Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2012, 20:39   #16
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Autocar Young Driver Contest 2012

I think the test will be on a simulator. So don't worry about which car to take or drive
Old 24th June 2012, 23:05   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

I think its mix of both simulator and real life driving. If its just the simulator, then I will back off here itself. I don't want their A-star as one i already have a k10 at home and two I don't want another petrol car at home
Old 25th June 2012, 10:34   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohittunga View Post
I think the test will be on a simulator. So don't worry about which car to take or drive
Well, I had a real world test in a petrol swift and not a simulator. On asking about the simulator they said we will not be given a simulator test this year.

OT: Just found out that I have been promoted to a 'BHPian'

Last edited by prkiran : 25th June 2012 at 10:35.
Old 25th June 2012, 10:51   #19
BHPian

I got selected for the next round as well , got a call today , lets see what happens
Old 27th June 2012, 19:41   #20
BHPian

I just appeared for the on-road test today on a MDS Swift Dzire.

Here are the sequence of events -

1. After completing all the formalities, the instructor and myself got into the vehicle and he asked me to take the car out of the parking slot. I adjusted my driving position, ORVM and IRVM and asked him to buckle up.

2. After going out of the compound, he asked me to navigate towards the Western Express Highway

3. Once on the highway, he asked me to take the vehicle on the National Park flyover and asked me to pull aside on the steepest section of the flyover. I pulled aside after giving appropriate indicators and started the hazard indicators.

4. He asked me to again move ahead which I did after shutting the hazard warning indicators.

5. After the flyover, asked me to U-Turn on the next signal which I did

6. Asked me what do the RTO signs on the road mean - ('X') and ('/')

'X' - For do not stop
'/' - For No Parking

7. Got into the compound and asked me to park the vehicle.

8. Done

Anyone else was asked about the RTO signs on the road ?

Cheers,
Yogesh.
Old 27th June 2012, 19:53   #21
BHPian

I did not receive any mail. Seems i did not pass their test.
Old 29th June 2012, 18:19   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Took the test today, an hour back in a pretty much screwed up wagonr. The clutch was slipping like anything and did not have a linear action. It would act in its own style. Managed to drive without stalling the car except while reversing due to an upward incline. Not sure on how they judge as the person had not marked a single thing in the sheet except my name and number. There is a list given to the examiner to properly rate each aspect and then the final score, but nothing was done in my case. Now I feel its a waste going till there and taking the test.

Last edited by audioholic : 29th June 2012 at 18:22.
Old 1st July 2012, 12:29   #23
Senior - BHPian

I got selected, got a e-mail today. I selected 13:00 slot for tomorrow. Will update, once i get back after the test.

Cheers!
Old 1st July 2012, 13:04   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Took the test today, an hour back in a pretty much screwed up wagonr. The clutch was slipping like anything and did not have a linear action. It would act in its own style. Managed to drive without stalling the car except while reversing due to an upward incline. Not sure on how they judge as the person had not marked a single thing in the sheet except my name and number. There is a list given to the examiner to properly rate each aspect and then the final score, but nothing was done in my case. Now I feel its a waste going till there and taking the test.
Pretty much the same thing in my case. I was tested on some basics and later asked to drive a tortured-clutch Alto. Only thing I wrote on the form was my number and name. I also attached a xerox copy of my driver's licence. They told me that they would take care of my grading, whatever that meant.

This is my third year participating in Autocar's young driver and well, the experience has not changed over the last three years. .

Last edited by designersf : 1st July 2012 at 13:05.
Old 1st July 2012, 21:53   #25
Senior - BHPian

I feel Autocar should also have another category for "30+". The tests could be made tougher, if required. I feel it is not correct to assume that people achieve good driving skills (and maturity) when they reach the age of 30.

Last edited by jinojohnt : 1st July 2012 at 21:54.
Old 2nd July 2012, 16:02   #26
Senior - BHPian

I took the test today, I booked my self for 13:00 slot today. I reached there 10 mins before. In the showroom, i was the only one who was giving the test.

Firstly, they made me sit on customer's lounge, where there was no fan nor any AC and made me sit there for 10 mins, I was sweating like hell , anyways i filled up the form, they took my license and after getting it photocopied, we went for the test.

The test was in a screwed up ALTO, the car was vibrating like hell, the clutch's behavior was weird, The instructor told me that drive for 2 kms just like that, and be familiar with the car.

As soon as, i started to drive, i told him to wear the seat belt, adjusted mirrors and was ready to roll. After 2 kms, he told me to stop the car on road side and told me that, now the test will start, then he asked me 3 questions :

1- What we need to check under the bonnet before starting the car ?

2- What documents do we need to keep in the car, while driving ?

3- How many type of road signs do we have ?

I answered 1 and 2 question, but i got confused over the 3rd one.

After then, he told me to stop on a incline and told me to continue from there, which i did using the handbrake. Then on the way back, he asked me 3-4 road signs and we reached back to showroom.

Then he asked me to reverse the car and park, which i did, after which the test ended.

Whatever, the result may be. The whole system of this test and all is mismanaged. Anyways, lets see what happens next.

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 2nd July 2012, 19:15   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by designersf View Post
I was tested on some basics and later asked to drive a tortured-clutch Alto.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
The test was in a screwed up ALTO, the car was vibrating like hell, the clutch's behavior was weird, The instructor told me that drive for 2 kms just like that, and be familiar with the car.
Looks like young drivers are given fried-clutch cars to see how they can manage in times when their clutch gets screwed too I had the same experience. Normally while driving I dont revv the car until I have let go of the clutch and the car too moves without applying pressure on the accl. pedal. However, in the test car the clutch pedal has no, I repeat no feedback until you let it go completely, and then it stalls. Then came the same dialogue from the instructor - Drive for two minutes you will get the hang of it. At that point I wanted to hang the competition itself. And except reversing into a road, no other special skill tests for me. Then there was this contestant who was used to driving a diesel car. And the instructor had a tough time teaching him how to drive this fried clutch car!
Old 2nd July 2012, 23:12   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Looks like young drivers are given fried-clutch cars to see how they can manage in times when their clutch gets screwed too I had the same experience. Normally while driving I dont revv the car until I have let go of the clutch and the car too moves without applying pressure on the accl. pedal. However, in the test car the clutch pedal has no, I repeat no feedback until you let it go completely, and then it stalls. Then came the same dialogue from the instructor - Drive for two minutes you will get the hang of it. At that point I wanted to hang the competition itself. And except reversing into a road, no other special skill tests for me. Then there was this contestant who was used to driving a diesel car. And the instructor had a tough time teaching him how to drive this fried clutch car!
Even, I stalled the car for the first time. Man, the clutch was just W-E-I-R-D. Somehow, I managed it and didn't stalled the car throughout the test.

The car which was given to me, was a 90,000 Kms done ALTO LXI with CNG, i started the car, the instructor switched on the aircon, the car then started vibrating like hell. I slotted the 1st gear, the car was moving slower then a cycle, I didn't revved her too much, as instructor would then feel, that i am not a good driver.

The car was same, which they use to teach their driving school students.

Any idea, when we'll have results of 2nd stage ?

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 3rd July 2012, 10:36   #29
BHPian

Does anybody know when we can expect the results?
Old 4th July 2012, 15:36   #30
BHPian

My experience has been pretty much the same. I chose MDS at RNS Motors Yeshwanthpur. Booked the 3:40 - 4:00 slot and hence applied half day leave as well . I was there at their place by 3:10 only to be told that they needed the Original DL as well as a print out of the mail that I received from Autocar. So I immediately headed to my home which was a 30 min drive and got all the necessary documents.

I finally reached their place by 4 15 pm and was attended by an instructor immediately. He first asked me the basic questions like what are the documents that one needs to carry and preliminary checks and so on which was pretty easy. Then came the time when I had to go for a test and I was given a horrendous Zen Estilo. That car had 86000 km on ODO was used and abused pretty badly. I felt like driving a truck as the clutch had just no feel. And then comes the gearbox, which was the worst ever gearbox that I've used. In that condition I was asked to drive on the busy Yeshwanthpur main road. I stalled the car twice ( I cannot recollect stalling in any other car that I've driven) and literally had to floor the accelerator to get moving. Apart from that there were the usual stuff like stopping on an incline and reverse parking. All this I was able to do but stalled the car a lot in the process.

Later I was told to come to a room where various traffic signs were displayed and the Instructor asked me what they meant. They were quite easy and then told that the test was over. Overall the test went pretty badly and I have absolutely no hopes of getting through the next round. Half day leave gone wasted

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks