Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your line of thought?
It's worth waiting in queue to fill up on the eve of a fuel price hike 35 5.80%
The saving is too negligible considering the effort, time etc. It's not worth it 568 94.20%
Voters: 603. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2012, 04:34   #151
BHPian

Re: Ridiculous! Waiting in a petrol pump queue on the eve of a price hike

I voted to Option 2 as we have 3 cars and we never let the fuel needle go below half way mark. So going to gas station and get the fuel filled up for all 3 cars does not make sense at all, neither mentally nor economically (even if 200-300 bucks are saved, the time consumed would be too much).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock 'n' rollz View Post
And for all those who think that its an Indian mentality please visit GasBuddy.com - Find Low Gas Prices in the USA and Canada ("Consumers working together to save on gas"). The reason there are no queues in other parts of the world might be something to do with better infrastructure and population density.
Please understand that US and Canada's gas market is completely different than what we have in India. People in US/Canada use the gasbuddy app to find cheap gas around the area but for different reason that what we are discussing here. Let me explain why:
In India, the gas prices are controlled by government where as in USA/Canada, it's an open market and gas prices change every single day. So, gas station owners are free to set the petrol/diesel prices on their wish unlike India where you will find same price for liter of fuel anywhere in state. So, it is very much possible that a gas station just one block down from your regular fill-up station may be cheaper today but not tomorrow. (prices vary for different brands, unbranded, locations etc.) So that is the reason, people check the gas prices and fill up accordingly. BUT again, it is a daily scenario and very different compared to India (price change in may be once in a year). To give you an example, the gas station just outside of my community is usually 9 to 10 cents higher than the gas stations half a mile down from my house due to virtually no competition. In this scenario, gasbuddy app is very helpful.

I hope this explains you the mentality difference on the issue that we are discussing here. No body is against savings as penny saved is penny earned.

Last edited by Nitrous Power : 1st June 2012 at 04:39.
Old 1st June 2012, 13:10   #152
BHPian

I was wondering whether these were only 5% people queuing for filling at various bunks (considering 95% people have voted against it), imagine what would have happened even if 50% people would have filled their cars, Chaos, warzone, battlefield, bloodshed...

Sorry for being overboard, but the scenes were no better at pumps in Delhi, cops were literally wielding batons, trying to manage the chaotic situation, not to mention the endless jams created by zig-zag queues, all this to save a 150-200 bucks

People like me actually suffered (took me more than 3 hrs to reach from Gurgaon to Rohini) with low fuel warning choking me to death on entire route (I drive diesel, but couldn't gather courage to tussle for it in the queues).
Old 1st June 2012, 13:13   #153
BHPian

I voted for "not worth it" Taking the trouble of sitting in your car and waiting in a que for hours to save some money is just not my way of spending an evening. This is mere herd mentality.
regards,
Ashok
Old 1st June 2012, 13:30   #154
Senior - BHPian

The title says it. "Ridiculous". In Chennai it was even worse, most of the bunks were swarmed by bikers than cars. Calculating how much a biker would save, is even more ridiculous! But, like many said, it is in the minds. "Kitna deti hai" mindset is driving this phenomenon. Just to tell one's friend/ relative/ colleague that "filled up last evening before the price rice, did you?"
Old 1st June 2012, 13:34   #155
BHPian

I feel its worth waiting IF AND ONLY IF, I need to fill my bike/two-wheeler.

This is because
1. I will switch off the engine and push my bike in the queue till I reach the filling machine. Hence no fuel is wasted due to idling

2. If I fill 10 litres, I ll manage to save around Rs.80, which can buy me another litre of petrol and extra 45-50kms of commute.

When I want to fill my car, I really don't like to wait in queue since I tank-up full when the tank is half empty.

PS: I don't know which option to choose :P
Old 1st June 2012, 20:15   #156
BHPian

I voted for option 1 :- Its definitely worth it ! And my reasoning follows below .

The majority of our country's population is one that finds it difficult to make ends meet . Hence every penny saved is a penny earned for the majority .

Also people calling it ridiculous to save "ONLY" Rs. 200-300 is in itself ridiculous . The value of money differs from person to person and while some might find it a penny wise pound foolish attitude others might not mind waiting in a que to save that money .

Also lets not forget that the argument that saving 200-300 on things like clothes , accessories etc is worth it because these items last for a longer time and a tank of petrol lasts only as long as a week at the max . If this analogy was so true then why do combo offers at many restaurants sell so well if its a matter of saving "ONLY" a couple of hundred of bucks??

The answer is very simple , its the ideology that matters. Some think some ways while others think differently .

Last edited by Enigmatic : 1st June 2012 at 20:35.
Enigmatic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2012, 21:02   #157
BHPian

I avoid trips to the fuel station because of the queues. When I am running close to empty or have a long trip, I do have to re-fuel. In the monsoons, unexpected blocked roads can mean hours of waiting in traffic so it's best to ensure that there's at least a quarter tank of fuel. I don't have a reserve fuel indicator so it's just the needle for me - the indication isn't accurate if I'm parked on a slope and we've got lots of those at Jubilee Hills.
Old 1st June 2012, 22:21   #158
BHPian

I have not voted as it depends on 2 main things and can't be generalised.

1) The quantum of hike
2) The cost of time for the individual

I would wait in the que and tank up only if I would save more than 200 bucks and also I am sitting idle with nothing to do.
Old 1st June 2012, 23:36   #159
SAS
BHPian

I went for option 2. While my car runs on CNG and wifey's petrol one clocks little mileage, my bike needed a refill. So instead of bothering about whether the govt would reduce prices next week, I went to the pump and willed a whole 13.1 litres of petrol in my Yamaha SZ's tank. Yep, I filled Rs. 1030 worth of petrol in a bike, call that a record!!!

It did pinch a bit, but reducing the runs to the pump by filling at one go saves money. Plus I used my credit card and got a 2.5% cash back on the fill. So effectively I wouldn't be too bothered. I'll make up the Rs. 25 lost elsewhere, like avoid a couple of junk food packets, etc.
Old 2nd June 2012, 08:19   #160
BHPian

I voted for option 2.

Why?
I am too lazy

For saving about Rs.70, i cant wait in a queue for an hour
Old 2nd June 2012, 14:42   #161
BHPian

If your fuel consumption doesnot vary month to month and if you are better filling up your tank whenever you fuel meter touches E mark.

Assumptions :
1. U don't have super 500 liter booster fuel tank in your car
2. U can spend the full tank of fuel within a month

Price variations on fuel will deliver sustainable cost benefits , as does better driving techniques and habits does :-)
Old 2nd June 2012, 18:16   #162
BHPian

This should be in the jokes thread, but felt better suited here:

Yankel, Minnie’s young son, comes rushing in from school one day, out of breath, shvitzing,gasping for air. “What’s wrong?” cried Minnie. “Oh, Mamma, you’ll be so proud of me! Today, I saved the whole two-dollar fare by running behind the bus all the way home.” “Shtummie!” yells Minnie. “Better you should have run behind a taxi and saved $10!”

Rajan
Old 2nd June 2012, 19:10   #163
Senior - BHPian

Now what will you call this...

People wait in queue and fill the tank for saving rupees when price is increased.

I got my tank full today and now I am getting the news that petrol price has been slashed by 2 rupees.

I lost 60 rupees (filled 30 liters) because of this reduction of petrol price.
Old 2nd June 2012, 22:44   #164
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Now what will you call this...
The whole point of the thread is: What will you gain with 60Rs. Or the savings?

If many other things are worth more, then why bother?
Old 3rd June 2012, 00:33   #165
Senior - BHPian

I have never rushed to the petrol pumps on such occasions and nor do i intend to in the near future so voted for option 2. I am amazed when some people are in the line for 30-40 mins trying to save 200 bucks (say they fill 30 litres) with their air conditioners on or cranking the engine atleast 10 times, 100 bucks for all this trouble isnt worth it in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I lost 60 rupees (filled 30 liters) because of this reduction of petrol price.
You could have bought 3 packets of Lays from the savings with a combined weight of less than 200 grams of chips and oodles of air inside

Most Viewed