Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your line of thought?
It's worth waiting in queue to fill up on the eve of a fuel price hike 35 5.80%
The saving is too negligible considering the effort, time etc. It's not worth it 568 94.20%
Voters: 603. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2012, 00:58   #166
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ridiculous! Waiting in a petrol pump queue on the eve of a price hike

Today post the announcement that petrol prices were dropping from midnight the opposite effect would have been seen and cars would have been avoiding petrol pumps unless they had the amber fuel light on with the car levels in the red zone.

Since the price hike a couple of weeks back I was sure that there would be drop within about 10 days and actually avoided suing the petrol car much in the period so as to be able to refill post the drop. Actually would anticipate another minor (similar) drop another 20 days down the line for petrol.
Old 3rd June 2012, 02:36   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
The whole point of the thread is: What will you gain with 60Rs. Or the savings?
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post

You could have bought 3 packets of Lays from the savings with a combined weight of less than 200 grams of chips and oodles of air inside
Well here is the point actually. I don't gain anything by saving 60 rupees or 600 rupees (I just came back home after watching Rowdy Rathod).

But for a person who struggles to own and maintain a Bajaj Chetak/Platina (No offense intended) even 6 rupees means a lot.

From 60 rupees I will rather buy 2-3 liters milk or may be 6 KG loose Atta (Wheat).

I am thankful to god that saving 60 or 600 rupees doesn't matter much for me but it definitely does for someone who buys 1 liter of milk on the day of petrol price rise instead of his daily 2 liters routine . A person parks his Bajaj Chetak for a week and travels in buses to save for next week's petrol.

Guys please note that we 71K+ BHPians are very small percentage of this country's population and we should be happy that such savings are not of great concern for us. But please don't make fun of people of this country who struggles complete life and can't even get a brand new 100cc bike, forget A,B,C segment cars.

Petrol is not just meant to power a Skoda VRS or a X5 30i, it is also meant to power 'N' numbers of Chetak/CD-100/Platina/Splendour and so on. This is where it hurts.

Let's keep our feet on the ground, Please be aware of what's what!

Last edited by bluevolt : 3rd June 2012 at 02:38.
bluevolt is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2012, 03:56   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic
The majority of our country's population is one that finds it difficult to make ends meet . Hence every penny saved is a penny earned for the majority .
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt
But for a person who struggles to own and maintain a Bajaj Chetak/Platina (No offense intended) even 6 rupees means a lot.
Well said, both of you!

I didn't stand in queue because I can afford not to. It will pinch a bit and we will all moan about the hike in our office cafeterias but honestly, is even a 5k increase in fuel costs a month going to run us broke?

On the other hand, I see people on (for example, not generalising) TVS XLs or Hero PUCHs come and fill 10 and 20Rs worth of petrol, just enough probably for the day. This hike is literally kicking them where it hurts the most.

Moral of the story: If you can afford it, don't stand in queue and make it difficult for the guy who actually needs it - and will really appreciate the saving.
Old 3rd June 2012, 10:01   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
From 60 rupees I will rather buy 2-3 liters of milk or may be 6 KG loose Atta (Wheat).
Let's keep our feet on the ground, Please be aware of what's what!
[/b]
Sorry for nitpicking but both of your assumptions are gravely wrong.
Milk prices haven gone to Rs.30-40 a litre (if not more) and loose Atta is selling nearly Rs.15-20 (if not more).
The last line summarises the feeling with which this whole issue to be seen.

The poll must have a third option (to each one his own). Reason for me not voting.

As per me:
A person going and waiting in large queue for petrol is a fool if he wastes time and petrol for small savings
but
A person also is simply lazy or fool if he dosn't do this if he has a info and he gets a Petrol pump with small or no queue

PS: Its an irony that for using the money saved from Petrol (Imported commodity) I read two suggestions on this thread, one is Alpenliebe toffee (foreign company) and Lays (another foreign company). This speaks a lot about our country's current situation.

Last edited by carwatcher : 3rd June 2012 at 10:02.
carwatcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2012, 13:44   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
Sorry for nitpicking but both of your assumptions are gravely wrong.
Milk prices haven gone to Rs.30-40 a litre (if not more) and loose Atta is selling nearly Rs.15-20 (if not more).
Mate I have not said that that prices of milk (including other commodities) has not increased.

I have mentioned that saving 60 rupees can bring couple of liters of milk and few kgs of Wheat home for a needy. Double tonned milk is 24/liter and if you have seen the mother dairy in Delhi you can see here people stand in long queues to get the milk. Now many will say that a person should get a full cream packet right away from the counter which costs nearly 40 and save time. But 10-16 rupees matters to someone and he prefer to stand in line and get the double tonned from vending machine. Loose aata is also available for 10-12 Rupees per KG from local kiryana/rashan shops while a 10KG pack of Ashirwad Atta is 200+.

We have unlimited 1/2/3/ 4MBPS Wi-Fi connections at home but someone saves one rupee to make a call from PCO!

So money/saving REALLY matters for the 'Real' common man of this country .

You are right that mods should have added a third poll 'To each his own'.

Someone who has money will not rant even if petrol price reaches 500 Rupees per liter.

Last edited by bluevolt : 3rd June 2012 at 13:50.
Old 3rd June 2012, 14:31   #171
BHPian

I could be wrong here, but from what I understand, this poll seems to be specifically asking YOU, if YOU will go stand in the queue to save a few rupees on the eve of the hike or not. I believe we are over-extending by talking about the TVS 50 guy who will wait for 3 hours, so he can save some Rs. 30.

Just saying

Rajan
Old 3rd June 2012, 14:48   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy
I could be wrong here, but from what I understand, this poll seems to be specifically asking YOU, if YOU will go stand in the queue to save a few rupees on the eve of the hike or not. I believe we are over-extending by talking about the TVS 50 guy who will wait for 3 hours, so he can save some Rs. 30.

Just saying

Rajan
You're absolutely right about the poll. But the poll also happens to be attached to this thread where people are giving their opinions. I've utilized the thread to point out that we who can afford it might also be doing somebody else harm, apart from not benefitting much by extending the queue.

Just saying
Old 3rd June 2012, 21:25   #173
BHPian

I waited for 30 mins approx to get a tankful for my car. I usually dont care for hikes below 3 rupees but since this time the gap was 7.5 rupees I gave in & queued up in the nearest petrol pump.

I filled up 26 liters of petrol and saved approx Rs. 200 (minus 30-40 odd rupees wasted in moving about in the queue). Right now its as good as 3.25 liters of petrol that makes my bike go to office and back for a week
Its a saving all rite...
Bazinga is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2012, 20:28   #174
BHPian

As for me, I would like to print this thread on bold large size fonts and post it at every petrol pump to put some sense into people's head (Sorry no offence meant - give way for emergency at least).

Even if you are on queue the pump guy is going to say "sir only 500Rs of petrol per car sir"

Ridiculous.

Last edited by kolimuttai : 4th June 2012 at 20:30. Reason: Did not want to be offensive with people's feelings.
Old 4th June 2012, 21:34   #175
BHPian

I saw some live 'tweet' on rediff.com well before other websites published the hike and immediately went to the pump right opposite to my office. There was no queue (I can see the pump from my office window) and my tank was almost empty. Now, which category do i belong?

But had there been a queue of anything more than 2 cars I wouldn't waste my time.

Last edited by veyron_head : 4th June 2012 at 21:36.
Old 4th June 2012, 22:37   #176
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 7th June 2012 at 13:43.
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   Received Infraction
Old 5th June 2012, 12:26   #177

Hi All,

On this occasion I would like to share my experience/observation after this recent 7Rs price hike.

- Almost every day I see at least 1(Two wheeler) / Sometimes have seen two as well pushing their bikes on the Electronic City – Bannergatta road NICE road where you have nothing as help. This was a case earlier as well but not very frequent. May be few of you also would have noticed the same now a days.
- I see lots and lots of bi cycles in electronic city now a days. I am sure they earn well.
- I am seeing several employees in my office opting for car pooling now. Earlier also this was their but now its rigorous practice. I work for world’s biggest hardware manufactures and they pay us reasonable.
- I see most of the vehicles (mostly 2 wheelers) completely shut down the engines on signal now a days. Even cars as well.

My personal opinion is :

- 200 Rs on 30th of the month which I can spend the way I want – Matters to me (Not Much – But Does).
- My Maid’s son works in a glass factory and all these while he used to drop her on his TVS heavy duty champ (May be I don’t remember the name of the Moped but it’s a green one very popular. Now a days the Maid comes walking.

Please Note: No Offence to anyone or any thoughts – Just my observations how this affects from the Maid level to a Level 6 Employee like me who has 2 school going kids and had to sell a petrol alto done just 25k kms for 70k Rs and bought a diesel on loan. Need to Balance and keep balancing because days are not far when petrol will cross 100 mark and salary hikes – All of know how the economy is now and how long it will take. I know very well how much you need to drive per month to buy a diesel for a higher price and how the depreciation works in terms of diesel and petrol after 3 years. But I really used to feel worked up when you give a 1000 Rs note and the petrol car takes you to office of hardly 3 – 4 Days. Same frustration the person must be undergoing who is not able to drop his mother/family on a petrol moped now a days, May be the amount varies but frustration would be the same. All these equations may change very soon and a day would come when we may no more talk about “with less usage buying a diesel is useless” anymore because the difference is increasing. Anyways my vote was “Its worth” Because it was not my vote it was all those folks across the country who are pushing the bike on the express way and learning the facts about mileage and for those who are not able to drop their families. Are we (at Team BHP)1% also of the population of people who ride/drive in India? I dont think so. Its worth because they wont idle the bikes they will sit on it will keep scrolling forwards.

Thanks and Regards,
Karim Bhai
Karim Bhai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 13:46   #178
BHPian

I have never queued up in such occasions and voted for option 2 ! I see it more an issue of people deriving certain satisfaction in that they acted smart and saved some money ! Not much thinking about the fuel wasted by idling or time wasted. Don't we feel satisfied when we buy something where original prize is cut with a big X and new price is written as "Offer" ?? Many fall for that silly gimmick and buy things even if they don't really need it. Again, one feels happy for being smart :-)

This is a universal thing, but Indians are more prone to it. And I would say Chinese/East Asians would behave in more crazy fashion. Heard of the famous "Hello Kitty" queues in front of McDonald outlets ?

Ps : I never mean that Rs 100 or 200 has no value...But it is ridiculous to see a luxury sedan owning person wasting 1 hour for this, while he/she may be spending more than the saving on talking on mobile or net browsing during this wait !! Of course, there are millions of people who would queue up for hours even if it is for Rs 10 saving, as it makes a difference to them. But good part of the crowd we see in these queues, I don't think they really belong to that group...

Last edited by Revy : 5th June 2012 at 13:53. Reason: Addition
Old 5th June 2012, 17:40   #179
BHPian

wow...this thread exactly spoke my mind (GTO's first post). Its absolutely ridiculous for people owning expensive cars to queue up to save 100-300 rs - WHILE blocking traffic and making others wait in the resultant traffic jam, thereby making others incur additional expenditure and time - not to mention blocking emergency vehicles. I am sure these people would have idled their cars (and other's cars) enough to negate the targetted savings. I was stuck in a 45 min traffic jam, and was apalled to find these people happily blocking one or two lanes of traffic during their wait. Not that 200 Rs is small for me, but the 'cost of savings' exceeds the value of savings in such an exercise.
The argument 'The majority of our country's population is one that finds it difficult to make ends meet . Hence every penny saved is a penny earned for the majority' can be turned against its head given that the every pound (not just penny) lost in traffic jams hurts majority more than the penny savings done during this process. If you are hurting none, by all means, go ahead and save. I had in my mind only the people who own expensive cars but still wanted to "save" by inconveniencing others.

Of course, I voted for the second. Great post by GTO.
Old 5th June 2012, 18:35   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

I had a very smug "retribution" moment of sorts . The Vento had been unused since the price hike since a rollback was expected anyway. And it happened right when I needed it to, the day I took off for an expressway trip to Mumbai!

Tanked up to the brim, 55 litres, and will savour that 110/-

Most Viewed