Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2015, 21:46   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: List of DSG failures in the past 2-3 years within India

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
Most of the DSG DQ200 related mechatronics problems can be sourced to the Skoda stable.

Although the same gearbox is shared with VW, I haven't noticed a single case of failure on a Polo/Vento/Jetta. Has anyone heard stories from owners in recent times (2013-)? Or have we sailed past the teething troubles? Would appreciate insights.
There has not been a case of complete failure reported (at least in this forum). There have been some jerking issues reported. Details in this thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-resolved.html

The Jetta does not use the DQ200. Jetta DSG comes only in diesel and it uses a 6 speed unit
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2015, 13:11   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
There has not been a case of complete failure reported (at least in this forum). There have been some jerking issues reported. Details in this thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-resolved.html
The Jetta does not use the DQ200. Jetta DSG comes only in diesel and it uses a 6 speed unit
I took a longish TD of the Vento TDi DSG on Friday, and must say that the experience was terrific. I've driven the same engine in MT (Rapid), but in bumber-bumper, stop-go-stop traffic, the DSG's up & downshifts are smooth and slick and make the car a breeze to drive.

After the drive and subsequent discussions, I was even offered a pre-facelift Highline variant for about 50 grand less (must be negotiable by a further 20-25, I reckon).

I'd have loved to write that cheque down, save for the jitters and anguish, thanks to the continued issues reported here (and elsewhere).

It's a shame that VW has done nothing to increase the confidence of its existing and prospective customers!

Do you dare offer the 10 year warranty that you do in some other parts of the world? Why not VW?
Old 21st September 2015, 11:38   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I'd like to know if any post 2013 mfd car or replaced unit has experienced a DSG failure be it a Polo/ Vento/ Superb/ Laura/ Jetta/ Passat/ Ocatvia/ Audi.
Adi_petrolhead's Octavia TSI looks like the first known case. Ahmadnaik's Polo TSI was 'rectified' by Skoda service.

Any other known cases?

Last edited by itwasntme : 21st September 2015 at 11:40. Reason: Formatting
Old 21st September 2015, 11:45   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Adi_petrolhead's Octavia TSI looks like the first known case. Ahmadnaik's Polo TSI was 'rectified' by Skoda service.

Any other known cases?
I am in the same boat trying to decided. Would like to hear if there are more failures with 7DSG (esp in the Octavia 1.8TSI)
Old 21st September 2015, 17:00   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post

Any other known cases?
Typical failures were caused by failure of the mechatronic unit. Infact in the Superbs this was so common, I think a majority of owners were hit by it.

Adi's case was different where a short circuit caused a fire. I would believe this to be an isolated incident. Also Ahmadnaik's case was also atypical.

All in all, I believe they have solved the mechatronic unit's typical failure problem by switching to mineral oil, but the gear box (particularly the dry clutch DQ200) still is not bulletproof. It seems to to hate stop and go traffic and there are lots of owners facing jerking and clattering noise issues.

All said and done it does offer a superior driving experience compared to regular TC and CVT boxes. I hope one day we will be able to say, yes, the DSG is finally trouble free!
Old 21st September 2015, 20:35   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
Do you dare offer the 10 year warranty that you do in some other parts of the world? Why not VW?

The reason, I think it was in China, VW offered the 10 yrs or 1,60,000 kms warranty is because protests were staged by customers in front of VW's HQ and they proly gave in because they didn't want bad publicity for the brand. I don't think many Indian VW car owners are willing to do this in front of VW's Indian HQ. The idea itself might sound silly to a good number of us.

Last edited by tjacob : 21st September 2015 at 20:43.
Old 21st September 2015, 21:24   #157
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjacob View Post
The reason, I think it was in China, VW offered the 10 yrs or 1,60,000 kms warranty is because protests were staged by customers in front of VW's HQ and they proly gave in because they didn't want bad publicity for the brand. I don't think many Indian VW car owners are willing to do this in front of VW's Indian HQ. The idea itself might sound silly to a good number of us.
VW's presence in China is much like Maruti's presence in India. VW's marketshare in our country is miniscule, and the number of cars with this questionable gearbox is even smaller. This, IMO, is the sole reason for VW's indifference towards the Indian market. They have bigger fish to fry.
Old 21st September 2015, 22:19   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
VW's presence in China is much like Maruti's presence in India. VW's marketshare in our country is miniscule, and the number of cars with this questionable gearbox is even smaller. This, IMO, is the sole reason for VW's indifference towards the Indian market. They have bigger fish to fry.
The numbers may be small but this specific group of customers are the ones willing to splurge on top-tier automatics for a better driving experience. A demographic that certain manufacturers are try to woo with their premium & performance brands but VW-India seems to have taken them for granted. The Ecosport had some problem with the glow plug in the early days of its launch but Ford still put a recall in place to fix the problem even though they had no idea how successful the Ecosport was going to be and Ford also offers a one lakh kms warranty on their DCT boxes. What I'm saying is small market share should not be used as an excuse by manufacturers to shirk on their duties towards customers. One side they bemoan their lack of sales at the same time they give a step-motherly treatment to their existing customers, its counterproductive and hypocritical on VW's part.
Old 21st September 2015, 22:38   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
VW's pr.....h to fry.
Quote:
The.... part.
The 10 year warranty should also be provided by VW in India to reinforce the trust VW has in its DSG box. IMO using the minuscule numbers as an excuse to extend step motherly treatment to the people who are willing to act as guinea pigs on a new technology is merely passing the buck!

This will only reinforce the perception that VW as a manufacturer doesn't take care of its customers, and we know all too well how perceptions (hint Maruti ) play a vital role in the car purchase process in India.
Old 22nd September 2015, 01:15   #160
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The numbers may be small but this specific group of customers are the ones willing to splurge on top-tier automatics for a better driving experience. A demographic that certain manufacturers are try to woo with their premium & performance brands but VW-India seems to have taken them for granted. The Ecosport had some problem with the glow plug in the early days of its launch but Ford still put a recall in place to fix the problem even though they had no idea how successful the Ecosport was going to be and Ford also offers a one lakh kms warranty on their DCT boxes. What I'm saying is small market share should not be used as an excuse by manufacturers to shirk on their duties towards customers. One side they bemoan their lack of sales at the same time they give a step-motherly treatment to their existing customers, its counterproductive and hypocritical on VW's part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
The 10 year warranty should also be provided by VW in India to reinforce the trust VW has in its DSG box. IMO using the minuscule numbers as an excuse to extend step motherly treatment to the people who are willing to act as guinea pigs on a new technology is merely passing the buck!

This will only reinforce the perception that VW as a manufacturer doesn't take care of its customers, and we know all too well how perceptions (hint Maruti ) play a vital role in the car purchase process in India.
Agreed!

- Ford has shown more seriousness with their EcoSport in India than VW has with all their models. The proof is in the fact that the EcoSport is not only made here but also exported in large numbers.

- I'm not sure if it's hypocracy or just plain lethargy. VW pumped in quite a bit into this market in the hope that they could garner decent market-share. But the Indian market has proved to be tough on them. According to them, their investment hasn't translated into the results they expected. This is one of the reasons, I'm assuming, for the company to take a step back and focus on China, and other emerging markets. They simply haven't been able to penetrate the market the way Hyundai has.

- The TSI range of engines from VAG in the affordable range of cars may be technologically ahead in our market, but it's already outdated in most other countries where VW is in possession of a sizable slice of the proverbial sales-pie. The same goes for the gearbox too!

- All said and done, VW must not treat Indian customers with indifference. Their willingness to establish themselves in our market must reflect in the service they provide, pre and post sales. It would do them a world of good, considering that the potential for growth is far from bleak. As you'll have vehemently pointed out, their cars must be offered with the same assurance they provide in other markets. It will only help them garner new customers and reinforce their faith in existing ones. At the moment, they seem to be taking baby steps even though they're clearly beyond adolescence.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 14:35   #161
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Superb DSG 7 Speed DQ200 failures- China gets official reaction, why not India?

we cannot complain about VW a lot, they are watching the entire market lap up tin cans from Hyundai like (i10grand 0 NCAP) and Maruti (entire range except S-Cross and ZXI Swift & some direct imports) while VW unnecessarily gave airbags and ABS plus similar structure to European models resulting in their cars priced higher than competition and then losing numbers to competition due to costlier cars.
Old 11th November 2015, 22:04   #162
BHPian

DSG reliability in Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI

I was planning to buy Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI. I wanted to know what is the status of DSG reliability issues in the 7 speed 1.8 TSI. Some reviews suggest the issues have been sorted while others say it is still a problem. I wanted advice from forum members if it is too much of a risk to buy the petrol variant. Will the TDI 6 speed DSG be more reliable, although i prefer the petrol for the 180 bhp as well as better suspension.
Old 12th November 2015, 10:29   #163
Senior - BHPian

Re: DSG reliability in Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudden123 View Post
I was planning to buy Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI. I wanted to know what is the status of DSG reliability issues in the 7 speed 1.8 TSI. Some reviews suggest the issues have been sorted while others say it is still a problem. I wanted advice from forum members if it is too much of a risk to buy the petrol variant. Will the TDI 6 speed DSG be more reliable, although i prefer the petrol for the 180 bhp as well as better suspension.
I have a multi-link setup in my Jetta like they have in Petrol Octavia. However I can tell you the multi-link is prone to crash in the rear as opposed to torsion beam setup of the diesel Octavia.

As far as reliability is concerned the 7 speed DSG is dry clutch as opposed to wet clutch 6 Speed DSG. The 7 speed is more fun as you get more shifts but is also more prone to failure. As you are covered under warranty I would say go with the car you like.
Old 12th November 2015, 14:38   #164
BHPian

I checked with dealer, they offering 2 year warranty. Extended 2 years comes at around Rs 20000. so total 4 years or 100000 km. But lets say the DGS fails during this period, does that create a safety issue as well? I mean any idea if the car goes out of control while running when the failure happens
Old 12th November 2015, 17:28   #165
BHPian

I have the Vento TSI with the DQ200 7 speed DSG and I think the issues are a thing of the past. I hope I'm not jinxing my car with this but on a serious note, the number of issues reported are also few and far in between.

I suggest go for the 1.8 tsi. It's the best petrol car south of the 328i. BTW, a friend of mine has owned the 1.8tsi for over a year now and apart from a couple of headlight related issues, there's been no problem whatsoever. Just get the 4 year warranty and enjoy the car!
HKap is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed