this drama going on in the country with respect to petrol prices. Lakhs/Crores of rupees are wasted by burning buses, rallies etc and what we get is just a 1.50 rupee deduction.

PS - I have a good idea, Why don't the petrol pump guys gives a ALPENLIEBE TOFFEE free with every one liter of petrol? Kum se kum Bacche toh Khush ho jayengey!

Last edited by bluevolt : 31st May 2012 at 18:42.
Old 31st May 2012, 19:00   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
I am surprised there are 24 t-bhpians who voted for option 1. No offences meant against the whatever saving is achieved but, to me it seems fairly illogical. Now with the price cut, people would be calculating how much did they "really" saved, right?
I suppose all the people who voted for option 2 doesn't shop at Margin Free/Big Bazaar/More/Similar shops with low prices/offers and instead do all their regular shopping at exclusive lifestyle stores to avoid the rush, the queue and save some time. In my experience i found that discount stores are usually crowded during non office hours and there's a even long queue of vehicles for parking too.

We shop from such stores trying to save some $.$, and i try to save some occasional $ at fuel stations in price hike scenarios too if possible, but not at the expense of other important things.

This is not a reply to your post Figopian, just used your quote thats all.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 20:16   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The scene is typical at any petrol-pump the minute a fuel price hike is announced.

Honestly, I find the habit plain ridiculous.
Agree with you. Funnier thing is i have seen people travel around 15KM to get tank filled. That is almost like 100 RS of petrol and still bad part is after this travelling the fuel station guy says no stock.
Old 31st May 2012, 21:10   #147
Senior - BHPian

I followed the herd mentality .... on this poll that is

Voted for option 2.

More than the idling, the cussing, wastage of time et all, what scares me is the possibility of a little fender bender whilst trying to cut off some fool who was trying to cut ahead of you in that looonnggg serpentine queue. Sheer chaos.

Check out the pic posted by GTO in the opening post. How close is that Accord to the Alto right ahead? Shame on him.

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 31st May 2012 at 21:13.
Old 31st May 2012, 23:58   #148
BHPian

It is amusing to see people being so silly. But there is a real issue here too: someone who genuinely requires fuel on the fateful day (not seeking to only save 50 bucks) really ends up harassed. Feel sorry for them! Why, it could happen to any of us some other day, god forbid!
Old 1st June 2012, 00:12   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi413 View Post
It is amusing to see people being so silly. But there is a real issue here too: someone who genuinely requires fuel on the fateful day (not seeking to only save 50 bucks) really ends up harassed. Feel sorry for them! Why, it could happen to any of us some other day, god forbid!
Happened to me on that day. Had run on my Yamaha (reserve ~1.5 lts?) for over 50 KM on reserve, when I saw crowds and had risked not filling for the hate of queue and crowds.

Whether option 1 or 2 is more contextual, depends on the need, priority, mood and options available. (For e.g. I would fill up, if a pump I trust is free, on the way that day and me having time and mood. But such would be too rare :-) ).
Old 1st June 2012, 00:17   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Another way is, so does it mean that 1 hour in your life just costs Rs 250/-
I was talking about calculating someone's hourly earning potential. Did I talk about putting someone's life on line for INR 250?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
It would depend right ? , if that 1 hour was spent with your family going somewhere/ Socializing / having a beer with your friends/family or anything else. It would be worth more than Rs 250/-.
Please read my earlier post. (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2791684)

Quote:
By going your 8 working hours per day logic should we conclude that if one save 10Rs in ebay auction in a fraction of second he would become Millionaire by the end of the day!
I think my logic works the other way, by calculating worth of one's time. If one's earning potential for fraction of second is less than 10 INR, then its a lucrative deal in my opinion. It won't make the person millionaire, but that's not the intention anyway. Intention is to beat one's earning potential/unit of time. I could earn more bucks by removing sunfilms from multiple cars but that is not my core competency. So I'll be more than happy, if I can save sunfilm removal charges for myself and stick to my day job.

Quote:
See, that's the whole point these 300Rs saved by Civic owner(just for an example, I perosnally have nothing against him) are rare occurance in lifetime so, I am sure it wouldn't change anything in his life/goals etc.
If you keep an eye out for such opportunities, you'll see many around.

Like I said before, people who want to save money line up at the bunk. Others who feel the saving is not worth their time, try to reach home early to spend time with their loved ones. Both are justified in their own ways. And we should respect each other than laughing at each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I suppose all the people who voted for option 2 doesn't shop at Margin Free/Big Bazaar/More/Similar shops with low prices/offers and instead do all their regular shopping at exclusive lifestyle stores to avoid the rush, the queue and save some time. In my experience i found that discount stores are usually crowded during non office hours and there's a even long queue of vehicles for parking too.

We shop from such stores trying to save some $.$, and i try to save some occasional $ at fuel stations in price hike scenarios too if possible, but not at the expense of other important things.
Spot on sir. I save a lot of money by recycling plastic bags. Its green too.

And for all those who think that its an Indian mentality please visit GasBuddy.com - Find Low Gas Prices in the USA and Canada ("Consumers working together to save on gas"). The reason there are no queues in other parts of the world might be something to do with better infrastructure and population density.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks