Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2014, 19:08   #931
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2014 Mahindra Scorpio Facelift (W105). EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 7.98 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post

I managed to snap a few pictures of the third row front facing model. The seats at the rear are a pain to get into and out and they have no leg room whatsoever, they are definitely not for average size males. Having said that, must appreciate the fact that maybe this is the only vehicle where even the last row of seats come with a drop-down arm rest!
Any improvements to leg room ? Old scorpio was not known for its leg room !!

Apart from the looks, after seeing the pricing and in comparison to competition, I feel M&M still has a winner. Scorpio already makes decent numbers. They will be glad if they can add another 1000 per month
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2014, 02:57   #932
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Did a test drive of the New Scorpio today. 10+ kms S10 varient.

1) Suspension and ride is much better than previously.
2) The vehicle does not wobble and bounce like earlier.
3) Gear shift is decent.
4) Front and rear visibility is acceptable. Front infact is as good as it gets.
5) It can be driven about in the wrong gear for long. Say third upto almost standstill at speed breakers and then back again.
6) The engine is fun in the city and the steering light enough. One goes up to about 80_90 quite fast but then progress is slowed down due to absence of 6th gear and it being only 120 HP instead of 140.
7) Over all fund to drive city vehicle. Storme is better on the highways though.
8) Turning radius is good.
9) Screen is too not clear due to the angle.
10) Max queries are for s10 in white.
11) 4 variants were displayed but all white.
12) Door handles don't feel like those worthy of a 15 L vehicle. W6 XUV is a better deal than the S10 Scorpio in my view.
13) Test drive was with a lady sales person at Galaria on Thane Ghodbunder Road. She was among the best informed sales persons I have met along all vehicles I have driven. A bit positive.
14) Looks decent on the exterior but I personally feel Red and Blue are nice colours. But from a distance it is too much like the previous Scorpio.
15) Seats are comfortable but absence of Leather on seats and Steering makes the variant feel overpriced.
16) The lower variants miss out on too much so would suggest s6 plus or s10 as best options.
17) but seriously rather than s8 or s10 a XUV or Storme makes more sense to me.
18) It is fun to drive in moderate traffic but Average at higher speeds.
19) Test vehicle did not have 4X4.
20) ACC. Satnav, reverse assist, eyebrow led, driver height adjustment are limited to s10.
21) Middle row seat too was comfortable and the front row is fine even for 6 footers who are well built like me. I in fact did not keep the seat at the rear most position and brought it ahead. It is more spacious in width as well compared to the outgoing model.
22) Storage compartments are missing and a big -ve.
23) Mobile holder and bottle holder plastics on the rear door felt very flimsy. The door handles on the inside too were not great to touch.
24) The power window buttons on the door pads are laid a bit too further back compared to where the hands land.
25) 5 adults can travel in a lot of comfort and at most a child at the back. Xylo, Ertiga and Innova are better people movers if more people have to be transported.
Overall it does not seem as much VFM as made out to be in general due to the starting S2 variant ex showroom price.

Last edited by ACM : 28th September 2014 at 03:06.
ACM is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 28th September 2014, 03:45   #933
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
5) It can be driven about in the wrong gear for long. Say third upto almost standstill at speed breakers and then back again.
did you happen to see the autocar show on TV?

Quote:
Overall it does not seem as much VFM as made out to be in general due to the starting S2 variant ex showroom price.
yes, earlier scorpio base models used to start around ~7.2 lakhs. The mid variants used to have key functional features in older model.
Old 28th September 2014, 07:18   #934
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Did a test drive of the New Scorpio today. 10+ kms S10 varient.
6) The engine is fun in the city and the steering light enough. One goes up to about 80_90 quite fast but then progress is slowed down due to absence of 6th gear and it being only 120 HP instead of 140.
18) It is fun to drive in moderate traffic but Average at higher speeds.
At least the ongoing Scorpio doesn’t get any short of breath until say 120-130 kmph, beyond which I don’t push these SUVs on Indian roads. Mind you I simply don’t get to hear any “engine” noise inside the cabin at these speeds. How many kms you did on a highway and till what speed you pushed the Scorpio ?
Quote:
16) The lower variants miss out on too much so would suggest s6 plus or s10 as best options.
17) but seriously rather than s8 or s10 a XUV or Storme makes more sense to me.
Could you elaborate on how does Storme make “more sense” here. Thanks
Quote:
25) 5 adults can travel in a lot of comfort and at most a child at the back. Xylo, Ertiga and Innova are better people movers if more people have to be transported.
You think an Ertiga has the space advantage over a Scorpio in the 3rd row?
Old 28th September 2014, 08:34   #935
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Better interiors quality included, space, ride and handling, A/C performance for the passengers, more powerful engine and it even looks better. As far as I am concerned, Scorpio isn't a competition at all.

P.S. Enough off topic. Lets compare them in a thread that is meant for it.
Isn't OT at all. A product will be compared. But, compare now with the launched Scorpio.

And coming to rrsteer point, I was not replying, as I was traveling and had handed over my vehicle's key in exchange for a Storme EX (we were a two car convoy over a distance of 500+ kms, my first drive of the Storme is documented in the Storme thread as well)

The only distinct advantage where the Storme has is cruise ability. You won't feel the need for 6th gear till about 110 (~2,200 revs on the tacho), but the 2.2 on the Scorpio is more refined.

And if you read my comments with a biased pov, it will come across that way, sorry, can't do anything about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
You have asked another person if he has driven the new Scorpio, have you driven the Storme at all?

If you have, it is hard to believe your statement as a non partisan one. But of course if you have a personal preference for Scorpio, I do understand your point (bias).
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2014, 09:35   #936
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
1) Suspension and ride is much better than previously.
2) The vehicle does not wobble and bounce like earlier.
Did you get a chance to drive it over bad/pot holed roads? From my personal experience, behaviour on properly tarred roads was acceptable, but every time I had to go off the beaten path or go off-road, the occupants used to get thrashed from side to side violently. Hope this has been addressed in the latest version.

Quote:
7) Over all fund to drive city vehicle. Storme is better on the highways though.
In my opinion, this primarly due to the following reasons:
a) Better suspension
b) More powerful engine allowing for taller 5th gear.
c)More interior space allowing occupants to sit in more comfort and feel less claustrophobic.

Quote:
11) 4 variants were displayed but all white.
Did you get a chance to check out interiors of the S4?
Old 28th September 2014, 11:24   #937
BHPian

I find ride quality and rear space to be the most critical factors (personal opinion)- for those who have driven both vehicles, how do these compare with the Duster?
C'estlavie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2014, 12:19   #938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kratos453 View Post
I was not aware that the side facing seats were associated with MUVs. As far as I know Ertiga, Mobilio, Innova, Enjoy, Evalia are all front facing.
I watched this video and immediately watched the review of the Safari Storme, back to back. I don't think TATA pays journalists, in going with their philosophy of running a clean organisation.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 28th September 2014 at 12:21. Reason: Video link removed
sasi405 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2014, 12:47   #939
BHPian

As much as Mahindra want to deny it they did not enhance the wheelbase because they did not want to make sheet metal changes across the profile, roof not to forget the desire to retain the same doors. A slightly longer wheelbase would have given some more room to the Mahindra Engineers more leeway to tune the suspension further, Going by the review low to mid speed ride has improved so has the stability but the high speed vertical movement is something they have not been able to address fully.

Kudos to Mahindra for making a serious attempt at refreshing the Scorpio but i feel they could have taken a few more steps to make the transformation complete. The knee room and leg room is pretty identical which is obvious as there has been no change in the wheel base.

The Gear box is not a revolutionary one as is been touted by Mahindra instead it is a carryover one from the new Xylo. Pretty much every review out there agrees that the gear shifting is still notchy and requires effort. As far as i know the reason Mahindra initially did not go in for the 140bhp and 320nm tune was because of the fact that the Mahindra gearbox was not capable of handling the 320nm of torque. So now that Mahindra themselves advertise that the new gearbox is 320nm rated then why did they reduce the torque by 10nm instead of uprating it. If not going the whole hog they could have at-least upped the torque a little which would have added to the macho image of the Scorpio. Now power is not exactly meant to drive at illegal speeds but the additional torque comes in handy when you need to get out of a tricky situation like overtaking vehicle on single lane highways. A high torque motor also enable lesser gear changes and also enable the engineers to adopt more longer gear ratios for relaxed cruising.

Don't get me wrong this has been a good effort by Mahindra but some of the ergonomic issues like no space to operate the seat height adjust with doors closed, no room to access the door pockets with doors closed, a single bottle holder for front seats, shiny hard plastics with hard edges and flimsy door handles. You may be thinking i am hyper critical but please do not let the price of the lower variants fool you. The fully loaded top variants are not exactly value for money. Yes it is not expensive but Mahindra need to realize any vehicle which costs more than a million rupees on the road need to have some minimum standards as far as quality is concerned. Small things like the LED parking light could easily have been a DRL. THE NVH has not exactly undergone a sea change.

The automotive scene in India is not exactly standing still. Mechanical changes are not something you do on an annual basis and hence i feel Mahindra have missed a trick by not going the full length with respect to the Scorpio. I said it in my earlier post i am more concerned with what lies beneath the skin and the quality control and going by that yardstick i think Mahindra have come up a little short. You simply cannot short change a Vehicle which costs over twelve lakh rupees on road in the name of cannibalization.

As the hype and euphoria settles down i think it will get clearer that lower variants of XUV are a much better proposition both in terms of value, quality and status. Scorpio is a fantastic product without a shadow of doubt but people tend to forget this was the first significant mechanical upgrade apart from the switch to mhawk engines after a decade. My post may across as a harsh one but i feel people have choices in the market today. Yes the Scorpio will continue to sell around its customary numbers but this refresh will not help them expand the volume cos this product is mainly aimed to its core audience and not at bringing new category of customers in.

I think the amount of time this upgrade was under development made me have higher expectations which is why i can't help feel a little underwhelmed. Now such a long post without even discussing the looks which need a final mention which as i mentioned earlier are not everybody's cup of tea. I am a fan of clean uncluttered look and the Scorpio has gone for a more flashy,cluttered, in you face kind of look which is something going out of fashion globally.

Last edited by needforspeed88 : 28th September 2014 at 12:53.
needforspeed88 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th September 2014, 13:45   #940
BHPian

Saw the TVC of New Scorpio in you tube, was not able to appreciate the commercial like their design philosophy(but the visuals were stunning)

Am I alone or fellow members feel it too

The old campaign of we live young we live free was rocking in every other way
Self Driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2014, 15:18   #941
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
Had a bit of time to spare so did a bit of editing (on my Galaxy Note phone) to show what I wish the Scorpio would have looked like.
I over all liked the refresh however:

1. They could have at least lost that roof antenna which is prone to lead to leaking in the cabin specially in high rainfall areas like Mumbai.

2. Provided turn indicators on the OVRM's

3. Explored a gear box from XUV5OO from instead of using the Xylo gear box.

But still yes, I think XUV5OO is finally off the list of vehicles being considered, so next car will again be the Scorpio S10, unless the gods are benevolent and provide enough moolah for the Fortuner (even the base version).

Can anyone update me on the following:

1. Have they provided proper storage place / lock box for the tool box & jack
2. How are the wheel spanner and tommy placed (still hanging behind the last bench or some proper location)

Last edited by m_upreti : 28th September 2014 at 15:23.
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2014, 15:47   #942
BHPian

On Road prices in Bangalore.
Attached Thumbnails
2014 Mahindra Scorpio Facelift (W105). EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 7.98 lakhs-3c5f037a4e04b491.jpg  

Old 28th September 2014, 16:02   #943
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_rajesh View Post
did you happen to see the autocar show on TV?
yes, earlier scorpio base models used to start around ~7.2 lakhs. The mid variants used to have key functional features in older model.
Nope have yet not seen the Auto Car Show. The reason I checked for 3rd gear pick up after stopping for a speed breaker is that In my Aria I just could not pick up from third infact at times would stall even in second. So this is a major advantage. That said the Storme too lets one pick up from post speed bump speeds in third gear the Scorpio might be slightly better or worse since it is a while since I last drove the Storme, but definitely better than the Aria in this aspect.

As far as the Variants is concerned, one need to realize that my thought process comes post Aria Pride 4X4, Laura L&K and EcoSport Titanium AT so I do value interior comfort features a fair bit and stuff like ACC are important to me. Infact that is one reason I did not pick up the Storme and instead went in for the EcoSport AT after the Aria. Now the s10 variant is the only one that matches up to a reasonable extent to these earlier vehicle that I have owned but the interior quality was a let down and somehow not VFM for me. Yet I did love driving it for sure and maybe the vehicle could grow on you. the driver seating dynamics were quite good and front visibility great. Brakes were decent and acceptable to me. But I did not try panic braking. The seating position is very commanding and rare at that price point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
At least the ongoing Scorpio doesn’t get any short of breath until say 120-130 kmph, beyond which I don’t push these SUVs on Indian roads. Mind you I simply don’t get to hear any “engine” noise inside the cabin at these speeds. How many kms you did on a highway and till what speed you pushed the Scorpio ?

Could you elaborate on how does Storme make “more sense” here. Thanks

You think an Ertiga has the space advantage over a Scorpio in the 3rd row?
Again was being relative to past vehicles (mentioned above and in my signature) that I have owned or experienced for long. I took it to about 120 and did not like the transition from 90-120, yes possible and doable but a bit laboured - relative ofcourse. That said compared to the previous Scorpio it is better in that aspect as well. It could also be that the suspension while fine at lower speeds did not inspire me enough to give the accelerator a firm enough push or maybe the engine was not run in enough as was among the first to take it for a drive at that showroom. (Infact asked that to the persons giving the test drive but that was possibly a bit too technical for them)

Storme interiors felt plush (though low on features) the door panels and seats all made if feel like an higher segment vehicle (VX vs s8 / s10 i.e.) Even the ride in the Storme was better and I do prefer the longer dash front. (but again I prefer it to be long and high - the Scoprio is high, the Storme is long and the Aria is long and high and closeting in that sense. If I had to choose between long and high I would go for Long. To make it relative Pajero SFX too is a high dash design similar to the Scorpio while the Fortuner is long like in the Storme.) The Dash and door pads are hard to touch plastics and the handles have too much of a plastic feel. Storme is better in that aspect but it too can be even better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Did you get a chance to drive it over bad/pot holed roads? From my personal experience, behaviour on properly tarred roads was acceptable, but every time I had to go off the beaten path or go off-road, the occupants used to get thrashed from side to side violently. Hope this has been addressed in the latest version.

In my opinion, this primarly due to the following reasons:
a) Better suspension
b) More powerful engine allowing for taller 5th gear.
c)More interior space allowing occupants to sit in more comfort and feel less claustrophobic.

Did you get a chance to check out interiors of the S4?
I saw the s2, s6, s8, s10. On second thoughts the seats are not too different but the arm rest in front row were only in s8 and s10 and the driver seat height adjustment very oddly only in s10 - that should have been in from s4 variant itself. How much more would it have cost them?

I drove on a bit of the side dirty and muddy road and the vehicle was acceptably comfortable on that. No real rough road drive though.

To add to my previous post let me clarify that the New Scorpio is a good vehicle and a major improvement over the previous one but feels short on interior quality and features in the lower variant while the upper one is too high priced. I would have preferred if the top variant was 1-1.5L less OTR.

Those looking to go offroad should consider the s4 4X4. It is in some ways the best price and the toughest 4X4 in that price range the Storme VX 4X4 competes with the s10 4X4 and here either can be selected but that is for a very limited set of people. Individual owners selecting the s10 over say the W6 / W8 XUV are to an extent thinking from the heart and the XUV does seem to make more sense. (But I don't like the W4 XUV that much)

I also did not care too much for the roof (interior) - too bland. The water drains on the outside of the exterior top though are not really noticed too much - maybe we have got used to them.

I also feel that one need to rush to get a back colour to camouflage the rear black cladding in time we will get used to it and infact like it hence contrast would not be too bad. Even in the Storme which has a black cladding on the rear door, it does look good in contrasting light colours like white and silver too.

Last edited by ACM : 28th September 2014 at 16:09.
ACM is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th September 2014, 18:11   #944
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed88 View Post
Yes the Scorpio will continue to sell around its customary numbers but this refresh will not help them expand the volume cos this product is mainly aimed to its core audience and not at bringing new category of customers in.
I have been to the showroom a couple of time since the launch specifically in the weekend and to the Times Auto show in Bangalore.

Traditionally Scorpio customer in the south are as you rightly said, stubble, white shirt, gold bracelet...ect ect, we know and don't want to elaborate.

The interesting observation after spending time at the showroom is as below-

First set:
Mix crowd walks in
Scorpio types head straight to the car usually 2-3 men.Take a good look, discuss, go for a trial, take the quotation and leave
Xylo and XUV buyers are with spouses, kids sometimes mothers & fathers with opening and closing of everything with hinges in the car.

Next-
Once the bunch of men have left, the family crowd move towards the "New Scorpio". I heard an elder parent say " Look at the dicky, there is so much space to sleep after the seats folded" from his fiat and amby days of opening the tail gate.

Kids were climbing to the bench seat on the rear and spouses perched in the co drivers seat.

This is only one case and I can narrate few more in the 30 odd minutes during one trip. Trip after trip to the showroom with friends and known people were projecting a different trend. Only sales data will prove the revised customer profile for the New Scorpio.

My views are purely from my observation and not intended to counter your views or perception.
Miyer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2014, 20:33   #945
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Can anyone update me on the following:

1. Have they provided proper storage place / lock box for the tool box & jack
2. How are the wheel spanner and tommy placed (still hanging behind the last bench or some proper location)
Don't tell me about this man. What a royal pain. In my case the jackie lever & wheel spanner used to attached with velcro being the front facing third row, and due to lack of space I used to mostly have the third row removed and kept in the garage. So, basically the jack lever and wheel spanner is to be kept running loose in the dickie/boot area. I too hope they have found some permanent place for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyer View Post
Traditionally Scorpio customer in the south are as you rightly said, stubble, white shirt, gold bracelet...ect ect, we know and don't want to elaborate.
Scorpio has always sold average of about 3000 units a month. It is pretty commendable that Mahindra is able to find 3000 "stubble, white shirt, gold bracelet...ect ect," customers for the last 10 years or so.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 29th September 2014 at 07:58. Reason: Last line deleted. You made your point anyway.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed