Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2015, 17:51   #166
BHPian

Re: DSG reliability in Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI

The main issue with the mechatronics of the DSG gearbox (in particular the 7 speed gearbox) was that they initially used synthetic oil. In warm climates like India & part of China there were a lot of issues with the 7 speed DSG. After changing to mineral oil these issues have been sorted out.

Go for the 1.8 TSi, you will not regret. Take the extended warranty when you buy the car.
Old 12th November 2015, 18:04   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudden123 View Post
I was planning to buy Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI. I wanted to know what is the status of DSG reliability issues in the 7 speed 1.8 TSI. Some reviews suggest the issues have been sorted while others say it is still a problem. I wanted advice from forum members if it is too much of a risk to buy the petrol variant. Will the TDI 6 speed DSG be more reliable, although i prefer the petrol for the 180 bhp as well as better suspension.
Apart from some jerkiness in some gears (In the Polo/Vento TSI which uses the same DSG Box) that some owners reported (which has also been taken care of with software updates), have not seen any reports of full fledged failures.

Having said that, this can always be there at the back of your mind (at least it is there for me), but that does not prevent me from enjoying the car nor have regretted the decision (Mine is a Vento TSI).

Also don't think it can result in any major dangerous situation, you should not lose control of the car it self. I assume it can be a panicky situation if say the DSG stops responding in the middle of a highway drive.
Old 12th November 2015, 18:22   #168
ike
BHPian

I'd wait till a few cars with DQ200 complete a couple of hundred thousand KM before pronouncing it as very reliable. I refuse to believe that problems simply vanished right after switching to Mineral oil from fully synthetic.
ike is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2015, 18:50   #169
Senior - BHPian

IMHO, go for it if you do not plan a remap / upgrade later. I feel that any engine / GB related changes to this setup can be risky.

With the stock setup, I don't see any problem.
Old 12th November 2015, 19:03   #170
Senior - BHPian

Same million dollar questionil in my head too. I guess if there are folks who have done 100k km plus or close to 2 years, there inputs will build empirical confidence?
Old 12th November 2015, 19:27   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Same million dollar questionil in my head too. I guess if there are folks who have done 100k km plus or close to 2 years, there inputs will build empirical confidence?
Unfortunately no. When it comes to VW seven speed dry AT, older owners would not have a very happy feedback. Present generation ones are relatively better.

DQ200 should be good at stock speck. Very few have had problems in the recent times. Hope for the best and go forward with extended warranty. These machatronics failures tend to get good will warranty also after extended warranty.

If you plan to remap, go with a MT GB. This car can handle insane power. Very soon you may desire more.
Old 12th November 2015, 19:38   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Unfortunately no. When it comes to VW seven speed dry AT, older owners would not have a very happy feedback. Present generation ones are relatively better.
Well I am only talking of Octavia 1.8TSI owners - since it was launched in late 2013, there would be folks getting to 1.5 years or more.
The Octavia 1.8TSI makes more power than the older TSI and peak torque of 250NM in a much wider rev range (1250+ rpm), and the MQB mounting etc is different as well. So, I would be more interested specific to the 1.8TSI Octavia, just as the title says.
lancer_rit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2016, 22:27   #173
BHPian

Re: Skoda Superb DSG 7 Speed DQ200 failures- China gets official reaction, why not India?

I too am looking forward to buy new Skoda Superb Tsi 1.8 AT in L&K trim. Diesel version with 6 speed DSG gearbox is not available yet. I am planning to keep the car for longer than 4 years. Probably more like 6-7 years. I am not in a hurry to buy a new car but ride quality of this car is mind blowing and I don't wanna pay much more for a cramped car like Audi Q3. So my questions are -
1.how reliable is the DSG 7 speed gear box on this new Skoda superb in 2016?
2. how realistic am I when I expect a trouble free performance for next 6-7 years with a Skoda superb?
dezrskb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2016, 19:21   #174
BHPian

Re: Skoda Superb DSG 7 Speed DQ200 failures- China gets official reaction, why not India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
There has not been a case of complete failure reported (at least in this forum). There have been some jerking issues reported. Details in this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
I am in the same boat trying to decided. Would like to hear if there are more failures with 7DSG (esp in the Octavia 1.8TSI)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
All in all, I believe they have solved the mechatronic unit's typical failure problem by switching to mineral oil, but the gear box (particularly the dry clutch DQ200) still is not bulletproof!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKap View Post
I have the Vento TSI with the DQ200 7 speed DSG and I think the issues are a thing of the past. I hope I'm not jinxing my car with this but on a serious note, the number of issues reported are also few and far in between.
No offence to anyone but there has been an incident of 7 speed DSG trouble reported here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...hs-repair.html

Last edited by born_free : 13th December 2016 at 19:25.
born_free is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th December 2017, 19:11   #175
BHPian

Hi all,

I would like to share this development in my Superb TSI that has this gear box. It is over five and half year old and run for approx. 40,000 kms. It suddenly developed a Gear failure (mechtronix) and had to be towed to Skoda Authorised Service Center.

I did have extended warranty but that was upto four years. The good part of the news is that they have replaced the part free of cost. I did not have to argue for it or fight for it - they did it on their own.

The intriguing part was that there was complete radio silence from the service center for 8 to 10 days. Even when I called, I was told that an advisor will call and update you.

I am quite relieved and thankful to Skoda for providing the goodwill replacement. However, there would remain an apprehension that it should not happen again.
Quatro is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 08:39   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatro View Post
Hi all,

I would like to share this development in my Superb TSI that has this gear box. It is over five and half year old and run for approx. 40,000 kms. It suddenly developed a Gear failure (mechtronix) and had to be towed to Skoda Authorised Service Center.

I did have extended warranty but that was upto four years. The good part of the news is that they have replaced the part free of cost. I did not have to argue for it or fight for it - they did it on their own.

The intriguing part was that there was complete radio silence from the service center for 8 to 10 days. Even when I called, I was told that an advisor will call and update you.

I am quite relieved and thankful to Skoda for providing the goodwill replacement. However, there would remain an apprehension that it should not happen again.
Similar thing happened with my friend's Vento DSG also. During repair, it was told by service center that DSG mechatronics comes with 7 years warranty. He got it repaired for free. Probably that's the reason it was replaced free of cost under warranty.
Nicky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2018, 17:48   #177
BHPian

Igniting an older thread based on numerous search criteria.

I am planning to start looking at buying a skoda superb as a city car, minor upgrade from the tata nano I drive today. The models that are actually available are all 2004-2007 skoda superb 2.5TDI automatic cars. These were all rotodiesels with the unfairly placed bosch vp44 fuel pumps - please correct me if I am wrong.

The question I have though, is whether these models are plagued by mechatronic issues? Which gearbox did the first set of skoda superb diesels come with?

PS : I understand the upkeep of the skoda superb will be vastly different from a tata nano. A 20 lakh car will need 20 lakh car worth of maintenance is not lost on me.
Old 20th January 2019, 05:58   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrskb View Post
I too am looking forward to buy new Skoda Superb Tsi 1.8 AT in L&K trim. Diesel version with 6 speed DSG gearbox is not available yet. I am planning to keep the car for longer than 4 years. Probably more like 6-7 years. I am not in a hurry to buy a new car but ride quality of this car is mind blowing and I don't wanna pay much more for a cramped car like Audi Q3. So my questions are -
1.how reliable is the DSG 7 speed gear box on this new Skoda superb in 2016?
2. how realistic am I when I expect a trouble free performance for next 6-7 years with a Skoda superb?
Hey! Did you end up purchasing the car? I’d bought an MY18 Superb L&K 2.0 TDI, so just wanted to know your feedback in case you went ahead with the purchase.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 20th January 2019 at 07:40. Reason: Typo.
Old 26th February 2019, 16:26   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
I'd wait till a few cars with DQ200 complete a couple of hundred thousand KM before pronouncing it as very reliable. I refuse to believe that problems simply vanished right after switching to Mineral oil from fully synthetic.

Bumping up this old myth as a friend read about this today and asked me if this is true because I had owned the GT TSI for 4 years/44000km and currently own a GTI that's done 11000km in 1 year. Not sure which oil both of my DSGs have but I have another thoery: if you wash the car only once a month, it drastically increases the life of the DSG
anandpadhye is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th February 2019, 17:18   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Bumping up this old myth as a friend read about this today and asked me if this is true because I had owned the GT TSI for 4 years/44000km and currently own a GTI that's done 11000km in 1 year. Not sure which oil both of my DSGs have but I have another thoery: if you wash the car only once a month, it drastically increases the life of the DSG
Now that has to be the most relevant post ever.
RevJ is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed