Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2014, 23:05   #451
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

@Ricci, that point has been discussed sufficiently enough, to the point of the thread getting locked. This thread is about legal alternatives. If you do know of something that we all can use, please do share.
Old 1st October 2014, 23:10   #452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
So when the existing motor vehicle laws permit tints with 70% VLT front and 50% on the rest, how is the SC's verdict to disallow tints altogether, even legal ?
The differentiation is OEM vs. aftermarket. If it's OEM, it's ok. If it's aftermarket, it's not.
Mad Max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2014, 18:16   #453
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post

I'm surprised you have managed this long with 35% tints.
I have 50% or darker VLT on most of my cars and have been surviving in Bombay. You just need to be cautious around certain locations especially the cops on worli seaface they are on the look out for tints. Others dont really care. The cars do get caught too at times, on average each car must be paying approx a fine of 500 bucks a year. Which I don't mind paying to keep my head cool.
Old 2nd October 2014, 19:46   #454
BHPian

Which of the cars in B&C segment come with OEM tinted glasses?
Old 7th October 2014, 12:52   #455
Senior - BHPian

Since the topic is legal alternatives to Sun Film , I used newspaper tucked in the window in direction of sun during recent long drive touching 7 states and it worked well.
Cheapest practical option and since it is not stuck to the window glass fully legal in the spirit of the interpretation of law done by SC in their infinite wisdom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psp62in View Post
Which of the cars in B&C segment come with OEM tinted glasses?
Don't know what segment it falls in but Honda Amaze Vx variant comes with 20% heat blocking glass , however I am not sure how much effective it is as my wife still prefers to use SPF 15 sunscreen lotion on arms for nearly 1 hour commute in traffic.

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 10th October 2014 at 11:13.
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2014, 00:52   #456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
PS: On a lighter note, what's wrong with wearing a cool looking pair of sun-shades yourselves rather than using sun-film for the car? That should solve at least the harsh sunlight concern. For privacy concerns, how about a getting a veil/burka?
What about the heat?
Old 10th October 2014, 09:57   #457
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count510 View Post
What about the heat?
There is a new invention called as Air Conditioner (abbreviated as AC) that cools the air in closed spaces. A lot of new generation cars are coming with this ground-breaking technology and can solve the heat-in-the-car problem.

Come on! The portion you quoted is clearly marked as "on a lighter note", not to be taken seriously.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2014, 10:53   #458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is a new invention called as Air Conditioner (abbreviated as AC) that cools the air in closed spaces. A lot of new generation cars are coming with this ground-breaking technology and can solve the heat-in-the-car problem.

Come on! The portion you quoted is clearly marked as "on a lighter note", not to be taken seriously.
Well even with ground breaking AC technology problem of convected heat in Air is solved but not of heat radiations and sun burn.
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2014, 00:15   #459
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks, I know it's on a lighter note. But I am serious when I talk about the heat. With the AC still on, a lot of sun enters the car not only in the form of UV (and other harmful) rays, but, also severe heat which conquers the AC. Would you be kind enough to enlighten me on other ground-breaking technologies as well?
Old 14th October 2014, 15:11   #460
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, I know it's on a lighter note. But I am serious when I talk about the heat. With the AC still on, a lot of sun enters the car not only in the form of UV (and other harmful) rays, but, also severe heat which conquers the AC. Would you be kind enough to enlighten me on other ground-breaking technologies as well?
Few solutions i could suggest - use a 70% VLT film all around and that should take care of the UV and some of the heat. You could also look at custom made blinds. They come in a varied set of prices starting from as low as about 250 for one window to a few thousands. Lastly, if you want to be entirely legal and dont want to spend much money, you could try those shades that are sold at traffic signals. Not sure how effective they would be but it definitely can cut some direct heat.
Old 14th October 2014, 15:34   #461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Around 80-85 cars are there per 1000 people in Chandigarh, which has the highest number of cars per capita in India, Rest 900+ persons do not own any car. lets assume these 85 guys take three more passengers with them all the time, there are more than 600 persons without cars. They do not need the ground-breaking technology to shield them from UV and other harmful radiation then why do we crib about lack of films on our cars?

Car AC is a boon in all the heat during peak summers in North India and IMO we should be content with that.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2014, 19:27   #462
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Around 80-85 cars are there per 1000 people in Chandigarh, which has the highest number of cars per capita in India, Rest 900+ persons do not own any car. lets assume these 85 guys take three more passengers with them all the time, there are more than 600 persons without cars. They do not need the ground-breaking technology to shield them from UV and other harmful radiation then why do we crib about lack of films on our cars?

Car AC is a boon in all the heat during peak summers in North India and IMO we should be content with that.
Lets move your statistics to Mumbai.

Assuming many of the people without cars live in slums, and may not even have proper sanitation facilities, does that mean we too should start using the street side?

If we want more comfort then why not?

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 14th October 2014 at 19:31.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2014, 10:22   #463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Lets move your statistics to Mumbai.

Assuming many of the people without cars live in slums, and may not even have proper sanitation facilities, does that mean we too should start using the street side?

If we want more comfort then why not?
I was expecting such questions and honestly I do not have a definite answer. However, my thoughts on your statements are as follows.

We might not be able to live live the life of slum dwellers even for a day, so lets not even go there. Moreover, using proper sanitation facilities is not termed illegal in this country so we may use as luxurious and comfortable sanitation facilities as per our affordability.

To the question of wanting more comfort, we may get it as long as we are in legal limits. We can purchase cars that have tinted glass installed from the factory. However, many of us can not afford it and hence we can only pray that the manufacturers start giving tinted glass on there affordable cars too. Only one manufacturer has to start this practice and rest will follow. Till the time this happens, we shall abide by the law.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2014, 15:41   #464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
lets assume these 85 guys take three more passengers with them all the time, there are more than 600 persons without cars. They do not need the ground-breaking technology to shield them from UV and other harmful radiation then why do we crib about lack of films on our cars?

Good question , Let me try to answer it

If you want to compare the requirement of travellers in cars versus non travellers you need to compare the people who live in a green house and not general population.

There are three contributing factors to the agony of people sitting in AC car in sun which does not come in to play while you are out in open.

(1) They can not move and change sides easily so the same portion of skin gets constant exposure. When you are out in open people generally change position subconsciously before it is too uncomfortable and cause sun-burn.

(2) Green house effect in enclosed cabin , Radiations gets "trapped" in the enclosed space and the effect is nearly same as a green house.
People are able to grow water melons in frozen climate of Europe using greenhouse so that proves the impact.

(3) Dehydration of skin due to dry air of AC . After a long run with AC on park the car and check below the car you will see water dripping. This water is condensed from the cabin Air and thus the air becomes dry. Occupants of car loose more water from body due to dry Air and get uncomfortable.

So for a fare comparison rather then comparing with non-car ownsers you should compare with non-car owners in Chandigarh who sit being a clear glass pane with dehumidified air and not allowed to draw curtains and also not allowed to move.
Old 15th October 2014, 16:03   #465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
If you want to compare the requirement of travellers in cars versus non travellers you need to compare the people who live in a green house and not general population.

There are three contributing factors to the agony of people sitting in AC car in sun which does not come in to play while you are out in open.

(1) They can not move and change sides easily so the same portion of skin gets constant exposure. When you are out in open people generally change position subconsciously before it is too uncomfortable and cause sun-burn.
I did not experience such phenomenon in 18 years of driving in Delhi without tints on my glass, living in house with AC and working in Air-conditioned office.

Quote:
(2) Green house effect in enclosed cabin , Radiations gets "trapped" in the enclosed space and the effect is nearly same as a green house.
People are able to grow water melons in frozen climate of Europe using greenhouse so that proves the impact.
Thank you for enlightening me. The effect can be immediately reduced by operating AC in fresh air mode with all windows down for a couple of minutes before driving.

Quote:
(3) Dehydration of skin due to dry air of AC . After a long run with AC on park the car and check below the car you will see water dripping. This water is condensed from the cabin Air and thus the air becomes dry. Occupants of car loose more water from body due to dry Air and get uncomfortable.
Completely agree, but how does a tinted screen help in this regard?

Quote:
So for a fare comparison rather then comparing with non-car ownsers you should compare with non-car owners in Chandigarh who sit being a clear glass pane with dehumidified air and not allowed to draw curtains and also not allowed to move.
Cars normally 'move' with ACs on and that itself has huge impact on cooling. Again, drawing curtains in homes/offices is legally allowed but putting tints on cars is not, at least for now. So, if someone wants same amount of comfort as in a office/house with tints and curtains he has to either buy cars with tints by manufacturer or stay at home. So for me a fair comparison would be between a relatively similar humans in similar conditions and not with hyper sensitive persons who are allergic to sun.

Most Viewed