Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2013, 16:15   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Superb DSG 7 Speed DQ200 failures- China gets official reaction, why not In

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
I was considering purchasing a Superb Elegance Diesel in Mumbai. Reading this thread has made me reconsider. Few questions: firstly, should i wait for the new model ? if yes, When will it arrive ? secondly, why cannot they offer the Diesel with a manual gearbox if the dsg has such an issue in our atmosphere ? third, is there a problem with the diesel auto gearbox as well as i would keep the car for atleast 7 years. i prefer the auto but if it has issues then definitely do not mind the manual gearbox.

Thank you for your answers.
Actually, manual gear box on petrol car is ok. But on diesel? Diesel cars inherently have a hard clutch pedal. Even if they are soft initially, they will harden up with passage of time. Diesel clutch is all the more reason why you should buy an AT. But, alas, Verna is the only diesel AT sedan you can buy and not a single hatchback.
Old 18th April 2013, 16:20   #47
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Superb DSG 7 Speed DQ200 failures- China gets official reaction, why not In

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
I was considering purchasing a Superb Elegance Diesel in Mumbai.
First of all the Diesel does not have the dry clutch DQ200 7 speed gearbox. It has a 6 Speed wet clutch gearbox. Secondly the 6 speed unit has negligible failure rate. So you can go for it with utmost confidence. Thirdly the new model has been unveiled in Europe but it will not hit Indian shores before the end of the year. Also the new model is just a facelift with some additional luxury features and underlying engineering and gearbox will remain the same.

Last edited by dkaile : 18th April 2013 at 16:23.
Old 18th April 2013, 23:38   #48
BHPian

Friends - I m planning to go with new polo tsi. I guess it comes with the infamous DQ200. The car would have 175nm torque. Would it be wise to skip this and go with my earlier booking of vento tdi hl ? On our forum people have been using vento for 80k kms no issues. But I see that sooner or later all this faulty dsg fails? And like I see India is a dumping ground for all outdated and poor technology where everyone in the world have uswd for ages and we in India go gung-ho about it. As much as I m excited to buy the tsi polo I feel I dont want to get carried away. Any thoughts?
Old 19th April 2013, 00:04   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontosa View Post
Friends - I m planning to go with new polo tsi. I guess it comes with the infamous DQ200. The car would have 175nm torque. Would it be wise to skip this and go with my earlier booking of vento tdi hl ? On our forum people have been using vento for 80k kms no issues. But I see that sooner or later all this faulty dsg fails? And like I see India is a dumping ground for all outdated and poor technology where everyone in the world have uswd for ages and we in India go gung-ho about it. As much as I m excited to buy the tsi polo I feel I dont want to get carried away. Any thoughts?
I'm in the same boat as you mate. So much so i like the Polo and the irresistible TSI engine, i'm really wary of the DQ200 and more so wary of the VW ASS.

I think its really going to be an informed compromise for those going for the Polo TSI between that powerful turbo petrol and the notorious DSG. Having said that, don't forget the DSG is not all negatives. It is one of the few AT boxes that can give you both the convenience of an AT as well as the driving pleasure, since its nothing but a dual clutch automated manual gear box in the true sense.

Waiting eagerly for that official review and searching for that few excuses to make the plunge.
Old 19th April 2013, 00:33   #50
BHPian

Some interesting read
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...vs.-dry-clutch...
Old 19th April 2013, 07:14   #51
KMT
BHPian

Frontosa- Vento has old school AT, not DSG.
Old 19th April 2013, 09:08   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Friends - I m planning to go with new polo tsi. Would it be wise to skip this and go with my earlier booking of vento tdi hl ?
The heart says the Polo TSI DSG but the mind says to stick with the Vento TDI HL. I would wait for at least 6 months before blocking my money on the Polo so that we can get a real world reliability reports of the infamous DSG. BTW I too have booked a Vento TDI HL MT just recently.

Last edited by dkaile : 19th April 2013 at 09:09.
Old 19th April 2013, 09:13   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Tried googling for problematic DQ 200 equipped Polos and came across this interesting blog.

Apparently in Sweden VW has advised taxi operating companies not buy vehicles with DSG7, as the high frequency of starts and stops cause the clutches to wear prematurely. According to the writer, the Polo is the car with least number of failures, among all VW, Skoda and Seat models, prompting him to conclude that the lower power output of the Polo may the reason for this statistic.

Read the blog here http://touran.me/vw-dsg7-is-not-suit...axi-behaviour/
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2013, 09:14   #54
BHPian

Ok great then. So are you going to wait for 6 months and hold your vento booking? Btw for next 2 years I dont expect polo tsi to have any issues. I guess they start cropping up only after 40-50k kms. And its sad that we in india are getting this now, it shoukd have come with polo from day 1. Worlwide issues are reported and this gearbox is the most notorious I guess.
Old 19th April 2013, 09:27   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok great then. So are you going to wait for 6 months and hold your vento booking? Btw for next 2 years I dont expect polo tsi to have any issues. I guess they start cropping up only after 40-50k kms. And its sad that we in india are getting this now, it shoukd have come with polo from day 1. Worlwide issues are reported and this gearbox is the most notorious I guess.
No way. I am going for the Vento immediately. Yes, this is one of the most notorious gearboxes from VW stable. These have failed in less than 20K kms in some Superbs the world over and have high failure rate in India. That it has less issues with lower torque engines is not an official explanation but seems likely. Still I would be wary of this gearbox especially in our hot and humid climate.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2013, 01:07   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhurules View Post

At the moment, my vehicle has been taken for up service at Gurudev Motors, Guindy Chennai. Will post an update upon hearing from them.

Regards,
Madhu
Hey, any update on your superb yet. Was it the notorious mechatronics again? Please do update us on what was done by the service centre guys and is everything ok now.
Old 23rd April 2013, 02:45   #57
BHPian

For VW, China is a major market. In fact VW is to China like what Maruti is to India. 5 of the top 10 best selling cars in China are from the VW stable. Besides they have more people who can afford cars and their laws are well, put it nicely - move it or lose it kinds. Whereas in India, we are still an emerging market and not as big as China. Besides India need VW more than VW need India. So they have the upper hand. Thus Skoda, being owned by VW may feel due to the small market of DSG Superbs, it is not worth the time and effort to make an official recall.

Cheers!
Rohan
Old 29th April 2013, 17:01   #58

An update on my post dated 30th March 2013.
Yes - it was the notorious mechatronics that failed. Was given a quote for 1.75L for replacement by the dealer.
Had no choice but to pursue Skoda to whatever extent possible. Prepared a brief that contained all the recall notices in various countries and/or press releases by VW offering either a voluntary recall or extended warranty.
Managed to get my case across to a very senior person in Skoda. Ever since he took up the case - the complete handling of my case was by him. Was PLEASANTLY SURPRISED at the ultra-professional and customer focused handling of the case by this gentleman. Made me at least feel good that someone at Skoda was responsive.

And Skoda replaced the unit free of cost - though it was not explicitly mentioned as a goodwill warranty. Downtime was close to 19 days but worth it!
Driven about 8-- Kms after the replacement and all seems fine.
Thanks a million for all those who called me immediately knowing that I was stranded.
Team-BHP rocks!!!

Madhu
madhurules is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 18:12   #59
BHPian

Good to know that the VW/Audi/Skoda Group are focussing a bit more on customers, especially at the senior level. This should set a precedent for the DSG 7 Speed Gearbox issues, if the crop up in India, not only on the Superb but on other models, as, when and if released with DSG 7 Speed Box.
Old 29th April 2013, 18:12   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
VW more than VW need India. So they have the upper hand. Thus Skoda, being owned by VW may feel due to the small market of DSG Superbs, it is not worth the time and effort to make an official recall.

Cheers!
Rohan
I beg your pardon but why does India need VW more than VW need India? I find it highly preposterous that we need to bend over backwards to keep VW happy, and I dont think its true. We just have lax law enforcement and a will to do absolutely nothing.
djpeesh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed