Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your line of thought?
It's worth waiting in queue to fill up on the eve of a fuel price hike 35 5.80%
The saving is too negligible considering the effort, time etc. It's not worth it 568 94.20%
Voters: 603. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2012, 18:48   #76
BHPian

Re: Ridiculous! Waiting in a petrol pump queue on the eve of a price hike

One more reason is that these queues are the most indisciplined, raising your BP. People try to squeeze in from all directions. In effect you may end up spoiling your mood for the whole day.
Old 28th May 2012, 18:56   #77
BHPian

My vote for this option:It's worth waiting in queue to fill up on the eve of a fuel price hike.

My Dio holds upto 5.5 Liters of Fuel and with the current Fuel Efficiency of around 46(+/-),the range is somewhere around 250 Kilometers.
My Daily commute is around 32 Km(+/-) so, A tank-full would last me a week or so.
Given that the price before the hike was around 74.5 INR(/Liter),It cost me around 400 INR to get the tank filled but now it'll cost me approximately 50 INR(/tank-full) more than the last time, to travel the same distance/last me the same time period!

For me, the conclusion is:A penny saved is a penny earned

Last edited by Patriot_Vishwas : 28th May 2012 at 18:58.
Patriot_Vishwas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2012, 19:02   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The scene is typical at any petrol-pump the minute a fuel price hike is announced.
Well, in a city like Mumbai with sooo many cars, the queue makes it impossible to wait. The usual culture and behavior of these queues is best avoided. Even if the savings is fat.

However, in smaller towns like mine, where the queues are much..much more tolerable, it makes sense, BUT, only in a hike like this. 1-2 rupee is just not worth it.

This time, I got 60 liters of petrol. Topped up my IKON, and got fuel for bike and generator. Saved about ~400 bucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
In a lighter vein, one can say that if these people did not buy out the fuel stocks of the pumps on the day before the price rise, the pumps stand to make a neat profit on their leftover stocks once the price hike comes into effect after midnight.
SST, this has and will happen. Infact, in my town, "Akhila Pump" did just this. Immediatly after the price announce, they just stopped filling regular petrol. 'Only extra premium saarrrr'..
Old 28th May 2012, 19:29   #79
Senior - BHPian

Dont we rush to do shopping when a well known branded store offers a limited period discount? Or dont we check a few shops for the price and then buy an item where its offered at the lowest rate?

Dont we fill fuel from a well known pump most of the times? Dont many fill fuel early mornings and late nights so that they get a bit extra.

In my opionion, it is very much worth the wait to fill fuel when a hike happens. You canyway need fuel and if a hour's wait gives you 10% lesser price of tomorrow, its worth it.

I did that for my Advy and filled close to 45lts by waiting for 40 mins. Literally, 4.5 liters of additional fuel. Hike or no hike, if a pump offers me 1 hours wait time and gives me a similar discount, I dont mind doing it once every week
funkykar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2012, 20:20   #80
Senior - BHPian

For me, it was the second option always. I've never been to fuel station on the eve when a hike is announced, for the obvious reasons.

But when i heard, this recent hike of 7.50 rs, i did went to fuel station to get petrol in my accent, as the tank was nearly empty.

For me, saving was higher than the, amount saved by filling up. I topped up and saved 250 rs /- on all by just waiting for 20 mins. As my accent is running on cng, so standing in queue with A/C on was not so expensive, add to that, i was getting bored at home with nothing to do. Plus i recently added some cool mp3's for my car, so standing in queue with 7-8 cars in front, was not a big problem.

So, for me the simple rule is that - i will surely go for tanking up my car on the eve of fuel hike ONLY if the hike is greater and i have some time to spare.

After all, a penny saved is a penny earned

Cheers
Sameer

Last edited by sameerg001 : 28th May 2012 at 20:22.
Old 28th May 2012, 20:28   #81
Senior - BHPian

I chose option 2 as its not worth wasting our precious time just to save a Rs 100 or 200 and burning away the same fuel just to get into the bunk and fill up and come out and not to mention the stress and tempers. Also the roads too get blocked due to the long ques.
Some people just don't realize these things.
Old 28th May 2012, 21:04   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Dont we rush to do shopping when a well known branded store offers a limited period discount? Or dont we check a few shops for the price and then buy an item where its offered at the lowest rate?
How long would you wear that shirt or trouser? 6 months, a year? How long would you use that refrigerator or Microwave Oven that you've searched in 3-4 shops for best price? 4-5 years atleast? And now think about how long would that extra fuel will last you? 1-2 days?

Quote:
Dont we fill fuel from a well known pump most of the times? Dont many fill fuel early mornings and late nights so that they get a bit extra.
Again, that's your regular filling and this is your one time filling. And just for argument's sake, I fill up fuel when it's necessary and most other also do the same I guess. Although I couldn't exactly place your logic in the debate here.

For the rest of my post, I might sound a bit harsh but it's not just aimed at you but as this is for all who thinks it's worth standing on long queues, creating massive traffic issues so that they can follow the herd.
Quote:
In my opionion, it is very much worth the wait to fill fuel when a hike happens. You canyway need fuel and if a hour's wait gives you 10% lesser price of tomorrow, its worth it.
Seriously? What do you think about people who actually needed fuel but couldn't get it because of the bee-lining made by people who actually could've waited couple more days till their fuel tanks gone empty? How about the inconvenience caused to everyone else on the road just for the sake of saving that 100-300Rs?

Quote:
I did that for my Advy and filled close to 45lts by waiting for 40 mins. Literally, 4.5 liters of additional fuel. Hike or no hike, if a pump offers me 1 hours wait time and gives me a similar discount, I dont mind doing it once every week
Congratulations on saving 300rs and no thanks for the traffic mess that people have created while waiting to save that 300Rs.

Although I've quoted your post but it was directed not just at one person. It's to all those who has created a bee-line causing useless traffic jams on the already clogged roads. I'm sure that most of these people (yes, there were needy ones in those queues who also had to endure this) could've lived happily without that saving that 100-300rs which caused so much trouble for others. Hate me if you want but I just can't digest this strange psychology of our people.
Regards,

Last edited by kaushik_s : 28th May 2012 at 21:05.
kaushik_s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2012, 21:18   #83
Senior - BHPian

^ I have no issues with your side of coin.

I, like many have it in my genes to save whenever possible. For you it might be just 300. For me it is not a just. Every money I have earned is mine.

How long I use the items I purchase nor petrol is my own choice.

Traffic jams? Why blame people who queued up? Its also an assumption that every person in the queue is waiting to top and not in need of fuel. Blame the government. Why make announcement later afternoon. Dont they know by experience such a thing is bound to happen? Why not announce it as close to the time when it will be in effect. Or in simple, why not announce saying its immediate effect. This is the answer to other road users not getting fuel.

By the way, whats wrong with this mentality? I clearly dont understand. To save is a crime? I atleast did not go steal petrol from the petrol station.
funkykar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2012, 21:27   #84
BHPian

This is a classic case of penny wise and pound foolish!

Often we tend to lose sight of the actual savings at the end of the day and concentrate on the 'perceived' savings. The time, energy and fuel spent just does not make it remunerative to justify this exercise. In my eyes, a colossal waste of fuel, an already diminishing commodity, in a feeble attempt to save a little money.
Old 28th May 2012, 21:33   #85
Senior - BHPian

Voted for second option. There is no point in saving a few hundred rupees, as the stress it causes to owner and vehicles is much more than that. The engines are idling for long, one has to do stop and go movement a lot of times, the constant stress of indiscipline humans trying to break queue, bumper scratching as people try to squeeze through, etc. are factors which are not worth digesting just for saving a few hundred rupees, not to mention, these things also cause more pollution ( by waiting and also creating traffic jams ).

The worst part is that many fuel stations falsely claimed to have dried out, whereas they were not actually out of fuel. Ethics that the stock they have purchased at earlier rate must be sold at earlier rates is absent.
Old 28th May 2012, 21:37   #86
Senior - BHPian

It wasnt for me

Around 8th car mine was. It took around 7 cranks + 5-8 sec idling each time. I absolutely was doing nothing to go do at home and I hate IPL. By the time I filled my car, the general traffic had eased quite a lot and could go home very easily. I am sure I saved more fuel from pump to home.

Since I had intention to save, I was wise enough to calculate if it would work out or not
Old 28th May 2012, 21:41   #87
BHPian

Well I had to wait for an hour to get my car fuelled only because the tank was empty. Otherwise, I would have never bothered to stand in such long queues...in total when I calculated I had saved around 250 bucks
Old 28th May 2012, 21:48   #88
BHPian

Voted for the second option.
However, this was the first time I got my car filled up as soon as I heard the news. I was running dry and had to get her filled up the next day anyways. So took a chance and went to the bunk. Got 44 liters filled. There wasn't any queue and I was done in 5 minutes. Guess I got lucky.
Old 28th May 2012, 21:50   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
The worst part is that many fuel stations falsely claimed to have dried out, whereas they were not actually out of fuel. Ethics that the stock they have purchased at earlier rate must be sold at earlier rates is absent.
That would be a wrong assumption. Fuel stations are paid a fixed commision per litre of fuel they sell. In Nov 2011 it was 1.50 for petrol and 0.91 for diesel. Not sure what it is now.

So, whether they sell the stock for the pre-hike price or the post hike-price, they still make the same commission. The primary reason they claim "No Stock" and shut down is to avoid the mob mania and related problems the consumers cause, in their effort to save some money.

Rajan
PatchyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2012, 22:51   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
That would be a wrong assumption. Fuel stations are paid a fixed commision per litre of fuel they sell. In Nov 2011 it was 1.50 for petrol and 0.91 for diesel. Not sure what it is now.

So, whether they sell the stock for the pre-hike price or the post hike-price, they still make the same commission. The primary reason they claim "No Stock" and shut down is to avoid the mob mania and related problems the consumers cause, in their effort to save some money.

Rajan
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post2790949 (Ridiculous! Waiting in a petrol pump queue on the eve of a price hike)

We both made the same point :-) If I were a petrol bunk owner, I 'd also be concerned if there was violence on the forecourt. With 20,000 litres under the squabbling citizenry, it doesn't take long for a catastrophe to occur.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks