Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2012, 18:35   #16
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Re: Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

I believe, if the ruling does stand and the implementation is strong, then the logical step for all the auto manufacturers would be to provide tinted glasses within permissible limit of visibility and pass on the cost to the customer.

A borderline legal solution could be after-market tinted glasses. I don't think this product exists today, but with a sizeable opportunity, it would be just 3-6 months before someone comes up with car model specific tinted glass options.

PS: On a lighter note, what's wrong with wearing a cool looking pair of sun-shades yourselves rather than using sun-film for the car? That should solve at least the harsh sunlight concern. For privacy concerns, how about a getting a veil/burka?

Last edited by SDP : 5th June 2012 at 18:39.
SDP is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 18:41   #17
Team-BHP Support

Blinds are also banned according to BLR cops, just heard an interview bit on radio with the traffic commissioner. So the expensive sedan guys with sun blind, be prepared to be stopped
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 18:46   #18
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sun Films banned - other options for sun control

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbhaskarm View Post
While browsing the net for some solution, I stumbled across this company who has a novel product (among other rage of products) which to me, looked a feasible & elegant solution.

Its called auto Window curtain. Have a look at their website -
Amritras India | Offers high quality car window curtains to ensure privacy and comfort in your ride.
These have been in market for ages. I have these installed in my Brother's Innova and my Skoda (though not from these guys). They are a perfect solution to sunfilm and its legal. As per the law, all sunfilm or anything that sticks to car windows are banned. However these curtains are atleast 1-2" away from glass so they cannot be banned as per current rule.

OT: Last night around 3 am, i saw a car being pulled up and his windows were being shaved off . I hope cops would have taken other laws just as seriously as this one.
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 18:53   #19
Senior - BHPian

I posted about these alternatives in the other thread, please have a look http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2768017

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionate1977 View Post
The cops fine the car owner and tear off the film - what would the cops do in case someone paints the glasses black?
You really want to do that?
Old 5th June 2012, 20:04   #20
BHPian

Legal:
Tinted glass procured from car manufacturer.
Minimum 70% at front and back, 50% at sides.
Old 5th June 2012, 20:24   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP
On a lighter note, what's wrong with wearing a cool looking pair of sun-shades yourselves rather than using sun-film for the car? That should solve at least the harsh sunlight concern. For privacy concerns, how about a getting a veil/burka?
Exactly what I was thinking of; this should be the perfect excuse to get myself a new pair of Ray Bans.
Another option I'm considering is the detachable net-like window curtains, of the sort that come factory fitted with luxury cars. These are currently too expensive, but I'm quite sure in a few months cheaper options will be available in plenty.

PS: SDP, I especially liked the burka part.
Old 5th June 2012, 21:05   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu
Blinds are also banned according to BLR cops, just heard an interview bit on radio with the traffic commissioner. So the expensive sedan guys with sun blind, be prepared to be stopped
Not really if it is Factory installed. I doubled checked it with local Merc dealer.
This is what I posted in Banned Sunfilms thread:

So here is an update: most high end cars come with retractable sun-blinds for rear side windows as well as rear glass, FACTORY INSTALLED. Our Merc has manual sun-blinds for rear side and auto for rear windshield and these are made of dark black perforated material. We checked with local Merc dealer about legality of these sun-blinds and as per dealer, since the sun-blinds are not stuck on glass and are actually an inch or so away from glass on door panel, they are perfectly legal. Moreover, these cars are homologated with these blinds installed, so actually they are CMRV approved. However, I do not know about the curtains installed after market.
Nitrous Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 21:19   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
Not really if it is Factory installed.
That is correct information. The stipulated VLT % was determined after extensive research and experiments to ensure that the driver of the vehicle has sufficient visiblity of the surroundings - not for visibilty into the vehicle. That would explain the legality of having 5% VLT films on limousines . Incidentally, limousines are allowed to have 5% VLT films on the rear windscreen and all windows, except the windows of the first row of seats - the driver and co-driver seats. ORVMs are expected to be used for rear vision.

Likewise, these blinds are also provided as OEM fitment only for rear windscreen and rear side-windows, providing privacy to rear seat passengers, usually the owner of the car.

However, the basis of this entire exercise is to ensure visibilty of what is happening inside the car, which in essense negates all the research and the resultant specifications.

Rajan
Old 5th June 2012, 21:23   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
PS: On a lighter note, what's wrong with wearing a cool looking pair of sun-shades yourselves rather than using sun-film for the car? That should solve at least the harsh sunlight concern.
That's not a solution for spectacle-wearers like me :-(. Of course, you can get sunglasses with power, but when your eyesight gets weaker, your tinted spectacles also need to be changed.

How expensive is it to manufacture photochromatic windshields? Such spectacles were expensive once, but are much cheaper now, due to economies of scale. They come with anti-scratch coating too. Why not use that technology in cars?
rohanjf is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 21:55   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
PS: On a lighter note, what's wrong with wearing a cool looking pair of sun-shades yourselves rather than using sun-film for the car? That should solve at least the harsh sunlight concern.
Guys with spectacles/Myopia can't do that.

And

wearing a cool sun shade will not help improving car's A/C and mileage. It will also not help preventing thieves from stealing ICE and stuffs like bags etc from the car.

While it is true that one will look cool with sunglasses but our car will look and feel cool with the 'then' legal sun films.

Last edited by bluevolt : 5th June 2012 at 21:59.
bluevolt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 22:10   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Guys with spectacles/Myopia can't do that.

And

wearing a cool sun shade will not help improving car's A/C and mileage. It will also not help preventing thieves from stealing ICE and stuffs like bags etc from the car.
While this will not improve the performance and mileage, at least will prevent theft

Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-window-bars.jpg

Rajan
PatchyBoy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 22:31   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
While this will not improve the performance and mileage, at least will prevent theft

Attachment 937067

Rajan
Such grills were actually used around 2000-2001 to protect the quarter glasses of cars. We had such protection grill in our Maruti 800 way back in 2001. Similar grills were used to protect taillights.

I hope many BHPians remember this.

EDIT - Found two pics - courtesy - automotive india.

Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-49458d1336305461tdiyhowremovesunfilmsyourcarquartepannelglass.jpg

Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-49459d1336305461tdiyhowremovesunfilmsyourcarfinalpic.jpg

Last edited by bluevolt : 5th June 2012 at 22:41.
bluevolt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 22:32   #28
mgh
BHPian

Re: Sun Films banned - other options for sun control

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
I remember, long time back, during the days of Premier Padmini's and Amby's, the Padmini used to be offered in a high variant with factory fitted green Tinted Glasses .
I had a diesel Padmini with photochromatic glasses in Pondy. In the sun, the glasses used to turn almost black by evening! Overnight, they became transparent again.
My previous 2000 model Indica DLX, as well as my current 2007 Indica V2 Turbo DLX, have tinted glasses.
mgh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 22:36   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
Not really if it is Factory installed. I doubled checked it with local Merc dealer.
It is SO clear the cops are also confused regarding this order. It basically boils down to local Police Boss' interpretation. The Bangalore Cops say its illegal while the Gujarat cops might not think so.

My personal experience:
Got pulled over by Gurgaon Cops today (was on my way home after work during rush hour) near Huda City Centre - it was a police drive to catch cars with sun films on - My Linea comes with a factory fitted dark perforated rear (pull up) blind and slightly tinted glasses. I got away scot-free after the cops inspected my car.
Old 5th June 2012, 22:46   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi413

It is SO clear the cops are also confused regarding this order. It basically boils down to local Police Boss' interpretation. The Bangalore Cops say its illegal while the Gujarat cops might not think so.
Yeah, the cops are super confused regarding this initiative. However, GJ cops are not running any campaign at this moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi413
My personal experience:
Got pulled over by Gurgaon Cops today (was on my way home after work during rush hour) near Huda City Centre - it was a police drive to catch cars with sun films on - My Linea comes with a factory fitted dark perforated rear (pull up) blind and slightly tinted glasses. I got away scot-free after the cops inspected my car.
Exactly my point. If your sun blinds are factory fitted, they are perfectly legal as they have passed the CMRC before the model was launched in India. One needs to find out about after market installed blinds though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks