Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2013, 10:01   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra to offer a Verito based hatchback called the 'Vibe'

Wow Mahindra, what were the designers smoking when they thought of designing that pathetic excuse for a hatch door.

That alone will drive away potential buyers, even the taxi and fleet owners will shy away from Vibe because of that idiotic design.

Talk about a bad Vibe!!!
Old 5th June 2013, 10:14   #107
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Till now I was thinking this is a notch back with the glass opening up as well. This is outright idiotic to have a small rectangular hole as the boot. What were Mahindra thinking?
I think what they have done is maximize Verito usage. That way even the rear glass movement need not designed. Its pretty much the same as Verito.
Instead of the box they added the arm. Rest remain same.

Talk of taking re-use to the next level!

Last edited by ampere : 5th June 2013 at 10:16.
Old 5th June 2013, 10:40   #108
Senior - BHPian

Now, looking at the way the boot is, its not about the ugliness as much as is about the fact/insult that Mahindra thought that people will accept any nonsense they throw into the market. It almost offends me that an entity like M&M, that has been in the market for SO long believed we'd like it. Disappointed.
Old 5th June 2013, 11:13   #109
rkg
Senior - BHPian

M&M produce scorpio -- people bought it in large numbers and still buying it
Xylo --- again people bought it in reasonable numbers
XUV 500 ---- People bought it in droves
Quanto --- Gain people bought it in good numbers
( compare sales with better products from competitors)

All these vehicles above have 5K service intervals resulting in higher ASS costs as against present industry standard of 10/15K service intervals. Still public is OK with it

Automatically M&M got enough confidence from public that any thing they produce it will be accepted. Hence this design.

I will not be surprised if this will also get good bookings
Old 5th June 2013, 11:28   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

The Vibe looks cool in an old fashioned way. ,reminds me of old school euro hatches.
Also with a proven drivetrain and mechanicals you can't go wrong.
Other than the LHD oriented wipers and controls that Mahindra hasn't changed there is nothing in it deal breaking for me.
BUT......
That AWFUL boot opening is just an eyesore, when i read that it wasn't a traditional hatch tailgate but a hinged bootlid didn't think it will be this ridiculous. Looks aside it's terribly impractical to use also. Remind me off the underbody storage compartments that Volvo buses have.

Last edited by DicKy : 5th June 2013 at 11:31.
Old 5th June 2013, 11:31   #111
BHPian

I thought this design would be radical in the indian market, it had similar back like that of previous generation prius, and was so hoping that it will open like that one too.

Mahindra to offer a Verito based hatchback called the 'Vibe'-p_outside_allopen.jpg

Oh boy, Mahindra is taken the CHOP job a little too seriously. This design is going to make the Verito, what Quanto is doing to Xylo. ---> Many dislikes and Low volumes!!
groom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2013, 11:59   #112
BHPian

And...they ruined it! The way the hatch door opens reminds me of a matchbox, an opening so small that only the tray will fit. This will go down in history as one of the most quirky designs of a hatch door. Practicality down the drain.

Also, i doubt how strong and long those S-Arms will hold. Had potential to be a good competitor though. This one flaw by itself could put off many a buyer in my opinion.
Old 5th June 2013, 12:02   #113
Senior - BHPian

This Looks like a notchback and to me design is not that bad .As others have shared some pics of other global cars, this looks similar in design.

BUT !!! M&M decides to do something unique. They give a hole slightly bigger than the fuel lid to shove the luggage inside. This seem to be the only negetive of this car. But this seem to be much bigger than the Toyota Liva. So M&M must be looking at the cabbies looking to upgrade from their Indi-cabs and Liva could not do what Etios did to bigger cabs.
Old 5th June 2013, 12:04   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Other than the LHD oriented wipers and controls that Mahindra hasn't changed there is nothing in it deal breaking for me.
Actually, Mahindra changed the wiper orientation to RHS when they refreshed the regular Verito sometime back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
That AWFUL boot opening is just an eyesore, when i read that it wasn't a traditional hatch tailgate but a hinged bootlid didn't think it will be this ridiculous. Looks aside it's terribly impractical to use also. Remind me off the underbody storage compartments that Volvo buses have.
Agreed!
directinjection is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2013, 12:26   #115
Senior - BHPian

Okay ... Its not great looking hatch in the market, but i am sure it will have better quality than Indica. Recently i sat in new Indica cab & i was shocked by the pathetic quality. Everywhere bad quality was visible. Even ride quality was not good compared to old Indica & Indigo range. So i am sure it can be a good, better buy as a taxi / cab. It has proven heart as well. Also for private buyers, it will be a VFM product. Not in Metros, but i think it will sell in tier II & III cities. Even if Mahindra manages to sell 2K + numbers, i will say its doing very good business. Overall i liked the car, its little old fashioned, but surely not bad either. Best of luck Mahindra, price it as low as possible

Edit : Just saw the photos of how the boot opens, very funny in deed. How come Mahindra designed it that way? Even i can design it better way, no jokes It will be pain to put luggage into it. On the positive side, luggage kept there will be very safe, as there is no way its visible from outside .. Hahaha.

Last edited by aniketi : 5th June 2013 at 12:32.
Old 5th June 2013, 12:29   #116
BHPian

May be the boot is big in size, still one can't even load a kids bicycle easily due to the sheer fixed rear windshield. Also loading a checkin bag vertically is a problem.

I am big NO for this boot.

Why not provide versatility like Skoda with option to open the hatch in 2 stages.

So here starts another indica / indigo platform from Mahindra. What's coming next?
Old 5th June 2013, 12:43   #117
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Okay ... Its not great looking hatch in the market, but i am sure it will have better quality than Indica. Recently i sat in new Indica cab & i was shocked by the pathetic quality.
Please compare the Vibe against the Indica Vista.

The Vista is much better than the Indica Cabs and I am sure you will understand this as soon as you drive one.
Old 5th June 2013, 13:16   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

The Vista is much better than the Indica Cabs and I am sure you will understand this as soon as you drive one.
Agree with you. Vista and Manza have pretty good build quality compared to older Indica/go. They also have proven FIAT engines doing duty. Still the Same old Indica image led to its doom i guess.

Only way Tata can boost falling sales is by bringing a stripped down version of Vista as a Vista-cab. But that wont go well with Private buyers(who anyway dont buy Vista i guess)

Coming back to M&M Vibe, It looks like a good package except for the usability of the boot. Boot might be big, but the usability matters here.
Old 5th June 2013, 13:29   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

The Vista is much better than the Indica Cabs
Fully Agree!!
Actually the vista is a very good hatch compared to many hatches on paper like Manza. Some how the volumes didn't kick (Q issues)

I hope the Vista Refresh this Diwali will light more lamps in Bombay House.
Old 5th June 2013, 13:38   #120
tez
BHPian

how much work would be involved to actually convert this into a proper notchback. Will our auto designer be able to handle this
Closed Thread

Most Viewed