Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2013, 18:07   #61
BHPian

Re: Tata Nano CNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Not so informed about CNG, isn't the pressure a big thing? How would having a fire extinguisher help when you sit on a pressurized tank?
CNG is a lighter than fuel and hence disperses into the atmosphere easily. In today's technology, chances of fire due to leaks is minimal (but not totally zero). Provision of fire extinguisher is mandatory as per CMVR rules for all CNG vehicles.

Pressure of CNG is usually around 200 bars (of course there a few countries that utilize Liquified CNG as well). CNG tanks undergo stringent burst test (for 300 bars) and leak tests as per ISO stds. It very unlikely to yield under the pressures used generally.

Please go through this linked document by SIAM on the CNG cylinder systems & their various requirements: http://www.siamonline.in/SIAM-19th-C...0pp58rIo1P7Btg
rajess_in is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2013, 18:24   #62
BHPian

Good move from Tata but why they have launch in limited markets only.

Do they want to see market reaction or its just another case of product testing being done on customers.
Old 9th October 2013, 07:20   #63
BHPian

Finally Tata launched Nano CNG EMax although only few states but in terms of pricing again they launched on higher side as LX model will cost almost 3lacs on road. Or its just our mindblock that if Tata launching any product then it should be cheap due to lack of Quality. Hopefully this one is quality product as Tata is really working hard to sustain in such market.
Nano CNG is really cost effective option for daily office commute and I may consider in next year's budget. Till that time even we will be having actual user reviews.
Couple of things - will mobile charger and music system with 4 speakers are available in CNG LX model? Its actually must have thing in car if you have to drive in Mumbai traffic.
Let's hope that with this Tata will gain market share.

Cheers
Old 9th October 2013, 08:53   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
Good move from Tata but why they have launch in limited markets only.

Do they want to see market reaction or its just another case of product testing being done on customers.
It seems they have chosen cities where there is easy availability of CNG which is of course the right way to go.

Hope this move helps the Nano achieve its true potential of being a cost effective mode of transport for the masses.
trek is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2013, 20:25   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone owns a CNG Nano on this forum yet?

Edit: And what is the period of warranty being offered?

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 17th November 2013 at 20:28.
Old 13th December 2013, 19:24   #66
Senior - BHPian

Not one tbhpian has bought the Nano CNG?
Old 19th December 2013, 13:36   #67

Good morning dear Team-BHP'ians. This is my first post.

Happy to report that I've just brought home a cute and cheerful white Tata Nano CNG.

In fact it's been just 2 months and the car has already put on 2700 KM thanks to my daily commute. This includes a trip from Noida to Chandigarh.

I've been using a Honda City LQ CVT for past 9 years as daily drive within Noida but with a recent job change to Gurgaon, the need for a metro pick and drop arose.

Initial impressions are fairly positive and a much more detailed Initial Ownership Review will follow soon.

Some quick bites for the impatient:
  1. Build quality is good. Interior plastics feel durable but finish is not clean with irregular lines and bits. Mind you I'm used to Honda quality so a bit spoiled in that regard.
  2. Fills 4.6-5 KG of CNG and runs 120-140 KM. Also fills 15 LT of petrol although I haven't measured mileage on that yet. CNG capacity is also a mystery that should get solved over time viz. we've had days the tank has swallowed 5.8 KG of CNG as well but usually it's close to 5 KG.
  3. In my guesstimate, full range - CNG plus Petrol - lies between 460-480 KM.
  4. CNG tanks are unobtrusive below front-seats with great interior space in all directions. Also, I generally sit in front and the driver doesn't come close to fouling with the passenger seat when changing gears.
  5. Excellent legroom in front combined with decent shoulder support. With the back reclined, feels like I'm lounging around for the 40 mins it takes from home to metro station.
  6. Rear-seats get bumpy. I've heard this is a common complaint with Nano. In front, it's no worse that my City although frankly the old City was never a class-leader in suspension comfort.
  7. AC is very effective. It was fairly warm in Oct when we took delivery and the glasshouse cooled within 40-60 seconds and stayed chill.
  8. Pick-up on CNG without AC is good but noticeable drop with AC when on CNG.
  9. Cruises comfortable between 60-90 but whines as it climbs through the 40-50 range. I don't recommend this car for three-digit speeds.
  10. Feedback from my wife on lack of power steering is positive. She has no complaints. She also doesn't feel the need to turn the steering when the car is stationary :-)
  11. Sheet metal used throughout the body is impressive. Feels durable and strong.
  12. Engine clatter is definitely lesser than the outgoing 2012 model. We didn't notice any overheating at the back but will wait until the summers to conclude on this issue.
  13. On the negative side, the tall-boy design doesn't give me a lot of comfort when cornering. Flip-side being I'm seated almost at eye-level with people travelling in higher-segment SUV's / MUV's.
  14. Aesthetically, I was predisposed to dislike the beige interiors but they're growing on me. Sitting inside, the feel is very airy and the green dial highlights look nice.
Overall, very satisfied with the purchase.

Last but not least, every time I glance at the distance-traveled - a simple multiplication by 5 tells me how much money I've saved with this eco-friendly and reasonably comfortable choice.

Thus far, it's 2700 KM * Rs. 5 i.e. Rs. 13,500 in 2 months.

Cheers,
Varun

PS: I should add the sales and service experience at Oberoi Cars Noida has been excellent thus far. That's also reserved for another lengthier post.
varshar is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 13:53   #68
BHPian

Varshar

Thanks for the post. Would you also be kind enough to put some pictures up of the tank placement and also the front Dash.The new Nano has a better speaker placement and would love to check those pictures

cheers
Old 20th December 2013, 23:02   #69
BHPian

To add to the above request, what did you pay for it and any freebies? I too might change my current Nano to the New CNG, if only I can get over the phobia of sitting on the 2 tanks of gas:-(
Old 26th December 2013, 12:18   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreedotk View Post
Varshar

Thanks for the post. Would you also be kind enough to put some pictures up of the tank placement and also the front Dash.The new Nano has a better speaker placement and would love to check those pictures

cheers
I've attached snaps of:

1. View of the dashboard from the rear seat.
2. Close-up of dash with CNG running.
3. Driver-side view of CNG module.
4. Rear-seat view of CNG module.
5. Rear-seat wider view of CNG module.

The twin CNG cylinders are encased within a reinforced hard-plastic module with a master manual shut-off valve for days the car lies unused e.g. long vacations or overseas trips.

You can note this via the blue on yellow sticker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
To add to the above request, what did you pay for it and any freebies? I too might change my current Nano to the New CNG, if only I can get over the phobia of sitting on the 2 tanks of gas:-(
I paid almost exactly 3 lacs.

Breakup was 2.32 (Base price), 0.34 (Taxes), 0.37 (Registration, insurance for 3 years, & extended warranty for 3 years). Freebies were floor-mats and an OEM gear lock.

Good luck!
Varun
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nano CNG-dashboard-rearseat.png  

Tata Nano CNG-closeup-dash-cng-running.png  

Tata Nano CNG-driverside-view-cng-module.png  

Tata Nano CNG-rearseat-view-cng-module.png  

Tata Nano CNG-rearseat-wider-view-cng-module.png  

varshar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th December 2013, 15:05   #71

Just to clarify some confusion:

The model I've bought is Nano LX and not CX. In the top CNG variant, Tata is not offering CD audio option yet though speaker grills are there.

Remaining items in LX are also there viz. chrome exterior strips, body-colored handles / ORVMs, roof beading / spoiler, electronic trip-meter, AC with heater, front power-windows, and central locking.

-v
varshar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2014, 19:24   #72
Senior - BHPian

Can't understand why are there no other colour options than white? If Tata wants the Nano CNG to be sold in large numbers, it gotta offer colours available in the petrol variant!

The same case is with the Indica CNG. Available only in white!
Old 26th January 2014, 23:42   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naparajito View Post
Off-topic, Tata has also planned for higher displacement petrol engine for the future. The Engine blocks are ready. And they'll start testing/ started testing them already now.
As I had said earlier. Here is a piece of Info.

http://www.motoroids.com/news/upcomi...ted-test-pune/
Old 22nd March 2014, 17:06   #74
BHPian

varshar,

Await your detailed Initial Ownership Review.

Would be interesting reading considering the emax variant is different from the Petrol only versions, with increased weight besides lower power, torque figures in CNG mode.

[quote=varshar;3323609]
Initial impressions are fairly positive and a much more detailed Initial Ownership Review will follow soon.
Old 6th October 2014, 18:03   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varshar View Post
[*]Fills 4.6-5 KG of CNG and runs 120-140 KM. Also fills 15 LT of petrol although I haven't measured mileage on that yet. CNG capacity is also a mystery that should get solved over time viz. we've had days the tank has swallowed 5.8 KG of CNG as well but usually it's close to 5 KG.
[*]In my guesstimate, full range - CNG plus Petrol - lies between 460-480 KM.
@Varshar, What mileage are you getting only on CNG?

Most Viewed