Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2012, 15:05   #1
Senior - BHPian

2014 Mahindra Scorpio Facelift (W105). EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 7.98 lakhs

Mod Note: Team-BHP's Scorpio Review has been uploaded at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread.

I had gone to get my scorpio serviced at a Mahindra A.S.S in NCR (I wont name it since that may give out the identity of the person who shared this information with me.

Since I was planning to hang around and get the Scorpio serviced in my presence, I struck up a conversation with the workshop in-charge. He was a true petrol head and we hit it off pretty soon. During lunch hour, I ordered a pizza and asked him to join me for lunch.

Over lunch, we were discussing the merits and demerits of XUV ( he told me that i did a good thing bynot buying XUV since the service guys are fed up with the number of complaints coming in the vehicle- mostly to do with electronics and the suspension- and truth be told, I did count at least 5 XUVs in the service center with their dash board ripped open- not a pretty sight for a car lover :( , and one unregstered XUV with its engine completely ripped apart, the exhaust dismanteled and lying on the rear seat- dunno what is the story of that one!). Anyhow, the talk veered around to the differences between the CRDE and Mhawk Scorpios. That is when he shared a little nugget.

He said, that they have confirmed info from M&M that there is an all new scorpio being launched around Diwali. The only details he shared were that:
it will be the same platform
same tune M-hawk engine
The shape will be heavily revised
The suspension is all new
The gearbox will be vastly upgraded
Disc brakes all round and
completely revamped interiors.

The XUV price will gradually be increased further and the new scorp will be about 50K more than the existing one. He told me that this is absolutely confirmed news and they will shotly be receiving training shcedules for their mechs on the new scorp.

DISCLAIMER- I have no sources in M&M so have no means of authenticating the veracity of this news. anyone who has links in M&M please try to confirm this.....

Last edited by GTO : 30th October 2014 at 14:19. Reason: Adding link to review :)
himanshugoswami is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 28th May 2012, 15:09   #2
BANNED

Re: New Scorpio set for Diwali Launch

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
He said, that they have confirmed info from M&M that there is an all new scorpio being launched around Diwali. The only details he shared were that:
it will be the same platform
same tune M-hawk engine
The shape will be heavily revised
The suspension is all new
The gearbox will be vastly upgraded
Disc brakes all round and
completely revamped interiors.
Now this, if true, is great news. M&M seems to have gotten most boxes clicked here and if the Scorpio can be made to lose some of its bumpiness, space premium and have some more creature comforts like an auto ac, touchscreen sound system/MID, an individual rear air conditioner and the like, it would surely sell.
Old 28th May 2012, 15:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

This sounds like good news.. but can M&M Release a new shaped vehicle without anyone spotting test mules running around the country?

unless its another "Refreshed" version. With better interiors, engine, etc.

any change in shape would cause a change in vehicle aerodynamics and handling - which would then require one to test it A LOT prior to launch right?
madan80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2012, 15:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
This sounds like good news.. but can M&M Release a new shaped vehicle without anyone spotting test mules running around the country?

unless its another "Refreshed" version. With better interiors, engine, etc.

any change in shape would cause a change in vehicle aerodynamics and handling - which would then require one to test it A LOT prior to launch right?
Madan even I wondered anout that. My guess is that the exteriors may be limited to a refresh- not a bad thing really since the Scorpio's looks are not really a negative, unlike the original xylo. It is top heavy, but short of a major redesign, i dont think anything can be done there. So expect new grilles, lights, tail lights, some revisions to the tail gate, at the most. What i am excited about is the mechanical changes.

If true, then the new Scoprio will in all likelihood replace my SX4, which is coming up to be years old now.
Old 28th May 2012, 15:26   #5
MAS
Senior - BHPian

This would do a world of good for the Scorpio. But as others have pointed out, if it is an all-new shape with an all-new suspension that is slated to be released in Diwali this year, then, we should have spotted test mules.

The reasons are
a. Xylo, even for the face-lift, was itself spotted many times
b. XUV, was spotted two years before the launch.

I think this is going to be another "refreshed" version.

OT: Does it meant that XUV, inspite of 2 years of real world testing has run into problems, which is not only irritating the owners, but also the service centres.
Old 28th May 2012, 15:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Now this, if true, is great news. M&M seems to have gotten most boxes clicked here and if the Scorpio can be made to lose some of its bumpiness, space premium and have some more creature comforts like an auto ac, touchscreen sound system/MID, an individual rear air conditioner and the like, it would surely sell.
That might make it bring along the electronic glitches of the XUV?
I hope they achieve stability in electronics so that they can reuse most of the underlying stuff in different vehicles.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2012, 18:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

re: 2014 Mahindra Scorpio Facelift (W105). EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 7.98 lakhs

ACI has mentioned that the new Scorpio will have a heavily modified chassis of the current Scorpio and a completely new and altered body to improve space. they have also mentioned that it will have a 140 bhp mHawk engine and that M&M is trying to improve the ride quality.

Now, if all these changes are to be incorporated, it is like designing a new vehicle from scratch. Well, almost. So since test mules are yet to be seen, I dont think the new Scorpio will be seen anytime soon.

Yes, there is a slight possibility that, before the all new Scorpio is launched, M&M must be considering to give the Scorpio Refresh a mild facelift. That does not require extensive testing...
Old 28th May 2012, 18:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

From what I have gathered, it seems M&M is determined to completely annihilate TML in the SUV segment- whatever little the Aria was selling has been decimated by teh XUV and now, if these changes are indeed incorporated in the Scorpio, then TML will surely find the Storme in the eye of a storm!!

As it is the Scorpio is a sales success and has tremendous brand equity, with these improvements, it will certainly cannibalise the sales of the XUV as well.
himanshugoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2012, 19:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

there was a mention in Autocar Mag too about an all new scorpio. I honestly doubt if it would be launched by Diwali as there are no test mules spotted. A Design change would have to be approved by ARAI and it does take time. However, if it launches by Diwali, Its really great/ It is almost 3 years with the current model and its high-time for a facelift.

I would like to see the following:
  • Front facing last row seats & bucket offered out-of-the-box (Not made against booking / request).
  • Slightly longer wheelbase and boot-space to accommodate luggage.
  • AC Vents thowing air on Face and adjustable (A.K.A any other car)
  • 3 Row AC
  • Curtain Airbags
  • DVD Player
  • Hill Assist (Maybe )
  • Projector Headlamps

Last edited by scopriobharath : 28th May 2012 at 19:04.
scopriobharath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2012, 19:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
OT: Does it meant that XUV, inspite of 2 years of real world testing has run into problems, which is not only irritating the owners, but also the service centres.
Maybe there's something wrong with what the Indian manufacturers are focusing on with their testing or their testing methods. The Tata Aria was spotted so many times in so many places before it was finally launched. And still major issues are being reported in Arias - as can be seen from the ownership reports on our forum.
Old 28th May 2012, 19:42   #11
Senior - BHPian

This is sure interesting to know. After almost 11 years they are thinking of addressing the boat like behaviour of the Scorpio, that is nice.

I have had one in 2004, which was an improved version of the original. It was nice at "that" time, but the rock 'N' roll behaviour was the most irritating part of the ownership, so I sacked it after 9k on the odo

I would be happy to see the suspension issue addressed. The engine on the current Scorpio has most owners happy - so with another 20 horses it should be even better, specially since it is to get all around disc brakes..

Well, let us wait & see, how much of an improvement it is over the existing Scorpio..the XUV horror stories abound, I hear something every now & then, hopefully the Scorpio will not inherit those traits !

Cheers
Old 28th May 2012, 19:54   #12
Senior - BHPian

Ricky, from what i hear, there will be no increase in the engine power since the current gearbox cant handle it.
Old 28th May 2012, 22:07   #13
BHPian

The Diwali launch may be purely speculation.
If it is the same platform with extended body, then test mules would have been out and running by now. At least to test the new gearbox-engine mating and suspension tests if not the electronic gizmos.
So it could be diwali next for all you know.
Old 29th May 2012, 10:13   #14
BHPian

On my wish list would be rear mounted spare wheel. Safari has let go of it and scorpio can gain it as many SUV buyers just love the rear mounted spare wheel and it enhances the SUVish look. Handling issues with the rear mounted wheel is an issue M&M should be able address.
Old 29th May 2012, 10:39   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
...an all new scorpio being launched around Diwali.
The all-new Scorpio has been in the pipeline for quite some time now, but a Diwali 2012 launch sounds way too optimistic. Diwali 2013 seems more like it. The mini-Xylo, OTOH, is probably slated for launch just before Diwali 2012.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks