Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2014, 14:53   #136
BHPian

Re: Skoda Superb DSG 7 Speed DQ200 failures- China gets official reaction, why not In

Found this on Youtube

rahulsharma2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2014, 17:40   #137
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Superb DSG 7 Speed DQ200 failures- China gets official reaction, why not In

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulsharma2008 View Post
Melissa Ryan's case is a little misleading in this thread. Her Golf GTI was a manual, while cases of sudden deceleration are linked to the DQ200. Also, the coroner said she was likely distracted as she was on the phone when the incident happened.
Old 12th September 2014, 23:19   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi, had a second mechatronics failure on my Superb, at 50 months and 38,000 kms - just over 2 years after the last time my car broke down. Details are in my thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3531436. The car was repaired free of cost proactively. Another friend too suffered a second mechatronics failure. His car had previously been repaired in early 2013. Once again, Skoda is taking care of the issue free of cost. In both cases, replacement of gearbox oil with mineral oil is being done now. While repeated failures are disconcerting, the good news is that's Skoda seems to be acting proactively to resolve issues.
Hayek is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2014, 23:56   #139
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
In both cases, replacement of gearbox oil with mineral oil is being done now. While repeated failures are disconcerting, the good news is that's Skoda seems to be acting proactively to resolve issues.

Why can't they just recall and fill all the boxes with the mineral oil? When the polo tsi went in for service, we checked and the dealer said there is no such info in india.

Pathetic Knowledge sharing for such large companies lol

Last edited by suhaas307 : 13th September 2014 at 01:43. Reason: fixed quote-tags :)
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 12:10   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

My Laura DSG with DQ250 gearbox has suffered gearbox issues, the dealership does not have the required part(Multiplate Clutch). My car is stuck at workshop since 3 weeks now, parts not expected before another week! Dealer claims they will have to import parts from Czech Republic.

Details here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3537354

Last edited by .anshuman : 26th September 2014 at 14:00.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2014, 22:57   #141
BHPian

List of DSG failures in the past 2-3 years within India

Posting this on behalf of my friend "sovenkat" who has a Polo GT TSI.
These were questions running my mind too, especially after the Vento / Rapid Diesel DSG's were launched. --

I am a GT TSI owner myself and also have a couple of whom i know who own a laura DSG and a superb 1.8 TSI with DSG. Compared to my newer car, my friends have been the owners for more than 5 years now. They never had problems with their transmission and that made me buy the GT TSI - DSG with more confidence. I haven't had any problems so far too (TOUCHWOOD!!) and it has been extremely good experience.

However, my concern here is, every official and unofficial review of a Volkswagen/Skoda with a DSG, has one line, “RELIABILITY CONCERNS OF THE DSG”. I just want to know for sure, through this thread, how many DSG failures have been found in the past 2-3 years within INDIA. I tried to find a list of failures for the team-bhp forum, but did not find much (Or may be i don’t know how to search with the right keywords and i apologize if the mistake is mine).

So can all the bhpians/friends of bhpians who have or had problems with their DSG transmission, post more information about it ?

This can also include people who know for sure of someone who have gone through a DSG transmission failure ?

Which DSG is it ? DQ200/DQ250/Dry/Wet/6 speed/7 speed.

What/when was the problem found ?

What was the cause of the failure ?

What was the resolution ?

Was it within the guarantee period ?

What was the cost for replacement ? (As far as i know, DSG's are only replaced and they are not repaired since they come in as a single piece sealed unit) etc.

We have all read about the Laura in Kerla which had a DSG failure and the video uploaded on youtube to show us the failure and the cringe worthy sounds of the gear transmission. I would like to know more failures like that with proofs and their horror stories(if any).

Failures are part of every evolution. I just want to know for sure if Volkswagen/Skoda have evolved enough to provide the new customers with a better engineered DSG transmission gearbox. This is my whole idea of starting this thread.

Mods, I did not find a dedicated thread to the DSG failures and i have created this. Please delete this if you find it as a duplicate
RacerByHeart is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th November 2014, 23:42   #142
Senior - BHPian

Re: List of DSG failures in the past 2-3 years within India

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerByHeart View Post
We have all read about the Laura in Kerla which had a DSG failure and the video uploaded on Youtube to show us the failure and the cringe worthy sounds of the gear transmission. I would like to know more failures like that with proofs and their horror stories(if any).
Hi.

I believe you meant Kerala.

Frankly I ve not heard any failure of the DSG on Polo or Vento. Yes there were some failures on Superb and Laura but even those have been solved I believe after the oil was changed. I have read that the Polo and Vento are well within the max torque that the transmission can handle and hence are quite within safe limits. Dont know how true this is.
Old 9th November 2014, 08:40   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerByHeart View Post
These were questions running my mind too, especially after the Vento / Rapid Diesel DSG's were launched. --
Hi Racerbyheart,

Thanks for initiating this thread. I am eagerly waiting for the responses of fellow BHPians. I am seriously considering to upgrade from Rapid MT.
Old 9th November 2014, 10:24   #144
Senior - BHPian

There is a thread where users have reported their problem with DSG (all models). Many may not reported their problem again here. That thread is Skoda Superb DSG 7 Speed DQ200 failures
msdivy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th November 2014, 15:02   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
There is a thread where users have reported their problem with DSG (all models). Many may not reported their problem again here. That thread is Skoda Superb DSG 7 Speed DQ200 failures
Hi msdivy,

My thoughts exactly. I even saw someone still keeping that thread alive as new as October 2014.

But two reasons made me start this new thread through the help of my friend RacerByHeart.

1. That thread started way back in may'2012 and i thought it might be time to start a new one. It started as a slightly different topic.
2. Also, with DSG available in hatchbacks and mid size sedans, the sales are more compared to what it was in 2012 or earlier in india.

I started this thread newly, to know the feedback from new owners (post 2012 vehicle owners with DSG). Hopefully this makes to the front page so that more BHPians can make this as an informational post to all newer owners with DSG transmission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Hi.

I believe you meant Kerala.

Frankly I ve not heard any failure of the DSG on Polo or Vento. Yes there were some failures on Superb and Laura but even those have been solved I believe after the oil was changed. I have read that the Polo and Vento are well within the max torque that the transmission can handle and hence are quite within safe limits. Dont know how true this is.
The content was originally written by me and i take the responsibility of the typo. Yes i meant "Kerala".

As you said, i have heard a couple of Skoda owners getting a free replacement even when it was out of their warranty period. It would be nice to hear more of it in detail.

Last edited by ajmat : 9th November 2014 at 18:17.
Old 9th November 2014, 18:43   #146
BHPian

Some answers to your questions:

1. DSG affected: DQ200 7-speed dry clutch

2. The problem peaked around in cars with 2009-early 2011 manufacturing date

3. Cause: Sulphur in the gear oil and an inorganic heat stabiliser in the plastic parts (iodine) of the mechatronic unit can cause metallic surfaces to be attacked and to suffer from electrolytic corrosion, in connection with high air humidity and high outside temperatures. Conducting particles can then settle between the circuit paths of the control unit and could cause a short circuit. Since being "dry" this used to occur more in hot and humid environment and stop-go traffic (read:Indian scenario)

4. Resolution: In "susceptible" cars the gearbox oil was changed from synthetic oil to mineral oil. It has been observed and also documented by few Skoda dealerships that the problem has been rectified in new cars with post mid-2011 manufacturing.

5. I know only about Skoda regarding DSG failures. According to them any DQ200 owner experiencing DSG problems can get their cars checked and if there is a problem with the unit, the gearbox oil will be changed to mineral oil for free. Also mechatronics failures are also replaced with new ones without any charges with no questions asked!

6. Cost of replacement: None. All costs covered by Skoda Auto.

Source:
I have a Skoda Superb DQ200 7DSG (manufacturing: August 2011) and got checked it a month ago for DSG shudder (when switching from 1st to 2nd gear and in 2nd gear-1200-1800rpm) at Nawab Motors, Noida.

After inspection I was told that there is no mechatronics problem and the shudder is due to clutch pack wear and tear(which remains the 2nd most common problem with DQ200 - though I've heard that it has been rectified too in newer cars).

My car was out of warranty but SA was kind enough to get it done under goodwill and on my repeated requests he got mechatronics checked once more.
dr.kushagra is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 13:05   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

There are plenty of DSG thread on our forums, some with polls etc...

A couple of examples are given below..

DSG mechatronics failures

Ghosts of mechatronics

DSG failures were very real and lot of owners suffered worldwide not just in India . In India the DQ200 in the Superb was probably the most prone to failures. Older Superbs and Lauras with the PD engine and DQ250 box also suffered failures. But post 2012 failure rates have come down drastically although some Superb owners have faced failure for a second time on the replaced units. The switch to mineral oil in late 2013 seems to be working well. I'd like to know if any post 2013 mfd car or replaced unit has experienced a DSG failure be it a Polo/ Vento/ Superb/ Laura/ Jetta/ Passat/ Ocatvia/ Audi.

The Polo TSI has been here for more than a year and surely sells in more numbers than the Superb 1.8 TSI DSG. So there are enough numbers out there to prove its reliability in Indian conditions. What's more VW is now confident enough to pair with their 1.5 TDI that produces peak torque equal to the max limit of the DQ200 box. DSG woes may well be thing of the past.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 14:09   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
DSG woes may well be thing of the past.
Sathosh, I sincerely hope that be true as the Vento/Rapid diesel DSG is in must current shortlist for my next car. But as you have pointed out, The very fact that the Polo TSI has served more than a year and that VW/Skoda are bold enough to add this GB to most selling models is in itself a good indication that problems have been sorted out.
Old 2nd January 2015, 14:39   #149
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Superb DSG 7 Speed DQ200 failures- China gets official reaction, why not India?

Guys I have been reading through this thread and a lot of other articles online about the DQ200 DSG failures and the issue been solved but not sure if this is true yet? I am looking to buys the Octavia 1.8 TSI AT sometime this year but skeptical due to the reports of gearbox failures in the past.

However, I have not read about these failures recently and hence this is building up my confidence about this purchase. I am not sure how many have bought the new Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI DSG Petrol so cannot say if the issue is resolved.

I have been told that there is possibly a new updated VW Jetta coming out this year. Should I wait for the Jetta or go for the Octavia?
Old 9th July 2015, 18:11   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
What's more VW is now confident enough to pair with their 1.5 TDI that produces peak torque equal to the max limit of the DQ200 box. DSG woes may well be thing of the past.
Most of the DSG DQ200 related mechatronics problems can be sourced to the Skoda stable.

Although the same gearbox is shared with VW, I haven't noticed a single case of failure on a Polo/Vento/Jetta. Has anyone heard stories from owners in recent times (2013-)? Or have we sailed past the teething troubles? Would appreciate insights.

Last edited by pannags : 9th July 2015 at 18:12. Reason: Added content

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks