Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2014, 06:12   #406
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaykakkar View Post
...because he'll have to use a blade to remove the glue & this might mess with the defogger lines.
I had removed the film on my vehicle myself. Just peeled it off, without using any blade etc. After the film came out, I used Colin spray to wipe off the residue. No problems to the de-fogger circuit at all.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2014, 11:10   #407
BHPian

Friends, do we assume that nothing further can be done regarding this sun film issue? I am not a legal eagle but my reading is that it was the court's interpretation of the Motor Vehicle Act that resulted in banning of sun films. Now that a more responsive Govt. is in place in Delhi can some lobbying be done by all the vehicle owners (or reputed associations) to legalise the use of sun film? If Modi can respond to some obscure Mumbai society's petition regarding their problems then I am sure he will respond to some sensible representation by the vehicle owners. The logic is simple. A 50% VLT or 70% VLT in OEM tinted glass is same as a 50% VLT or 70% VLT in a sun film.
Old 30th May 2014, 15:54   #408
BHPian

I have transparent film everywhere in my car. Yes, I have applied it to front glass too. It is so transparent that even at night one can see inside the car clearly. The film is very effective and blocks 90% of UV but still Infrared is a problem.

I have never been stopped by a cop anywhere. I feel that cops are using their brains and not just implementing the rule because told by supreme court.

The main reason to enforce this ban was to ensure safety from criminals who "hide the truth" behind sun films. If a cop can clearly see through the film, they sure have no problems.
Old 30th May 2014, 17:23   #409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodude View Post
I have transparent film everywhere in my car. Yes, I have applied it to front glass too. It is so transparent that even at night one can see inside the car clearly. The film is very effective and blocks 90% of UV but still Infrared is a problem.

Can you kindly provide the details of the film that you have installed??. Make and price , as I'm planning to get them installed soon.
Old 30th May 2014, 17:35   #410
BHPian

Quote:
It blocks UV but not infrared ? So I am guessing that it is not very effective in blocking heat.

Has anyone used 3M CR 70 ? How good is that ? I noticed that it was very transparent and blocks most of the heat too. I would like to know if it can be noticed very easily.
Old 30th May 2014, 17:54   #411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
It blocks UV but not infrared ? So I am guessing that it is not very effective in blocking heat.

Has anyone used 3M CR 70 ? How good is that ? I noticed that it was very transparent and blocks most of the heat too. I would like to know if it can be noticed very easily.
I had them on my Laura (all around except rear) till middle of last year. As the OEM glass on Laura is slightly tinted, it got me into trouble with the cops and i removed it. It was by far the best sunfilm i had used in any of my cars and kept the car cool even in the blistering Delhi heat.

The Laura now has a nearly transparent Llumar film all around (except rear) and i have not faced any trouble from the cops within the NCR. The film is good but about 70% as effective as the 3M used to be.

Cheers
Rohan
RohanDheman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2014, 18:05   #412
BHPian

Just discovered during a casual chat with my colleagues that sun films are now allowed which have X% of visibility (They could not confirm the actual percent allowed). I was told that this has been recently allowed and came in news too. Is this true? I was under the impression that sun films are totally banned. Can anyone please throw some light on this?
Old 30th May 2014, 18:21   #413
BHPian

Quote:

I have never been stopped by a cop anywhere. I feel that cops are using their brains and not just implementing the rule because told by supreme court.

The main reason to enforce this ban was to ensure safety from criminals who "hide the truth" behind sun films. If a cop can clearly see through the film, they sure have no problems.
Since your location is Navi Mumbai too, can i know from where did you source this transparent film(Make) which blocks 90% of UV. I have visited few Shops in Vashi & Nerul but i was not at all satisfied with local make clear films they stock. They claim it reduces the heat by 30%.

How much did it cost you including front glass ?

I was quoted Rs1400 for front glass and Rs 1600 for 5 side for my Liva.

Liva's Ac is a chiller, my only concern is blocking harsh sun rays.
Old 30th May 2014, 18:38   #414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitnab View Post
Friends, do we assume that nothing further can be done regarding this sun film issue? I am not a legal eagle but my reading is that it was the court's interpretation of the Motor Vehicle Act that resulted in banning of sun films. Now that a more responsive Govt. is in place in Delhi can some lobbying be done by all the vehicle owners (or reputed associations) to legalise the use of sun film? If Modi can respond to some obscure Mumbai society's petition regarding their problems then I am sure he will respond to some sensible representation by the vehicle owners. The logic is simple. A 50% VLT or 70% VLT in OEM tinted glass is same as a 50% VLT or 70% VLT in a sun film.
I think this is most logical post on this thread recently.
While we can put a fully transparent film it still does not get past the interpretation of Supreme Court so does not fall in the catagory of legal alternative.
A petition to government to amend the CMV act or file a curative petition in supreme court are only options.
Old 30th May 2014, 18:50   #415
Senior - BHPian

Are none of the members here supreme court lawyers? I mean, we are a large community aren't we? We meaning TBHP. Can't we file a petition as a group?

I am not a lawyer, but a common man with a common issue on the supreme court ruling.
Old 30th May 2014, 19:41   #416
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
Since your location is Navi Mumbai too, can i know from where did you source this transparent film(Make) which blocks 90% of UV. I have visited few Shops in Vashi & Nerul but i was not at all satisfied with local make clear films they stock. They claim it reduces the heat by 30%.

How much did it cost you including front glass ?

I was quoted Rs1400 for front glass and Rs 1600 for 5 side for my Liva.

Liva's Ac is a chiller, my only concern is blocking harsh sun rays.
Visiting any navi mumbai car decor is always costly affair. I drive to Ulhasnagar and get it done. Ulhasnagar hosts wholesale market for automobiles hence auto parts are available in cheaper rates than navi mumbai.

I sourced the films from a shop named CAR SAJAWAT, around 3 years ago. This dealer was suggested by my friend. I just told him to apply a film with which I can drive into Mumbai / Navi Mumbai because that time cops had started acting tough on black films. You need not go to the same dealer. There are many other dealers. Do bargain hard once the bill is given to you.

I paid 1400 that time for all 5 sides (Garware film). Don't expect the same rate today. And do not go alone, go with a friend or relative.
turbodude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2014, 09:46   #417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
I had them on my Laura (all around except rear) till middle of last year. As the OEM glass on Laura is slightly tinted, it got me into trouble with the cops and i removed it. It was by far the best sunfilm i had used in any of my cars and kept the car cool even in the blistering Delhi heat.

The Laura now has a nearly transparent Llumar film all around (except rear) and i have not faced any trouble from the cops within the NCR. The film is good but about 70% as effective as the 3M used to be.

Cheers
Rohan
What is the difference between 3M CR70 and the transparent film you mentioned ? Are both the same ?
Old 31st May 2014, 15:16   #418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The logic is simple. A 50% VLT or 70% VLT in OEM tinted glass is same as a 50% VLT or 70% VLT in a sun film.
Not quite. There is logic behind the SC ruling. The act/rules allows automakers to have those limits for their glass - for example front glass has to allow 70% VLT. In which case, installing anything other than film that allows 100% VLT, even something like CR90 will effectively mean 63% VLT.
One may argue that my car has only 80% VLT as OE, so the 90 film will mean 72% VLT, but that ends up in an enforcement nightmare.
AFAIK, no film has 100% VLT.

Last edited by Sawyer : 31st May 2014 at 15:28.
Old 31st May 2014, 19:41   #419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Not quite. There is logic behind the SC ruling. The act/rules allows automakers to have those limits for their glass - for example front glass has to allow 70% VLT. In which case, installing anything other than film that allows 100% VLT, even something like CR90 will effectively mean 63% VLT.
One may argue that my car has only 80% VLT as OE, so the 90 film will mean 72% VLT, but that ends up in an enforcement nightmare.
AFAIK, no film has 100% VLT.
I agree that a film added to the glass will reduce the transmission. But what needs to be checked has to be the actual VLT of the system (glass + film). As long as this is within the specified limits of VLT it should not matter whether you have used film or it is OEM glass. As far as nightmare of enforcement is concerned, one of the reasons given by the courts to ban film was "inadequate availibility" of light measuring instruments. Now that is a ridiculous argument. This is not some cryogenic engine technology that requires high end research. By that logic we should ban all people coming out of a bar from driving because we have paucity of breathalysers. I hope all concerned stake holders sit together and thrash it out and then ammend the Motor Vehicle Act accordingly.
Old 31st May 2014, 20:28   #420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
. But what needs to be checked has to be the actual VLT of the system (glass + film).
Simple optics and math - multiply the two VLTs. OEM glass of 70% VLT and film of 90% VLT = 63% VLT. In a country like ours, accurate measurement can be ruled out, so the SC has applied Occam's razor. Fair enough.
My one contention is that this ruling should apply to all cars - including those of specified classes of ruling people, that I think are exempt.

Most Viewed