Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2014, 22:51   #406
Senior - BHPian

re: 2014 Mahindra Scorpio Facelift (W105). EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 7.98 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
You bet during the last Lok Sabha elections we had rented over 50 of them all kind of Bolero, Sumo GOld whatever came along.

I had owned a DI Turbo SLX for five years and it was good. At ZX with a M2DI engine is owned by a friend of mine who owns a gun shop here. I rode in it to my farmhouse in Gurgaon to set the telescope of his .22 Rifle. I was impressed by the smoothness and finesse. My God, my own Bolero was so crude by going on all those rural roads. His Bolero rode as as smooth as my Scorpio.

I don't like the rear seat leg room but tempted to buy one more.
Eagerly waiting to see how the new Bolero would be changed mechanically or esthetically.

In Scorpio, however I feel it will be a new lease of life till we see an all new Scorpio.

In short, Scorpio and Bolero along with Tata Storme are getting their last plastic surgery before the ALL NEW models hit the road.
Parm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2014, 12:18   #407
BHPian

Mahindra is planning to launch this latest version before Diwali. Its a refreshing change no doubt, but its just to buy time. The all new Scorpio on new platform and all new body is coming in 2 years.

Mahindra wants to keep the consumer interested, thats really good.

A new dashboard, better legroom, new headlights will help. I am from the old block so I am not too keen about infotainment system. The more the gadgets, the more will be the niggles.

Last edited by ortho_surgeon : 30th August 2014 at 12:20.
ortho_surgeon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2014, 12:51   #408
BHPian

The Mahindra scorpio facelift launch may be closer than one thinks. As per this report - potentially mid sept. http://m.autocarindia.com/Article.as...0105&type=News
Old 30th August 2014, 12:56   #409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortho_surgeon View Post
Mahindra is planning to launch this latest version before Diwali. Its a refreshing change no doubt, but its just to buy time. The all new Scorpio on new platform and all new body is coming in 2 years.

A new dashboard, better legroom, new headlights will help. I am from the old block so I am not too keen about infotainment system. The more the gadgets, the more will be the niggles.
Othro, I agree with you on this. I also prefer a more mechanical and functional vehicle than a electronically control vehicle!

I can get the gadgets installed if I need any, I don't need TPMS, voice control, etc. which cause more problems and frequent breakdowns and visits to the A.S.S.
Old 30th August 2014, 12:58   #410
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The all new Scorpio on new platform and all new body is coming in 2 years.
My friends in Mahindra have been working on this project for ages now! They need to find out ways to shorten their product development cycle.

And it's not limited to Mahindra alone. TATA also suffers from the same problem.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2014, 13:25   #411
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...The all new Scorpio on new platform and all new body is coming in 2 years....
2 years itself is HUGE. If the below post is correct, then its really bad. At times when the major players take around an year or less to bring a production model, they better start being efficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
My friends in Mahindra have been working on this project for ages now! They need to find out ways to shorten their product development cycle.

And it's not limited to Mahindra alone. TATA also suffers from the same problem.
+1.
Old 30th August 2014, 14:06   #412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The way thing are with the refresh, I doubt that the new platform will be out in 2 years. They might be experimenting with certain changes with the refresh to be tested with live subjects (us) which will ultimately go into the new model. Something similar to most of the gizmos of XUV which were tested in the Scorpio Mhawk specially the VLX in 2007-08.
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2014, 15:48   #413
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
The way thing are with the refresh, I doubt that the new platform will be out in 2 years.
Precisely. I was about to post this. I don't think it is just a refresh from what the scoop pics suggest, yes, not an all new model as well, but it is more than a facelift/refresh.

My thinking is, it will just be like the current Swift over the erstwhile one. Retaining all its qualities & moving ahead.

I myself am looking for a long term purchase and am assured (with the way M&M is going) that it won't be replaced for the next 4-5 years.
Old 30th August 2014, 17:13   #414
Senior - BHPian

Anyone wanting to buy a Scorp should buy the one about to be launched. This refresh itself took over 2 years. An all-new ground-up won't be out before 2020, I'm sure. Don't know why there is no word yet from M&M about launch of refresh. BTW, looking at sneak pics, it is good to see that M&M has improved the dashboard. Still, I'm not happy with the instruments. They look like 90s table-top alarm clocks. Two chrome-ringed round dials for tacho/speedo would have spruced up the look. Also, hopefully, they will have turn indicators on ORVMs. And, chrome door handles outside and inside. Am I asking too much?
Old 30th August 2014, 19:55   #415
BHPian

The all new Scorpio will be on Xuv platform and will have a monocoque body construct.

This will make a lot of difference to the handling.

Quote:
Anyone wanting to buy a Scorp should buy the one about to be launched.
You maybe right, 2 years may turn into 4 years. The Safari Storme took almost a year even after our Bhpian test drove it in Pune. I believe things in Mahindra move definitely faster. So lets keep our hopes.
Old 30th August 2014, 20:06   #416
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The all new Scorpio will be on Xuv platform and will have a monocoque body construct.
You sure about this? From where did you get this piece of information?

One of my friend & a BHPian who was supplying (he was working with the vendor which supplied components) suspension parts mentioned a change in axles and no where did he mention about a monocoque.

If this bit is indeed true, M&M are digging their grave. No way a monocoque will survive the roads & loads which a typical Scorpio EX owner belts out.

I have my doubts reserved though, it cannot & should not happen.
Old 30th August 2014, 20:24   #417
BHPian

Quote:
You sure about this? From where did you get this piece of information?
I do remember reading this bit somewhere, cannot vouch for it thou.

We know the benefits and drawbacks of a monocoque construct.

Ladder on frame is better suited for tough and rough roads.
Old 31st August 2014, 09:23   #418
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I do remember reading this bit somewhere, cannot vouch for it thou.

We know the benefits and drawbacks of a monocoque construct.

Ladder on frame is better suited for tough and rough roads.
XUV platform would mean the good bits of the XUV. The panel/fit & finish levels. Not necessarily the suspension, the way I see it.

XUV is anyways a very good cross over/soft-roader which does its work with aplomb.

I am okay with the slightly wallowy handling (less on a 4WD with good A/T tires) over a monocoque.
Old 31st August 2014, 09:32   #419
Senior - BHPian

Except the RAV 4 and the Lexus 350, all Toyota and Lexus 4WD vehicles are LOC (Ladder on Chassis). This shows the durability, practicality along with the functionality of the vehicles.

M&M will keep the Scorpio and Bolero as LOC vehicles as that's the requirement as per the Indian road conditions and the rural following of both vehicles.

Monocoque structure stays with the XUV 5 Oh Oh!
Old 31st August 2014, 14:15   #420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post

If this bit is indeed true, M&M are digging their grave. No way a monocoque will survive the roads & loads which a typical Scorpio EX owner belts out.

I have my doubts reserved though, it cannot & should not happen.
Yes, it indeed should not happen. I, too, feel that body-on-ladder-chassis are the true SUVs. Monocoques/soft-roaders/cross-overs etc. may be more sedan-like but I feel they are neither here nor there. I would rather buy a high-floored body-on-ladder SUV AND a low-floored sedan, even if pre-owned to save on moolah.

Scorpio is all about butch-looks and body-on-ladder. making it monocoque would make it sissy. I want to buy an SUV which my visiting cousins from US can look at and say, "hey! nice truck" ( the SUV-speak for yanks). Scorpio/Endy/Safari/Fortuner fall under truck category. But no one calls a CRV/Outlander/X1/Q1/Koleos/XUV/Captiva etc truck. They look too tame, un-intimidating, round and a big hatchback-like to be called a truck. Which is why I'm leaning towards Scorp. hope new one doesn't disappoint me on price-versus-features front.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks