Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2016, 23:39   #571
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

Thanks for that. I see condensation on the roof, so coolness must be escaping, and if coolness is escaping, heat must be getting in. And it's a black car.

But I do agree that the glass is the big entry point for most of that heat.
Old 21st April 2016, 23:52   #572
BHPian

I've had my sun films being removed with a blade at the Dahisar toll booth in Mumbai. It was painful to see that film being ripped off, also harder considering that I had just started working and had got those films on the car.
Have stayed away since then. Until today, police stop to check if there's any film on the car. I use traditional shades when parked in the sun, the ones you used to get way back (got one free from a bank in Kuwait) Makes a big difference must say. Alternatively, I use newspaper to cover the glass
Old 22nd April 2016, 06:33   #573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyn View Post
The reason a car parked in the sun gets hot is because of the 'greenhouse effect'. And all the light enters the car through the glass.
Quite right and this is exacerbated with modern designs that have large areas of glass front and rear, that are almost parallel to the ground. There was one thing about older cars, one never saw so much sunlight in the inside of the car. Like sun roofs, these designs are ill suited for the Indian climate.

The solution with parked cars isn't sun film, over time parked in the sun it will be as helpless as plain glass, there is just too much solar energy for it to cope with. What helps a lot is to leave windows open just a little when parked in sunlight so the heated air has a chance to leave the car. The other is to leave the doors wide open for a minute or two before driving away.
Old 26th April 2016, 12:56   #574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranvilleDsouza View Post
I've had my sun films being removed with a blade at the Dahisar toll booth in Mumbai. It was painful to see that film being ripped off, also harder considering that I had just started working and had got those films on the car.
Have stayed away since then. Until today, police stop to check if there's any film on the car. I use traditional shades when parked in the sun, the ones you used to get way back (got one free from a bank in Kuwait) Makes a big difference must say. Alternatively, I use newspaper to cover the glass
I'm always passing from Dahisar checknaka as I stay at Mira Road and I've never seen this happening. I've just put Llumar tints myself after 2 years of frustration.

You need to be smart and roll down all windows when you're approaching the cops there to be on the safer side. My tints are light so I don't bother. In fact, I see so many dark tinted cars passing from there.
Old 26th April 2016, 18:19   #575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
I'm always passing from Dahisar checknaka as I stay at Mira Road and I've never seen this happening. I've just put Llumar tints myself after 2 years of frustration.

You need to be smart and roll down all windows when you're approaching the cops there to be on the safer side. My tints are light so I don't bother. In fact, I see so many dark tinted cars passing from there.

I agree, I too stay at Mira Road and travel to Malad daily (work) and mostly I've also seen many vehicles with literally black tint and have asked them about it as well. They have no explanation to it. Also, this happened in the morning. They've also questioned me when I was returning back late at night (they stopped me to check if I consumed alcohol, around 1:30AM, checked my papers and then didn't find anything amiss and asked about the window tint. Epic fail on their end)
Another instance is when I had gone to Thane for a meeting and my windows were down, a cop at the signal (the bridge to take a u-turn to Viviana) and asked me to roll my windows a little up to check if there's film. This was 2 weeks ago. Don't know why they love my swift so much
Old 26th April 2016, 19:11   #576
Distinguished - BHPian

From what I have heard, the sub-urb's seem to be a little lenient. It's the city, esp South Bby where they are strict.
Old 27th April 2016, 08:51   #577
BHPian

I too had to go through the heart breaking experience of having to pull the film off my swift after some 7years of it being there. Happened near Goldspot signal.. two years ago. Isn't there any paint-film like solution to just spray on the side windows? (wishful thinking)
Old 27th April 2016, 09:17   #578
BANNED

Oh, I did not know there was a separate thread for this issue since it's 4 years that the law was passed. I had mentioned this matter below elsewhere.

Someone I know fixed rain guards to the top of the door frames. They are called many things - bug deflectors, vent guards and so on.

It may do what's advertised. It also creates a dark shadow on about 30% pf your side window.

They also tried applying some car polish on the window and wiping it off. This reflects light. It's difficult to look into the window as it shines.
Attached Images

Old 27th April 2016, 11:50   #579
Senior - BHPian

More and more i see people using screens, big size reflectors, towels, t-shirt and what not here in chennai.

If i remember right the intention was to have a clear view inside the car. What this absolutely non scientific judgement where i think the right way would have been to catch hold of folks that have no visibility at day time or darker tints, has done is even police man is not worried about those clothes, screens and plug and play dark tints as problem but simply catch those who have like 20% tints.

I have a 20% tint and touch wood and i am probably jinxing it i have escaped from cops. But i know my day will come and i will definitely go 1960s and get those nice cloth screens. It was 45deg on road this sunday. No ways one can ridewithout sun film.
Attached Thumbnails
Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-20160423_193112.jpg  

Last edited by VW2010 : 27th April 2016 at 11:55.
Old 27th April 2016, 15:34   #580
BHPian

For having a darker film and at the same time not to get caught/fined by the police person, then you need to have a symbol/sticker of any of the political party. With that they wont catch/fine you. Companies should come out with some alternatives. They can even charge for providing special glasses which provide heat reflection. I guess customers will be happy to pay extra for it instead of sitting in the oven like situation in the car.

IR Reflective Glass is also an option-

The first requires the glass manufacturer to coat an IR reflective layer directly onto the glass. This process, called direct sputter coating, involves processing glass through a vacuum deposition chamber, which creates high-density plasma of various heat-reflective metals. Atoms are deposited on the glass in thin transparent layers 5 to 30 nanometers thick, or about 1/10,000 of the diameter of a human hair.

I think we are using OTG (Over The Glass) Film.
Old 27th April 2016, 17:56   #581
BHPian

A few days back, I got myself magnetic sun screens for my I-VTec. Best thing being, as it is stuck from inside on the window panes, it does not touch the glass. Advantages, you can roll down the glass but still the screen remains and it also provides space for the driver & co-passenger seat space in the front where the screen does not block and can be used for paying toll etc. Being made for the specific car covers the window panes perfectly.
Old 27th April 2016, 22:41   #582

I want to know if any Indian car manufacturer provides all glasses with heat resistant glass. If yes please provide an complete list.

It is very unfortunate to see that none of the sun film companies challenged the law.

It is a stupid law for a temperate country and 98% "Aam Admi" is effected for maybe just 2% of criminals. This should not be how laws should be made this is opposite of greater good. I hope that guy who caused this PIL lived in Kolkata. I would have made it my life's goal to make his life miserable.

I support SunFilm as 98% Indians are suffering for 2% criminals. This law is the opposite of greater good and must be challenged.

Last edited by bblost : 27th April 2016 at 23:19. Reason: Back 2 Back posts.
Glessrob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2016, 23:02   #583
BHPian

Glessrob pls go easy on the judgment of court. Any unfortunate/harsh language may attract the unexpected. We can understand your anger as we are sailing in the same boat. Soon one of the company will be required to address this situation as solution to it may keep them ahead of the competition. I will try to find out if there is any manufacturer providing heat resistant glass.
Old 28th April 2016, 06:59   #584
Senior - BHPian

If you feel so strongly about it, why don't you go ahead and challenge it? We Indians prefer to be critical spectators only.

By the way, in this instance, I don't think that the judgement is at all stupid, it is a very logical consequence of how the law stands and all it is doing is ensuring implementing of the law. Drum up support in parliament for changing the law, if you can.
Old 28th April 2016, 07:09   #585
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glessrob View Post
It is very unfortunate to see that none of the sun film companies challenged the law.
Unfortunate for whom ?

Btw, for the sunfilm manufacturing companies, this is side business Their sales are more for use in buildings.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks