Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2020, 00:32   #751
BHPian

Re: Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

I have been using the curtains provided by the manufacturer on my BMW 530i and I have been issues a slip in Chandigarh a couple of days ago.

What I don’t understand, is that how can an equipment supplied by a manufacturer be illegal to use if the same has been passed by the government themselves.

I’ll try to add more to the thread in terms of details tomorrow.
Ravi_chd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 00:40   #752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi_chd View Post

What I don’t understand, is that how can an equipment supplied by a manufacturer be illegal to use if the same has been passed by the government themselves.
Apparently sun shades on Seltos Creta and City are only to be used when cars are parked and not in motion.
Old 30th August 2020, 00:40   #753
BHPian

Quote:
I have been using the curtains provided by the manufacturer on my BMW 530i and I have been issues a slip in Chandigarh a couple of days ago.
That’s the norm.
Having learned the hard way itself,Chandigarh traffic cops don’t care if the car comes with a side or rear curtains from factory or if they are aftermarket.
If you use them they will fine you.
Old 30th August 2020, 00:42   #754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishlinea7260 View Post
That’s the norm.
Having learned the hard way itself,Chandigarh traffic cops don’t care if the car comes with a side or rear curtains from factory or if they are aftermarket.
If you use them they will fine you.
But isn’t it absurd ?
If these aren’t supposed to be used, should these not be allowed to pass at the time of registering the vehicle ?
Old 30th August 2020, 00:53   #755
BHPian

Quote:
But isn’t it absurd ?
If these aren’t supposed to be used, should these not be allowed to pass at the time of registering the vehicle ?
It’s absurd, yes but they’re not technically wrong.
As per the Supreme Court ruling the use of films of any percentage or any other material on windscreens and side glasses of all vehicles throughout India is prohibited.
Traffic Cops in other states are not that finicky about lighter shade of sun films or curtains but in Chandigarh they tend to enforce the rules harshly to generate revenue.
No amount of reasoning is going to make them understand.
A friend on his way to his own engagement got fined once for the same.
Old 19th November 2020, 13:08   #756

I've had the magnetic fabric blinds with holes that latch on to window frames for a few months here in Maharashtra.
No questions from cops yet. How much of the engine heat makes its way into the cabin?
If I cannot tackle the sun through the glasses, can I increase insulation between the engine and cabin?
Also, is there a way to increase insulation on the roof, between the layers?
How much of the road's heat makes its way into the cabin from below? What are my options with insulation under the floormats?

Another thing I realized: I have a huge boot and my car AC unnecessarily spends energy trying to keep the boot area cool. Maybe I can partition the passenger area from the boot area (the part above the boot tray) with a transparent sheet of some sort? So that I can continue to see through my rear windshield but there is no exchange between the air from my AC and the air in the boot area.
spydruler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 12:55   #757

Question.. for help. with summer approaching now, i have put a 70% VLT on the side windows of My SCross car for 6 years now. No question from BLR cops so far and i have not been stopped anywhere for this so far.

the existing 70% VLT is of no use in terms of tapering the heat inside the cabin and to add to it, SCross has no Rear- AC Vents, I am thinking to put a sun film of 50% VLT which after scouting the net, I got to know many saying, the only 2 options of aftermarket sun films VLT %tages allowed is 50 and 70.. Is this true, or is still that No sun film of any %tage NOT allowed unless its an OEM.

Any Govt reference website or link wud also help.
Old 15th March 2021, 13:30   #758
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemu-24-07 View Post
Is this true, or is still that No sun film of any %tage NOT allowed
This is still true.

Quote:
unless its an OEM.
Wrong! The VLT percentage applicable as per law is only for the glass and not the sun-film.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 14:23   #759
BHPian

Recently my brother in law's Rolls Royce Phantom was pulled over for having black tinted rear windows. The cop kept insisting to have the 'film' removed and the driver had a hard time explaining that there is no film and the car has come with black tinted windows as standard.

Finally a compromise was reached with the driver agreeing to keep the windows rolled down while driving. Can you imagine how ridiculous this sounds? How do our courts come up with lame brained orders like these and expect people to follow blindly.
manishk123 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 14:28   #760
Distinguished - BHPian

Sunfilms will get you into trouble some day or the other , I used to get through 11 police checkpoints on my daily commute to office, there is no escape. Once you are stopped , its game over.

For the policemen its about the vehicle visibly appearing to have sunfilm from a distance - and they stop you. If your vehicle has survived many years with the sunfilm, best to leave it as is and get the AC checked if its working in its prime.
Old 15th March 2021, 14:34   #761
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk123 View Post
Can you imagine how ridiculous this sounds? How do our courts come up with lame brained orders like these and expect people to follow blindly.
The sun-film rule allows darker tints IF it is OEM. This cop may have been ignorant of the fact that this car came with factory tints as standard.
Old 15th March 2021, 14:44   #762
BHPian

Yesterday, I was driving and saw a white Innova Crysta honking like no other and flashing lights to everyone on the road. Apparently, that car belonged to a High Court Judge (as stated on the name board).

What is funny here is, that car had all the wrong things which were banned by the law. Such as Curtains on the rear windshield, both side windows, at quarter glass area and a SUPER LOUD horn that literally gave me ear pain for a few seconds. Also, the window glasses look very dark, it might be extremely dark OEM window glasses from Totoya or sun films. My neighbour's Innova Crysta does not have such dark tinted glasses anyway.

But the public should obey everything
igemini is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 00:31   #763
BHPian

I have such cheap shades on all the four glasses by default, (Universal Sun Shades - Amazon) which I am too lazy to take off even during evenings or nights at times.

It has been 3 years now, and despite being stopped by cops a few times for routine checks, they have never objected to this.
Old 24th March 2021, 07:15   #764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk123 View Post
Recently my brother in law's Rolls Royce Phantom was pulled over for having black tinted rear windows.
Your BIL is probably the most huble Rolls-Royce owner in our entire country, had it been someone else, the driver would have called few of his good "connections" or whatever they call it and walked away with apologies from the guy in uniform.

Back to the topic, I am working in extremely harsh conditions and lack of sunfilm is surely draining my energy.
giri1.8 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 16:31   #765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by igemini View Post
Yesterday, I was driving and saw a white Innova Crysta honking like no other and flashing lights to everyone on the road. Apparently, that car belonged to a High Court Judge (as stated on the name board).

What is funny here is, that car had all the wrong things which were banned by the law. Such as Curtains on the rear windshield, both side windows, at quarter glass area and a SUPER LOUD horn that literally gave me ear pain for a few seconds. Also, the window glasses look very dark, it might be extremely dark OEM window glasses from Totoya or sun films. My neighbour's Innova Crysta does not have such dark tinted glasses anyway.

But the public should obey everything
1. Bull Bars
2. Number plate modifications

I generally take a picture and inform Traffic Police . They will take care.

Most Viewed