Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your line of thought?
It's worth waiting in queue to fill up on the eve of a fuel price hike 35 5.80%
The saving is too negligible considering the effort, time etc. It's not worth it 568 94.20%
Voters: 603. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2012, 23:08   #91
BHPian

Re: Ridiculous! Waiting in a petrol pump queue on the eve of a price hike

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 29th May 2012 at 15:24.
venks is offline   Received Infraction
Old 28th May 2012, 23:18   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

All right now, ready with that flame thrower?....

Surprising how many folks voted for the second option but conveniently pleaded guilty of having a completely empty tank! Perhaps GTO should have had a third poll option saying "I don't like filling up just before a price hike, but my tank was bone dry and engine running on fumes only, so I just HAD to go and queue up."
Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme
...fuel dealers simply make a flat commision per litre...
This should make them neutral to any price ...not the 'owners' of the fuel being sold (same is retained by the distributor company). They simply bill their principal (distributing company) at the flat rate x the quantity of fuel (litres/kilolitres)...
...they are incentivized to sell as much VOLUMES as they can...
Not quite. They still make a profit by showing sales the previous day, when actual sale happened at hiked prices. Newer electronic pumps can track that, older pumps cannot.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2012, 23:56   #93
Senior - BHPian

For me its simple calculation: Savings = Approx empty tank * price hike. Usual price hike is either 1 or 2 rupees (last hike was an aberration). Savings is less than 50 rupees even on full tank (I get more cashback when I use IOC credit card on full top up).

I will fill up only if the bunk is on the way I am travelling and the queue must be usual (around 2 cars). Else I wouldn't stop.

Last edited by msdivy : 29th May 2012 at 00:03.
Old 29th May 2012, 00:15   #94
BHPian

Its how you look at it. I never go for the fill up at such occasions. I also feel the saving is much less to the time I would spend in the queue. Anyways I dont think any of us would like to go and waste a couple of hours to save 150 bucks.
But yes there are a lot of people who believe otherwise. One's own choice .
Old 29th May 2012, 01:17   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
That would be a wrong assumption. Fuel stations are paid a fixed commision per litre of fuel they sell. In Nov 2011 it was 1.50 for petrol and 0.91 for diesel. Not sure what it is now.

So, whether they sell the stock for the pre-hike price or the post hike-price, they still make the same commission. The primary reason they claim "No Stock" and shut down is to avoid the mob mania and related problems the consumers cause, in their effort to save some money.

Rajan
Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post2790949 (Ridiculous! Waiting in a petrol pump queue on the eve of a price hike)

We both made the same point :-) If I were a petrol bunk owner, I 'd also be concerned if there was violence on the forecourt. With 20,000 litres under the squabbling citizenry, it doesn't take long for a catastrophe to occur.
Thank god someone is looking at the other side of the story as well.

I have been going through the thread and thought of sharing this experience with you guys.

I am a student here in Mumbai. My family is based in Chandigarh.

My dad operates a petrol pump in Chandigarh. On the day when the hike was announced I read about the same on facebook and called up my dad (He wasn't aware of the same). He rushed to the outlet only to find at least 50 vehicles queued up on both sides. This was at 7 PM. Things were running smooth and customers were getting fuel filled up and leaving.

By 8PM tempers had started flaring up. There had been at least 5 fist-fights and numerous other verbal spats. My dad could sense trouble and like always, he called the police (telling them there is a law and order situation).

At 8:30PM 1 PCR Gypsy was sent along with an SHO and 2 constables. They tried to restore some order in the queues. Soon there were news reporters and all sorts of people who came in and started showing there high-handedness and demanded that their cars be fueled up first and that they should not be made to wait. On being told to join the regular queue like others, most of them threatened my dad and left.

By 9PM, things started heating up again and a customer on a motorbike slapped an employee (because the employee had asked him to move up ahead after his fueling was done). Also, 3 cars had hit one another in the rush to get inside. The policemen sorted the matter out.

By 9:30PM My mother called saying me that things are really getting out of hand here. Just too much fighting and arguing. (She and my sister had gone to meet my dad and to give him something to eat as he is a heart patient). Next my dad realises that the cops went away without informing him. He called up the police again only to be told that they are busy elsewhere and that he should make his own arrangements to sort out any issues. He called up the SP. She said she cannot help him in any way and he should speak to the SHO of the area.

At 10PM dad asked the employees to let maximum number of customers in (so that they can get fuel) and put up the metal chains at the entrance. He also asked them to switch the overhead lights off. The pump closes at 10PM - IOCL guidelines.

Now comes the reason why he was trying to call the police.

Within seconds, a mob of atleast 200 customers (although i'd like to call them hooligans - these are the ones who were left outside) comes inside and starts hurling abuses and goes on a rampage. They start breaking flower pots, kicking the fuel dispensers and beat up 5 employees who try to stop them from doing so. They demand to see the owner. They hurl the choicest of abuses.

Saala Chor Hai! Kal Maal Bech Ke Paise Kamayega! (He's a thief. He will sell the stock tomorrow and earn money)

Aag Laga Denge Humein Tel Nahi Diya Toh We'll set the place on fire if we are not given fuel.

Hum Dekhte Hain Saala Band Kaise Karega We'll see to it that he doesn't shut down the pump.

My mother calls me up. She is inside the office with my sister. Both are crying because they cannot find my dad and there are these 200 people right outside wanting to barge into the office. The employees who were stopping them from coming inside are being beaten up.

My dad meanwhile had left from the rear exit and has rushed to the nearest police station to call some policemen. I google the police headquarter numbers for chandigarh and call them and tell them what the situation is. They assure me they'll send someone over. I pass on the number to my sister who also calls up and asks for help.

10:15PM 1 PCR gypsy comes with 4 policemen and my dad. 4 against 200, what a match! My grandfather (he is a retired govt employee) calls up his contacts in the police and tries to arrange for some police force.

By 10:30PM 2 more gypsies arrive with another 8 policemen. A senior police officer comes and requests my dad that it would be better if he opens the pump for some more time as they cannot control the situation and there could be a riot. Dad obliges and asks the boys to resume fueling again. The entire mob rushes back to their vehicles and in the rush to get inside 4 cars end up banging each other. Again the fight continues.

Operations go on till 11:30PM after which the 12 policemen apparently get bored and decide enough is enough. They order the employees to close the pump. Some minor altercations take place but they are resolved this time.

After checking all records and readings for the day, my family reaches home at 12:30PM. All three of them hungry and scandalized by what happened in the last 5 hours.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now coming to the employees. What was their fault in the whole deal. Poor guys don't even understand the economics or the reason why the prices were hiked. They had eaten their last meal at 1PM which was lunch and were standing there working for 11 hours, fueling up car after car. (If any of you runs their own business, you would understand what employees mean to your organisation).

But they were beaten up for stopping people from kicking the same dispensing units through which they earn their living, for trying to protect the owners wife and daughter.

The flowerpots that my grandmother and mother so carefully take care of all through winter and spring so that the flowers bloom well and we can do our share of saving the environment, were all broken. Think of the pain you undergo seeing that sight.

There were customers who barged in with their cars the wrong way (through the exit) saying that they just needed air and then would park in front of an entire queue and demand fuel. How do you handle such cases?

How about the so called well connected customers who threatened my dad when he asked them to join the regular queue.

How about the wear and tear on the dispensing units due to continuous operations for 6 straight hours?

(Well, the employees were finally given ice cream and cold drinks by my dad in the night and they were promised a meal from their choice of restaurant the next day as that day all restaurants had closed - for their good and hard work all evening)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the end of it all, there was almost no fuel left in the tanks. The pump was dry. We didn't earn a single extra rupee from a 7.5 rupees a litre hike. All we earned as a family was a bad name for being thieves and the harassment my family had to go through.

There is just so much you have to keep in mind and think about when you are sitting on 10000 litres of fuel. How many of you will be able to keep quiet and see each car driving away with just 200 rupees of your profits and on top of it abusing you as well on the way out. C'mon guys we should all appreciate that its a business that is being operated here.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now tell me. What should my dad do when the prices are hiked the next time? Shouldn't he also put a board saying "OUT OF STOCK" and give himself and his employees half a day off?? (the much needed off incase you guys didn't realise that the operations of a fuel outlet are such that you are operating all 365 days. NO HOLI. NO DIWALI. NO CHRISTMAS. NO NEW YEARS. You just don't get an off!!)

Or should he put up with the all the nonsense like he has been, after every price hike announcement, for the last 9 years.
aplang1 is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 29th May 2012, 01:22   #96
BHPian

I think there are a lot of assumptions made to support this thread's argument. But we also need to keep in mind that
  1. Not everyone has to wait for hours before buying the fuel
  2. Not everyone has family members waiting back home to spend quality time with
  3. 200 Rs saved in an hour = 200 * 8 = 1600 / day. Doesn't that look like a significant amount? The saving would be substantial for people who could tank up their vehicles in less than an hour.
A colleague of mine went a step ahead and asked his driver to tank up his Civic. In the process he saved 300 INR by spending his driver's half an hour of time. The driver would have spent that time in the basement parking playing cards with fellow drivers anyway. Not a bad deal in my humble opinion.

Moral of the story: To each his own. I believe most of the car owners know how to leverage time and money available at their disposal. And there is nothing ridiculous if someone decides to save money instead of time for a change.
Old 29th May 2012, 09:30   #97
Senior - BHPian

One easy way to stop people from queueing up at pumps can come from the govt. itself.

Instead of announcing the price hike from midnight of the day it's announced, why can't they hike the prices immediately. The hike comes into effect when they finish reading the statement ! SIMPLE !
normally_crazy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2012, 10:41   #98
Senior - BHPian

In my case if I suspect that there is a fuel hike imminent then I ensure that I top up my car earlier than waiting till its 1/3rd, but no point in filling up after the announcement. Its just plain crazy and not worth the time spent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplang1 View Post

I have been going through the thread and thought of sharing this experience with you guys.
Sorry to hear about your experience Aplang. Definitely a very scary evening for your entire family. Things like this are actually worse in Punjab and north cause everyone is someone . Reading this I guess shutting down pumps and losing half day of business is better than than the ordeal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
One easy way to stop people from queueing up at pumps can come from the govt. itself.

Instead of announcing the price hike from midnight of the day it's announced, why can't they hike the prices immediately. The hike comes into effect when they finish reading the statement ! SIMPLE !
Good point. I dont understand the economics but you are right, there must be a better way to implement price rise rather than mid night rule. Even within 1 hr of announcement would be good enough to ensure all the bunks get the communication.
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2012, 10:46   #99
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thank you for sharing this; puts in a lot of perspective.

Guess each one is trying their best to do what's good for them - some try to squeeze in to get that last drop of fuel, some work overtime to make sure no one loses out due to the hike.

It's such situations that separate the men from the boys - proud of the way your family handled the situation.

But most times, society is so short-sighted that they just see personal gain - not really think from an overall perspective.

Don't worry, there is enough goodness in the world to reward your dad and the employees for the good work.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2012, 10:51   #100
BHPian

I wont bother to queue up when hike is announced. There is monetary benefit or no benefit, family time is required or not required, I will still not queue up. Main reason is I am one big lazy person to do any such act. I normally fill up my tank at Shell, not because they have the purest of all, but there is less crowd.
Old 29th May 2012, 11:01   #101
BHPian

I guess I am too lazy to undertake such a pain for 200 bucks!! :P
But seriously, it is more of a psychological satisfaction than any objective benefits.
But then, we petrol heads bought petrol cars even though diesel cars made more objective sense simply because of intangible factors like 'driving pleasure/smooth revving' etc!
So i guess petrol car users are emotionally more susceptible than other!!!
Old 29th May 2012, 11:03   #102
Team-BHP Support

Voted for a No!
I don't think it makes any sense for us to wait in long queues to save some 200-300 Rs. The 1-hour idling will drain out a litre or more of petrol right away. We spend money on so many small, insignificant things - things such as hanging out with friends, on recreation or going out for lunch, dinner, etc which blow up way more money sometimes than 300 Rs. Why not forego the trouble and fillup on the next day with more peace of mind.

Another reason why not to go on the eve (paranoid example of sorts) - you go to such a bunk on the previous day and wait in the queue. In the melee, a 2-wheeler guy tries to squeeze in between your car and another car, causing a deep scratch on your bumper by scraping his footpeg or crashguard. Now where does your 300 Rs. savings stand, versus the 2000 Rs. repair cost for the bumper scratch? Worth the trouble?

Last edited by KarthikK : 29th May 2012 at 11:07.
Old 29th May 2012, 11:33   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Really a horrible experience that your family went through. Its not easy to run a petrol pump on such days. Cannot imagine what your family experienced and really appreciate now that it would be much better to put up a board reading "OUT OF STOCK". Also the poor employees who became the victim of irresponsible people's unecessary wrath shows the value of the society, really pathetic. Just hope that this post is read by as many people to realize what their few rupees savings could mean for others.
Shreyas Aterkar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2012, 12:33   #104
BHPian

Quote:

I am a student here in Mumbai. My family is based in Chandigarh.
My dad operates a petrol pump in Chandigarh.
Or should he put up with the all the nonsense like he has been, after every price hike announcement, for the last 9 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock 'n' rollz View Post
I think there are a lot of assumptions made to support this thread's argument. But we also need to keep in mind that
  1. Not everyone has to wait for hours before buying the fuel
  2. Not everyone has family members waiting back home to spend quality time with
  3. 200 Rs saved in an hour = 200 * 8 = 1600 / day. Doesn't that look like a significant amount? The saving would be substantial for people who could tank up their vehicles in less than an hour.
A colleague of mine went a step ahead and asked his driver to tank up his Civic. In the process he saved 300 INR by spending his driver's half an hour of time. The driver would have spent that time in the basement parking playing cards with fellow drivers anyway. Not a bad deal in my humble opinion.

Moral of the story: To each his own. I believe most of the car owners know how to leverage time and money available at their disposal. And there is nothing ridiculous if someone decides to save money instead of time for a change.
Hi Rock n Rollz, what is that 8 in your calculations? You won 8 cars? or you did 8 full tanks in 8hours?

That's Civic owner has to have his civic seized! After owning some 15lacs Rs car he is still cheap! and that cheap attitude what is the cause of all evils or most of the evils prevailing in our society. That "money is eveything" attitude! I am sure his driver must be thinking "what a loser sirrrr"!

I think what Aplang1 has written should be an eye-opener for all of us. It could have turned ugly. Thank God all is fine with his family and those employees.

Hope better sense would prevail.
Old 29th May 2012, 13:10   #105
BHPian

Reading through the whole topic brought out interesting points:

A. People who think its not worth it: I'm in this group as well for the points below, as I feel people will loose more/suffer for saving something notional(will tell why)

1. Lose Time (lots of explaination given, no need to rant again)
2. Lose Idling Fuel(no matter how little, it is still wasted for non critical/needed activity)
3. Lose Peace of mind. You may end up on medications for getting high/low BP, headache, diabetes, insomnia, muscle cramps/strain for lack of movement, etc leading to shelling out your so called "money saved"
4. Suffer hunger pangs and may end up eating out/buying roadside junk food for this unplanned activity, losing more of the so called "saved money"
5. Suffer car repair or personal treatment costs based on car being nudged,banged,scratched, or you being involved in fistfight,verbal duel,sprains or even broken nose.
6. Suffer longer traffic jams and chaos as all the parked/dormant vehicles will pour out on the road (which had no purpose other than tanking up for saving some amount)
7. Suffer additional costs of Wear and tear of vehicle parts by clutch burning, stopping/starting, excessive braking, running car in insufficient ventilated area,etc
8. Suffer by breathing more impure air and inhaling CO and toxic gasses in and round the whole area saturated by idling vehicles.

B. People who think its worth it:

1. I think it may be worth it only if you are not affected by any of the above mentioned points and even if people say the above were not encountered by them and they did end up saving anywhere from above Rs10/- to(fill dream amount!), the next point comes up as..
2. The so called saved money is still going up in smoke by trying to navigate back through the thick traffic and bottlenecks created. Parked vehicles which came out for this so called saving exercise definitely lose more!

Net result, people losing more money over and above the hiked prices and savings.
If some one is still in exception and came out indeed saving money, I would only say they were in the ideal time and place. For the majority its still a loosing gamble.
racer_m is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks