Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2017, 14:23   #631
Senior - BHPian

Re: Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nohonking View Post
Solution: I use removable static electric sun shades. These stop 97% UV and 68.2% infra red or heat. These do not need any adhesive and can be stuck & removed any number of times. These get stick on the window pane utilizing the scientific principles of static electricity and atmospheric pressure to absorb on the glass. Very effective. I use them on my Honda Jazz when it is parked under the sun and during those long road trips when driving the whole day. An just in case needed, pull them off.

Let the picture speak the rest. Thanks.
I bought a set last week for the front windows of my Fiesta, and another for my daughter's Figo from the local accessories shop. They are also made in Taiwan. The cost of each set was 300 INR.

I've used them last week and found them to be effective. The only thing I am worried about is how long they will continue to stick without falling off.

I found one set enough as usually sunlight falls only on one side of the car. Hence a set of two will suffice.
Old 11th April 2017, 01:00   #632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Are you sure they are absolutely clear?
Yup. I haven't really noticed any colour in the glass, neither did the sales rep make any mention of this. It's just something I discovered later, while glancing though the features list on one of the car websites.
Old 11th April 2017, 17:47   #633
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can put my VW Polo GT TDI on the list. It has a slight grey tint all around. Not as good as CR70 at either glare or heat avoidance --- but better than clear glass.
Every after market product to be added to the glass is clearly illegal. Just because the police may be lax at different times/places does not change that fact.
I doubt that any car make now has glass with no tint. The unknown is what is being done, with or without tint, to achieve rejection of infra red and ultra violet and the question here to the quote above is how do you know whether or not the factory glass is as good as CR70?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biohazard View Post
According to VW:
"The heat-insulating, infrared-reflective glass contributes towards a pleasant interior climate. It reduces heat build-up inside the vehicle in hot ambient conditions and promotes the wellbeing of the occupants. At the same time, fuel consumption is lowered if an air conditioning system is running, as less energy will be required to cool down the interior to the desired temperature. This cuts costs."
Glass can be heavily tinted and not achieve what VW claims; there is no clear correlation between tint levels and this outcome. Every car maker in India needs to adopt this kind of tech; Maruti in their new cars does this with what they claim as UV cut glass. What we need is both UV cut and IR rejection, while using the full extent of the leeway allowed to the manufacturers with respect to visible light transmission.
Old 11th April 2017, 21:14   #634
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
... ... ... I doubt that any car make now has glass with no tint. The unknown is what is being done, with or without tint, to achieve rejection of infra red and ultra violet and the question here to the quote above is how do you know whether or not the factory glass is as good as CR70?.
Simply subjective comparison. I would say that my previous Polo with clear glass and CR70 was both cooler and had less glare.

It is not quite one-for-one, though: previous car was blue, this is black. The black car is going to be hotter whatever I do with the glass.

I just got new spectacles (and I only recently specs for distance vision) and they came with an almost-free offer on a 2nd-pair prescription sunglass.
Old 11th April 2017, 21:23   #635
Senior - BHPian

With the sun blazing in full force, I am tempted to go for the sunfilms. Having lost their ability to remain attached to the glasses and turning paler by the day, the black fabric stick ons are at the end of their life.

Parking in open makes the interiors worse. Has anyone tried the reflective vacuum stick up screens for the front windshield? Something like this:

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01DVPCAZS/..._APp7ybYBY998W

Would they be able to reduce the heat inside the car when parked in sunlight?

May be it is time someone files a petition in the Supreme Court requesting for a modification of the order banning sunfilms.
dailydriver is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 00:16   #636
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
With the sun blazing in full force, I am tempted to go for the sunfilms. Having lost their ability to remain attached to the glasses and turning paler by the day, the black fabric stick ons are at the end of their life.

Parking in open makes the interiors worse. Has anyone tried the reflective vacuum stick up screens for the front windshield? Something like this:

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01DVPCAZS/..._APp7ybYBY998W

Would they be able to reduce the heat inside the car when parked in sunlight?

May be it is time someone files a petition in the Supreme Court requesting for a modification of the order banning sunfilms.
They will for sure. I had them long time back for my fiesta. You dont need to stick them actually. Your sun visors act as a holder ( thats how it worked for my fiesta). If your car is parked in open then do get them.
Old 12th April 2017, 16:55   #637
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is not quite one-for-one, though: previous car was blue, this is black. The black car is going to be hotter whatever I do with the glass.
[/i]
Indeed. I remember reading somewhere of large differences in temperatures inside parked cars depending on their colour. Black obviously being the worst and white the best, under the merciless Indian summer sun. The other problem is the modern design that increases the glass house effect; look down on a car from a tall building and you see so much glass. To that extent, it doesn't matter what the colour of the car is!

Quote:
Parking in open makes the interiors worse. Has anyone tried the reflective vacuum stick up screens for the front windshield?
After eight hours parked in the sun, it doesn't matter if there is a working sun film or not; but these reflective screens do the job of keeping UV away from the front dash, and allow it to retain its colour for longer. The other thing that makes a huge difference is by leaving all windows, or even the front two, open by an inch so that hot air is always leaving the car from the top.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 17:01   #638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
After eight hours parked in the sun, it doesn't matter if there is a working sun film or not; but these reflective screens do the job of keeping UV away from the front dash, and allow it to retain its colour for longer. The other thing that makes a huge difference is by leaving all windows, or even the front two, open by an inch so that hot air is always leaving the car from the top.
Good idea.
But with so much dust and particulate matter in cities like NCR, Bangalore, isn't it better to keep it closed and bear the extreme discomfort for a few minutes (assume we are in a sauna )?
Old 12th April 2017, 17:10   #639
Senior - BHPian

There is that to consider, I agree. A solution there is to run the car with the AC on and all doors open for 5 minutes before leaving the parking. Let the accumulated hot air out rather than try to have the AC cool it.
Old 12th April 2017, 17:47   #640
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone tried the reflective vacuum stick up screens for the front windshield? Something like this:
I had used this for more than a year. This thing is super effective. Add those good quality stick-on side sun shades and it makes the cabin temperature even better. This is after parking the car on the roadside from 8.30am to 5.30pm.

Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-img_20151019_073101.jpg

Last edited by naveen.raju : 12th April 2017 at 17:53.
naveen.raju is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 18:29   #641
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
I had used this for more than a year. This thing is super effective. Add those good quality stick-on side sun shades and it makes the cabin temperature even better. This is after parking the car on the roadside from 8.30am to 5.30pm.
Do you place the reflective surface on the outside?
If yes, then wont it blind a person coming from the side (like in a junction) if the sunlight falls on the reflective surface directly?

Pls explore these possibilities and kindly refrain from using these if it has chance of affecting other motorists' visibility.
Old 12th April 2017, 19:00   #642
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
No. It is stuck to the front windshield using a vaccuum holder/sun visor (thanks nitinralli for this information) from inside the car.

The possibility of the reflection causing inconvenience to others seems unlikely.

A reference picture, borrowed from amazon.in:
Attached Thumbnails
Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-img_20170412_185248.jpg  

dailydriver is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 09:10   #643
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
If yes, then wont it blind a person coming from the side (like in a junction) if the sunlight falls on the reflective surface directly?

Pls explore these possibilities and kindly refrain from using these if it has chance of affecting other motorists' visibility.
No way. This can't be used while driving. Dont think anyone will be able to do so . As dailydriver mentioned, this is used when the car is parked.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 09:25   #644
BHPian

I've ordered the magnetic curtains as an option on my Ertiga to avoid the sun coming in from the large windows.

The curtains have zippers to which allows you to access at toll booths etc

Link for easy access of the product - http://www.amazon.in/s/ref=nb_sb_nos...-Maruti+Ertiga

Avoided the vacuum ones as they fall off easily due to heat.
The product is pretty cost competitive and easy to fit.

Please note - Use some tape or something in-between the door and the curtain as it can damage the paint on the door.

Borrowed the picture from amazon.

Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-capture.png

Cheers,
Amey
Amey Kulkarni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 17:51   #645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nohonking View Post
Solution:[/b] I use removable static electric sun shades. These stop 97% UV and 68.2% infra red or heat. These do not need any adhesive and can be stuck & removed any number of times. These get stick on the window pane utilizing the scientific principles of static electricity and atmospheric pressure to absorb on the glass. Very effective. I use them on my Honda Jazz when it is parked under the sun and during those long road trips when driving the whole day. An just in case needed, pull them off.

Let the picture speak the rest. Thanks.
Very effective even though it doesn't cover the entire window? Searched for them on amazon and saw the same thing i.e. it comes in just one size and isn't matted to any particular window's shape.

Most Viewed