Old 23rd September 2014, 17:40   #722
Senior - BHPian

re: 2014 Mahindra Scorpio Facelift (W105). EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 7.98 lakhs

I am a H-U-G-E fan of the Scorpio.

Have owned and extensively driven -

* 1st Gen Scorpio 2.6
* 2nd Gen Scorpio 2.6 CRDe
* 3rd Gen Scorpio 2.2 mHawk

I have even driven (short trip) the petrol Scorpio (Rev 116).

Have never owned the Scorpio Refresh (4th Gen) but have driven it and I can vouch for the fact that each and every iteration of the Scorpio was better than the previous one.

While the first one was robust, mechanically strong and powerful (back in 2003), the CRDe engine bought in the much needed refinement to the Scorpio. But this engine was still heavy and affected the handling and ride of the Scorpio. The change from leaf springs to coil springs in the rear made a considerable improvement to the ride quality but the biggest improvement in the history of Scorpio's existence was the wonderful and sweet mHawk motor. I have never driven a sweeter diesel engine. It was just perfectly mated to that gearbox. The Refresh variant refreshed the looks, especially the front and rear bumpers were improved considerably. That said, Scorpio has one of the best front seats with those independent arm rests, you literally feel like the king of the road. I cannot say for sure but I have felt that the ride quality in the Scorpio Refresh has improved considerably over the older mHawk.

So, to summarize, Mahindra has slowly and steadily improved the Scorpio over the years... As a Scorpio fan, what I see in these pictures is not encouraging. But, I am hoping that this looks better in flesh than what these pictures suggest.

What I do like are the improved interiors which look considerably more premium and what I do hope is that the mechanical changes have transformed the ride quality and handling to a great extent.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 23rd September 2014 at 17:48.
raj_5004 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 22:10   #723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifica View Post
I don't care how ugly it looks as long as it comes with three rows of seats, airbags for all rows, and automatic transmission.
Even the 3rd row of seats with side airbags. I doubt whether any vehicle on earth comes with those. If someone knows there is one, I'd love to know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uday.ere View Post
Also, an applique is removable right?

source : http://indianautosblog.com/wp-conten...ature-list.jpg
What good is a removed applique if it leaves little holes or rusty clips on the entire tailgate :-(

Last edited by Eddy : 23rd September 2014 at 23:09. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread.
Old 24th September 2014, 00:20   #724
BHPian

2014 Mahindra Scorpio Facelift (W105). EDIT: Scoop pics on page 36!

The lamps And design seem to be copied (inspired) from a dodge charger.

2014 Mahindra Scorpio Facelift (W105). EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 7.98 lakhs-imageuploadedbyteambhp1411498216.998141.jpg

Doesn't suit a large car like the Scorpio. Won't be surprised though if this becomes the new icon of the ' guntha mantris'

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP

Last edited by torquecurve : 24th September 2014 at 00:21.
Old 24th September 2014, 01:00   #725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferruccio View Post
Even the 3rd row of seats with side airbags. I doubt whether any vehicle on earth comes with those. If someone knows there is one, I'd love to know!
Most MPVs with side and curtain airbags cover the 3d row as well - case in point - our own home grown Tata Aria has curtain airbags which cover the entire length of the car. Please see the 'safety section' on the Tata Aria website for a picture of this.
prashanthyr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2014, 12:42   #726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
I am a H-U-G-E fan of the Scorpio.

Have owned and extensively driven -

* 1st Gen Scorpio 2.6
* 2nd Gen Scorpio 2.6 CRDe
* 3rd Gen Scorpio 2.2 mHawk

I have even driven (short trip) the petrol Scorpio (Rev 116).

Have never owned the Scorpio Refresh (4th Gen) but have driven it and I can vouch for the fact that each and every iteration of the Scorpio was better than the previous one.

While the first one was robust, mechanically strong and powerful (back in 2003), the CRDe engine bought in the much needed refinement to the Scorpio. But this engine was still heavy and affected the handling and ride of the Scorpio. The change from leaf springs to coil springs in the rear made a considerable improvement to the ride quality but the biggest improvement in the history of Scorpio's existence was the wonderful and sweet mHawk motor. I have never driven a sweeter diesel engine. It was just perfectly mated to that gearbox. The Refresh variant refreshed the looks, especially the front and rear bumpers were improved considerably. That said, Scorpio has one of the best front seats with those independent arm rests, you literally feel like the king of the road. I cannot say for sure but I have felt that the ride quality in the Scorpio Refresh has improved considerably over the older mHawk.

So, to summarize, Mahindra has slowly and steadily improved the Scorpio over the years... As a Scorpio fan, what I see in these pictures is not encouraging. But, I am hoping that this looks better in flesh than what these pictures suggest.

What I do like are the improved interiors which look considerably more premium and what I do hope is that the mechanical changes have transformed the ride quality and handling to a great extent.
It's a matter of priorities.
If features and modern technology are your priority then sure every Scorpio has been better than it's predecessor.

But if Reliabilty, longevity and sturdiness is your priority then the Non-CRDE Scorpio rules. First Clutch overall is required past 1.2 lac kms. I know of 2003-2005 Scorpios which have done 3-5 lac kms without an issue. Best thing is no ECU - No laptop required, any mechanic can handle it. On the other hand show me one Mhawk whose clutch has not had a problem till a lac kms.

So for me the Reliability is the top priority, I have a 2003 Non-CRDE scorpio, and it has been totally reliable even through my 3 trips to Leh. Now that I am looking to upgrade, Mahindra is out, because of the too many niggles with the sensors, electronics etc in the current generation of vehicles and the terrible Service Centers.

Styler

Last edited by Styler : 24th September 2014 at 12:43.
Styler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2014, 12:43   #727
Senior - BHPian

Aren't the scoop pics on p36 exclusive to t-bhp ? I saw the same pics on carwale with the carwale watermark.

http://www.carwale.com/news/14202-ma...re-launch.html
Old 24th September 2014, 12:59   #728
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Now that I am looking for an upgrade, Mahindra is out, because of the too many niggles with the sensors, ec in the current generation of vehicles and the terrible Service Centers.

Styler
Which other 4X4 vehicle in this budget performs better in the department you have mentioned?
Old 24th September 2014, 14:01   #729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Which other 4X4 vehicle in this budget performs better in the department you have mentioned?

My current Scorpio is a 2WD and I don't really need a 4WD. In my last trip to Leh, a friend's Nissan XTrail with a 4WD got stuck in the sand and my 2WD Scorpio had to pull it out.

A W6 / W8 Scorpio is going to cost 13-15 lacs

Instead I am considering the following :
1 New Innova,
2. A used 1-2 year old Pajero Sport for around 16-18 lacs.
3. A used 1-3 years old Fortuner.
4. New Duster / Nissan Terrano
Old 24th September 2014, 14:20   #730
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
My current Scorpio is a 2WD and I don't really need a 4WD. In my last trip to Leh, a friend's Nissan XTrail with a 4WD got stuck in the sand and my 2WD Scorpio had to pull it out.
That may be a one off case and the X-Trail isn't your traditional SUV with a low range. There are videos on our forum where a 4WD has rescued a 2WD, but you are the first to claim an opposite.

Not that I don't buy this, but it is a very rare scenario. And if your 2WD could do this, imagine a 4WD.

Quote:
A W6 / W8 Scorpio is going to cost 13-15 lacs
Well, the new top end will be S10 and I believe it should not cost more than 12.50L ex-showroom.

Quote:
1. New Innova
2. A used 1-2 year old Pajero Sport for around 16-18 lacs.
3. A used 1-3 years old Fortuner.
4. New Duster / Nissan Terrano
That is your personal opinion, as new, the said contenders aren't a true alternative. Anyways, to each, his own.
Old 24th September 2014, 15:23   #731
BHPian

Hi all,

Came across this video on a Facebook group, check it out. Hitler reacts to Scorpio launch! :P

Check it out
300 KMPH is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th September 2014, 17:56   #732
BHPian

Funny subtitles. Hitler must be even madder now that he has seen the pics of new Scorpio.
Old 24th September 2014, 17:59   #733
BHPian

2014 Mahindra Scorpio Facelift (W105). EDIT: Scoop pics on page 36!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300 KMPH View Post
Hi all,

Came across this video on a Facebook group, check it out. Hitler reacts to Scorpio launch! :P

Check it out

@300kmph.... This looks hilarious ! Would have been a little more worthy if he had seen the pics of the all new Scorpio and gone OMG !! But then... He doesn't go bonkers in that movie. But its nice. By the way, i liked what Mahindra has done to the face. It is the rear that has gone bad. It could still have been OK, if they had stayed away from those grab handles.

I used to drive the CRDe Scorpio till recently. It used to give me nightmares the day before a highway trip. Got a chance to drive the 2014 Scorpio. It was not bad as i thought it would be. In fact i felt it a little better than the 2013 Safari (not the Storme)... So the new iteration would be better to drive for sure. But the rear has become a joke. Wish they get rid of the grab handles and replace it with something else. A completely black plastic piece would gel well with the new plastic claddings at the rear. Would have looked more elegant ! I love the Scorpio for the fact that it is home grown and is decently reliable. Never had a problem with breaking down in the middle of a trip. For me, that is all that matters. Same reason as to why i love my Vista. It has never let me down; neither on a bloody long trip nor on a last minute short trip. Both the cars have never had grave issues that they had to be carried away in a tow truck. :P

Cheers to Mahindra and hope they replace those grab handles with something better !!

Last edited by benbsb29 : 25th September 2014 at 03:40. Reason: Video embed removed from quoted post for benefit of mobile users.
Old 24th September 2014, 18:38   #734
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
That may be a one off case and the X-Trail isn't your traditional SUV with a low range. There are videos on our forum where a 4WD has rescued a 2WD, but you are the first to claim an opposite.

Not that I don't buy this, but it is a very rare scenario. And if your 2WD could do this, imagine a 4WD.
A 4WD rescuing a 2WD is no wonder given the extra traction and control, but I myself have pulled out a Range Rover which got struck during a stream crossing in the ghats. We were a 3 car convoy, the Fortuner AWD which sailed over the rocks and water, I crossed in my Scorpio Vlx 2WD with some effort, the Range Rover got its wheels spinning in the slush, and with the limited space available to turn back I reversed and we were able to pull out the Rover using a towing rope.

However, given my limited off roading requirements I prefer a 2WD and touchwood till date I have not been let down wherever I have ventured.
Old 24th September 2014, 19:46   #735
BHPian

BTW guys, just noticed, minor designs of the back also seem to be similar to the Safari Storme Ladakh Edition concept:
2014 Mahindra Scorpio Facelift (W105). EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 7.98 lakhs-1202604d1391623492tatamotorsautoexpo20142.jpg

The back of the new Scorpio is flat but the visual design looks to have some elements IMO.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks