Team-BHP - Rent a Xylo, save Rs 1000 - Desperate Efforts Or Cool Marketing?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Rent a Xylo, save Rs 1000 - Desperate Efforts Or Cool Marketing? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/121457-rent-xylo-save-rs-1000-desperate-efforts-cool-marketing.html)

Hey all,
I received a mail from Mahindra Customer Relations (don't recall when did I subscribe to it) last evening about a new initiative by Mahindra & Mahindra.
You can also get all the details here : Welcome

I have heard confirmed news (from a friend who works in Engine Plant) of Xylo engine production figures plummeting day-by-day, because of decreasing customer demand.

Are these M&M's desperate attempts to revive Xylo's Sales ?
At least, I would like to believe that way. BY doing this, M&M is also trying to boost the sales of its lower-variants which form major part of fleet business for MPV segment.

Or there's another perspective to this move - which I might have been missing to think on ?

Yep, Xylo sales are tanking and it doesn't look like the facelift has led to a reversal of fortune.

I actually think it's a great marketing move and a win-win for both, manufacturer and customer. Mahindra gets potential customers to experience the Xylo's space & comfort over a longer duration, and hopefully get over the looks / bias (the Xylo is more competent a product than the Scorpio BTW). The customer gets a cheaper rental and if he was considering the Xylo, a much longer test-drive (how much can you know about a car in 10 minutes anyways)?

I just hope the rental Xylos are facelift vehicles and well-maintained.

Very innovative, here are some more : Link

I see this as a "sensible" marketing, they are trying to tap into the core area where Xylo can sell easily.

Also would like to add that M&M are trying to push the Xylo sale for a while now, In Dec-Jan when i was on a look out for a MUV/SUV i almost had closed in on Bolero and thats when the sales head informd about some Xylo drive and suggested me to join it, though they were not pushy but were trying to build awareness on this vehicle.

Not only will this get more customers to experience the Xylo, it will also increase fleet sales. Imagine all the people calling up taxi operators and asking specifically for the Xylo for their trip! That will have some effect on the taxi operators who tend to be easily influenced by such factors. Well thought out move by Mahindra.

What does the rental work out to? Does the price include insurance? What does it work out to against renting it at the current rate given by the unorganized sector?

Overall, it sounds like a good proposition. If the idea is to let the customer experience the Xylo then it can be assumed that the cars given out are well maintained and niggle free. I'm scared of renting cars these days from the unorganized sector cause these vehicles are rarely serviced and constantly running in spite of issues. Ultimately leading to breakdowns at some point spoiling the trip.
Has happened to me a couple of times. And they have no back up! Hopefully if you rent a Xylo from M&M, there is some way they can send you a backup in case of breakdowns. I love the idea of going out with this peace of mind.

The offer isn't something I would take up - just look at all those steps they want folks to do to claim the offer. I assumed that on paying for the Xylo and waiting for the delivery, there would be a Rs.1,000 discount on a rental, but that isn't the case because they want a picture taken with the Xylo. I can only imagine using their offer when going for the scheduled 1,000 km service.

A very innovative move. I really like seeing that M&M does go out of it's way to sell it's products. This would be like a really extensive test drive and frankly the Xylo is quite competent and not really as far off the mark as a product (especially considering the price) from the Innova which now sells three times as much.

People making a journey in the Xylo may be tempted to pick one up even over other sedans. Yes it is not a superb product but is definately a High VFM option. The newer look though simpler is also more elegant.

Nice move.

Good initiative from Mahindra. Looks like they are going all out to ensure that laggards (Xylo & Verito) rake in some decent numbers going forward.

Mahindra can even start to look at the leasing Xylo to the corporate segment. After the lease expiry at the end of 2-3 years they can auction off to the fleet operators as done here in the west.

Knew there would be a catch somewhere:
Quote:

Terms & Conditions:

Upto 100 participants who submit all documentation correctly will be eligible for the redemption of Rs 1000. These customers will be decided solely at the discretion of Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd on the basis of the documents submitted on the website and travel experience shared.
Rajan

I am really wondering why the Xylo is not doing well. by the way, i presume it does some 2000 odd numbers against the innova's 4000 numbers ? i have travelled quite often in the Xylo and its far more comfortable than the Innova. with the Innova now becoming more expensive, not sure why Xylo still does not sell better ?

Looks like a marketing gimmick. XYLO sales figures are spiraling downwards... and looks like the new facelift is not inspiring much confidence.
Although its a good offer for people needing rentals. Its a good people carrier.

It may be innovative but it's an awful lot of trouble to go to just to save 1000/- Plus the fact that Patchy Boy pointed out about only 100 contestants chosen at Mahindra's discretion AFTER the tour is completed and some pics etc. uploaded. The only thing to look forward to is the free trip to Goa but that again is just for 3 lucky couples.

Waste of time, in my opinion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by narayan (Post 2797260)
I am really wondering why the Xylo is not doing well. by the way, i presume it does some 2000 odd numbers against the innova's 4000 numbers ? i have travelled quite often in the Xylo and its far more comfortable than the Innova. with the Innova now becoming more expensive, not sure why Xylo still does not sell better ?

I can't disagree more. If comfort is equal to space, then Xylo wins. But if comfort is a combination of ride quality, space, reduced body movement and a general sense of well being, then Innova wins hands down.

Also its 2000 odd units for Xylo vs. 6000 odd units for Innova!!