Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2013, 12:27   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra to offer a Verito based hatchback called the 'Vibe'

The pics really reveal a chop job with really no changes to the original till the rear door/ arch. The rear piece seems to be just a latch on and does not integrate well with the overall profile of the car.

Come on Mahindras, you could have done a better job. Even Figo is basically a reskinned Fiesta but it does not reveal this at all. At least it could have been reskinned from the front and insides to give it a new model feel.

All said and done it will surely add a couple of thousand copies to the sales charts at least given other benifits it offers such as the K9K and space which may work well for the commercial segment.

but looks like even the taxi market is not buying Veritos in large numbers nowadays and moving to Etios / Dzire Tour etc. Wonder what is the issue that is making them move. This should be fixed in the hatch else the same suit will follow.
Old 18th April 2013, 13:26   #47
BHPian

I think when one looks purely at the rear end the restyled part looks pretty reasonable. Its only when one looks at the car in profile that things go awry. The profile of the car clearly shows the age of the platform and somehow the front and rear end dont look in sync with each other.

Having said that and after experiencing M&M's customer loyalty first hand I wouldnt be surprised to see this car doing well in Tier II and III cities. I think M&M have had to balance their investment with what they can reap from this platform and they seem to have done a reasonable job. They have always been good at exploiting their investments to the fullest and I expect this to add another 1500~1750 units to their numbers every month.
Old 18th April 2013, 20:07   #48
BHPian

From Quanto onwards, Mahindra always tried to reap the benefits by investing into the platforms as low as possible.
Probably there are reasons also:

For Quanto-
Xylo(donor car) was sometime old, when idea of chopping it was conceived.
Mahindra clearly played 101% safe with saving investments on it, they saved alot from its after-market like chop job & invested the same in R&D of its All-new 3-cyl, Twin-scroll turbocharged 1.5 mCRDe engine. Even if the product would've failed the engine remains fresh & useable for Mahindra in other products.

Its engine is so well designed, that its truly a Hats-off job by Mahindra.
Firstly, it's designed in a way that it can be used both in vehicles with Longitudinal as Transverse engine position. i.e can be used both for cars as well as UVs.
Even in Quanto it uses Electrical fan, instead of Mechanical one. Result being it's very much silent, refined & sounds pleasant too.

With downsized turbocharging & reduced power rating to upto 75-80PS, it can easily be employed into Verito series, which again increase the Profits for Mahindra, while reducing the Royality bills.

For Verito vibe-
Everybody knows the car is on end of its lifecycle, but still Mahindra leaves no stone unturned to reap the maximum out of it & can very easily sell it for another 5-years by injecting it with customer friendly efforts, even Thanks to the very capable platform also.
Again coming to the point, the investments for this Vibe will be in the range of few crores, in order to play safe, again.

What next !
As per the media reports, I'm sure Mahindra's is keen on adding its own engines to Verito range, as stated above.
And not to forget the Upcoming XUV like monocoque Mini-SUV.

Cheers for Mahindra. Rise
CRtorquefan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st April 2013, 09:39   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_9191 View Post

4. Maruti Dzire - ugly! ..
3. Honda Amaze - I am AMAZED!!! UGLY again!! ...
2. Tata Indigo CS - UGLY!!!! ...
1. And the Oscar goes to the QUANTO. UGLY with my eyes closed. ...

Why dont these people stop this notchback madness and move on to cars with some design sense.
May be, in the age of utility, ugly is beautiful
simplyself is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2013, 11:12   #50
BHPian

I think this car is better driven backwards. Just imagine if Mr.Clarkson were to see this car. He would blast it out into the outer space. I mean when you spend close to 5 to 7 lakhs on cars with seats made of yoga mats for cost cutting reasons (referring to the hideous seats that comes in the top of the line Toyota Etios) I am sure the same sort of seat would be present on this thing too.

My question is for these cars that you pay almost 5 to 7 or may be 8+, what do you really get other than mileage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
This design screams Pontiac Aztek. And that is not a good thing. At all.
@ anekho ditto here too :-) One of my friend has two cars, a top of the line Quanto and a top of the line Nano. I am too embarrassed to meet him these days. Nowadays the only criteria that makes someone to buy a car is only mileage. Design, safety, performance... Not applicable.

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!
To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 25th April 2013 at 14:30.
ron_9191 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2013, 16:16   #51
BHPian

Why did they not curve the boot. Horrendous design. Those serrated tail lights to the boot has not one contiguous theme or line.

I am ok with the front.
Old 25th April 2013, 18:06   #52
BHPian

Spotted this Verito hatch today being treated at Chennai today.

It looks pretty big and is spacious for sure. And like everyone else here, I'm just not able to digest that tail lamp and hatch design!

Name:  ForumRunner_20130425_180428.png
Views: 5949
Size:  679.2 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20130425_180447.png
Views: 5903
Size:  794.4 KB
Auto freak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2013, 21:17   #53

Re: Mahindra to offer a Verito based hatchback called the 'Vibe'

It may have the largest boot in the segment, with the resilience Logan and Verito has shown, Vibe too will sell.
Old 26th April 2013, 11:28   #54
BHPian

Mahindra knows the Verito is not going to sell much, so they are trying to milk out as much as they can by this hackjob. Spending money on R&D for a better look would only be a waste of resources for them.

but in anycase, be it SAIL or this one, most companies are bringing in dated hatchbacks into India trying to get a crack at the lucrative 5 lakh segment. While I understand the need for manufacturers to get a money churner in times of crisis, I do not understand how they expect to win it in a segment which already has some real good cars, which are both good looking and efficient.
I mean, can you really expect either this offering or the SAIL to give competition to I10, Swift, Wagon R or even Ritz?

What exactly is the strategy behind bringing in such cars?
Old 13th May 2013, 20:07   #55
BHPian

Saw the Vibe sans any camouflage today on Mysore Road - they were filming the launch ad. It was sporting a weird blue color, but the general proportions of the car looked quite ok. With good pricing, this will hot up the battle in the 4m diesel segment.
Old 14th May 2013, 08:59   #56
BHPian

Spotted the Vibe at the entry of EC Phase 1 BETL

As mentioned in the above post, there was a production crew filming for the launch/ad.

It was funny to the see the expression of the 5 ppl who were stuffed up in the car probably all waiting desperately for the producer to say ' thats a wrap'
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra to offer a Verito based hatchback called the 'Vibe'-20130512_182932.jpg  

Mahindra to offer a Verito based hatchback called the 'Vibe'-20130512_182939.jpg  

Mahindra to offer a Verito based hatchback called the 'Vibe'-20130512_1829451.jpg  

superutp is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th May 2013, 11:28   #57
Senior - BHPian

Saw the same colored "Vibe" under the flyover just after near Nayandahalli Junction yesterday night. They were actually filming its ad i believe. It had a DL registration. Could not take the picture as i was in hurry to reach home. They were actually not allowing anybody to stand there.
Old 14th May 2013, 11:42   #58
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

I do feel the Vibe looks good - especially from the rear and rear 3/4ths.

Many would thing this is either a hatch or a notch back while it actually is a sedan designed to look like a hatch. Yet no Rear Wiper in Top Model - Not a Hatch.

The Boot opening angles will make access to luggage quite difficult.

Rear visibility should be good for the Driver. Parking sensors would be good to have.

Should have a killer pricing.

M&M are good at this kind of stuff.

Of Course overall this does look a bit dated as it indeed is. But Renault didn't think twice before introducing this with M&M the first time round either.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2013, 11:51   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
Spotted the Vibe at the entry of EC Phase 1 BETL

As mentioned in the above post, there was a production crew filming for the launch/ad.

It was funny to the see the expression of the 5 ppl who were stuffed up in the car probably all waiting desperately for the producer to say ' thats a wrap'
Ohh, this colour looks eye catching !! I read this as a desperate attempt at selling the car which already sounds like a flop in the market.
I can relate this to Indicas' and Figos' being launched in the eye catching green colour of the Beat. (Green Figo & Indica owners - please don't beat me).

Nevertheless, I don't know what was running on the mind of the board of directors when they approved this piece of ugly looking car designed by the automobile designers of M&M. This looks like the Verito sedan was simply chopped off from the rear and a ill-fitting tail lamp attached to complete the look. C'mon M&M. Maruti's Swift and D'zire were a success because it had Curves. Your Verito and Vibe are simply boxes. You can't chop off a rectangle box car to make it a square box car !!

This definitely would be a market dud. Can't replace Indica with a price tag of 6L !!
Probably a couple of Premium Taxi operators (like Meru and Easy) can experiment their business with this, but the money equation would go haywire if this is launched at a premium taxi. Well, if Meru and Easy buy this at 6L, they would try to run this as a premium taxi (like D'zire / Verito) and charge more compared to Indicas. However, the customer won't feel comfortable paying a premium for a hatch taxi with less boot space compared to a sedan taxi.

The only people who would probably buy this, are people who are looking for a second or a third car, specifically a comfortable hatch in the family. I have no doubts about the ride quality or the interior space. Verito (/Logan) is very spacious and hope the Vibe carries the same spacious interiors too.

These are all my personal opinions. Please don't bang me if this car becomes a hit.
Old 14th May 2013, 12:01   #60
BHPian

The front looks plain old boring Verito apart from a few changes along the bumper.

The rear looks ' hideously eye catching' according to me

Somehow as soon as I saw it, the rear reminded me of (a lot uglier and shorter though)
Mahindra to offer a Verito based hatchback called the 'Vibe'-ford_focus_rear_20080409.jpg

and then it looked a bit like a figo from the rear and then it just looked like a 3D version of these 'christmas tree' tail lamp clusters from the focus & figo.

All interior aspects (space, quality etc) would just be the same as the Verito, while the boot did look big for a hatch thanks to the design, but it just looks too boxy & outdated trying to look all flashy and modern.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks