Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2019, 19:55   #736
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 62
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

As they say, the law is an ass. This quibbling about which film to use to escape the cops or will removing films help control crime is just academic. I had film on my windows. I had to remove the films by the cops and had to bear the heat for a couple of summers. Then I installed the black window shades (that had those mini holes) fully covering the windows. I have never been questioned by the cops. But the fact remains that visibility looking into the vehicle is virtually NIL. So much for law and logic.
nitnab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2019, 23:49   #737
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 9,647
Thanked: 16,003 Times
Default Re: Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

I'm not a scientist, but there seems to me to be a problem with the assertion that holding your hand in front of a light source and feeling heat shows that visible light carries heat. It seems to me that it shows that the object radiates heat as well as visible light.

Many sources of light produce light as the result of heating something up. Even a candle flame.

Am I talking sense? I don't mind if the answer is no...
Thad E Ginathom is offline  
Old 19th May 2019, 23:57   #738
BHPian
 
batish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: -
Posts: 205
Thanked: 338 Times
Default Re: Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitnab View Post
I installed the black window shades (that had those mini holes) fully covering the windows. I have never been questioned by the cops. But the fact remains that visibility looking into the vehicle is virtually NIL.
They never stopped you?

I have seen many vehicles being challaned because of this in Delhi NCR. Never used them till now, but with mercury rising this is the only cheap, logical and feasible option left.

Tints are too damn expensive


This ban has only affected mango people, no VIP is affected with this. Most of the judges, bureaucrats, politicians, officers, celebrities have curtains or tints on their cars. Nobody questions them. Even people with luxury cars get inbuilt blinds for rear occupants. The only people affected are people in 3-30L category.

Last edited by batish : 20th May 2019 at 00:04.
batish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2019, 21:22   #739
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 4,075
Thanked: 7,133 Times
Default Re: Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

If you stick sun film on your windshield all you need is one additional sticker to make it perfectly all right. And no I don't mean the L board sticker
Attached Thumbnails
Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-abd92d970ba74f5dac438fc11535c2f3.jpeg  

hserus is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 10:49   #740
BHPian
 
RM Motorsports's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 777
Thanked: 2,503 Times
Default Re: Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

State traffic department issued a circular on June 21 which stated their office received several complaints about private as well as government vehicles still using dark films.

The department has given instructions to all traffic posts to crackdown on such vehicles.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/69949281.cms
RM Motorsports is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2019, 22:23   #741
BHPian
 
pavi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Cochin
Posts: 822
Thanked: 1,560 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (9)
Default Re: Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

For those who are using magnetic sun blinds/shades (the one with holes covering the windows) on car windows, your door frames may be getting scratched. I discovered the same on my car door frames today while washing the car. Removed the sun blinds then and there.

Last edited by pavi : 29th June 2019 at 22:24.
pavi is offline  
Old 9th March 2020, 15:53   #742
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Jalgaon
Posts: 410
Thanked: 260 Times
Default Re: Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

Sun films are banned. But sun will continue to pummel @ 48+ degrees in summer. Do i get the glasses sprayed with the "heat resistant spray" or do paint them in a darker tint?
Swapnil4585 is offline  
Old 9th March 2020, 17:01   #743
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 12,891
Thanked: 8,412 Times
Default Re: Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
Do i get the glasses sprayed with the "heat resistant spray" or do paint them in a darker tint?
What kind of spray are you referring to ? I had got a spray through a fellow member for the side-glasses. Not sure how much it has helped, but one thing is - it's quite delicate in a way. I accidentally used some paper to clean the sprayed-side of the glass and the coating now has scratches (swirls). Apparently one must use the micro-fibre to wipe it.
condor is online now  
Old 10th March 2020, 07:40   #744
Distinguished - BHPian
 
procrj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,574
Thanked: 3,922 Times
Default Re: Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I had got a spray through a fellow member for the side-glasses.
Please do share details of the spray and a link if possible. Even BLR is pretty hot right now and it will only get worse over the next month or so.
procrj is online now  
Old 14th March 2020, 10:35   #745
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Jalgaon
Posts: 410
Thanked: 260 Times
Default Re: Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
What kind of spray are you referring to ? I had got a spray through a fellow member for the side-glasses. Not sure how much it has helped, but ..
Summers are knocking and over here the entire April and May will be in excess of 44. So I intend to use (most probably) sun films with say 50% visibility on all 6 glasses so as to reduce inside heat and if there is actually any such option available, then also get the roof painted / coated with any "heat resistant spray". I am allergic to air conditioners and therefore the other occupants in the car have to suffer.
Swapnil4585 is offline  
Old 16th March 2020, 10:52   #746
BHPian
 
kochicar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 39
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Cars with UV cut glass.

Mods, can we have a separate thread with list of cars with UV cut glass? Or at least one that provide internal sunshade which is legal? It do help build awareness among public and help while making purchase decisions.
Once end user start demanding, manufactures slowly move to that era too.
1. Maruti Baleno
2. Kia Seltos
3.?
kochicar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 13:55   #747
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 310
Thanked: 106 Times
Default Re: Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

Even though I had wasted quite a lot of money here in Hyderabad after the sun films were peeled off from my cars, under duress, I hadn't actually read the Supreme court rule regarding this. Most motorists in the city were shown a photocopy of some oder by traffic cops where the penal provision was printed in bold letters.

Cut to today, the following is the court order, running into 27 paras. Here's the 23.

23. In light of the above discussion, we have no hesitation in holding that use of black films or any other material upon safety glass, windscreen and side windows is impermissible. In
terms of Rule 100(2), 70 per cent and 50 per cent VLT standard are relatable to the manufacture of the safety glasses for the windshields (front and rear) and the side windows
respectively. Use of films or any other material upon the windscreen or the side windows is impermissible in law. It is the VLT of the safety glass without any additional material being
pasted upon the safety glasses which must conform with manufacture specifications.

I think the wordings "Use of films or any other material upon the windscreen or the side windows is impermissible in law” is significant because the prohibition is not categorical regarding use of mesh/magnetic screens that do not touch the glass.

What do you think?
lejhoom is offline  
Old 22nd March 2020, 07:13   #748
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: everywhere
Posts: 31
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: Cars with UV cut glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kochicar View Post
Mods, can we have a separate thread with list of cars with UV cut glass? Or at least one that provide internal sunshade which is legal? It do help build awareness among public and help while making purchase decisions.
Once end user start demanding, manufactures slowly move to that era too.
1. Maruti Baleno
2. Kia Seltos
3.?
Fortuner,Crysta also comes with UV cut glasses.
Divyendu Sharma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 21:05   #749
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 35
Thanked: 38 Times
Default Re: Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by lejhoom View Post
In terms of Rule 100(2), 70 per cent and 50 per cent VLT standard are relatable to the manufacture of the safety glasses for the windshields (front and rear) and the side windows
respectively. Use of films or any other material upon the windscreen or the side windows is impermissible in law. It is the VLT of the safety glass without any additional material being
pasted upon the safety glasses which must conform with manufacture specifications.
Thank you. Finally understood the judgement. There are dozens of sources on the internet which are claiming that 70% and 50% visibility sun films/ tints are allowed. The point to be noted, as I understand, is that these limits are for the vehicle manufacturer only. Any modification like sunfilm/ tinted glass is illegal irrespective of the visibility criteria!
Is that so?
MadTitan47 is offline  
Old 23rd August 2020, 07:20   #750
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 62
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTitan47 View Post
Thank you. Finally understood the judgement. There are dozens of sources on the internet which are claiming that 70% and 50% visibility sun films/ tints are allowed. The point to be noted, as I understand, is that these limits are for the vehicle manufacturer only. Any modification like sunfilm/ tinted glass is illegal irrespective of the visibility criteria!
Is that so?
That's my understanding too. Probably the reason could be the assumption that the glass inherently has 70 and 50% VLT so anything stuck on it would reduce it further. Logically the rule should have been to allow actually measurable minimum 70 and 50% VLT irrespective of the glass having film or any other coating. But then that would require the police to have meters to check it out.
nitnab is offline   (2) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks